The 2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National (MERGED)

fillwelix

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Europe played better no doubt. Like its been said multiple times already probably stop picking old guys like Phil especially if they aren't playing well. I think Rickie Fowler was still hurt. He had no swing those last few wholes against Sergio. I think Tiger deserved to be a pick but I have to assume he was probably a little burnt out of the the Fedex Cup. The USA always seems to have something to complain about after like the pairings or the way the Captain did things. When the Euros lose they lose my gracious.

Something mildly interesting (I thought): Bjorn didn't partner up any fellow countrymen, with the exception of some of the English players (unavoidable really, as there were 5 of them). Rahm and Garcia didn't team up, nor did Noren and Stenson. Nor was Thorbjorn teamed up with either Noren or Stenson to make a "Scandinavian pair". It's been common to pair up fellow countrymen in the past, especially if one's a rookie (like Olazabal with Seve in 1987, and Parnevik with Per Ulrik Johannson in (*Googles*) 1997, and more recently McIlroy and McDowell in 2010.

Obviously, this isn't a hard-and-fast rule, but it was almost like he deliberately avoided it. Garcia and Noren were paired up twice, and Rahm got a mix of partners.

Not a criticism, just an observation.

Europe played better no doubt. Like its been said multiple times already probably stop picking old guys like Phil especially if they aren't playing well. I think Rickie Fowler was still hurt. He had no swing those last few wholes against Sergio. I think Tiger deserved to be a pick but I have to assume he was probably a little burnt out of the the Fedex Cup. The USA always seems to have something to complain about after like the pairings or the way the Captain did things. When the Euros lose they lose my gracious.

Tiger may have been burnt out, but can you imagine the noise on this site after he won the Tour Championship if he hadn't been picked?? :swoon:

American players who may have been better suited to the course:

- Zach Johnson

- Brandt Snedeker

- Matt Kuchar

- Kevin Kisner

same result with any of these mentioned

Its always easier in hindsight, there would have been absolute meltdown on here if Furyk picked them instead of the guys he did

Not with me. I said back when Jim made his picks that either Tiger or Phil, but not both. I thought that Xander or Kisner should have played.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I just want to shed some light on some serious BS I have heard following the European victory.

“The Euros just care for the RC more that we do” followed by some it’s not our most prized event.

That is such bull honkey. The last two years the talk has always been around the RC and who should be picked. Who is gonna be paired. How the USA team is stacked and gonna crush Europe.

But now that they lost, its because the USA doesn’t care about the RC...

What a lame excuse.

Something mildly interesting (I thought): Bjorn didn't partner up any fellow countrymen, with the exception of some of the English players (unavoidable really, as there were 5 of them). Rahm and Garcia didn't team up, nor did Noren and Stenson. Nor was Thorbjorn teamed up with either Noren or Stenson to make a "Scandinavian pair". It's been common to pair up fellow countrymen in the past, especially if one's a rookie (like Olazabal with Seve in 1987, and Parnevik with Per Ulrik Johannson in (*Googles*) 1997, and more recently McIlroy and McDowell in 2010.

Obviously, this isn't a hard-and-fast rule, but it was almost like he deliberately avoided it. Garcia and Noren were paired up twice, and Rahm got a mix of partners.

He did it, because he chose his pairings based on two criteria: statistical data on how well two players' games would match up and personal friendship between the players. Robert Karlsson was responsible for the number crunching. Molinari and Fleetwood came to Bjorn and told him they wanted to play together. He said that he'd look into it and then looked at the result of the data analysis. In an interview he said that "nothing in the data spoke against pairing them", so he let them have their wish. Bjorn and his vice captains obviously used some sort of "Moneyball" system for their pairings. I have heard rumours that it was invented during McGinley's captaincy and that he used it, but Darren Clarke did not, because he relied on "guts".

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Apart from the Mcilroy/Olesen team im not sure he would have got the pairings more right, which i actually blame mcilroy for it going wrong (he was awful)

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

Did fatigue play a part? It really was a grinding end of season and then Ryder Cup the week after?

Well Rose, Mcilroy, Rahm, Casey, Molinari, Fleetwood all played the final tournament, they all seemed to do alright.

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Bettinardi BB39

Did fatigue play a part? It really was a grinding end of season and then Ryder Cup the week after?

It didn’t help. Only Spieth wasn’t at East Lake on the American side. Was only half the European team there?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

It didn't help. Only Spieth wasn't at East Lake on the American side. Was only half the European team there?

JT was there, he didn't seem too jaded to me, the Americans could definitely use it as an excuse though

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Bettinardi BB39

Oh, and we won this thing two years ago and everyone associated with it (except Clarke, who was even criticized for having Bjorn has a vice captain, for heaven't sake) thought we were geniuses!

Sky hasn't fallen.

Oh, and we won this thing two years ago.

