2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Nippon Modus3 120 vs Project X LZ 6.0

BirdieBirdieX

Anyone want to offer some insight between these two shafts? Currently game the 716 AP2 w/ Modus3 120 stiff but thinking about a change. I have the LZ's in my wedges and I really like them but want to gather some feedback before buying a set of shafts.

Handicap goes between 1 and 4 depending on the time of year, decent swing speed but always played stiff in my irons (X's in my woods). 6 iron carry roughly 185 maxed out, comfortable at 180. High launch player too.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 (8*) w/ AD-DI 6x

Titleist TSi3 (15*) w/ AD-DI 8x

Titleist TSR3 (19*) w/ AD-DI Hybird 85x 

Titleist TS3 (21*) w/ AD-DI Hybrid 85x

T100S 5-PW w/ PX LZ 6.0 Blackout

Titleist Vokey Wedgeworks 50F-54D-60T w/ TT DG S400

Odyssey Versa Seven Counterbalance w/ 17" SS 1.0P

Anyone want to offer some insight between these two shafts? Currently game the 716 AP2 w/ Modus3 120 stiff but thinking about a change. I have the LZ's in my wedges and I really like them but want to gather some feedback before buying a set of shafts.

Handicap goes between 1 and 4 depending on the time of year, decent swing speed but always played stiff in my irons (X's in my woods). 6 iron carry roughly 185 maxed out, comfortable at 180. High launch player too.

Thanks for the help.

If you already have a high launch and the modus' are not too high for you then the LZ would be a smooth transition for you. I've had both and currently game the LZ, to me I can feel the clubhead a lot better through the ball and dont have the balloon issues I had with the Nippons in my i210's. The LZ is the best feeling all around smooth shaft I've played in irons before

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I have the same set up as you with the AP2's; just recently reshafted to the Modus 120S and was looking for the LZ's as well. It was easier finding Modus 120 shaft pulls reasonably priced than the LZ's. The LZ was mostly available new and shaft pulls were hard to find.

I personally found the LZ to be very similar with the Modus 120's on the monitor. Main difference was that I got a bit less spin on the LZ's; peak height, landing angle, launch, ballspeed and distance were the same. Otherwise they're a smoother but similar feel to standard PX.

tried both during p790 fitting. pretty similar to the point i was told to go with what felt the best. Liked the feel of the LZ's so went with that. High launch/ high spin normally, and after some use, I really like the trajectory of the LZ's in the P790s. I'd say right now things are looking mid launch/ mid spin which is perfectly fine for what I want out of my irons. no issues holding greens whatsoever, although i dont play where the greens are super firm. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but am currently a big fan of the LZs. Playing 6.0's and was previously using C-Tapers.

Had them both in ap2's, Modus 120x feels like the project x lz 6.5 softstepped once. The only problem with the modus 120 was that the handle felt too soft and I couldn't feel exactly where the club head was. The lz fixed that problem. Best shaft I have ever hit and I have tried a bunch.

• Like 1

G400 Lst 8.5, Tour AD TP 6X, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 Tour Ad TP 6X, Aldila Rogue 125 msi 60X
Tour Edge CBX 3 woods, Atmos Blue TS 7X, Kai'li 70X, Diamana BF70X
Tour Edge CBX 5 woods, Kai'li 80X, Diamana BF70X
718 Ap2's, Project X LZ 6.5 ssx1
Vokey SM6 wedges w/ s400
Odyssey #7 putter.
1 bad a** yamaha drive golf cart on 14's.

which Lz's do you have in your wedges? I'm thinking of switching from s400 to either px lz 6.5 8 iron shafts or px lz 6.0 wedge shafts.

G400 Lst 8.5, Tour AD TP 6X, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 Tour Ad TP 6X, Aldila Rogue 125 msi 60X
Tour Edge CBX 3 woods, Atmos Blue TS 7X, Kai'li 70X, Diamana BF70X
Tour Edge CBX 5 woods, Kai'li 80X, Diamana BF70X
718 Ap2's, Project X LZ 6.5 ssx1
Vokey SM6 wedges w/ s400
Odyssey #7 putter.
1 bad a** yamaha drive golf cart on 14's.

Love the Modus 120. Very accurate and feels great. Henrik Stenson plays the 120 in X flex and he loads the shaft hard. I don’t think it actually plays soft to flex, it just has great feel. Not boardy at all.

Do not care for the LZ lineup. I am not as accurate with it and it feels kind of strange to me. A bit whippy in fhe middle of the shaft. I love the Project X Rifle 5.5 shafts but the LZ is totally different and didn’t work for me nearly as well as the Modus 120. I get a very tight dispersion with it. I hit a 6 iron about the same distance as the OP, in the 88 mph range in clubhead speed.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I have AP2 with 120 Stiff at D2 and can't feel the clubhead as well as I would like. Compared to a partial set of MBs I have with DG AMT, the AP2/120 combo feel like dog squeeze from a dynamic perspective (ie, the take-away and transition). I do like the impact sensation of them however and do achieve consistent results.

