2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2018 United States Open

Darth Putter

First of all, absolutely a note of congratulations to Brooks Koepka.

Because we have had another US Open with controversy and probably a skewed result - Dustin Johnson's results on Saturday were arguably caused partly to the poor playing conditions. The impact on him seems pretty clear. What the USGA has done with their course setups is to put doubt into peoples mind's, and at some point this will become doubt in the legitimacy of the US Open as a top tournament.

This over fascination with deep rough (a common complaint in years past) and beyond managable greens has got to end. This is our National Championship that we are talking about and tweaking with and "playing" at the limits of playability is, at this point, entirely disrespectful to our Open Championship to the world and even to ourselves. Rough conditions that are appropriate, and greens that will hold well played shots are mandatory. The title, US Open, does a lot by itself to bring out the best in top players, present a challenge, and strike fear.

I want to see our National Championship shine as it shoud. Poor course setups, and if I remember rightly some over zealous rulings in years past, and bad behavior by the spectators: clean it all up, now!

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poulter has a point. It's embarrassing & the tour needs to start dealing with it. These people aren't golf fans, they're there because they were hooked up corporately or something along those lines. They don't give a **** about what's going on or the outcome. Start throwing the dilly dilly'd mashed potatoe Bud Light drinking d-bags out.

They, the organizers don't care.. If they did they'd pay more OT to the cops and have them at every tee box, the first MOUTH gets tossed out and if drunk, its off to drunk tank!

I was really looking forward to it all before the week started, in the end I was kinda glad that it was over and done with.

Pleased for Koepka getting the win which is a heck of an achievement given how long he was out for but beyond that, there is precious little good to come out of the whole week. A great golf course made to look awful, justified complaints from the players and the only thing drowning those out were the complete clowns who seemed to make up the gallery.

Roll on The Open, hopefully that will be a much better weekend for golf.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Hate to admit it, but Poulter has legitimate beefs. If it weren't IJP, I bet more people would be agreeing here, but it is. The fans in the U.S. are getting to be an embarrassment. "Nice shot, Chubby", and "How's your ankle?".... LOW class a--hats. The mics on course should be nowhere near the fans anymore... If the players say something offensive they are given a consequence, if the fans do similar, nothing is ever done..... There is a certain integrity to the game that somehow we hold the players to but not ever the spectators. Can we stop acting like uncivilized attention seekers, please!!?

My question, do these drunk clowns brag about it after, replay the footage days later, and force their loser friends to watch it?

They're probably on the horn minutes after asking, "hey brah, ju here me during Reed's tee shot?"

Mash potatoes = played out/juvenile

Nice shot, chubby = me climbing into the gallery to shove a 9-iron up somebody's a**!

I have posted it before but as soon as they start arresting them for PI it will end. A few hours in jail and a lot explaining to do in job interviews will make an impact

Why do people chant USA during a f-----g stroke play tournament. It sounds so bad, and tacky. These people aren't patriots, they are dumb, drunk idiots who probably have less patriotism than most.

Give me a bunch of beer so I can yell MURICA on TV as loud as possible. It is embarrassing.

How would it sound if the crowds at Carnoustie were yelling Ole, Ole when Americans hit bad shots?

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

course looked fantastic except for the greens.......easy fix - axe m. davis.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

Sorry to write this, but I am tired of all the whining from both players, writers, and people here.

As the Fox commentators said yesterday the USGA screwed up two pin placements on Saturday, 13 and 15. The rest of the course was really, really difficult but not unfair. Yeah, they might have made the greens a little softer Saturday but even listening to leaders coming off the course they almost all said the course was tough but fair. And while the greens were too chewed up for the last pairings, that's life. Bad wind is bad wind, the the people who set the course are not God, and they will make mistakes.

Maybe next year they should start the leaders first on Saturday and Sunday so they get the best conditions to play under, and let the back of the pack deal with dried out greens, spike marks, etc. Then there will be no complaints about the course setup from anyone, right?

