2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

2018 United States Open

Darth Putter

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, absolutely a note of congratulations to Brooks Koepka.

Because we have had another US Open with controversy and probably a skewed result - Dustin Johnson's results on Saturday were arguably caused partly to the poor playing conditions. The impact on him seems pretty clear. What the USGA has done with their course setups is to put doubt into peoples mind's, and at some point this will become doubt in the legitimacy of the US Open as a top tournament.

This over fascination with deep rough (a common complaint in years past) and beyond managable greens has got to end. This is our National Championship that we are talking about and tweaking with and "playing" at the limits of playability is, at this point, entirely disrespectful to our Open Championship to the world and even to ourselves. Rough conditions that are appropriate, and greens that will hold well played shots are mandatory. The title, US Open, does a lot by itself to bring out the best in top players, present a challenge, and strike fear.

I want to see our National Championship shine as it shoud. Poor course setups, and if I remember rightly some over zealous rulings in years past, and bad behavior by the spectators: clean it all up, now!

DJ's poor Saturday round was due to completely loosing his putting stroke - especially on the front 9. He had 38 putts Saturday and 35 on Sunday - close to the worst in the field! It got so bad on Sunday he started taking way too much time trying to get the line from his caddie and still coming up woefully short on most of his putts.

Agree Dustin's poor play was due to poor putting. He has been known to get a lead & seemingly go on walkabout before. A lot of people were already crowning him the champion Friday, they should have remembered this.

Never understood why some people think difficult or poor conditions affect one player more than the other. It's like the bit about the headline when we learn the world is about to end: "World To End In 10 Days; Women, Minorities Hardest Hit"

I think it was pure exhaustion over the weekend for DJ as well. Lets not forget that he played and won last week. After he won they asked him about the US Open and said he would be getting a round in on Monday, plus all the practice Tuesday/Wednesday. Dude has played golf everyday for the last at least 11 days, and been the leader/tied for the lead the last 8 rounds of golf he has played. Not giving him an excuse by any means because he has a history of coming up short. But mentally it has to be draining to go out there that many days in a row. Choke job, whatever you want to call it. The grind he has been on is tolling, especially when you have zero confidence putting.

Points well taken about DJ. Over here in France, you have to watch a "pay channel" to see the US Open, which I didn't do. But, he was in the last group on Saturday which means that he would have been the most effected by the continually drying out greens that afternoon... seems reasonable to say.

Things I took away from the us open:

1) The greens were worst than most goat tracks. Bumpy and fast doesn’t prove anything.

2) The USGA hasn’t got a clue on what to change when the weather changes.

3) The best golfers wasn’t identified even though Koepka is a great golfer.

The best golfer is the one who puts up the lowest score, period. Koepka wins the US open last year in record setting form, takes a huge break due to injury, has less than 2 months of tournament golf to prep for the US open and goes and repeats.

Give me a break. Did you even watch the US Open? Did you see how many clutch par saves he made?

This seriously. Regardless of one's thoughts on the grand stand "helping" his hook, he made such a clutch chip. The grass back there was mowed super tight, and that green sloped back to front... I watched so many dudes three and even four putt that hole on Saturday. It looked so simple but that chip was so clutch. If he didn't knock that chip close he had a real chance to 3 putt and let Fleetwood in the back door. BK is a legit golfer from tee to green, he had no real weakness other than a few errant shots. If he keeps this up and stays healthy I think he's got a shot at least 5-6 more Majors in his career. Huge distance with soft hands?? That's a winning combo.

you can go back in this thread and i said around hole 12ish that Koepka was not going to win. i thought for sure it would not be able to keep making putts that mattered. I was wrong, the best golfer ( at least the best last week) is holding the trophy. i am a bigger fan of him today, than i was before. He showed a ton of competitive guts.

I said the same thing, and he just kept draining them.

Things I took away from the us open:

1) The greens were worst than most goat tracks. Bumpy and fast doesn’t prove anything.

2) The USGA hasn’t got a clue on what to change when the weather changes.

3) The best golfers wasn’t identified even though Koepka is a great golfer.

The best golfer is the one who puts up the lowest score, period. Koepka wins the US open last year in record setting form, takes a huge break due to injury, has less than 2 months of tournament golf to prep for the US open and goes and repeats.

Give me a break. Did you even watch the US Open? Did you see how many clutch par saves he made?

Yes I did watch it and it sucked.

The tournament absolutely went to the guy who played the best over the course of the week. Brooks had a great week, or at least 3 days, of Ball Striking and putting. Really good things tend to happen when you pair a week of top 5 most GIRs and top 10 fewest putts. I believe BK was the only guy in the top 10 GIRs and top 10 fewest putts. That led to him having the 4th most birdies.

It's pretty hard to slice the numbers to say someone played better then Brooks. He had a pretty complete week. His putting down the stretch was incredible, especially compared to the other guys making a push. Look at the misses by DJ all weekend. The misses by Fleetwood on 16 and 18. Those were putts BK was draining.

