The 2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National (MERGED)

fillwelix

The question about Reed and Spieth was the most interesting due to no one wanting to answer. Something going on with Reed/Spieth based on Reed's wife moments on twitter. Rest of press conference was standard. Tiger gave his standard "it was reall tough out there" comments. Phil said he played bad.

Remember when Reed didn't get the drop he wanted in the spring and complained to an official "I didn't get it bc I'm not Jordan Spieth." Maybe that pissed Spieth off and he asked not to play with Reed.

Spieth has never liked Reed. This year was just the last straw.. The comment by Reed about his back hurting from carrying Spieth, the drop comment you mentioned, and Reed signing Jordan's neck with a sharpie. I do think Jordan should've manned up and played with him anyway. It seemed to crush Reed this week and he wasn't himself the first 2 days. JT could've won with anyone so breaking the Reed/Spieth pairing messed everything up. That and Phil trying to be the smartest guy in the room and demanding he play in foursomes with Bryson instead of four ball. Yeah, you showed em Phil..

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided against the Avalon, guys. Turns out it wasn't a good fit for me after all.

Ha! Did you pick up a daucshound this weekend or maybe some Michelob pee-water beer?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Furyk comes from the time of the US's worst Ryder Cup performances, why reward that with a Captaincy? We obviously didn't play well, but most of our troubles come down to bad management and pitiful pairings. Personally, I think Furyk was a worse Captain than Pavin or Sutton. Incapable of inspiring anyone, and too dull to be imaginative with the pairings. Scared to see who they pick next.

It will Mr Inspiration.... Steve Stricker. 3-7-1 record.

Good luck!

Sure but the problem is everyone of age/time in their career for being considered, likely has a losing record due to the US losing 9/12 or whatever it is now.

If they really wanted to think outside the box, there is one obvious choice: Butch Harmon

He knows all of them, has been or is a coach/consultant to them and would have their respect. And I don't think anywhere it says they have to pick a player/former player. Pretty sure Butch was/is a card carrying PGA professional* too.

*Note I don't mean PGA Tour, but PGA Pro.

Tiger's generation in Ryder Cup

Furyk 10-20-4 LOST

Phil 18-22-7

Tiger 13-21-3

Stewart Cink 5-7-7

Zach Johnson 8-7-2: if it isn't Stricker, it's likely to be him

Matt Kuchar 6-7-2

Bubba Watson 4-10

Justin Leonard 2-4-6

Hunter Mahan 4-4-4 (!)

David Toms 4-6-2

Jeff Maggert 6-5

Stricker 3-7-1

Chad Campbell 3-4-2

Pathetic. Zach is the only one with a winning record. Phil had some great Cups, and some horrid ones. Hunter made the biggest choke swing ever, but at least his record is respectable.

We need more Jeff Maggert.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

It was great watching the Europeans win. They just seem so happy to be around each other and play for each other. You just know somewhere in Europe a pair of 10 year old friends are lining up a putt and saying "this is to win the Ryder Cup..."

I played with my mate yesterday and just happened to be wearing a red, white and blue outfit. On the last hole, after we’d both hacked it up the fairway, I had a 3 foot putt for a 7 to match his score. I said something like: ‘This to halve the hole for the half point for the US to retain the Cup.’

I’m a Brit and I’m 48...the Ryder Cup gets me more excited about golf than anything else. Hopefully it gets kids all over the world ‘lining up putts!’

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

I would like to start a petition to serve Bubba a lifetime ban from the Ryder Cup.

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I think we will have to change the rules for the next one just to make it fair for you guys. What about if we let you lot choose players from the rest of the world or what about strokes just something to make it more interesting for us on this side of the pond

Strokes is good.

Or how bout any Euro who came here to play 4 years in college or lives here more than 8 months a year plays for us.

That way, we get Rahm, Poulter, and Rory.

Actually, you can keep Rors ; )

The question about Reed and Spieth was the most interesting due to no one wanting to answer. Something going on with Reed/Spieth based on Reed's wife moments on twitter. Rest of press conference was standard. Tiger gave his standard "it was reall tough out there" comments. Phil said he played bad.

Remember when Reed didn't get the drop he wanted in the spring and complained to an official "I didn't get it bc I'm not Jordan Spieth." Maybe that pissed Spieth off and he asked not to play with Reed.

Spieth has never liked Reed. This year was just the last straw.. The comment by Reed about his back hurting from carrying Spieth, the drop comment you mentioned, and Reed signing Jordan's neck with a sharpie. I do think Jordan should've manned up and played with him anyway. It seemed to crush Reed this week and he wasn't himself the first 2 days. JT could've won with anyone so breaking the Reed/Spieth pairing messed everything up. That and Phil trying to be the smartest guy in the room and demanding he play in foursomes with Bryson instead of four ball. Yeah, you showed em Phil..