I've demo'd LZ quite a few times based on the rave reviews of many folks. The dynamic feel is okay but I struggle with consistent impact. Moreover, I find the standard PX not only work better for me, the also feel better to me as well.

Bottom line - there is no substitute to trying them out your self.

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

The Modus 120 doesn't not play soft to flex ! There are several threads addressing this misnomer. The cats on the pga tour are mutants! They swing golf clubs at super human speeds ! henrick stenson is 6'4 and has a much higher club head speed then any of the guys on this thread and he's playing a X flex . Play whatever shaft you like and can get a decent deal on . Lastly a lot of us think we hit some shafts or clubs higher than we should and that is false a lot of times . I was guilty of that too high lie myself. Go watch a Tour pro hit a ball or go to YouTube and watch any protracer pga tour video you want and you will see the majority of these pga cats are hitting rockets ! In closing Modus 120 great shaft in whatever flex stiff -TX softstepped or hardstepped . Project X LZ or standard are great shafts with cool stickers I would use caution playing anything above 6.5 . Good luck !!

• Like 3

The Modus 120 doesn't not play soft to flex ! There are several threads addressing this misnomer. The cats on the pga tour are mutants! They swing golf clubs at super human speeds ! henrick stenson is 6'4 and has a much higher club head speed then any of the guys on this thread and he's playing a X flex . Play whatever shaft you like and can get a decent deal on . Lastly a lot of us think we hit some shafts or clubs higher than we should and that is false a lot of times . I was guilty of that too high lie myself. Go watch a Tour pro hit a ball or go to YouTube and watch any protracer pga tour video you want and you will see the majority of these pga cats are hitting rockets ! In closing Modus 120 great shaft in whatever flex stiff -TX softstepped or hardstepped . Project X LZ or standard are great shafts with cool stickers I would use caution playing anything above 6.5 . Good luck !!

Are you high?

• Haha 1

For those of you playing the LX, are they as harsh as the regular Project X? I had PX 5.5's in some AP2's and for the first time ever I got golfers elbow. I have switched to the Ping AWT Shaft Regular Flex hard stepped once in some i200's. I find I hit them pretty high and I am sure I am losing some distance. I would like to try the LX, but I don't want the same elbow issues.

Thanks in advance.

TPG

Cobra LTDx 10* UST Helium Nanocore 5F3
Cobra LTDx 18.5* UST Helium nanocore 5F3
PXG 0311XF Gen5 19* Hybrid Project X Cypher 5.5
PXG 0311 P Gen5 4-PW True Temper Elevate MP 95G S
RTX-3 50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Scotty Cameron 009 A012056

which Lz's do you have in your wedges? I'm thinking of switching from s400 to either px lz 6.5 8 iron shafts or px lz 6.0 wedge shafts.

I have the LX 6.0 in my wedges. I was looking for something a little lighter than the stock S300 and this did the trick.

I played PX 5.5's in a set of X Forged 18's and ended up with tennis elbow. The PX LZ are much softer in feel in comparison to the standard PX.

I agree with this as well. The LZ is WAYYYY less harsh than the other PX offerings.

The only thing I don't like about the Modus3 120 is the ballooning sometimes. I have a hard time feeling the middle of the shaft load when trying to flight the ball. I appreciate everyone's response!

I came from PC6.0 SS1x in my JPX 900F irons and they were perfect for my swing. With my TM P790 I wanted a little more spin per Iron on the LM, so I tested the Modus 120S. They were smooth but the spin numbers were lower and apex/decent angle was lower than the LZ. Not optimal. Then I tried the Modus 130S and nirvana. Smooth, higher spin, higher apex and decent angle was improved, not to mention a half club longer carry than my previous 900F.

On my S18 wedges however the 130S was way too spiny. So I thought let’s try the Modus 120S straight in. Perfection! Never had such a dialed in wedge attack than present. Knock down, flighted, full swing, flop, just consistency.

In the end, other than the difference in weight which didn’t really bother me at all, my LZ set up seemed very similiar on the range and LM bay to the Modus 130. All of the above felt smooth as butter and it’s really the head that had me search other shafts. The LZ was a substantial upcharge on the P790’s. In the end very happy and didn’t have to “learn” much with this update.

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

Unless a really butt/middle soft bend profile is "normal" to you, the Modus 120 will play softer than most every other "tour" shaft. So I disagree that it plays "true to flex" in a relative sense. Don't be afraid to go up in flex and see how it plays.

The 120 'S' flex has nearly the same bend profile as a Dynamic Gold 'R' flex

• Thanks 1

I played PX 5.5's in a set of X Forged 18's and ended up with tennis elbow. The PX LZ are much softer in feel in comparison to the standard PX.

