2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2018 United States Open

Darth Putter

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are a member of a track worthy of hosting a US Open, do you even want the USGA to put their magic on it?

The vast majority of members would trade the temporary pain to host the event.

Oh that varies greatly depending on the club and whether or not they have seen the aftermath before.

Virtually nobody turns down the US Open. I don’t know of any past host that would decline a future event. Olympic is the only example out there, and the USGA was pushing them to make changes that they didn’t want.

(Obviously, Myopia, et al wouldn’t jump at the Open, but more because their course - in its current format - isn’t ‘worthy’).

I said it before and I'll say it again:

Do away with "protect par" because IMO that's what leads to things like what happened Saturday where you couldn't go to the high side of the pin.

Adopt a "testing all facets of the game" mantra. Place pins in ways that guys need to draw, fade, hit it high, run it back. Tee shots that require driver, require a yardage, have tight landing zones. If you set up a course that everything is tested, and scores end up over par, oh well. If it ends up under par, oh well.

What I think is really interesting looking lately is the lower scores are happening at the longer courses where you can just go driver on almost every tee. These guys seem to be struggling on more classic courses where you have to hit spots, with bigger more moving greens.

I talked about this with a co-worker the other day. Build a rota for the US Open:

Oakmont

Pebble Beach

Winged Foot

Olympic

Shinnecock

OPEN

Pinehurst #2

Torrey Pines

In the open rota spot I would like to see Congressional, LACC, Merion, Olympia. I think this is where you throw in things like Chambers Bay, Erin Hills, and other potential one off sites. This way places like that are really spread out and you don't throw in too many hard to adjust too sites. It also alternates between coasts year to year so you don't overload one side of the country without visiting the other. What this also allows you to do is build some familiarity with the courses like we get with the Open Championship, where you and the players know the course, and we start to get some better course setups because USGA leadership will really get to know the course and can be set up better for rules, course setup, and just the event period.

Agree. I have been saying this for years. The rotation idea is a great idea.

+1....great idea. But, Olympic is already (voluntarily) out of the Rota. Gone with the PGA/Ryder Cup..

Damn I forgot about that. Maybe put LACC in that spot.

If it weren’t so middle of nowhere Brandon Dunes would be an excellent choice.

Bethpage black as well in rota

Great course, but do you really want to go back to New York?

Well I do live here ha (am not a baba buffoon)

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Did DJ just save 2 strokes because he was in the featured group with a bunch of camera's tracking?

Nope. The marshal knew exactly where it went in.

Usually those markers are jumping immediately to the ball with a flag to mark it

not until all players have hit or your in position to be hit &/or distraction to the players.

There supposed to be at least 2-3 marshalls on each side of fairway. There is also 2or3 shotlink spotters on 1 side. On the other is a USGA rules official and a Fox radio announcer and a soundman.

The problem is some tee boxes are obsecured. Often the shot direction/signal isn't accurate.

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

I said it before and I'll say it again:

Do away with "protect par" because IMO that's what leads to things like what happened Saturday where you couldn't go to the high side of the pin.

Adopt a "testing all facets of the game" mantra. Place pins in ways that guys need to draw, fade, hit it high, run it back. Tee shots that require driver, require a yardage, have tight landing zones. If you set up a course that everything is tested, and scores end up over par, oh well. If it ends up under par, oh well.

What I think is really interesting looking lately is the lower scores are happening at the longer courses where you can just go driver on almost every tee. These guys seem to be struggling on more classic courses where you have to hit spots, with bigger more moving greens.

I talked about this with a co-worker the other day. Build a rota for the US Open:

Oakmont

Pebble Beach

Winged Foot

Olympic

Shinnecock

OPEN

Pinehurst #2

Torrey Pines

In the open rota spot I would like to see Congressional, LACC, Merion, Olympia. I think this is where you throw in things like Chambers Bay, Erin Hills, and other potential one off sites. This way places like that are really spread out and you don't throw in too many hard to adjust too sites. It also alternates between coasts year to year so you don't overload one side of the country without visiting the other. What this also allows you to do is build some familiarity with the courses like we get with the Open Championship, where you and the players know the course, and we start to get some better course setups because USGA leadership will really get to know the course and can be set up better for rules, course setup, and just the event period.

Agree. I have been saying this for years. The rotation idea is a great idea.

