The 2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National (MERGED)

fillwelix

The Ryder Cup even more solidifies why Jack is the GOAT.

agree and i believe it just meant more back then.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget the Captain issues.

Forget the Personality issues.

Until the USGA and PGA tour changes American golf from bomb and gouge entertainment 59/58 quest exhibitions into placing the premium on driving accuracy, we will continue to lose on foreign soil. PERIOD.

Unfortunately, like everything else in America, it's all about the Benjamins...

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

Something mildly interesting (I thought): Bjorn didn't partner up any fellow countrymen, with the exception of some of the English players (unavoidable really, as there were 5 of them). Rahm and Garcia didn't team up, nor did Noren and Stenson. Nor was Thorbjorn teamed up with either Noren or Stenson to make a "Scandinavian pair". It's been common to pair up fellow countrymen in the past, especially if one's a rookie (like Olazabal with Seve in 1987, and Parnevik with Per Ulrik Johannson in (*Googles*) 1997, and more recently McIlroy and McDowell in 2010.

Obviously, this isn't a hard-and-fast rule, but it was almost like he deliberately avoided it. Garcia and Noren were paired up twice, and Rahm got a mix of partners.

Not a criticism, just an observation.

Interesting observation, I'm thinking its just a coincidence rather than deliberate.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Forget the Captain issues.

Forget the Personality issues.

Until the USGA and PGA tour changes American golf from bomb and gouge entertainment 59/58 quest exhibitions into placing the premium on driving accuracy, we will continue to lose on foreign soil. PERIOD.

Unfortunately, like everything else in America, it's all about the Benjamins...

So much truth in this post.

I noticed one journalist posed the question to Team USA about the lack of competitive rounds @ Le Golf National and he got a quick and quite barbed response, "Its the same course" meaning playing during the Open de France or just a scouting trip its the same regardless. Technically correct but they must have known what he was meaning.

Yes these are the best players in the world and the can figure out a strategy but the Euro players had multiple experiences of doing that on this course from their previous outings at the Open de France, has to be a factor to some extent. Surely if there is an opportunity to play competitive rounds its more beneficial than just practice.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Never knew Frankie had such a sense of humor. He always seems so stoic on the course.

I was thinking yesterday - besides maybe a few drives - I don't think Frankie missed more than 3 iron shots all week. The dude was in the mutha xxxxxx zone with his irons. Pure clinic.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I love the RC but not what it has become.......The constant chants of USA and the clapping of bad shots is just getting to much. The players on both sides act like idiots with the constant chest pumping and " I can't hear you" and "sush" hand gestures is beneath what the RC is about. A exhibition of golf which is a gentleman's game at it's roots. Played with respect. And I am afraid with all the young guys it is just getting worse it appears they all try and out do each other with their antics. It is hard to root for Reed and Jordan with his constant whining and excuses and now JT is acting the fool as well. Show some emotion with a fist pump if needed and when you win jump up and down sing and spray champagne but play the game with some self control and respect for all involved. And the crowd should calm down as well it's friggin Europe v America not Nazi Germany or Cold War Russia we are playing. Most of all these guys are close friends in fact the most hated guys playing are probably Reed and Bubba and they are hated by their own teammates. Rant Over. Oh no more Phil not even as captain he blew that chance with his antics a few years ago.

Callaway Rouge 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* Aldila Rogue Silver
PING G410 Crossover 2i Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
PING i230 4-U Recoil F4 Smac Wrap
Vokey SM7 Black 54f - 58k
Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 33"

I love the RC but not what it has become.......The constant chants of USA and the clapping of bad shots is just getting to much. The players on both sides act like idiots with the constant chest pumping and " I can't hear you" and "sush" hand gestures is beneath what the RC is about. A exhibition of golf which is a gentleman's game at it's roots. Played with respect. And I am afraid with all the young guys it is just getting worse it appears they all try and out do each other with their antics. It is hard to root for Reed and Jordan with his constant whining and excuses and now JT is acting the fool as well. Show some emotion with a fist pump if needed and when you win jump up and down sing and spray champagne but play the game with some self control and respect for all involved. And the crowd should calm down as well it's friggin Europe v America not Nazi Germany or Cold War Russia we are playing. Most of all these guys are close friends in fact the most hated guys playing are probably Reed and Bubba and they are hated by their own teammates. Rant Over. Oh no more Phil not even as captain he blew that chance with his antics a few years ago.

Someone got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning!

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

If the USA fields a weak team like this at whistling Straits, it will be a bigger embarrassment since its on USA soil. This was a pathetic showing. While Phil is kicking cans off a guys head, the EU team was dominating

pretty sure Phil is done with Ryder cup. He even said that before playing this was most likely his last

Heading into Sunday’s singles, Vegas has the US retaining the cup. Interesting.