Hate to ask another question, but did you go to the 5.5 in the LX too? I really want to change these Ping shafts out.

Thanks

Cobra LTDx 10* UST Helium Nanocore 5F3
Cobra LTDx 18.5* UST Helium nanocore 5F3
PXG 0311XF Gen5 19* Hybrid Project X Cypher 5.5
PXG 0311 P Gen5 4-PW True Temper Elevate MP 95G S
RTX-3 50 bent to 51, 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
Scotty Cameron 009 A012056

It’s also a misnomer that tour pros swing faster than everyone who isn’t a tour pro.. many tour pros do swing faster, a lot of them don’t, but they do swing better..

Nippons FEEL weak to flex, and they do play a little weaker than a lot of other shafts out there too.

I do agree that often times people are hitting the ball too high because of a swing flaw vs equipment, but if you have the ability to launch the ball high, and you’re playing a shaft that makes it difficult to keep below ~ 100’ when you want, or are getting demolished by the wind, then you may in-fact benefit from something else.

• Like 1

Last yr I had mp54 with the LZs and this year I have 790s with modus 120. The LZ's had a much more pronounced kick to them and I think that the tip section is a little bit less stiff than modus. Modus I think is maybe a touch lighter, too?

Also the whole notion of playing weak to flex is silly. There is no universal standard of flex in the industry. How do we know something like rifle PX isn't just more stiff to flex and modus is "normal"??

According to the Ei profile I found, LZ and rifle both have very similar tip stiffnesses, but the LZ has a much lower stiffness in the mid and butt. According to the same website, 6.0 LZ actually has a less stiff mid section than 5.0 rifle.

Overall, I prefer modus 120. It's smooth without feeling sloppy, which I feel like LZ kind of was.

Hate to ask another question, but did you go to the 5.5 in the LX too? I really want to change these Ping shafts out.

Thanks

I had put in Modus 120S in my 716 AP2's. But I did test out the LZ 5.5 and 6.0 side by side on a launch monitor against the Modus. There wasn't a difference in numbers between the two LZ flexes for me, it was only feel. So if LZ was my shaft choice, I'd pick 5.5 because it felt softer. I'm more of swinger that takes shallow divots than a hitter.

To another poster's point, I can see how the Modus 120 can balloon. I found it easy to flight down off the deck but off the tee can be a problem.

Unless a really butt/middle soft bend profile is "normal" to you, the Modus 120 will play softer than most every other "tour" shaft. So I disagree that it plays "true to flex" in a relative sense. Don't be afraid to go up in flex and see how it plays.

The 120 'S' flex has nearly the same bend profile as a Dynamic Gold 'R' flex

This is the best description and advice in this entire thread.

Yes, the Modus 120 flexes out almost exactly like a Dynamic Gold R300 (throughout measurement of the butt/middle/tip).

From a shaft profile perspective, they are almost identical.

The DG R300 might 'feel' like it plays more stout than the Modus 120 b/c of the weight and heft.

Also the whole notion of playing weak to flex is silly. There is no universal standard of flex in the industry. How do we know something like rifle PX isn't just more stiff to flex and modus is "normal"??

Those EI profiles and Wishon CPM charts at different shaft points give us much more information to compare shafts against each other as baselines (especially Wishon).

The stiff/weak to flex is in relation to, and comparison with, other shafts that have a S or X stamped on the side.

It's not a comparison to an industry standardized number.

Those EI profiles and Wishon CPM charts at different give us much more information to compare shafts against each other as baselines (especially Wishon).

The stiff/weak to flex is in relation to, and comparison with, other shafts that have a S or X stamped on the side.

But the OEMs are labeling them, so... they are telling us what THEY think is S or X based on how they are measuring. Like mentioned above, a "R"300 is about the same stiffness as S 120 modus. However, a modus 120TX is massively more stiff than S300 in the tip and butt section. So who is right? The right way to do it would be to EI out every shaft available then find the median & average at each clamp point for each flex. That would then give a true point to compare flexes to one another and establish an average R flex, S flex, and X Flex curves.

But ain't nobody got time for dat!!! Just get the right weight shaft for your tempo, and then mess around with different shafts and play what feels right. Who cares what plays soft or stiff compared to something else.

Those EI profiles and Wishon CPM charts at different give us much more information to compare shafts against each other as baselines (especially Wishon).

However, a modus 120TX is massively more stiff than S300 in the tip and butt section. So who is right?

I don't disagree with you relative to people picking up a club and trying it for themselves.

People (not all people) generally associate a Stiff flex shaft to a S300 b/c it was the stock stiff shaft in so many iron sets for decades.

Also, the 120TX =/= 120X (TX = Tour X)...or...stronger than a 120X...and should be stronger than a Stiff flex shaft.