The 2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National (MERGED)

fillwelix

I don't know if its just me but I have a feeling the US team or many of them don't give a hoot about this event or playing for country and all that.Of course they could never say it publicly but to shelp to Paris with the family after a long season and grueling playoff schedule at the end of the season traveling to Paris wasn't high on their bucket list. Also they must have had a bit of reservations about Paris and France and terrorism but couldn't say that either. They play a little better at home but still if they were given a real CHOICE with no repercussions from fans and the press most would let it pass by. Just my opinion.

Everyone knew the schedule. Just asked my wife if she'd go to Paris with me for a week of golf. We've had a grueling year including a month out of town in the hospital with our youngest for 2 surgeries,and all the follow up that involves.

She said yes without hesitaion. The US tour has become a buncha pampered whimps.

Boo hoo on all the excuses. The U.S. team has been consistently overrated and underwheling. That's all there is to it.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was fun to watch, but clearly the best US players didn't do well this year. I think mainly due to the course setup.

The course setup was clearly an advantage for the European players and not the US bombers. The reason being was it was a course setup for more for accuracy (narrow fairways, long rough, lots of water). Heavy penalty for not hitting fairways at Le Golf National. That is why Molinari won so many matches. He is one of the most accurate ball strikers.

The US needs to take more a strategic approach to setting up US courses that favors their players as well and make Captain's picks whose game suits the venue.

These guys are professionals. They should hit fairways more often than not. I find bomb and gouge boring. No course management involved, no finesse...just hit it as far as you can and don't worry about the "rough". This was great course set-up. I wish more PGA Tour tournaments were set up like this.

If wide fairways and short rough are what is required for the US to win a RC, then golf is all the poorer for it.

I agree 100%. Accuracy should mean something.

It was fun to watch, but clearly the best US players didn't do well this year. I think mainly due to the course setup.

The course setup was clearly an advantage for the European players and not the US bombers. The reason being was it was a course setup for more for accuracy (narrow fairways, long rough, lots of water). Heavy penalty for not hitting fairways at Le Golf National. That is why Molinari won so many matches. He is one of the most accurate ball strikers.

The US needs to take more a strategic approach to setting up US courses that favors their players as well and make Captain's picks whose game suits the venue.

These guys are professionals. They should hit fairways more often than not. I find bomb and gouge boring. No course management involved, no finesse...just hit it as far as you can and don't worry about the "rough". This was great course set-up. I wish more PGA Tour tournaments were set up like this.

If wide fairways and short rough are what is required for the US to win a RC, then golf is all the poorer for it.

Disagree, if thats what our guys are used to then so be it.. Are the Euro horrible because they don't do well at pitch n putt (see two years ago)! Agree with what someone else posted above, the US need to take a trip or two over to the next Euro venue.. Id say its even harder for the US to win at home because the Euros play all the venues here!

I don't know if its just me but I have a feeling the US team or many of them don't give a hoot about this event or playing for country and all that.Of course they could never say it publicly but to shelp to Paris with the family after a long season and grueling playoff schedule at the end of the season traveling to Paris wasn't high on their bucket list. Also they must have had a bit of reservations about Paris and France and terrorism but couldn't say that either. They play a little better at home but still if they were given a real CHOICE with no repercussions from fans and the press most would let it pass by. Just my opinion.

Really?

Not to stereotype the ladies, but I bet you they loved it... happy wife=happy life.

They are not flying coach.

Terrorism? They have a much better chance getting shot in a carjacking somewhere between East Lake and the airport.

Scott, Spieth, and McIlroy had no trouble (eventhough they got some stick)bailing on the Olympics. If they really really didn't want to play, they could bail.

So after winning the Tour Championship for his first win in forever you think Tiger was thinking about the Ryder Cup the last 2 weeks? Even in the press room its like they have to say how much tey love the team 100X.