+1....great idea. But, Olympic is already (voluntarily) out of the Rota. Gone with the PGA/Ryder Cup..

Damn I forgot about that. Maybe put LACC in that spot.

If it weren’t so middle of nowhere Brandon Dunes would be an excellent choice.

Bethpage black as well in rota

Great course, but do you really want to go back to New York?

Bethpage isn't happening anytime this decade. Its got PGA in 2019 and the Ryder Cup in 2026. They're already building up staff and vols now.

If you are a member of a track worthy of hosting a US Open, do you even want the USGA to put their magic on it?

The vast majority of members would trade the temporary pain to host the event.

Oh that varies greatly depending on the club and whether or not they have seen the aftermath before.

Virtually nobody turns down the US Open. I don’t know of any past host that would decline a future event. Olympic is the only example out there, and the USGA was pushing them to make changes that they didn’t want.

(Obviously, Myopia, et al wouldn’t jump at the Open, but more because their course - in its current format - isn’t ‘worthy’).

Many courses have and will continue to turn down an open. Most courses however aren't an option for consideration due to requirements, space, logistics and host of needs for any tournament.

So Beem stepped on DJs ball so he had a free drop... wtf

Rich Beem isn't just a PGA Champion and one third of the best commenting crew in the business, he's also an outside agency.

all outside agencies create a free drop. replace ball in nearest location and lie as possible.

Is it just me who feels like an unfair advantage - especially for an Open tournament?

20 people looking, video replay of the flight, free drop because a third party stepped on it *looking* for it.

Would an amateur qualifier be likely to get a break like that?

I was just talking to my coworker about how nice it would be to have all those eyes spotting exactly where a ball disappeared. Can't count the number of times I think I know where my ball is and then I can't find it, despite it not being in a hazard.

Major, US Open rough is different. Can't say how many times we see a ball land a few away and still not see it unless you were within 8" of it. Many a ball buried under mid-thigh fescue.

There's 0% chance you'ld find it from 250+ away even w/ line of sight or watching it lanf.

Can I put my hot take out there?

Here it is....*inhale* I don't mind Joe Buck, in fact I like him (& the rest of the fox crew), and the Fox coverage is miles ahead of CBS's. *exhale*

that felt good.

anything is better than Miller

What?!?! Joe Buck is better than Johnny?? Thats insane. Johnny might be a jerk at times, but he has great insight. Joe Buck has no idea what hes talking about.

lol Joe Buck is 1 handicap, he hardly "has no idea what hes talking about"

Miller on the other hand loves to hear himself talk. At least Joe knows when to stfu

Thats not the word around town.

Buck got to be person non grata in chicago esp. @cubs. Thats how he became available for Fox and national broadcasts.

In what universe was Tiger's putt 18 feet as Fox listed it?

They usually use on course hole or roving reporters. Otherwise they have a direct link to shotlink feed.

Things I took away from the us open:

1) The greens were worst than most goat tracks. Bumpy and fast doesn’t prove anything.

2) The USGA hasn’t got a clue on what to change when the weather changes.

3) The best golfers wasn’t identified even though Koepka is a great golfer.

i think you're two for three. I will let you figure out which you got wrong...

I was 3 for 3 but I’ll let you figure it out.

Even the golfers would say your 2for3. Greens are *definitely* not bumpy. There are well defined ridges, valleys & plateaus.

What was bad is the lack of grass near some holes and choice of hole locations.

So late to the party. I know Micky did not do this, but it seemed plausible he thought if his ball stopped for a spit moment he could putt it? Keeps it from rolling down the hill?

He said he knew it was moving and that he knew it was a two shot penalty but that doing it saved him more shots from where his ball ended up. There's no speculation on whether he did it or why just whether he should have been dq'd or not.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

So late to the party. I know Micky did not do this, but it seemed plausible he thought if his ball stopped for a spit moment he could putt it? Keeps it from rolling down the hill?

He said he knew it was moving and that he knew it was a two shot penalty but that doing it saved him more shots from where his ball ended up. There's no speculation on whether he did it or why just whether he should have been dq'd or not.

I'm a huge Phil fan and I think what he did was bush league. I also think it was a giant middle finger to the USGA after 25 years of frustration with their course setups.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I'm a huge Phil fan and I think what he did was bush league. I also think it was a giant middle finger to the USGA after 25 years of frustration with their course setups.

