have driving irons become new status quo?

orangeology

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure they're status quo in the same way hybrids have become, or high lofted wedges before that.

But I've seen how for the right player, in the right conditions they can be a weapon. If someone can hit one well, then it's a matter of figuring out if that club will be used enough in a round to warrant putting it in the bag, and taking something else out?

Growing up on the East Coast of Scotland I've long been a fan of the "Driving Iron" and have normally had at least a 2 iron in the bag, if not the 1 iron as well. In fact I've often though about dropping the 3 wood and going Driver -> 1 iron.

Must admit I'm not a huge fan of dedicated DIs though, find them too difficult to pick up cleanly off the deck, so get more use out of a proper long iron. Wouldn't be without it though.

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I picked up a DI, 3 iron/hybrid replacement, about a year ago and couldn't be happier. My irons are probably the best club group I have in my bag. It's easy for me to struggle with my driver and my 3W off the tee, so the DI has allowed my to confidently get off the tee and get iron in my hands. My DI gets used on several short or tight par 4's and 5's.

T-MB 3i.

I picked up a DI, 3 iron/hybrid replacement, about a year ago and couldn't be happier. My irons are probably the best club group I have in my bag. It's easy for me to struggle with my driver and my 3W off the tee, so the DI has allowed my to confidently get off the tee and get iron in my hands. My DI gets used on several short or tight par 4's and 5's.

T-MB 3i.

I'm with you. If there is a hint of trouble and I know I can hit my DI and 9 iron or less into the green I go that route.

People boo-hoo'ed for years about hooking hybrids, and then pick up graphite shafted driving irons with upright lies and offset, getting charged almost the same amount of money for a new hybrid.

"Oh, I don't hook these..." :russian_roulette:

What are you talking about? You're just flat out wrong. P790 UDI 2 iron has less offset than the 5 iron of the regular 790 set. The lie on the 2 iron is 1/2* flatter than the 3 iron.

So they're less offset and flatter. Maybe that explains why good players aren't hooking them.

I suppose you would have to ask a good player for that answer. I haven't hit it, so I couldn't tell you.

(You probably won't understand what I did there... :derisive: )

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

I put a srixon u65 2 iron in my bag a few weeks ago and love it. I am a high speed player, but my dad swings around 100 and he enjoyed hitting it.

It is now my go to club off the tee on most par 4s under 400, and is just super adaptable. I am able to hit stingers into the wind, or lift it up off the turf on an approach.

I had been using a hybrid in that spot in my bag, and had a 3 wood cranked down to 13* as my secondary club off the tee. Now the srixon has taken both of those roles, and I havent experienced a shot yet that I would be able to hit with the hybrid that I cant hit with the iron.

I have reaf the whole thread and i want to share my side of the story.

I was playing 12 clubs in the bag. I had some tight holes at my home course where i didnt feel confident with rhe hybrid. It has been my favorite club in the last 4 years, but this summer, something wasnt working.

So i bought the u45 20. Must be honest, i am not the longest hitter. The 20* off the tee carry 200 for me. But i never use it into the green. I just dont elevate it enough.

What i did is that i put a 4 wood at 16.5, a 7 wood at 21* for high shot, and the driving iron at 20*.

Yes the driving iron is one dimension for me, but i had the spot and didnt see any advantage of playing a 50/54/58 versus a 52/58.

Maybe next year i will try a 50/54/60 but that is an other story....

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Just got this in, should be a heck of a tee club

2e51a2x.jpg

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Driving iron is really useful as a punch out type club for me. Easy to hit a low stinger and shape it either way to get around tree trouble and have some chance of getting up to the green.

I also find it very useful as a safe layup club on days when my swing is off and I'm fighting shanks, massive pulls, or other types of disaster shots that can really ruin a round. I can make a 9 to 3 type swing and get up to like 180 out of it if i'm just trying to move it up the fairway a bit.

I guess I'm personally more into the utility aspect of it rather than the driving aspect of it.

Hybrid has its place too, really good to hit it long and high but its harder to control and its not a very versatile club.

I'd be curious to hear how many guys believe they hit their driving irons longer than their corresponding iron.

I own a 210 Fli Hi and wouldn't be surprised to find that I hit it slightly higher and maybe a little further than my 210 MB, but I'm not sure it's worth having a mismatched club for just a few extra yards so long as I'm hitting both pretty solid.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I'd be curious to hear how many guys believe they hit their driving irons longer than their corresponding iron.

I own a 210 Fli Hi and wouldn't be surprised to find that I hit it slightly higher and maybe a little further than my 210 MB, but I'm not sure it's worth having a mismatched club for just a few extra yards so long as I'm hitting both pretty solid.

There are some reasons for 'mismatched club'.