You guys really thought we were going to win this Ryder cup??? It was in Europe where we never win, on a course we don't play that they do every year and the week after everyone in USA team has been grinding out the end of season. We had maybe a slight chance to win

I'm not sure why many think the Fed Ex Cup is part of the reason US lost? Weren't most of Europe's team also competing in the Fed Ex Cup? Don't most of them also live in US and had to deal with he same jet leg? That's all a wash. Europe was in the same boat as US. Fed Ex Cup can't be an excuse for US looking tired and worn down. Rose seemed to have some energy to play this weekend.

It was 6 EUR 11 US - so yes not a reason, but another excuse.

It is fair that it was asking Tiger a lot to go from the huge highs of his comeback win, to this. But to say the US players were grinding it out? Pfft. Heck Brooks, Bubba, Phil, and Reed absolutely mailed it in at the Tour Championship.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Anyone consider the fact that one of the reasons it’s not as important to the US players is that it’s not as special due to the fact that they are forced to play The President’s Cup? You want to talk about a contrived exhibition?

The President’s Cup is nothing but a cash grab for the organizing bodies and for the US players I believe that it greatly dimishes the significance of The Ryder Cup.

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

Really?

Not to stereotype the ladies, but I bet you they loved it... happy wife=happy life.

They are not flying coach.

Terrorism? They have a much better chance getting shot in a carjacking somewhere between East Lake and the airport.

Scott, Spieth, and McIlroy had no trouble (eventhough they got some stick)bailing on the Olympics. If they really really didn't want to play, they could bail.

So after winning the Tour Championship for his first win in forever you think Tiger was thinking about the Ryder Cup the last 2 weeks? Even in the press room its like they have to say how much tey love the team 100X.

Actually in a reply to someone else I did just say "It is fair that it was asking Tiger a lot to go from the huge highs of his comeback win, to this." So I agree with Tiger being gassed, but otherwise it's just the typical excuses with some Fox news oooh dangerous Europe thrown in.

The Euros are asked the same cliched questions and have to go on and on about how much they love it. Don't look for creativity in golf 'journalists'.

Anyone consider the fact that one of the reasons it’s not as important to the US players is that it’s not as special due to the fact that they are forced to play The President’s Cup? You want to talk about a contrived exhibition?

The President’s Cup is nothing but a cash grab for the organizing bodies and for the US I believe that it greatly dimishes the significance of The Ryder Cup.

I don't think anyone (bar whoever gets paid from it) would miss the Presidents Cup at all. Agreed.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Just maybe, it's not a case of Tiger or Phil being over the hill. Or that US players can't play together. I might be going out on a limb here but maybe the US got beat again because the European team made more putts when they needed to. Sometimes you have to give credit where credit is due. The Euro's managed the golf course better than the US team did.

This for sure. It's a nasty conceit of American players, fans, and American golf media that, when we win, we just played awesome and, when we lose, it must be because we did something wrong like not using the pod system or Tom Watson was too cranky or the course was a joke. We just can't seem to bring ourselves to admit we got whupped because the Euros played better. There's always some external factor taking the cup away from us. It's an entitlement mentality that I abhor.

Gotta love internet forum predictions. Best US team ever, virtually unbeatable. Bjorn's captain's picks are terrible. And still the best of them all: Molinari and Golf Jesus aren't that good. If it hadn't been for some bozo who let the greens get to 12 on Sunday instead of the 10.5 they had been on the first two days, it wouldn't even have been that close for a while. It was obvious that the Americans who had struggled with the green speed on the first two days, suddenly made a lot more putts. And who were the idiots in US media, who were mentioned by Sam Torrance a few times during the European broadcast, who complained about the course being "too short and too narrow?" That was real golf, the way it is meant to be. Hit it straight or get punished. Oh, and has Nick Faldo already admitted that perhaps he was "useless" as a captain in 2008 and not so much Sergio as a player?

No no. It wasn't Faldo being a lousy captain or Garcia being a lousy player in 2008. It was Paul Azinger and his pods!

