2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Pine Needles/Mid Pines NC

I'm considering going to either Pine Needles Lodge or Mid Pines Inn this September. How are their facilities and golf courses. I understand they are sister resorts so can you get to play all their courses? Been to Pinehurst before so looking for something different this visit. Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stayed at Mid Pines for a night this past June and played 18 the next morning. I played Pine Needles last October (but did not stay there).

As far as courses, I enjoyed playing both courses, but preference to Mid Pines. Thought Pine Needles was in better condition when I played there, but found Mid Pines to be a more interesting course (plus tough to compare course conditions in June vs. October.) I have played PH 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7 (for some reason never managed 8 or 9) and would would probably play both of those courses over any of the PH courses, other than #2. I am sure the redone #4 will jump above those two as well once I get to play that

From a lodging perspective, Mid Pines Inn is old / dated, but clean. Could use a major refresh, IMHO, BUT was fine. It felt a bit empty. Also, you don't need to stay there, fairly easy to get a tee time at both places if you stay at PH or elsewhere. I've also stayed at both the Carolina and the Holly Inn at PH. Of those three options, I would pick Holly Inn. Just had the better combination of vibe, nice room, cost for me. Definitely more expensive than Mid Pines, but I've gotten spoiled in my old age

I'll agree with the assessment of the two courses, Pine Needles is a good demanding course, but I still prefer Mid Pines. A really nice thing, both courses will allow you to walk, and can provide trolleys for you to use if you prefer not to carry your bag. I've never stayed at either one, so i can't address the lodgings. MidPines does have an amazing Sunday brunch, for a pretty reasonable price.

I own a condo at Talamore, just a mile or so away. These 1 to 3 bedroom units are pretty nice, and are maintained pretty well. I think the lodging price compares reasonably well to most other choices, and if you book through Talamore, they can get you on both Pine Needles and Mid Pines. They don't have the history and ambiance of either PN or MP, but its another option for you to consider.

You can play both and not stay there. I cant speak to the facilities as I have never stayed at either but I have played both. To me, hands down Mid Pines is the winner and would be my choice if I could only play 1. Mid Pines was actually one of the better layouts in the Pinehurst area in my opinion and I have played most of the top courses in the area.

Thanks for all the comments. Every time I went to Pinehurst I stayed in the condos along course 4,5. Eaten at Carolina and Holly. Both are amazing - Carolina for breakfast and Holly for dinner. Pinehurst always is 4 star service for everything (4 star price too). Good to know the options are quality also.

You can't go wrong at either place. In terms of lodging, both have an old school feel that kind of takes you back in time and it's great to just walk out if your room and go hit some putts if you want. It's especially fun to watch the groups play up the 18th at Mid Pines from the putting green.

Both golf courses are also very good. Like some others who have posted in this thread, I'm partial to Mid Pines. It just has awesome shot values. Pine Needles, however, is excellent as well, and probably the tougher test, especially from the tips.

In terms of food, Mid Pines has a great breakfast but the Lounge at Pine Needles is awesome. Best Mac and Cheese ever.

It's especially fun to watch the groups play up the 18th at Mid Pines from the putting green.

Based only on the places I've played, Mid Pines bar has the best views of the finishing hole in the area, with the possible exception of the Members bar at Mid South (but you can't go there unless you're with a member). In addition, the 18th green at MidPines is tough enough that it makes for excellent wagering opportunities.

It's especially fun to watch the groups play up the 18th at Mid Pines from the putting green.

Based only on the places I've played, Mid Pines bar has the best views of the finishing hole in the area, with the possible exception of the Members bar at Mid South (but you can't go there unless you're with a member). In addition, the 18th green at MidPines is tough enough that it makes for excellent wagering opportunities.

Since they made the switch to Bermuda and can keep the greens fast through the summer, the 18th green is quite the challenge, as are some others. No. 5 is another tough green when it's fast, and if you get above the hole on No. 7 when they're fast it's over. And No. 15 is another that's really demanding if you miss in the wrong spot.

But you're right, it's a great scene hitting some putts on the practice green at Mid Pines or having a beverage on the patio and just watching the action on No. 18.