If the USA fields a weak team like this at whistling Straits, it will be a bigger embarrassment since its on USA soil. This was a pathetic showing. While Phil is kicking cans off a guys head, the EU team was dominating

pretty sure Phil is done with Ryder cup. He even said that before playing this was most likely his last

Yesterday Phil said he really wants to qualify for 2010

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Heading into Sunday's singles, Vegas has the US retaining the cup. Interesting.

Yesterday Phil said he really wants to qualify for 2010

He did, he lost that one as well :taunt:

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

Someone got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning!

No I am good and happy for Europe I like all those guys......but I am a bit sleep deprived after getting up at 12am Friday and Saturday and 4 am Sunday.

Callaway Rouge 9* Aldila Rogue Silver 44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 15* Aldila Rogue Silver
PING G410 Crossover 2i Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
PING i230 4-U Recoil F4 Smac Wrap
Vokey SM7 Black 54f - 58k
Scotty Cameron Futura X7M 33"

Something mildly interesting (I thought): Bjorn didn't partner up any fellow countrymen, with the exception of some of the English players (unavoidable really, as there were 5 of them). Rahm and Garcia didn't team up, nor did Noren and Stenson. Nor was Thorbjorn teamed up with either Noren or Stenson to make a "Scandinavian pair". It's been common to pair up fellow countrymen in the past, especially if one's a rookie (like Olazabal with Seve in 1987, and Parnevik with Per Ulrik Johannson in (*Googles*) 1997, and more recently McIlroy and McDowell in 2010.

Obviously, this isn't a hard-and-fast rule, but it was almost like he deliberately avoided it. Garcia and Noren were paired up twice, and Rahm got a mix of partners.

Interesting observation, I'm thinking its just a coincidence rather than deliberate.

I am guessing that he prioritised other points (such as style of play, strengths/weaknesses) over possible chemistry based on shared language/nationality that comes from playing with a fellow countryman. I found it interesting that he DIDN'T pair Garcia with Rahm but Noren. He paired the seasoned veteran with a Ryder Cup rookie, but not the one I expected.

Interesting. Didn't even think about this until you mentioned it.

9 1/2 points to 2 points for Thomas's captain's picks vs Jim's

THIS is the most astute and critical post/point in this thread!!!

They should just appoint the shadow Captain the Captain now and let him keep it till either his emthusiasm runs out or he wins one, lol.

I might live long enough to see the former however I'll be dead and buried waiting for the latter, lol

Please don't make the mistake of thinking that the guy that's everyone's bud is the equivalent of being a Leader.

The latter has nothing to do with the former

Cept on the US RC team

And we see how that works out??

Bros, they didn't just get beat, they got HUMILIATED!!!

Captains' Picks Points:

Europe.....9 1/2

US............2

Fairways(Unless you're a US Cupper) & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

OK, true enough. If you had been the captain, who would you have picked?

obvo kisner and kuchar.... over tiger woods and phil..... not a chance in 25 lifetimes that would ever happen assuming tiger and phil are ranked higher than them in OWGR.....

Excellent choices and One would be my choice if I were going to leave both Icons off of the team.

I know, I know, I’ve chirped amongst the loudest about the tail not waggin the dog, the inmates not running the asylum, yada yada yada, however this event being under the microscope that it is under, and I must say that his Play through the Summer and the PGA Championship, culminating in his victory, made Tiger the easy choice here.

Unfortunately, Phil is like a cancer, though apparently a necessary one at that, as he has made himself indispensable, from being on the friggin committee, to his rapport with the younger guys, ya gotta deal with him.

I would sit down with him one on one, in a room and tell him that I’m going with Tiger and Keegan.

Tiger, due to the above stated reasoning and Keegan, because one, he’s a fairway finder and this course places a premium on hitting those fairways, as we have seen, and secondly, he has solid successful Ryder Cup experience and his Mentor, Phil, taught him well and he will be a true asset on the course and in the locker room.

I would then make Phil one of my Asst. Captains.

I am a strong believer in the ole cliche about keeping your friends close though your enemies closer, and my telling Phil that he’s off the team just put me in the latter category with him, lol

The fact that I chose his Protege and then offered him an Asst. Captaincy sort of ties his hands as far as lashing out at me because by doing so, he looks like a bigger entitled self-centered arsehole than we know him to be?

So, that would be my team?

And one thing that this debacle did was make it extremely easy for future captains~

Tiger and Phil have used up their goodwill Captain’s picks and will have to qualify!!

That in itsef is almost worth the humiliation that they experienced this past weekend, hahaha

Almost!!!

My strategy with the team that went to France??

That’s another post, hahaha

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

The fact that I chose his Protege and then offered him an Asst. Captaincy sort of ties his hands as far as lashing out at me because by doing so, he looks like a bigger entitled self-centered arsehole than we know him to be

That would be like daring Phil to see how big a one he could be.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

the fact that in their last 2 Ryder Cup losses there is immediate complaining and whining by team members tells me ALL i really need to know about the US team chemistry and camaraderie. you think these issues just popped into their head in the couple hours following the loss. or is there a chance that internally they'd been thinking this all weekend and weren't really buying in so to speak the entire time.

i also feel it is completely unrealistic to think a professional golfer, at the level these guys are, is just going to say "i can't event stand the site of that guy but yeah, i will play with him for the good of us all, and NOT play with my good buddy from childhood." no matter what we refuse to believe, these guys are people with the same petty issues everyone else in society has and deals with on a day to day basis. and until the underlying problems, due to individual personalities, are removed from this team, they will never have continued success.

and blame the captain all you want, but if one of his players is considered his professional superior, and does things to undermine his authority, he doesn't have complete control, and never will. way too many little things with this group of people that in the end add up and destroy any sort of "team" they wish to create. losing reveals a great deal.

The fact that I chose his Protege and then offered him an Asst. Captaincy sort of ties his hands as far as lashing out at me because by doing so, he looks like a bigger entitled self-centered arsehole than we know him to be?

As long as it was behind closed dooors, I’d be fine with it.

If he took it into the public domain, via social media, the press or others, I would own his arse, hahaha.

It would be the biggest mistake that he could make, though I would enjoy it immensely Mattie?

After spending 17+ years in a locker room, I have lived by the immutable law that what’s said in the locker room stays in the locker room.

If and when someone breaks that law, the gloves come off, there are no rules, other than to speak articulately and I would own his arse, and it would not be me against Phil, as he would win that and own me.

It would be framed Phil against his teammates, his fellow committee men and all of the Ryder Cuppers that have come before him and who’s legacies he and the other team members are responsible for carrying on, protecting and enhancing.

This is a TEAM event, not a ME event, even if you are an Icon such as Phil~

So was Jack

So was Tom Watson

So was Raymond

So was Sam

So was Mr. Palmer

So was Ben

So was Sir Walter

So was Lloyd Mangrum

So was Byron Nelson

And not one of them was bigger than the team that they Played on.

It’s bigger than any one man, and I would show him this on the public stage if he so chose to take it there, hahaha

It would be one of the worst professional decisions of his career?

I do not believe that a Playing peer can be a captain.

One, he’s too close to the Players to make the hard objective decisions that have to be made and secondly, he does not have the thoughts and wisdom that come from being removed from the game, say 5-10 years, that become an asset in this type of situation.

I know Jim and think the world of him. He’s easily one of the 2-3 Classiest guys on Tour.

I just wouldn’t have chosen him as a Captain at this time.

I hope that you’re well and Hats off Bro, your countrymen laid it on em big time!!

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Almost 24M in the States and a little over 4M in Europe.

http://www.gegf.eu/w...Report-2017.pdf

The team if it was just GB & I for example -

Rose

Mcilroy

Casey

Fleetwood

Hatton

Poulter

Fitzpatrick

Pepperell

Wallace

Knox

Fisher

Wood

Not a bad team who would give it a good go i reckon, would probably lose though

Dunne and Lowry for a couple of those thanks.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I would sit down with him one on one, in a room and tell him that I'm going with Tiger and Keegan.

Hmmm.... and yet Tiger went 0-4-0 this year and 0-7-1 in his last two cups. So how would that have been a good choice?

And not one comment about his little buddy Patrick Reed either. Curious.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

9 1/2 points to 2 points for Thomas's captain's picks vs Jim's

THIS is the most astute and critical post/point in this thread!!!

They should just appoint the shadow Captain the Captain now and let him keep it till either his emthusiasm runs out or he wins one, lol.

I might live long enough to see the former however I'll be dead and buried waiting for the latter, lol

Please don't make the mistake of thinking that the guy that's everyone's bud is the equivalent of being a Leader.

The latter has nothing to do with the former

Cept on the US RC team

And we see how that works out??

Bros, they didn't just get beat, they got HUMILIATED!!!

Captains' Picks Points:

Europe.....9 1/2

US............2

Fairways(Unless you're a US Cupper) & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

OK, true enough. If you had been the captain, who would you have picked?

obvo kisner and kuchar.... over tiger woods and phil..... not a chance in 25 lifetimes that would ever happen assuming tiger and phil are ranked higher than them in OWGR.....

Excellent choices and One would be my choice if I were going to leave both Icons off of the team.

I know, I know, I’ve chirped amongst the loudest about the tail not waggin the dog, the inmates not running the asylum, yada yada yada, however this event being under the microscope that it is under, and I must say that his Play through the Summer and the PGA Championship, culminating in his victory, made Tiger the easy choice here.