Last year the course was too easy, the year before that the greens were too fast and the rough too high. Everyone has nothing but complaints, but no real answers to the problems they see. The only solution people offer is fire Mike Davis and let the winning score be -20 every year. But then it is not the US Open, it's a PGA Tour stop.

I'm left handed, and I also remember the days when it was almost impossible to buy left handed clubs, so I am a big Phil fan. As a guy who has officiated sports for a very long time, I've seen a lot of good players lose their cool and do something really stupid they later regret. That is exactly what he did. He may be frustrated at the USGA, the pin placements, whatever, but what he did was wrong. The USGA got the rule application correct, and if people don't like it, change the rule. Nobody knows what was going on in Phil's mind when he did it, and his reputation will take a hit for a while.

But what he did was nothing like Tiger did, and in spite of what he did he is being complimented for his comeback and his changed attitude in public. The same process will happen to Phil in time, once everyone stops beating on him and trying to figure out why he did it. He had an emotional response to a problem in a tournament he wants to win. it's time to let it go.

One other point about this: I will bet this is not the first time something crazy like this happened in a major tournament. But it is the first time it happened in the modern history of golf coverage by the media, when every shot or event can be seen by everyone who cares and there are untold numbers of outlets and commentators filled with hot air and 24 hour sports channels with air time to fill and rating points to earn.

IMO it was a great tournament, a great player won it, enjoy it for what it is and people should stop throwing salt on all the open wounds, real or imagined, that they see. If you want a perfect course and a perfect tournament, you will be waiting a while.

Why do people chant USA during a f-----g stroke play tournament. It sounds so bad, and tacky. These people aren't patriots, they are dumb, drunk idiots who probably have less patriotism than most.

Give me a bunch of beer so I can yell MURICA on TV as loud as possible. It is embarrassing.

How would it sound if the crowds at Carnoustie were yelling Ole, Ole when Americans hit bad shots?

There is a big hate for Poulter. On Saturday at 16, the USA chants started when Poulter showed up to the green.

Other idiots yelling:

" You can do it Tiger " " Go Tiger " " Tiger ".......to Tony Finau.

" Beef, you really are fat " followed by monkey noises and sex moans. "

And finally, New Yorkers are the rudest idiots. On many occasions I'd be talking to someone/salesman ( whether it be at Bestbuy, Walmart, or US Open Merchandise store ) and some New Yorker just blatantly butt in asking where products are and or asking for help. HELLO, IM TALKING TO THE SALESMAN, I WAITED MY TURN, DO THE SAME THING.

The thing that made me shake my head the most:

There were 2 smokers in their motorized wheelchairs some 20 yards away from the ropes in the SHADE ( the only tree on the golf course ). When the crowd would stop in front of the rope to watch play, these arsewipes would yell and tell the people to get out of the way cuz they can't see. This was not a designated handicap zone. It was just two entitled arsewipes who thought their ticket included bigger real estate than others.

Duval made the best point of the week....have the USGA bring in consultants for both Euro and PGA Tours to assist on setups from day to day.....make good sense to me

USGA know what they're are doing. They purposely went to the edge with a few hole locations on Saturday. If there was no wind, everything would have been fine. Wind forecast was 8mph, it got up to 20 mph. That's a game changer.

PGATOUR and Euro also do a great job.

this was such a weird week of golf for me. i dont have a ton of strong emotions regarding it. I have always been a fan of Phil, the 13th green thing was odd, his explanation odder, but i listened to Brandel talk about it this morning, on Mike and Mike. (i know its not Mike and Mike anymore) and he is totally offended by it. I know people wanted him to be DQ'd. But he was assessed the proper penalty. if there is a rule and and penalty does it really matter if you broke it intentionally or not? I dont think motivation matters. Just like speeding, if you are doing it intentionally or not does not really matter when you are given a ticket.

i dont know, i just feel that when most of the talk is about something other than the actual competition, than it was a fail.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

its a good think DJ and Brooks dont speak for a living.... dont expect them at any mensa meetings any time soon.... the most enthusiastic thing DJ did today was drink that diet coke and fiddle with his Iphone.

lol, golf, eat meat, lift weights, golf, date hot female, golf, protein, weight room.....