You guys really thought we were going to win this Ryder cup??? It was in Europe where we never win, on a course we don't play that they do every year and the week after everyone in USA team has been grinding out the end of season. We had maybe a slight chance to win

I'm not sure why many think the Fed Ex Cup is part of the reason US lost? Weren't most of Europe's team also competing in the Fed Ex Cup? Don't most of them also live in US and had to deal with he same jet leg? That's all a wash. Europe was in the same boat as US. Fed Ex Cup can't be an excuse for US looking tired and worn down. Rose seemed to have some energy to play this weekend.

It was 6 EUR 11 US - so yes not a reason, but another excuse.

It is fair that it was asking Tiger a lot to go from the huge highs of his comeback win, to this. But to say the US players were grinding it out? Pfft. Heck Brooks, Bubba, Phil, and Reed absolutely mailed it in at the Tour Championship.

Still, you guys thought USA would win this?? Never really crossed my mind. We don’t win in Europe and our team didn’t have near the experience with the course.

To your other point, USA team had like everyone in tour championship, euro had more guys rested and prepared.

Disagree, if thats what our guys are used to then so be it.. Are the Euro horrible because they don't do well at pitch n putt (see two years ago)! Agree with what someone else posted above, the US need to take a trip or two over to the next Euro venue.. Id say its even harder for the US to win at home because the Euros play all the venues here!

As a professional golfer you should be able to play any golf course skillfully. To blame the course set-up, as some have, is ridiculous.

Patrick Reeds wife going off on twitter: LOL

https://www.golf.com...twitter-spieth/

got to agree with her here re-pairings:

"Exactly. And Tiger and Justin play well together as well and I think Ricky found a great partner in Justin in the last Presidents cup ‘17, therefore if Tiger needed to rest or vice verse...they could easily have been interchangeable." ..And KEEP Reed and YJS together...

She says ask Jordan. I say ask your husband why he took shots at Jordan in the media and then took a shot at him during a tournament with a rules official. Both were low blows and I don't blame Spieth for wanting to drop Reed.

Bingo. I’ve defended Patrick in the past. But he absolutely asked for this one.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The US A team was made up of a lot of individuals ... think about it ... Reed, Bubba, Webb, Bryson, Phil, Tiger, a couple of bromances max

And guys off form couldn't find it on that style of course

The euro squad plays like they are a large motley crew of brothers ... with a chip on their shoulder

The team that wants it the most usually prevails

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

The Euro's played better, no doubt. Good golfers, playing well, at home, are going to be hard to beat.

However, the fact remains that the US lost (or the Euros won) this thing on Friday afternoon.

Just look closely at the guys Furyk put out there on Friday afternoon...and there is your answer.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Anyone consider the fact that one of the reasons it's not as important to the US players is that it's not as special due to the fact that they are forced to play The President's Cup? You want to talk about a contrived exhibition?

The President's Cup is nothing but a cash grab for the organizing bodies and for the US players I believe that it greatly dimishes the significance of The Ryder Cup.

I 100% agree with this - you could make the argument that the President's Cup is beneficial in trying out potential Ryder Cup pairings, but there is no evidence that has been a positive. It waters down the passion and effort put into the Ryder Cup, IMO.

I'm beginning to think that this Ryder Cup was almost cursed because of the actions of Phil Mickelson in the US Open. Here is a guy totally disrespecting the game of golf, and then expecting the play well in one of the biggest venues of the year. Call it karma, or whatever, Phil was a bad choice for the US team.

What did tiger do to earn the the double bad karma? 0-4 this week. what was his sin? oh Mikey best to leave the adults talk it out

I wonder why they scheduled the Ryder Cup the week after the Tour Championship and playoffs. They should give the players a week or two to decompress after the playoffs. The playoffs is a long stretch of golf and then add the Ryder Cup right after is tough. I think quite a few of the players looked spent the whole week.

I already mentioned that. Was told “ no. 5 weeks straight isn’t laborious for golf “. As if some how It was restful.

Whatever. It isn’t like I advocated for the euro Side to dig ditches on that week off. Both sides could have the week.

Seems like a rested team for both sides could only help the show !

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The Euro's played better, no doubt. Good golfers, playing well, at home, are going to be hard to beat.