Reed really come out of this ryder cup well amougst the European fans, loved his banter at the end with his shush finger as a joke then applauded the supporters straight after. Reed seems to be more respected in Europe than the US... Not sure why

Decided against the Avalon, guys. Turns out it wasn't a good fit for me after all.

Ha! Did you pick up a daucshound this weekend or maybe some Michelob pee-water beer?

If I get a dachshund I want it to have enough money to buy me a house (preferably financed through US Bank).

Regarding beer, I'm with Hawkeye. It's hard to trust a beer you can see through.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I think we will have to change the rules for the next one just to make it fair for you guys. What about if we let you lot choose players from the rest of the world or what about strokes just something to make it more interesting for us on this side of the pond

Maybe we should play country vs country instead of continent vs country.

Strokes is good.

Or how bout any Euro who came here to play 4 years in college or lives here more than 8 months a year plays for us.

I think as long as they don't have an American WAG they should still be allowed to play for Europe.

But if they meet some lovely young thing at some tournament in Florida, there should be consequences ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

i thought Brexit was a subversive plot arranged by the PGA of America to break up team Europe. I mean we could create a NAFTA team and take them on.

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Strokes is good.

This ^^^... Probably more like 75% would be playing for US.

I'm beginning to think that this Ryder Cup was almost cursed because of the actions of Phil Mickelson in the US Open. Here is a guy totally disrespecting the game of golf, and then expecting the play well in one of the biggest venues of the year. Call it karma, or whatever, Phil was a bad choice for the US team.

It was fun to watch, but clearly the best US players didn't do well this year. I think mainly due to the course setup.

The course setup was clearly an advantage for the European players and not the US bombers. The reason being was it was a course setup for more for accuracy (narrow fairways, long rough, lots of water). Heavy penalty for not hitting fairways at Le Golf National. That is why Molinari won so many matches. He is one of the most accurate ball strikers.

The US needs to take more a strategic approach to setting up US courses that favors their players as well and make Captain's picks whose game suits the venue.

It was fun to watch, but clearly the best US players didn't do well this year. I think mainly due to the course setup.

The course setup was clearly an advantage for the European players and not the US bombers. The reason being was it was a course setup for more for accuracy (arrow fairways, long rough, lots of water). Heavy penalty for not hitting fairways at Le Golf National. That is why Molinari won so many matches. He is one of the most accurate ball strikers.

The US needs to take more a strategic approach to setting up US courses that favors their players as well and make Captain's picks whose game suits the venue.

Exactly. Furyk should have referenced the accuracy chart and picked our best guys from that.

Very happy over all, just one very slight disappointment...

Phil hits in the water and Molinari wins the Ryder Cup for Europe. While I am very happy Molinari got to win it with his amazing performance this week, I would personally have liked Phil to hit anywhere but the water so they continue to play the hole and in the meantime: Stenson crushes Bubba to win the Ryder Cup!

Alex making that bomb on 18 to take a point over Bryson, while completely irrelevant for the big picture, was nice icing on the cake though.

It's always good to see Bubba lose.

Help me remember, but is Whistling Straits just as penal out of the fairway as Le Golf National is?

Weather was benign in 2015 for the PGA and the pros ate it up. -20 to win and lots of -10 or better total scores.

Real mix of players on the leaderboard. TBH I don't know how they are going to create a home course advantage there besides all the pisshead bros that turn up.

F.T.

I laughed so much i choked on my chateauneuf du pape and dropped my croissant

Y’all know what’s happening for the first time ever in 2020 don’t ya.. the Olympics and the Ryder Cup in the same year.

Any idea what the (horrible) FedEx playoff schedule is going to look like that year? Ryder Cup date adjustment? The Olympics aren’t changing dates obviously, and the BS excuses from the Brazil games will not be in play.

I liked the Olympic golf. And I think the players want to win a gold medal now that they’ve seen Justin Rose with his. I’d want to win a gold medal as much as anything besides the four majors.

Help me remember, but is Whistling Straits just as penal out of the fairway as Le Golf National is?

Weather was benign in 2015 for the PGA and the pros ate it up. -20 to win and lots of -10 or better total scores.

Real mix of players on the leaderboard. TBH I don't know how they are going to create a home course advantage there besides all the pisshead bros that turn up.

It can be a long course which will help

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Ya held on to your scotch, though ; )

I don’t blame Jim for the picks though. They were no-brainers that 95% of people wanted, including the US players that qualified. But next time, the old guard can’t be picked.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Had nothing to do with course setup or anything else, Euros are better at this. And they have been for quite some time. Their games travel better and they know how to play teams.

European tour is my favorite early a.m. weekend t.v. Even when they add a wrinkle like the shot clock it's better golf than the PGA Tour. It just is.

Congrats to the Euro team.

ya that was an own forsure

Yeah, they sure don't want that. Currently 740 million people vs. 325 million people. Wonder what the golf population is for each.