Impressive golf today, great course, was pulling for finau......

My name is Bruce-roids and I win US Opens for a living.

Would rather watch those athletes play golf than whiny Yippy Spieth ... Koepka wins another major(s) and he will real soon and then Yippy will be yesterday’s news.

Sorry, buddy, but Jordan Spieth has a lot more greatness in front of him. Of all the guys currently playing he will achieve more than any other going forward.

Are you smoking crack right now?

Lol. He ain’t wrong. Wait and see. Jordan is still the next to chase 10 majors. It ain’t DJ. It isn’t Rory , and Day and Koepka are way to hit and miss to say that about. Jordan’s putting is all mental. He will overcome it. And look out when he does

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

If y’all don’t like poulter now then I don’t know what to tell you...

His comments were spot on regarding the drunkards yelling insults...

He didn’t mean everybody, just the idiots...

Here’s what Ian said if u missed it

-Chris

Hats not Poulter ! There is a spider deep in my soul ? Maybe that’s my issue too ?!

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I said it before and I'll say it again:

Do away with "protect par" because IMO that's what leads to things like what happened Saturday where you couldn't go to the high side of the pin.

Adopt a "testing all facets of the game" mantra. Place pins in ways that guys need to draw, fade, hit it high, run it back. Tee shots that require driver, require a yardage, have tight landing zones. If you set up a course that everything is tested, and scores end up over par, oh well. If it ends up under par, oh well.

What I think is really interesting looking lately is the lower scores are happening at the longer courses where you can just go driver on almost every tee. These guys seem to be struggling on more classic courses where you have to hit spots, with bigger more moving greens.

I talked about this with a co-worker the other day. Build a rota for the US Open:

Oakmont

Pebble Beach

Winged Foot

Olympic

Shinnecock

OPEN

Pinehurst #2

Torrey Pines

In the open rota spot I would like to see Congressional, LACC, Merion, Olympia. I think this is where you throw in things like Chambers Bay, Erin Hills, and other potential one off sites. This way places like that are really spread out and you don't throw in too many hard to adjust too sites. It also alternates between coasts year to year so you don't overload one side of the country without visiting the other. What this also allows you to do is build some familiarity with the courses like we get with the Open Championship, where you and the players know the course, and we start to get some better course setups because USGA leadership will really get to know the course and can be set up better for rules, course setup, and just the event period.

Things I took away from the us open:

1) The greens were worst than most goat tracks. Bumpy and fast doesn’t prove anything.

2) The USGA hasn’t got a clue on what to change when the weather changes.

3) The best golfers wasn’t identified even though Koepka is a great golfer.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

1) The greens were worst than most goat tracks. Bumpy and fast doesn’t prove anything.

i think you're two for three. I will let you figure out which you got wrong...

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

The thing is I don't think the weather changed. The GC crew on Saturday night said they wen back and looked at a bunch of the forecasts for Saturday and it played out as predicted. They had no idea what forecast the USGA looked at when they claimed it blew more than they thought. At this point I'll take the GC crew over anything the USGA says in that regard.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Would rather watch those athletes play golf than whiny Yippy Spieth ... Koepka wins another major(s) and he will real soon and then Yippy will be yesterday's news.

Sorry, buddy, but Jordan Spieth has a lot more greatness in front of him. Of all the guys currently playing he will achieve more than any other going forward.