Brooks went out there and won that golf tournament. He didn't back into it, he didn't post a score early, he went out there on Sunday tied for the lead and played absolutely more sound than any of the other leaders (Fleetwood wasn't teeing off as a leader).

DJ hit the ball really well all week but his putter simply went cold. I think he got frustrated Saturday and the greens put some doubt in his mind going into Sunday. I think that doubt and lack of confidence led to DJ's struggles on the greens on Sunday. He didn't seem to take a confident stroke the entire round.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

^^ DJ left so many putts short, especially Sunday. Really tough to do on greens rolling that fast unless you are really unsure of your stroke.

I think he needs to go back to a blade or something. That spider did get him some wins, but lately it's failing him, and being such a high MOI mallet maybe it's not cluing him in to some of his miss hits? I was never a fan of that insert... distance control was so tough for me. Obviously I am not a pro but I struggled so hard with the Spider on long putts. Short putts it was gold... could not lag for anything though with it.

^^ DJ left so many putts short, especially Sunday. Really tough to do on greens rolling that fast unless you are really unsure of your stroke.

I think he needs to go back to a blade or something. That spider did get him some wins, but lately it's failing him, and being such a high MOI mallet maybe it's not cluing him in to some of his miss hits? I was never a fan of that insert... distance control was so tough for me. Obviously I am not a pro but I struggled so hard with the Spider on long putts. Short putts it was gold... could not lag for anything though with it.

you could tell during the final round especially that he had lost it. His caddie bro aimpointing all the lines, taking for every. tentative stroke, he had no idea. i think Saturdays blood bath crushed him spiritually around the greens.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

you could tell during the final round especially that he had lost it. His caddie bro aimpointing all the lines, taking for every. tentative stroke, he had no idea. i think Saturdays blood bath crushed him spiritually around the greens.

I would agree and calm cool DJ dropping F bombs Saturday, frustration and exhaustion set in. he was toast. I was pretty surprised going into the back 9, he still had a legit chance at making a run at it.

I would agree and calm cool DJ dropping F bombs Saturday, frustration and exhaustion set in. he was toast. I was pretty surprised going into the back 9, he still had a legit chance at making a run at it.

Well I think that's evidence of how well he hit the ball all week. I mean he was in it with a few holes left and he had absolutely no confidence in the flat stick. But the greens absolutely got to him and once he lost confidence it was basically over

On Sunday, DJ was putting to not 3 putt. He wasn't putting to make putts. That's never a good feeling.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

I've been following BK since his days in Europe. This guy is tough as nails. I am surprised he hasn't won more regular tour stops but 1 US Open = 10 regular tour wins. :D

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Would rather watch those athletes play golf than whiny Yippy Spieth ... Koepka wins another major(s) and he will real soon and then Yippy will be yesterday's news.

Sorry, buddy, but Jordan Spieth has a lot more greatness in front of him. Of all the guys currently playing he will achieve more than any other going forward.

Are you smoking crack right now?

Lol. He ain't wrong. Wait and see. Jordan is still the next to chase 10 majors. It ain't DJ. It isn't Rory , and Day and Koepka are way to hit and miss to say that about. Jordan's putting is all mental. He will overcome it. And look out when he does

Jordan doesn't have the ball striking ability to win 10. He is a substandard driver of the ball.

No he isn’t. That’s a myth perpetuated by the he’s not a long hitter crowd. His ball striking ability is very good. Not sure where you get that

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

BK is the US Open slayer, why doesn't he win more regular tour events? Is he the best major champion without 10 tour wins? lol

Both courses he won on have no trees and are wide open so they fit his eye. he doesnt win more because hes not good enough week to week to win more. It happens.ill wait and see how his next 3-5 years go but i wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt add much in the W column

I said it before and I'll say it again:

Do away with "protect par" because IMO that's what leads to things like what happened Saturday where you couldn't go to the high side of the pin.

Adopt a "testing all facets of the game" mantra. Place pins in ways that guys need to draw, fade, hit it high, run it back. Tee shots that require driver, require a yardage, have tight landing zones. If you set up a course that everything is tested, and scores end up over par, oh well. If it ends up under par, oh well.

What I think is really interesting looking lately is the lower scores are happening at the longer courses where you can just go driver on almost every tee. These guys seem to be struggling on more classic courses where you have to hit spots, with bigger more moving greens.

I talked about this with a co-worker the other day. Build a rota for the US Open:

Oakmont

Pebble Beach

Winged Foot

Olympic

Shinnecock

OPEN

Pinehurst #2

Torrey Pines

In the open rota spot I would like to see Congressional, LACC, Merion, Olympia. I think this is where you throw in things like Chambers Bay, Erin Hills, and other potential one off sites. This way places like that are really spread out and you don't throw in too many hard to adjust too sites. It also alternates between coasts year to year so you don't overload one side of the country without visiting the other. What this also allows you to do is build some familiarity with the courses like we get with the Open Championship, where you and the players know the course, and we start to get some better course setups because USGA leadership will really get to know the course and can be set up better for rules, course setup, and just the event period.