Pine Needles was in rough shape back in mid July. Still playable, but the tee boxes and greens were not good. Fairways had a lot of bad patches. Greens were slow and sandy. I didn't play Mid Pines but people were saying in other threads that it was way worse over there. I still love it down there so hopefully the conditions improve.

I played Mid Pines, Pine Needles, Dormie, and Tobacco Rd this last May. I have played TR before and love that unique course. I would say MP was my favorite layout. Dormie was awesome and had such a massive size and feel to it. PN was fun as well.

You cant go wrong with any of these but if you could only play one round I would say coin flip between Mid and Tobacco

[b]WITB:[/b][list]
[*][b]Callaway Rogue Sub Zero - [/b]HZRDUS Smoke Black
[*][b]Nike Vapor Fly 5w - [/b]Diamana S+ 70 Blueboard X
[*][b]Nike Vapor Fly Pro 2I - [/b]Matrix 105h3 Black Tie X
[*][b]Titleist 714 MB/CB 4-PW - [/b]DG AMTX100
[*][b]Nike Engage 50, 54, 58 - [/b]DGS400
[*][b]Lajosi DD201[/b]
[/list]

Dormie, could be private soon. MP is in rough shape from what I've heard, may get better by then but you will always be able to play it. Tobacco road is awesome as well, but completely different. Three different experiences but I loved Dormie and I'd recommend it just in case it ever does go private and you can't get back on it.

Was in the Pinehurst area August 5th-11th and played Pinehurst #9, Dormie, Tobacco Road, Pine Needles, and The Cradle (Pinehurst's new 9 hole short course). Here's my thoughts:

Pinehurst #9: Great shape and fun Jack Nicklaus signature course. Played it twice as I got on for only the cart fee.

Tobacco Road: Best shape of all of the courses (#9 was a close 2nd). You have to play it, as you'll never play another course like it. 30ish min. drive from Pinehurst/Southern Pines.

Pine Needles: Had played Mid Pines on my previous trip and loved it, Pine Needles was not worth the price and the conditioning was bad. A lot of forgettable holes and green complexes were in bad shape.

Dormie Club: Worst shape of the whole trip. Hole no. 1 was perfect and I was really excited, but the rest went downhill quickly. Emailed the manager after the round and he's welcoming me back in late September/early October at a discounted rate, but they also just punched their greens so he said it wouldn't be in good condition until at least mid-September.

The Cradle: If you and your buddies have an afternoon/evening to kill, pay the $50 ($35 with PH member) and play The Cradle 2-3 times (free same-day replays). Only need a putter and a couple wedges, they give you canvas golf bags to use, and there's music playing and a bar on the course. Play it in flip flops or bare feet, and grab a bite at The Deuce in the Clubhouse after. May be a short course, but the greens are no joke!

Also, heard that Mid Pines had a rough winter, so it may be best to stay away from both MP and Pine Needles on this trip.

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

Between

mid pines or tobacoo road or dormie? ... be there sunday night and monday night of tgiving week and looking for a place to play sunday ...

To me it is between Tobacco Road or Mid Pines. I liked Dormie but thought Mid was the better course and Tobacco is so fun and unique. I might go Tobacco for the fun and unique factor.

I’ve stayed and played at both MP and PN this year. I’ve added my thoughts on other numerous threads of the same topic. If you have not done so already, check through the search and you will find countless previous threads on the and topic. My quick take:

MP - stayed in June. Old and tired, but clean. Very laid back and no one was really jumping out of their shoes to offer a great CS experience, but that was OK for us. It was a boys golf trip, so the price was right and we got what we paid for- a clean bed to sleep in at the course we played.

PN- stayed at beginning of August. Room was a bit dated but perfectly comfortable and clean. I actually love this place- it wasn’t over the top but clean and comfortable and oozing a bygone era.

You can’t really compare these two to PH resort, they are not at that level and frankly, I don’t think they want to be. Also note that they are happy to shuttle you between the MP and PN any time you want.