Lol. He ain't wrong. Wait and see. Jordan is still the next to chase 10 majors. It ain't DJ. It isn't Rory , and Day and Koepka are way to hit and miss to say that about. Jordan's putting is all mental. He will overcome it. And look out when he does

Jordan doesn't have the ball striking ability to win 10. He is a substandard driver of the ball.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Do away with "protect par" because IMO that's what leads to things like what happened Saturday where you couldn't go to the high side of the pin.

Adopt a "testing all facets of the game" mantra. Place pins in ways that guys need to draw, fade, hit it high, run it back. Tee shots that require driver, require a yardage, have tight landing zones. If you set up a course that everything is tested, and scores end up over par, oh well. If it ends up under par, oh well.

What I think is really interesting looking lately is the lower scores are happening at the longer courses where you can just go driver on almost every tee. These guys seem to be struggling on more classic courses where you have to hit spots, with bigger more moving greens.

I talked about this with a co-worker the other day. Build a rota for the US Open:

Oakmont

Pebble Beach

Winged Foot

Olympic

Shinnecock

OPEN

Pinehurst #2

Torrey Pines

In the open rota spot I would like to see Congressional, LACC, Merion, Olympia. I think this is where you throw in things like Chambers Bay, Erin Hills, and other potential one off sites. This way places like that are really spread out and you don't throw in too many hard to adjust too sites. It also alternates between coasts year to year so you don't overload one side of the country without visiting the other. What this also allows you to do is build some familiarity with the courses like we get with the Open Championship, where you and the players know the course, and we start to get some better course setups because USGA leadership will really get to know the course and can be set up better for rules, course setup, and just the event period.

Agree. I have been saying this for years. The rotation idea is a great idea.

Oakmont

Pebble Beach

Winged Foot

Olympic

Shinnecock

OPEN

Pinehurst #2

Torrey Pines

+1....great idea. But, Olympic is already (voluntarily) out of the Rota. Gone with the PGA/Ryder Cup..

Oakmont

Pebble Beach

Winged Foot

Olympic

Shinnecock

OPEN

Pinehurst #2

Torrey Pines

+1....great idea. But, Olympic is already (voluntarily) out of the Rota. Gone with the PGA/Ryder Cup..

Damn I forgot about that. Maybe put LACC in that spot.

If it weren’t so middle of nowhere Brandon Dunes would be an excellent choice.

Would rather watch those athletes play golf than whiny Yippy Spieth ... Koepka wins another major(s) and he will real soon and then Yippy will be yesterday's news.

Lol. He ain't wrong. Wait and see. Jordan is still the next to chase 10 majors. It ain't DJ. It isn't Rory , and Day and Koepka are way to hit and miss to say that about. Jordan's putting is all mental. He will overcome it. And look out when he does

Jordan doesn't have the ball striking ability to win 10. He is a substandard driver of the ball.

True, but he is tops in 2nd shot GIR which makes up for it

Driving Distance 297.9 73rd Driving Accuracy Percentage 62.11% 93rd Greens in Regulation Percentage 71.53%

2nd

Birdie Average 4.29 6th Scoring Average 69.995 17th

These "stats" are good enough for him to win a few more majors. If he gets to 6 in his career, that would be excellent.

Oakmont

Pebble Beach

Winged Foot

Olympic

Shinnecock

OPEN

Pinehurst #2

Torrey Pines

Probably got tired of the USGA ruining their golf course.

Oakmont

Pebble Beach

Winged Foot

Olympic

Shinnecock

OPEN

Pinehurst #2

Torrey Pines

Probably got tired of the USGA ruining their golf course.

It was a long list of reasons, with that close to or at the top. As you'd expect, they act like they own the place for two years.

Oakmont

Pebble Beach

Winged Foot

Olympic

Shinnecock

OPEN

Pinehurst #2

Torrey Pines

Damn I forgot about that. Maybe put LACC in that spot.

If it weren't so middle of nowhere Brandon Dunes would be an excellent choice.

Pros would absolutely destroy Bandon Dunes. Not nearly a challenging enough golf course for a tour event. Let alone a major.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5