Agree. I have been saying this for years. The rotation idea is a great idea.

+1....great idea. But, Olympic is already (voluntarily) out of the Rota. Gone with the PGA/Ryder Cup..

Damn I forgot about that. Maybe put LACC in that spot.

If it weren’t so middle of nowhere Brandon Dunes would be an excellent choice.

Bethpage black as well in rota

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

This seriously. Regardless of one's thoughts on the grand stand "helping" his hook, he made such a clutch chip. The grass back there was mowed super tight, and that green sloped back to front... I watched so many dudes three and even four putt that hole on Saturday. It looked so simple but that chip was so clutch. If he didn't knock that chip close he had a real chance to 3 putt and let Fleetwood in the back door. BK is a legit golfer from tee to green, he had no real weakness other than a few errant shots. If he keeps this up and stays healthy I think he's got a shot at least 5-6 more Majors in his career. Huge distance with soft hands?? That's a winning combo.

Truly. The only thing that can stop him now is a massive drinking problem and a small collection of money hungry ex wives.

His exes will have rolexes

Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Do away with "protect par" because IMO that's what leads to things like what happened Saturday where you couldn't go to the high side of the pin.

Adopt a "testing all facets of the game" mantra. Place pins in ways that guys need to draw, fade, hit it high, run it back. Tee shots that require driver, require a yardage, have tight landing zones. If you set up a course that everything is tested, and scores end up over par, oh well. If it ends up under par, oh well.

What I think is really interesting looking lately is the lower scores are happening at the longer courses where you can just go driver on almost every tee. These guys seem to be struggling on more classic courses where you have to hit spots, with bigger more moving greens.

I talked about this with a co-worker the other day. Build a rota for the US Open:

Oakmont

Pebble Beach

Winged Foot

Olympic

Shinnecock

OPEN

Pinehurst #2

Torrey Pines

In the open rota spot I would like to see Congressional, LACC, Merion, Olympia. I think this is where you throw in things like Chambers Bay, Erin Hills, and other potential one off sites. This way places like that are really spread out and you don't throw in too many hard to adjust too sites. It also alternates between coasts year to year so you don't overload one side of the country without visiting the other. What this also allows you to do is build some familiarity with the courses like we get with the Open Championship, where you and the players know the course, and we start to get some better course setups because USGA leadership will really get to know the course and can be set up better for rules, course setup, and just the event period.

+1....great idea. But, Olympic is already (voluntarily) out of the Rota. Gone with the PGA/Ryder Cup..

Bethpage black as well in rota

Great course, but do you really want to go back to New York?

When people compare eras and come to the conclusion golfers of today are far superior, just had an insight to how courses were back in the day but with narrower fairways and longer rough

You forgot that modern greens are far faster and firmer than in the old days.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

When people compare eras and come to the conclusion golfers of today are far superior, just had an insight to how courses were back in the day but with narrower fairways and longer rough

I tend to agree but i wouldn't say far faster, they could be just as hard and on top of that bumpy as well

I tend to agree but i wouldn't say far faster, they could be just as hard and on top of that bumpy as well

Yeah, because poa seed heads are a new phenomenon.

I have played courses in UK with plenty of poa as a constituent of their greens turf. Late in the day or during certain tyoes of weather the seed heads can be quite viable. But on a course Stimping in the 8-9 range you just kind of take the flowering poa in stride. Speed up the non-poa grass by 50% and I’d imagine it becomes more like pinball than putting.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

Oakmont

Pebble Beach

Winged Foot

Olympic

Shinnecock

OPEN

Pinehurst #2

Torrey Pines

Bethpage black as well in rota.

Like the Olympic Club, Bethpage has been lured away by the PGA of America. It will host the 2019 PGA Championship and the 2024 Ryder Cup.

If you are a member of a track worthy of hosting a US Open, do you even want the USGA to put their magic on it?

Ping G424 Max (9) - Ping Tour 65 S
Ping G425 2 Hybrid (16) - Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95 TS
Ping G425 3 Hybrid (20) - Aldila Rogue Black Hybrid 95 TS
PXG Gen 5 0331P irons 5 - G - Steel fiber PR I110

Cleveland Smart Sole 4 chipper 42 (Damn chipping yips)
Cleveland CBX 2 54 - Dynamic Gold 115 
Cleveland Smart Sole 4 58 - Dynamic Gold 115 
Scotty Futura M6 dual balance 37 in / 40g    

9 HC

I was at Shinnecock on Saturday. There were a couple of almost overwhelming impressions I had about the place. First, the course seems like it is stretched out on a very dry sandy hill in the wind. Second, some of the fairways and bunkers seem absolutely massive. The fairways pitch and roll and many of the greens are significantly elevated, often surrounded by cavernous bunkers. In the heat and the wind, out in the open like that, approach shots just looked scary. Those greens were almost shining in the sun. I found one of the only spots in the shade next to the 17th green (Ruth”s Chris Steakhouse concession was right behind us). One other thing: sunset was surreal. A shout out to an incredible round by Tommy F, and congrats to the champion, BK.