However, the fact remains that the US lost (or the Euros won) this thing on Friday afternoon.

Just look closely at the guys Furyk put out there on Friday afternoon...and there is your answer.

Wouldn’t matter who furyk paired with who. We never had a chance with it in Europe. They are good at these 4 ball 4 some exhibitions, we are better at playing standard stroke tournament golf. Just how it is

9 1/2 points to 2 points for Thomas’s captain’s picks vs Jim’s

THIS is the most astute and critical post/point in this thread!!!

They should just appoint the shadow Captain the Captain now and let him keep it till either his emthusiasm runs out or he wins one, lol.

I might live long enough to see the former however I’ll be dead and buried waiting for the latter, lol

Please don’t make the mistake of thinking that the guy that’s everyone’s bud is the equivalent of being a Leader.

The latter has nothing to do with the former

Cept on the US RC team

And we see how that works out??

Bros, they didn’t just get beat, they got HUMILIATED!!!

Captains’ Picks Points:

Europe.....9 1/2

US............2

Fairways(Unless you’re a US Cupper) & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I hated JT coming into the Ryder Cup but I’ve done a 180 on him. I loved the passion and fire he showed out there. One of the few that actually seemed invested in the outcome.

Does it hurt us that our best players are either so chill (Brooks and DJ) or so robotic (Tiger) compared to the Europeans? Up until midway through his match today’s Tiger was moping around that course like he was heading to his execution. Which I guess figuratively he was LOL

Major props to Webb and Bubba for their Saturday performance, Webb for his singles match today. People were burying them and they came through. Happy for them.

I don't understand how the narrative has become the US "doesn't care". Literally all that's been talked about the last 2 years was how much continuity the US has now, and how the guys like playing with eachother. Tiger worked as vice captain last time, and said he wanted to play his way back onto the team.

They lose, and suddenly it's because they don't care, and because Tiger doesn't care, and because Earl didn't teach him team golf (as though everyone else is "wired" to play it). Please.

The script will easily be flipped in 2 years. Europe got the best out of some older veterans who might not be back, or might not nearly be as good (Poulter, Stenson, Garcia, Casey). Rose is no spring chicken either, nor is Noren. That's a big big part of their team.

Meanwhile the US will return the cream of the crop of their team (JT, Spieth, Reed, DJ, Koepka, Fowler, Finau, Bryson, maybe Webb), and maybe be able to rid themselves of some of the old guard.

Then we'll be talking about how great the US looks and that they're back on track. I feel like they need a guy like Horschel or Keegan to get hot and get on the team just because those guys are so passionate at the event, and I think they'd do well when they're on the road.

I feel like they need a guy like Horschel or Keegan to get hot and get on the team just because those guys are so passionate at the event, and I think they'd do well when they're on the road.

Those two guys drive the ball much straighter than most of our team members this year, so that would be nice to have on the team.

I hated JT coming into the Ryder Cup but I've done a 180 on him. I loved the passion and fire he showed out there. One of the few that actually seemed invested in the outcome.

Does it hurt us that our best players are either so chill (Brooks and DJ) or so robotic (Tiger) compared to the Europeans? Up until midway through his match today's Tiger was moping around that course like he was heading to his execution. Which I guess figuratively he was LOL

Major props to Webb and Bubba for their Saturday performance, Webb for his singles match today. People were burying them and they came through. Happy for them.

I absolutely unloaded on JT after his antics at the WGC mexico last year. Ever since hes done a 180 and still has the fire but doesnt act like a jackass anymore.Im a big fan of his. he watched himself on tv and got embarrassed and matured quick. he let his game do the talking.He and spieth have to be the leaders going forward. They have the fire and steely resolve needed for these events. Hand over the keys to them and let them soar

I wonder if a captain would ever have the balls to pick somebody based on the type of course they’re playing? Like instead of picking 4 guys that are up there in points, pick somebody who fits the course. What if Furyk picked Brian Gay and Russell Henley? Would have been pretty interesting, and funny.