It's a razor's edge out there, these amateur psychology post mortems mean zip!

And one guy whines a little and everything thing he says is true and folks on here are claiming our whole team "room" was fractured? LOL, nonsense.

Again, you think any of the other guys gave a crap even if Reed was demonstrating some unhappiness - which of his friends would he have been whining to? Name one or two or three. Nothing to it other than he had a rough go, in bad form, and now he's a little frustrated. They will all move on.

All overblown because it gets boring to keep reporting that the Euros won.

Oh, and we won this thing two years ago and everyone associated with it (except Clarke, who was even criticized for having Bjorn has a vice captain, for heaven't sake) thought we were geniuses!

Sky hasn't fallen.

Oh, and we won this thing two years ago.

It's a razor's edge out there, these amateur psychology post mortems mean zip!

The Ryder Cup was boring, for the most part, because of the lopsidesness of it. It was a failure for the US team and their fans. Don't sugar coat the US loss.

That's why we keep posting it!

Dave had it up earlier this morning.

Let's keep quoting it, nothing like a little hair of the dog on a Monday!!!!!!!!!!

Do you really expect someone to search 5-10 pages back to make sure that a link wasn’t already posted just so you won’t gave the terrible misfortune of seeing it again?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Did anyone else continue watching the coverage yesterday leading up to the presser? The footage of the team all sitting on the golf carts waiting to go in had me dying laughing.

Reed driving one cart, sitting with some older guy I didn’t recognize. Finau driving with Tiger who looked like he was about to fall into a coma. DJ driving one cart loaded with about 4 other players. Some guy walks up to them holding about 6 beers, right in front of DJ, and the camera cuts away.

Just seemed like a funny image for the camera to focus on for what seemed like 5 minutes.

I think we will have to change the rules for the next one just to make it fair for you guys. What about if we let you lot choose players from the rest of the world or what about strokes just something to make it more interesting for us on this side of the pond

Maybe we should play country vs country instead of continent vs country.

Yeah, they sure don't want that. Currently 740 million people vs. 325 million people. Wonder what the golf population is for each.

Almost 24M in the States and a little over 4M in Europe.

http://www.gegf.eu/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/EGCOA-Golf-Report-2017.pdf

I think we will have to change the rules for the next one just to make it fair for you guys. What about if we let you lot choose players from the rest of the world or what about strokes just something to make it more interesting for us on this side of the pond

Yeah, they sure don't want that. Currently 740 million people vs. 325 million people. Wonder what the golf population is for each.

http://www.gegf.eu/w...Report-2017.pdf

The team if it was just GB & I for example -

Rose

Mcilroy

Casey

Fleetwood

Hatton

Poulter

Fitzpatrick

Pepperell

Wallace

Knox

Fisher

Wood

Not a bad team who would give it a good go i reckon, would probably lose though

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Bettinardi BB39

I wonder if a captain would ever have the balls to pick somebody based on the type of course they're playing? Like instead of picking 4 guys that are up there in points, pick somebody who fits the course. What if Furyk picked Brian Gay and Russell Henley? Would have been pretty interesting, and funny.

The last time the US won in Europe the Captain picked two of his friends that were 51 and 43 years old. They finished #22 and #32 in the Ryder Cup standings. Ray Floyd and Lanny Wadkins went a combined 5-2-1 for Captain Tom Watson.

And in 1995 Lanny picked his friend Curtis Strange who went 0-3-0 including losing his singles match he was leading 1 up on 16 with Faldo in the trees. Goes from a chance to go 2 up with 2 to play to losing. All because Lanny picked his friend who wasn't playing well.

http://www.gegf.eu/w...Report-2017.pdf

The team if it was just GB & I for example -

Rose

Mcilroy

Casey

Fleetwood

Hatton

Poulter

Fitzpatrick

Pepperell

Wallace

Knox

Fisher

Wood

Not a bad team who would give it a good go i reckon, would probably lose though

That is a decent team, but I don’t think that team could win. Fitzpatrick and Wood choked horribly in 2016.

Americans are bitter because “Europe has more people” while having 1/6 of the golfing licenses they do. In fact, they should question why they are not able to win against a side that puts like 1/4 of they money they put into golf.

Nothing should change.

I don’t think the Americans care about the Ryder Cup like they should. I think the addition of the Presidents Cup has watered down the Ryder Cup a lot for the American players.

The Americans care, the Europeans just seem to care a lot more.

Not "more", just "also when they lose" ;)

The Ryder Cup even more solidifies why Jack is the GOAT.

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

The Ryder Cup even more solidifies why Jack is the GOAT.

I agree Jack is the GOAT, not sure why the Ryder cup Solidifies that though? he won 16 but lost 8, and even i would admit our team (GB&I/Europe) were bloody awful until the early to mid 80's, last team he played on was 81

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Bettinardi BB39