I disagree he was giving the USGA the middle finger. Given the fact he could not hit a 4 footer for all 4 days, I think he let the game get the best of him and let his frustration boil over, not caring if he was DQ'd. I do not believe he was thinking of the rules at that very moment it boiled over. He just didn't care and it ended up being a horrible look for Phil, especially after he told the fans to "toughen up".

I think Phil is the one who needs to toughen up in this scenario. He lost control for a brief moment and it happens. I do like phil somewhat, but regardless of what he says, this was not good for his reputation. Since he has been an all time great, the fans will forgive him and all will be forgotten. I think some of us amateurs can relate, so it will probably turn into a joke for most of us at some point

Can I put my hot take out there?

Here it is....*inhale* I don't mind Joe Buck, in fact I like him (& the rest of the fox crew), and the Fox coverage is miles ahead of CBS's. *exhale*

that felt good.

anything is better than Miller

What?!?! Joe Buck is better than Johnny?? Thats insane. Johnny might be a jerk at times, but he has great insight. Joe Buck has no idea what hes talking about.

lol Joe Buck is 1 handicap, he hardly "has no idea what hes talking about"

Miller on the other hand loves to hear himself talk. At least Joe knows when to stfu

Thats not the word around town.

Buck got to be person non grata in chicago esp. @cubs. Thats how he became available for Fox and national broadcasts.

The only announcer that bothers me is Gary McCord. Just talks to talk...and talks....

For those of you who seemed to think the Phil incident would be brushed under the rug or minimized it doesn’t seem to be the case. It’s unfortunate that his actions have taken away from Koepka going back to back as that seems to be an afterthought at this time. As in any major there are many stories but at this time I would rate them in the following manner.

1. Phil’s putt

2. Course setup

3. Koepka 2 peat

4. Fleetwood 63

So those defending Phil say what you will but the proof is in the pudding. His wife made the only sensible statement but that should have come from Phil either on Saturday or at the latest on Sunday. Unfortunate he is the main story.

For those of you who seemed to think the Phil incident would be brushed under the rug or minimized it doesn’t seem to be the case. It’s unfortunate that his actions have taken away from Koepka going back to back as that seems to be an afterthought at this time. As in any major there are many stories but at this time I would rate them in the following manner.

1. Phil’s putt

2. Course setup

3. Koepka 2 peat

4. Fleetwood 63

So those defending Phil say what you will but the proof is in the pudding. His wife made the only sensible statement but that should have come from Phil either on Saturday or at the latest on Sunday. Unfortunate he is the main story.

I never heard, what did Amy say?

1. Phil’s putt

2. Course setup

3. Koepka 2 peat

4. Fleetwood 63

http://www.golf.com/...hinnecock-hills

Mickelson declined to talk to the press Sunday after posting a final-round 69, a 12-stroke improvement from his third-round tally, meaning reporters were left to guess whether he was feeling any regret or remorse after his rules flap. On Saturday, he made no apologies after his round — "toughen up," he said to anyone who was offended by his creative application of the rules — but later in the evening he did admit, via a text to a handful of media members, that it was "not my finest moment."

On Sunday, Amy went a step further.

"He’s a good man who had a bad moment," she said as she watched her husband sign autographs after his round. "He's not perfect — I'm not, you're not. … You might have a bad day at work or do something or say something that you regret. When [players] do it, it’s on a very large stage and there’s so much immediate reaction on Twitter and social media, it can overwhelm."

1. Phil’s putt

2. Course setup

3. Koepka 2 peat

4. Fleetwood 63

http://www.golf.com/...hinnecock-hills

Mickelson declined to talk to the press Sunday after posting a final-round 69, a 12-stroke improvement from his third-round tally, meaning reporters were left to guess whether he was feeling any regret or remorse after his rules flap. On Saturday, he made no apologies after his round — "toughen up," he said to anyone who was offended by his creative application of the rules — but later in the evening he did admit, via a text to a handful of media members, that it was "not my finest moment."

On Sunday, Amy went a step further.

"He’s a good man who had a bad moment," she said as she watched her husband sign autographs after his round. "He's not perfect — I'm not, you're not. … You might have a bad day at work or do something or say something that you regret. When [players] do it, it’s on a very large stage and there’s so much immediate reaction on Twitter and social media, it can overwhelm."