I hated JT coming into the Ryder Cup but I’ve done a 180 on him. I loved the passion and fire he showed out there. One of the few that actually seemed invested in the outcome.

Does it hurt us that our best players are either so chill (Brooks and DJ) or so robotic (Tiger) compared to the Europeans? Up until midway through his match today’s Tiger was moping around that course like he was heading to his execution. Which I guess figuratively he was LOL

I have to admit that too. JT sure grew on me a lot this weekend. Especially today and the post round interview. Showed more class than I thought he had. If they all had his grit we’d have seen a different score.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I don't understand how the narrative has become the US "doesn't care". Literally all that's been talked about the last 2 years was how much continuity the US has now, and how the guys like playing with eachother. Tiger worked as vice captain last time, and said he wanted to play his way back onto the team.

They lose, and suddenly it's because they don't care, and because Tiger doesn't care, and because Earl didn't teach him team golf (as though everyone else is "wired" to play it). Please.

The script will easily be flipped in 2 years. Europe got the best out of some older veterans who might not be back, or might not nearly be as good (Poulter, Stenson, Garcia, Casey). Rose is no spring chicken either, nor is Noren. That's a big big part of their team.

Meanwhile the US will return the cream of the crop of their team (JT, Spieth, Reed, DJ, Koepka, Fowler, Finau, Bryson, maybe Webb), and maybe be able to rid themselves of some of the old guard.

Then we'll be talking about how great the US looks and that they're back on track. I feel like they need a guy like Horschel or Keegan to get hot and get on the team just because those guys are so passionate at the event, and I think they'd do well when they're on the road.

I agree when they play in europe the selections have to be cold blooded and ignore the rankings. you want the zach johnson types who are scrappy and rarely out of holes. Bring over young players like aaron wise and xander even if theyre not playing so they see the atmosphere experience how it works. what do 2 airplane tickets and 2 extra hotel rooms cost? peanuts. more mentorship and internal competition can only help

They play different at home for sure and have won convincingly a few times in the last 10 years so just change up the plan on the road.Europe was full value and earned the win fair and square but there no reason for it to be so lopsided. theyve figured out how to win and be competitive at home. no reason they cant win over there

I hated JT coming into the Ryder Cup but I've done a 180 on him. I loved the passion and fire he showed out there. One of the few that actually seemed invested in the outcome.

Does it hurt us that our best players are either so chill (Brooks and DJ) or so robotic (Tiger) compared to the Europeans? Up until midway through his match today's Tiger was moping around that course like he was heading to his execution. Which I guess figuratively he was LOL

Got nothing to do with being robotic. DJ's putter left him for most of the week, Reed wasn't Captain America, Phil and Tiger went 0-6, and Bubba just stinks at Ryder Cup golf. The American players really wanted to win this week and stop the losing in Europe whether they were robots or not.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

There's absolutely no way the US guys don't care. I've participated in a Ryder Cup with buddies for many years with pocket change on the line and the guys care. It's fun, it's pride. Maybe by Sunday US guys were dejected but they come into this caring, I guarantee.

Bottom line is that many US guys don't play like a team.

I agree when they play in europe the selections have to be cold blooded and ignore the rankings. you want the zach johnson types who are scrappy and rarely out of holes. Bring over young players like aaron wise and xander even if theyre not playing so they see the atmosphere experience how it works. what do 2 airplane tickets and 2 extra hotel rooms cost? peanuts. more mentorship and internal competition can only help

They play different at home for sure and have won convincingly a few times in the last 10 years so just change up the plan on the road.Europe was full value and earned the win fair and square but there no reason for it to be so lopsided. theyve figured out how to win and be competitive at home. no reason they cant win over there

The 2020 Ryder Cup team will be DJ, Brooks, Finau, Reed, Spieth, JT, Bryson, Xander, Cantlay, Rickie, and a few more young or 30 something guns that play well. They will do just fine at Whistling Straits and get some experience before they come back to Europe.

I was against it at the time, but it would have been great to have seen how Xander, Cantlay, Kisner, Na, and Horschel would have played.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna