The 2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National (MERGED)

fillwelix

Has it really gotten to the point we are discussing Julien Suri a non PGA Tour or Euro tour member as a potential difference maker ? The US simply got outplayed again, nothing more.

wmqyeg82x3wx.jpg

I wonder if a captain would ever have the balls to pick somebody based on the type of course they're playing? Like instead of picking 4 guys that are up there in points, pick somebody who fits the course. What if Furyk picked Brian Gay and Russell Henley? Would have been pretty interesting, and funny.

The last time the US won in Europe the Captain picked two of his friends that were 51 and 43 years old. They finished #22 and #32 in the Ryder Cup standings. Ray Floyd and Lanny Wadkins went a combined 5-2-1 for Captain Tom Watson.

WHO ARE YOU?! HOW DO YOU FIND ALL THESE DAMN FACTS AND RANDOM PIECES OF INFORMATION?!!

This isn't common knowledge?

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has it really gotten to the point we are discussing Julien Suri a non PGA Tour or Euro tour member as a potential difference maker ? The US simply got outplayed again, nothing more.

Suri is most certainly a Euro Tour member and ET tour winner. Currently world top 70 and in the top 30 in the ET Race To Dubai. The people trying to tip Suri at this time for a revisionist USA RC pick don't know what they are talking about.

I think we will have to change the rules for the next one just to make it fair for you guys. What about if we let you lot choose players from the rest of the world or what about strokes just something to make it more interesting for us on this side of the pond

Maybe we should play country vs country instead of continent vs country.

There is no country in Europe that has 300 mio people.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

This for sure. It's a nasty conceit of American players, fans, and American golf media that, when we win, we just played awesome and, when we lose, it must be because we did something wrong like not using the pod system or Tom Watson was too cranky or the course was a joke. We just can't seem to bring ourselves to admit we got whupped because the Euros played better. There's always some external factor taking the cup away from us. It's an entitlement mentality that I abhor.

German fans and media do exactly the same thing in football (soccer). They can never ever admit that they got outplayed, it is always about themselves, and their mistakes, when they lose.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Good deal. Loved the course and I wanted Finau to do well, but I thought it was important for Europe to win. I don't see them winning on American soil next time and by 2022 so many stalwarts of their team will be into their 40s if not mid 40s, guys like Stenson, Poulter, Garcia and Rose.

If Europe lost this one I think it easily could have been a string of American victories. The Europeans have had Fleetwood surge into prominence and Molinari have a career season in his mid 30s but they need more young guys like Rahm to establish for a decade or more.

That rough was perfect. Not forcing sideways hack outs but severely changing flight and control toward the green.

Good deal. Loved the course and I wanted Finau to do well, but I thought it was important for Europe to win. I don't see them winning on American soil next time and by 2022 so many stalwarts of their team will be into their 40s if not mid 40s, guys like Stenson, Poulter, Garcia and Rose.

If Europe lost this one I think it easily could have been a string of American victories. The Europeans have had Fleetwood surge into prominence and Molinari have a career season in his mid 30s but they need more young guys like Rahm to establish for a decade or more.

That rough was perfect. Not forcing sideways hack outs but severely changing flight and control toward the green.

You do realise the US have only won 2 Ryder cups since the 90's, but yeah really important for Europe to win this one :cheesy:

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

You do realise the US have only won 2 Ryder cups since the 90's, but yeah really important for Europe to win this one :cheesy:

spot on

A couple of months ago there was a comment in another thread which went on the lines of.. It's really easy for American pro's to come to Europe and win any of the tournaments hosted in Europe, because the standard of golf was not very good. It's odd that when some Americans did come over they didn't win, when they came over on mass they didn't win. Maybe more Europeans should play on the PGA tour, seems like it should be a piece of cake for them.

I thought it was more important that America won this one, given the strength of their team, to show they could do it away from home. I played Marco Simone golf course earlier this year. Tough and more of the same in 2022. US have to work out something if they're ever going to win. Adare Manor in 2026 might suit them should it go there. Tom Fazio design, greens and slopes quite like an American course like Augusta.

A couple of months ago there was a comment in another thread which went on the lines of.. It's really easy for American pro's to come to Europe and win any of the tournaments hosted in Europe, because the standard of golf was not very good. It's odd that when some Americans did come over they didn't win, when they came over on mass they didn't win. Maybe more Europeans should play on the PGA tour, seems like it should be a piece of cake for them.

Personally i think its just a case of different styles of golf. i think had the greens been fast the Americans would have destroyed us on the putting greens. also, the Americans on as a whole hit the ball further but not as accurate. that's why I think the next ryder cup will be American dominated. low rough and fast greens is not good for European players.

Could be home wins for each team in the next decade. However, the US team has a core of young players that are more likely to win away than the Europeans. It’s going to difficult to replace the old guard. I can see the Euro teams having 5 rookies for every Ryder cup on the next 6 years.

I think it's pretty much proven this is not the case, the US hasn't won in Europe since 93 I think, Europe have won in the US 3 times in the past 5 away Ryder cups

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Bettinardi BB39

The difference between the Euro and American RC mentality?

The Euro plays would happily play with ANYONE in their team, play ANYWHERE in the order and NEVER gripe about being rested.

It is a team event and nothing to do with individual egos.

Just the knowledge the US team had a sign on the door of their team room stating egos should be left at the door tells us all we need to know.

PXG Gen 2 X MCA Diamana BF
Callaway Epic 15* GD AD I
Callaway Epic Hybrid 20* GD AD I
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged/ Hot Metal Combo 5-9
Ping Glide 2.0 46/50/54/58
Scotty Cameron Circa 5
Bridgestone BX

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Just heard a stat that im quite surprised at, given that everyone seems to think the US are so much better in the singles, including myself.

In the past 10 Ryder cups (including Brookline)

Europe lead the Sunday singles 6 - 4

Total points -

Europe 63.5 - US 56.5

I'm guessing just because of Brookline everyone thinks the US are better, seems not

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Bettinardi BB39

heard it somewhere over the w/e and i believe it - the US values # majors they win........the euros value winning the RC much more. plus the US egos are too huge to play well together as a group. my 2 cents on it.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

I think we will have to change the rules for the next one just to make it fair for you guys. What about if we let you lot choose players from the rest of the world or what about strokes just something to make it more interesting for us on this side of the pond

Maybe we should play country vs country instead of continent vs country.

I remember reading a report from the R&A saying that Europe has 22% of all world golf facilities and North America about 55%. Of course this takes into account Canada and the Caribbean, but I do remember also these countries didn't really contribute to the overall North American total. America has always dwarfed Europe in golf.

This is one of the reasons I believe Europe does OK in the Ryder Cup and you guys do so well in the majors. You can really see it in the celebrations of the European team, they really do believe they are the underdogs and that they have just defeated the mighty United States of America. Individually, the U.S. will always win more majors - simply a larger pool of great players coming through a huge facility base. But as a team...they are nothing like the Europeans. This is what Alan Shipnuck fails to understand when he writes that 2020 is bright.

Now Reed's telling the NYT he was "blindsided" by not playing with Spieth and saying most of the players weren't consulted for their opinion. He and his wife need to go away. It's pretty clear why Spieth wouldn't want to play with him, and I'm not sure what that had to do with Reed playing like garbage for the whole weekend. Seems like, in general, Patrick Reed and team structures aren't a good mix.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

It's that simple. Morning Drive is in total meltdown with theories.

Forget team makeup

Forget silly PODS

Forget infighting

Forget the captain

Forget comparisons to team sports like football and basketball

Just play better if it means something to you.

Oh and stop making emotional picks like Mickelson.

And yet it’s not a piece of cake for them. Rose, Stenson, Poulter, Garcia, McIlroy have been American Tour members for many years. They haven’t exactly dominated like prime Tiger.

And yet it’s not a piece of cake for them. Rose, Stenson, Poulter, Garcia, McIlroy have been American Tour members for many years. They haven’t exactly dominated like prime Tiger.

That comment was silly when it was made and the reverse is just as silly. There is far more at play and the person that said it's easy for Americans to go over and win was talking from a position if zero knowledge.

American players who may have been better suited to the course:

- Zach Johnson

- Brandt Snedeker

- Matt Kuchar

- Kevin Kisner

same result with any of these mentioned

Its always easier in hindsight, there would have been absolute meltdown on here if Furyk picked them instead of the guys he did

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Bettinardi BB39