Thanks.

Things I took away from the us open:

1) The greens were worst than most goat tracks. Bumpy and fast doesn’t prove anything.

2) The USGA hasn’t got a clue on what to change when the weather changes.

3) The best golfers wasn’t identified even though Koepka is a great golfer.

i think you're two for three. I will let you figure out which you got wrong...

I was 3 for 3 but I’ll let you figure it out.

Even the golfers would say your 2for3. Greens are *definitely* not bumpy. There are well defined ridges, valleys & plateaus.

What was bad is the lack of grass near some holes and choice of hole locations.

https://www.golfchannel.com/video/bumpy-greens-exhaust-players-tough-shinnecock-hills/

Explain this then.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

For those of you who seemed to think the Phil incident would be brushed under the rug or minimized it doesn't seem to be the case. It's unfortunate that his actions have taken away from Koepka going back to back as that seems to be an afterthought at this time. As in any major there are many stories but at this time I would rate them in the following manner.

1. Phil's putt

2. Course setup

3. Koepka 2 peat

4. Fleetwood 63

Well as long as "Course setup" is ahead of anything to do with the actual winner and runner-up, at least that part of Mike Davis' plan worked correctly. The US Open is always about the course and the setup first, the players second.

The more I think about it, the more I really like watching Tommy Fleetwood. Seems like a great guy with such an free wheeling swing. Hope he gets into the mix against the Open.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

The more I think about it, the more I really like watching Tommy Fleetwood. Seems like a great guy with such an free wheeling swing. Hope he gets into the mix against the Open.

I'm thinking he will be a contender @ The Open

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

BK is the US Open slayer, why doesn't he win more regular tour events? Is he the best major champion without 10 tour wins? lol

Both courses he won on have no trees and are wide open so they fit his eye. he doesnt win more because hes not good enough week to week to win more. It happens.ill wait and see how his next 3-5 years go but i wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt add much in the W column

He’s like Payne Stewart. Or Furyk. They shoot 68 no matter the conditions. 68 won’t get him much at the John Deere. His bell curve of scores is very tight.

BK is the US Open slayer, why doesn't he win more regular tour events? Is he the best major champion without 10 tour wins? lol

Both courses he won on have no trees and are wide open so they fit his eye. he doesnt win more because hes not good enough week to week to win more. It happens.ill wait and see how his next 3-5 years go but i wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt add much in the W column

He's like Payne Stewart. Or Furyk. They shoot 68 no matter the conditions. 68 won't get him much at the John Deere. His bell curve of scores is very tight.

Maybe just my opinion, but do you agree with him at #4 in the OWGR? I know it is a calculation, but as soon as his 2017 US Open win falls off, is he going to fall down like Rahm did with his lack of wins? I take nothing away from him, just wish he would show up more week to week. But to give benefit of the doubt, he has been out the last 4 months so we could have seen his name more but was out. We'll see what happens in the coming months/years.

US Open is becoming my least liked major. The USGA is a bunch of amateur hacks trying to run a Professional tournament. They have no idea how to set up a course. The other thing that bothers me is they make National Championship about the USGA and the course. Most people don't care about either, yet somehow they manage some type of controversy. No one is talking about Brooks Koepka winning the US Open this week because everyone is talking about the bumbling idiots at the USGA.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

He's like Payne Stewart. Or Furyk. They shoot 68 no matter the conditions. 68 won't get him much at the John Deere. His bell curve of scores is very tight.

Maybe just my opinion, but do you agree with him at #4 in the OWGR? I know it is a calculation, but as soon as his 2017 US Open win falls off, is he going to fall down like Rahm did with his lack of wins? I take nothing away from him, just wish he would show up more week to week. But to give benefit of the doubt, he has been out the last 4 months so we could have seen his name more but was out. We'll see what happens in the coming months/years.

Over the course of his last 4 seasons on tour he has finished in the top 25 in more than half of the events he has played in. He's won 3 of those events (2 being majors) and has been in the top 10 in 1/3 of the events he entered.

4th in the world rankings seems about right. He's got a lot of game and seems to be one of the best players on tour week in and week out. Outside of the US Open wins, his success has been quiet. But he's one of the best players in the world right now and has been for the last few years.

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

He’s 4th because of 2 majors. It’s lrobably high