Golf- played both on same trip in June. Personally liked PN more. For a mid handicap like me it was more generous off the tee and just had a “bigger” feel. Played poorly at MP that trip so I am sure my opinion was skewed a bit. Would play both again without hesitation. MP infrastructure needs work. Old busted up cart paths in places should just be torn out and replaces with old fashioned sand paths like the rest of the course. Also a few tee box competes were washed out on the edges, maybe need a retaining wall or something. Again, playability not effected but maybe a mark against the visual experience. Several tee boxes were in bad shape , but really didn’t efffecg playability. But for the price point you kind of expect more. My son played a 3 day Tmnt in August at MP , so I didn’t play but conditions were good. Why I like about both is the walkabolity, easy to walk and they encourage it.

Just returned from three days at Pine Needles and Mid Pines earlier this week. Played two rounds at each. I'd heard that they were in rough shape so was nervous before I arrived. Stayed at MP for the first time as I've always stayed at PN on previous trips (4-5 times). Agree with all above regarding the accommodations at each. Both are good and clean, but certainly not a Ritz Carlton; MP is certainly more dated than PN but no complaints from me.

The greens at both were great. They were firm, smooth, and fast. PN was especially firm and fast. Overall, the fairways were in good condition, but you could see lots of patches where they'd evidently lost the grass and they've since put down new sod. MP was actually closed for the afternoon one day and when we went back out the next morning it looked like they'd gone around putting more sand down on the new sod. A few of the tee boxes at MP looked like they'd received all new sod.

So if you already plan to play MP and/or PN, I wouldn't stay away. Greens are great and the rest of the course seems to have recovered pretty well from its rough condition earlier in the summer.

I stayed there, and played both courses a few years ago.

For accommodations, we actually stayed in one of the "lodges" at Pine Needles. It was a 4-room house, right on the 18th fairway, aptly named "The Fairway Lodge." They've got a couple lodges right over by the main clubhouse area, and at least one more near the 18th green. For a group of 8 guys, it was fantastic. Rather than being spread around hotel rooms, we had a more centralized feeling. The back patio was massive, and we spent quite a number of hours out there each evening. I would absolutely stay there again.

Both courses were in primo shape when we played them. Pine Needles had just reopened from having the greens converted to Bermuda when we played. They were a little slower and firmer than Mid Pines because of that, but were still very playable. The courses are similar, but different. Mid Pines has a more happening feel, to me. It's a smaller property, so there is almost always at least one adjacent hole you can see. You just see more golf happening. Pine Needles is much more expansive. Save for a couple spots, each hole almost feels like it's completely isolated from the others. I enjoyed both courses immensely, but would probably give the nod to Pine Needles based on only a single play of each.

I very much look forward to refining those opinions with additional trips in the future :)

i think the 'shape' factor will have resolved itself by september's end ... guess the heat was more than they had prepared for ...

Agreed. End of September is basically peak for them. Things should be great by then.

We had weird weather in NC caused a lot of courses to have various issues. Most courses around me are getting back to being in great shape now though I’m playing both end of September will update if they aren’t in good shape. But expect they will be.

Played there last October and both courses were in prime shape. I truly loved both, but Mid Pines back 9 might've been the coolest experience I've ever had on a course. As far as the facilities go, we did an airbnb, so I'm not sure what the rooms were like, but the clubhouses seemed...dated. The ranges were both pretty lackluster, as well. But it's all well and good as the courses more than made up for it!

I have stayed at Mid Pines probably 10 times and Pine Needles 1. I love the old charm of the Mid Pines Inn and that I can just go down stairs to the bar for a snack and a pint any time. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. My one time at PN it was cottage like and I had a enclosed balcony looking over the range.

I score better at PN, but prefer Mid Pines and even more since it the home of my only HIO.

Can't go wrong at this property.

Played MP yesterday and the course is in great shape. Was considering cancelling due to the dire warnings. Literally one tee box was a bit thin, and I saw one small fairway area that was less than prime. Greens were perfect. I did chat with personnel from the course and they said earlier this year they had a problem with the overseed dying before the Bermuda came up. Long story short, it's in great plaulyable shape right now.