Unfortunately, Phil is like a cancer, though apparently a necessary one at that, as he has made himself indispensable, from being on the friggin committee, to his rapport with the younger guys, ya gotta deal with him.

I would sit down with him one on one, in a room and tell him that I’m going with Tiger and Keegan.

Tiger, due to the above stated reasoning and Keegan, because one, he’s a fairway finder and this course places a premium on hitting those fairways, as we have seen, and secondly, he has solid successful Ryder Cup experience and his Mentor, Phil, taught him well and he will be a true asset on the course and in the locker room.

I would then make Phil one of my Asst. Captains.

I am a strong believer in the ole cliche about keeping your friends close though your enemies closer, and my telling Phil that he’s off the team just put me in the latter category with him, lol

So, that would be my team?

And one thing that this debacle did was make it extremely easy for future captains~

Tiger and Phil have used up their goodwill Captain’s picks and will have to qualify!!

That in itsef is almost worth the humiliation that they experienced this past weekend, hahaha

Almost!!!

My strategy with the team that went to France??

That’s another post, hahaha

Cheers?

RP

As always, you've hit the nail on the head with regards Phil. I touched on it in another thread, irrespective of what Furyk did or didn't do, the atmosphere in the team room etc. who in American golf has the balls to say "No" to Phil?

It might be easier for the next guy if his form continues to plummet but Phil just seems to permeate the whole infrastructure, regardless of whether he is good or bad for it.

I would sit down with him one on one, in a room and tell him that I'm going with Tiger and Keegan.

Hmmm.... and yet Tiger went 0-4-0 this year and 0-7-1 in his last two cups. So how would that have been a good choice?

He has been playing very as of recently(prior to RC), does that count for nothing?

What was everyones fav match?

Had to say that JT vs Rory match was awesome minus the absolute collapse of rory on 18...

Brooks vs Casey was solid too.

Also MVP has to me F Molinari??

yes

yes

yes

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

The fact that I chose his Protege and then offered him an Asst. Captaincy sort of ties his hands as far as lashing out at me because by doing so, he looks like a bigger entitled self-centered arsehole than we know him to be��

As long as it was behind closed dooors, I'd be fine with it.

If he took it into the public domain, via social media, the press or others, I would own his arse, hahaha.

It would be the biggest mistake that he could make, though I would enjoy it immensely Mattie��

After spending 17+ years in a locker room, I have lived by the immutable law that what's said in the locker room stays in the locker room.

If and when someone breaks that law, the gloves come off, there are no rules, other than to speak articulately and I would own his arse, and it would not be me against Phil, as he would win that and own me.

It would be framed Phil against his teammates, his fellow committee men and all of the Ryder Cuppers that have come before him and who's legacies he and the other team members are responsible for carrying on, protecting and enhancing.

This is a TEAM event, not a ME event, eve in if you are an Icon~

So was Jack

So was Tom Watson

So was Raymond

So was Sam

So was Mr. Palmer

So was Ben

So was Sir Walter

It's bigger than any one man, and I would show him this on the public stage if he so chose to take it there, hahaha

It would be one of the worst professional decisions of his career��

I do not believe that a Playing peer can be a captain.

One, he's too close to the Players to make the hard objective decisions that have to be made and secondly, he does not have the thoughts and wisdom that come from being removed from the game, say 5-10 years, that become an asset in this type of situation.

I know Jim and think the world of him. He's easily one of the 2-3 Classiest guys on Tour.

I just wouldn't have chosen him as a Captain at this time.

I hope that you're well and Hats off Bro, your countrymen laid it on em big time!!

Cheers��ve

RP

Something was not right with Tiger, he was either exhausted, under the weather or a little of both. I wish Furyk would have had the balls to rest him day one, play Tony more, play Reed more, those guys wanted to play. You are right, Phil is cancer on the team, he should not have been there, but Furyk is too close to these guys as a peer to make those decisions.

Phil, Tiger and Jim have a career RC record of 41/63/14 .......with Phil having 18 of those wins.......it's time for some new blood and a new attitude. Tiger and Phil have lost more matches than anyone in Ryder Cup history. Furyk and Tiger are arguably the worst players in the history of the Ryder Cup.

https://www.cbssport...er-cup-history/

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

There is a team event on the pga tour schedule now..the Zurich classic. There wasn’t a single usa Ryder cup members team..not one. At least the European side has 1 with Henrik and Justin. Maybe there is some sort of unwritten stipulations that restricted some “super” teams from being created otherwise if I really cared, I would have used this event as practice for the Ryder cup.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck..it’s a duck. I won’t say they don’t want to win. I’d say they want to win but only without any additional effort being required. If they can show up

without any preparation and win great.