1. As you mentioned, it is easier to hit and long. It is not a big factor for some with higher skill set, but most of golfers will be benefited.

2. Nowadays, they sell iron sets starting with 4 or even 5,6. So, if you should pay more for longer iron, why wouldn't you use DI.

And, for 2 irons, you normally cannot get it from your matching iron set.

3. For some it is better with heavier still shaft from their iron set of long irons, but for many average golfers need lighter shafts(including graphite) for better launch.

4. It looks just cool. (Somehow this factor is hard to ignore. When I hit my 2 UDI longer than the others driver, feels amazing)

My main reason would be # 4 admittedly.

Ping                       G430 10k Driver w/GD Tour AD VF 5S
Ping                       G430 3 Wood w/GD Tour AD UB 6S

Titleist                   Titleist u505 2 iron w/GD Tour AD IZ 95S

Titleist                   T200 4/T150 5-P Irons w/Axiom 105S

Titleist                   48F w/Axiom 105S 54S/60K Wedges w/Fujikura MCI 105 MILD

LAB                   Mezz 1 Max Broomstick w/Accra

2. Nowadays, they sell iron sets starting with 4 or even 5,6. So, if you should pay more for longer iron, why wouldn't you use DI.

And, for 2 irons, you normally cannot get it from your matching iron set.

Well, lofts have mostly stayed the same. So that's not really applicable. If someone's carrying a 220 4-iron then adding a 210 driving iron labeled "3-iron" isn't adding anything.

4. It looks just cool. (Somehow this factor is hard to ignore. When I hit my 2 UDI longer than the others driver, feels amazing)

My main reason would be # 4 admittedly.

Yeah, I get that 100%. I was murdering my 3-iron off the tee this weekend. It's a good feeling.

But like I said, I don't really notice a difference if we're talking pure results. You're either flushing that 3-iron and getting good distance or you're not. There's not much "forgiveness" in a driving iron. Will it increase the launch angle of a 2-iron? Yeah, maybe a little bit and that might add a few yards of carry. Will the thinner face do the same? Yes, maybe.

But assuming you're removing a club that matches your existing set, is it worth switching to a totally different club in order to gain just a few yards? That's the question.

For s&g's I took my 180 Fli Hi to the range this weekend given that I had been striping my long irons. I thought, 'if ever there's a time to make a fair comparison, it's now while I'm swinging well.'

What I found was that when I struck my 210 and 240 MBs pure they went virtually dead straight. In general, it didn't really matter what MB I pulled, I knew how it was going to launch and I could swing more or less exactly the same way with each one. When I hit the 180 Fli Hi (with a slightly lighter steel shaft), it flew more offline because it didn't match the rest of my set. My swing and release were "tuned" to my MBs. Naturally, I was slightly off with the Fli Hi.

That's totally my own fault, but the point is, there is value in having a simpler set in which everything matches (at least for the amateur). It makes things far simpler and that's usually better for amateur players. After all, the primary reason most amateur like the driving irons is the fact they don't have to have a different swing for that club. They don't have to worry about it being a fairway metal or a hybrid. The game becomes simpler.

Fewer kinds of swings = more predictable results.

My prediction is that all these guys who rave about their driving irons are going to be falling in love with their sets' 2- and 3-irons again in a few short years. My guess is that they'll "rediscover" those clubs and report how happy they are to realize they're actually good enough to hit "real" long irons. That's what happened to me. I started off with a driving iron and ultimately went back after finding that distance is more or less the same and it's actually advantageous to have all your clubs match.

Just my theory.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

saw some usage of it while I was playing in ohio last week. If you got fairways running down you can get 20-30 yards more. Played at canterbury on friday and hole 15 I used a 5w. The gent I was playing with used a driving iron. It rolled legit 20 yards longer and gave him a PW and I had an 8i.

I can see where it fits in the grand scheme of things. You can have room for both a hybrid/fairway and a driving iron.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

I have done several of the side by side comparison and a "3-DI" type club goes about 8-10 yards farther carry them my same 3 iron. But the 3 iron is a more traditional size and steel (for my experiment). They both are fine but serve slightly different purposes.

I ended up getting a 2-DI club and kept the traditional 3, but my 2-DI club also replace my 5 wood, so it worked well.

I've had a 712u in the bag since last season. For me, I feel like I have far better dispersion than with a similarly lofted hybrid. It has become my go-to club for the 2nd shot on par 5s. With that said, the ball flight has always been lower than I like and I feel like I am fighting the steel shaft to get the ball elevated. So what to do? Picked up a P790 UDI with a Hzrdus. Hoping it fixes that little concern when it arrives.

TM Sim2 Max 10.5º | AD-DI 6x

TM M5 3w | AD-DI 7x

TM Sim2 19º Hybrid | AD-DI 8s

Callaway X Forged CB | KBS C-Taper Lite S

Vokey Raw SM8 50.12 F-Grind

Vokey Raw SM8 54.10 S-Grind

Vokey Raw SM8 58.14 K-Grind

Byron Morgan Carbon DH89 350g | Scotty Mil-Spec 33”/350g

I have done several of the side by side comparison and a "3-DI" type club goes about 8-10 yards farther carry them my same 3 iron. But the 3 iron is a more traditional size and steel (for my experiment). They both are fine but serve slightly different purposes.

I ended up getting a 2-DI club and kept the traditional 3, but my 2-DI club also replace my 5 wood, so it worked well.

I've got an X Forged UT 18 degree and an X Forged 3 iron in my bag. With a stock swing the gap is probably 12 yards but the difference is I can go after the 18 degree and if I turn it over and get it to run out it goes a mile.

My 3 iron carries about 230. I hit my 18 this morning into a par 5 from 245 and it was comfortable and then a fee holes later I hit it about 275 off of a tight par 4 tee.

I would guess that if I had both of those clubs in 21 degrees I would hit the UT a couple yards further.

I've been hitting my 17° controller driving iron for 18 years. Still with no name stock steel shaft.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

When companies are charging $250 for a single iron...I start to call BS. That's a fad they're making money on.

Just how much performance difference are people observing between their driving iron and their standard forged CB 3-iron? I know how much difference I noticed--not that much. But it gives people something to spend they're money on.

Personally, I'm kind of over them. For as little as I hit my longest irons I'd rather keep them matching the rest of my set.

And yeah, you'd better build some forgiveness into that club-head if you're switching up shaft weight, shaft flex, swing weight, and other critical variables.

They don’t make a 3 Iron in the clubs I have!

Anyway I prefer a hybrid off the tee as it’s more forgiving on off-centre hits.

This thread and the Open hype has me considering putting my TMB 3i back in the bag. I just love my fairway woods too much to kick them out. I'm thinking I could take out my 4i and crank down the 5 wood so I'd have the following lofts. Would just get tricky if I had to play a long par 3, which I don't play too many of.

17.5 (5w)

21 (3i)

25 (5i)

Titleist TSR3 10* Tensei 1k Black 7x 44.5"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* Tensei 1k Black 7x 42.5"

Cobra F6 Baffler 19.5* Diamana Blueboard 8x 41.25"

Titleist U505 4i Tensei 1k Black 8x

Titleist T100 5i-9i Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 46F/50F/54F/60M Project x 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

There will be a flood of driving irons for sale soon when people realize that their hybrids are easier to hit and are more forgiving. I can't wait.

... While this may be true for the majority of the people that play golf, many of todays DI's are equally as forgiving when it comes to slight mishits. Yes, you need the technique and club head speed to make a DI work for you, but a lot of better players are more accurate with a DI vs a wood like hybrid and most importantly have more confidence in an iron. Years ago you had no choice as low lofted irons were thin, narrow soled and very unforgiving or wide soled high launching SGI's that were equally ill fit for the better player. But graphite shafts, hollow/foam filled heads in lower lofts have created a new iron the many better players are using very effectively. But I get your point and of course there will be those that should not be using a DI and classified sales will be aplenty.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

There will be a flood of driving irons for sale soon when people realize that their hybrids are easier to hit and are more forgiving. I can't wait.

... While this may be true for the majority of the people that play golf, many of todays DI's are equally as forgiving when it comes to slight mishits. Yes, you need the technique and club head speed to make a DI work for you, but a lot of better players are more accurate with a DI vs a wood like hybrid and most importantly have more confidence in an iron. Years ago you had no choice as low lofted irons were thin, narrow soled and very unforgiving or wide soled high launching SGI's that were equally ill fit for the better player. But graphite shafts, hollow/foam filled heads in lower lofts have created a new iron the many better players are using very effectively. But I get your point and of course there will be those that should not be using a DI and classified sales will be aplenty.

That’s the thing, you need the clubhead speed to make it work, and looking at most people playing at my course, that’s a small percentage of players.

Hit plenty of hybrids, much easier for me to hit... off the course to the left lol.

Honestly, my U45 is just as easy to elevate as my 6 iron and flies about at the same window off the tee with a normal swing (just 40-50 yards further). The whole narrative that these are hard clubs to hit is false.

Hit plenty of hybrids, much easier for me to hit... off the course to the left lol.

Honestly, my U45 is just as easy to elevate as my 6 iron and flies about at the same window off the tee with a normal swing (just 40-50 yards further). The whole narrative that these are hard clubs to hit is false.

I’d suggest you need to have a repeatable swing and you need to be able to actually do that too, so if you only play once every couple of weeks off an 18+ handicap then it’s going to cost you.