Callaway epic flash? is this legit? (New Pics added Pg 1)

kjrules

Can anyone provide the weight amount for the sliding track weight and the sub zero front weight? Thanks in advance

Stock front weight is 2, stock sliding weight is 12.

I wonder if the sliding weight on the SZ is a different amount than the Standard? On my Standard Flash my rear sliding weight is 16g. That includes the screw and the base that the weight sits on.

I included the weight of the total sliding assembly in the figure above..12 g includes screw and base. Looks about right compared to the 16 g of the regular Flash in the photo above. And our staff heads included another 20 g heavier weight for short shaft lengths which is even bigger than those two.

does your last sentence mean youre on staff with callaway where you work? If so do you know PAR date for erc soft?

This Week.

So, I just got the EFSZ again tonight. I don't know what it is. But, I am not finding this any louder than anything else I've hit in recent memory. In fact, my playing partner, who didn't know I got a new driver, kept commenting on how solid it sounded. Now, this is indoors, where in my experience, things tend to sound worse

On a side note. I carried the ball further tonight in our simulator than I ever have. Since it's not a true LM, I can't say for 100% certainty what they numbers were. But, apples to apples, the EFSZ, was quite a bit longer for me than the Epic with the same shaft.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

So, I just got the EFSZ again tonight. I don't know what it is. But, I am not finding this any longer than anything else I've got in recent memory. In fact, my pleasing partner, who didn't know I got a new driver, kept commenting on how solid the hours sounded. Now, this is indoors, where in my experience, things tend to sound worse

On a side note. I be carried the ball further tonight in our simulator than I ever have. Since it's not a true LM, I can't say for 100% certainty what they numbers were. But, apples to apples, the EFSZ, was quite a bit longer for me than the Epic with the same shaft.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Mine came tonight. First, I ordered a 6.5 Smoke and received a 6.0 Smoke... however, I ordered it at 44.5" and it came exactly that. Swing weight, I had to put in a 7gm to get it to the same SW as my current Epic/ATMOS driver. Mulling whether to return it since I specified 6.5...but my intention was to use the ATMOS anyway with the head....hmmmmh....but I don't want to wait and wait and wait... *sigh*

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

So, I just got the EFSZ again tonight. I don't know what it is. But, I am not finding this any longer than anything else I've got in recent memory. In fact, my pleasing partner, who didn't know I got a new driver, kept commenting on how solid the hours sounded. Now, this is indoors, where in my experience, things tend to sound worse

On a side note. I be carried the ball further tonight in our simulator than I ever have. Since it's not a true LM, I can't say for 100% certainty what they numbers were. But, apples to apples, the EFSZ, was quite a bit longer for me than the Epic with the same shaft.

Lol, a mixture of swipe typing and auto correct :)

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Lol, a mixture of swipe typing and auto correct :)

All fixed up. On a side note, they run some pretty good drink specials during league night ?

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Mine came tonight. First, I ordered a 6.5 Smoke and received a 6.0 Smoke... however, I ordered it at 44.5" and it came exactly that. Swing weight, I had to put in a 7gm to get it to the same SW as my current Epic/ATMOS driver. Mulling whether to return it since I specified 6.5...but my intention was to use the ATMOS anyway with the head....hmmmmh....but I don't want to wait and wait and wait... *sigh*

I bet if you called them you could return the shaft and keep the head. That way you can use it while waiting for the new shaft

So, I just got the EFSZ again tonight. I don't know what it is. But, I am not finding this any louder than anything else I've hit in recent memory. In fact, my playing partner, who didn't know I got a new driver, kept commenting on how solid it sounded. Now, this is indoors, where in my experience, things tend to sound worse

On a side note. I carried the ball further tonight in our simulator than I ever have. Since it's not a true LM, I can't say for 100% certainty what they numbers were. But, apples to apples, the EFSZ, was quite a bit longer for me than the Epic with the same shaft.

I will say that, since the official launch has occurred, I have heard Flash SZ heads (same model as mine) in the hands of some players on my course that aren't anywhere as loud as mine that was received end of Nov/beginning Dec 2018, and the one that I and many of my customers have said is way too loud to play. The online reviewers that have complained about the sound also received their review models around the same time as ours/staff accounts received theirs. I am now wondering if there is indeed some type of manufacturing variances causing the loud sounding units and it's just luck of the draw, or if there is something that has been done to quiet some after the reports of the loud sound came out.

I will say that, since the official launch has occurred, I have heard Flash SZ heads (same model as mine) in the hands of some players on my course that aren't anywhere as loud as mine that was received end of Nov/beginning Dec 2018, and the one that I and many of my customers have said is way too loud to play. The online reviewers that have complained about the sound also received their review models around the same time as ours/staff accounts received theirs. I am now wondering if there is indeed some type of manufacturing variances causing the loud sounding units and it's just luck of the draw, or if there is something that has been done to quiet some after the reports of the loud sound came out.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made a last minute change to mute the sound a bit. Pretty much every early review made a comment on the sound. And, in some of them, it was obviously loud. Rick Shiels' review stands out to me. It sounded crazy loud when he hit it. I actually like it as is now. Sounds better than the Rogue to me so far. Not as muted as the OG Epic. But, feels livelier.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I have hit three different epic flash subzero heads, and I found that one of them was a more muted, solid sound, while the other two sounded like an aluminum bat. I believe you are correct in your thinking. That is the conclusion I have came to as well.

I was fit for my regular Flash a couple of weeks ago and received it this last Friday. I had a chance to play two rounds with it over the weekend and here are my findings.

I did not notice any issue with the sound of it. It did not have that loud aluminum baseball bat sound at all. It was more of dull thud than anything.

The feeling off the face is incredible. I had a hard time locating the miss hits on the face. Usually if I miss hit I know exactly where I missed it at but not with this one.

I normally play a draw but with this driver the ball flight is dead arrow straight. If I do see a draw it is only a yard maybe two at most.

It was hard to judge any distance change because our course is so dry they closed my regular tee boxes. I had to move back to the big boy tees. In some cases my drives were at the same location I would have normally hit to.

I am a low ball hitter so I was fit into a 12* head and I absolutely love the ball flight. It gets up in the air where I really like to see it.

I have the Tensei 65g stiff shaft at an inch short at 44.5"

Sliding weight: 16g

Total head weight: 192g

Swing weight: D2 (I did this measurement myself the poor mans way. Tape measure, scale and swing weight calculator)

My club head speed is 102.

I left all settings on the hosel and sliding weight at neutral.

I absolutely love this driver. My previous driver was the original Epic.

I have hit three different epic flash subzero heads, and I found that one of them was a more muted, solid sound, while the other two sounded like an aluminum bat. I believe you are correct in your thinking. That is the conclusion I have came to as well.

I was fit for my regular Flash a couple of weeks ago and received it this last Friday. I had a chance to play two rounds with it over the weekend and here are my findings.

I did not notice any issue with the sound of it. It did not have that loud aluminum baseball bat sound at all. It was more of dull thud than anything.

The feeling off the face is incredible. I had a hard time locating the miss hits on the face. Usually if I miss hit I know exactly where I missed it at but not with this one.

I normally play a draw but with this driver the ball flight is dead arrow straight. If I do see a draw it is only a yard maybe two at most.

It was hard to judge any distance change because our course is so dry they closed my regular tee boxes. I had to move back to the big boy tees. In some cases my drives were at the same location I would have normally hit to.

I am a low ball hitter so I was fit into a 12* head and I absolutely love the ball flight. It gets up in the air where I really like to see it.

I have the Tensei 65g stiff shaft at an inch short at 44.5"

Sliding weight: 16g

Total head weight: 192g

Swing weight: D2 (I did this measurement myself the poor mans way. Tape measure, scale and swing weight calculator)

My club head speed is 102.

I left all settings on the hosel and sliding weight at neutral.

I absolutely love this driver. My previous driver was the original Epic.

With the sound of the last one on course I heard this past weekend, and with what you guys are describing as solid thuds, there is definitely variability in the sound produced from the Flash heads. Mine, and many of the early online reviewers (and even some Tour pros on TV) definitely have the loud, hollow aluminum bat sound. That sound is unmistakable for anything even close to resembling a thud. If a change has been made, that's great.

With the sound of the last one on course I heard this past weekend, and with what you guys are describing as solid thuds, there is definitely variability in the sound produced from the Flash heads. Mine, and many of the early online reviewers (and even some Tour pros on TV) definitely have the loud, hollow aluminum bat sound. That sound is unmistakable for anything even close to resembling a thud. If a change has been made, that's great.

I hope that anyone who wrote the driver off based on early reports of loudness at least gives it a shot now. I am a fan. It sets up really well and feels pretty dang good. Won't see real world results here for a few more months unfortunately.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I caved and grabbed an F9 for a great deal, but have several shafts I can plug and play with the Flash. I will for sure be testing again this Spring.

Outside on the course is all that matters anyway.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I hope that anyone who wrote the driver off based on early reports of loudness at least gives it a shot now. I am a fan. It sets up really well and feels pretty dang good. Won't see real world results here for a few more months unfortunately.

They already lost one customer and potential order due to sound. I have been playing the Epic SZ for a couple years now. When I was getting fit at club champion I hit the Epic Flash SZ and it was so dang loud I literally had to put it down not to rupture an ear drum; couldn't hit it to even get some test numbers in to see if it might work.

I wish I had the more muted head when testing. But already ordered a PXG driver, so no bueno for Callaway. It definitely sounds like they added some insert to the clubhead to mute the sound down.

I don't think the heads are different now. People just gave a different perspective on sound. It was loud for me..on a sc as ll of 1 to 10 with a vapor flex 440 being a 1 and a ping g30 being a 10...I think it's a 7.5

I have most definitely heard a different sound between at least two different SZ heads (mine, and one of my golfers), as well as a poster above noting different sounds in 3 different SZ heads. There is either some variation in sound produced from head to head, or something has been done by Callaway to mute the sound. My head is almost 3 months old versus the ones shipped last week.

I don't think the heads are different now. People just gave a different perspective on sound. It was loud for me..on a sc as ll of 1 to 10 with a vapor flex 440 being a 1 and a ping g30 being a 10...I think it's a 7.5

I don't know. I hit it next to the M5 the other day. I didn't notice a huge difference in sound between the two. The EF just seemed a bit more metallic sounding but not really any louder. That would seem to contradict what many on here were describing. Unless they were exaggerating, but I don't believe that to be the case. Mine sounds nothing like the test head Rick Shiels hit for example. I even had my playing partner try it so I could get an idea how it sounded from a few feet away.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Same here...older head....maybe I haven't come across a newer head...but you would think someone would have leaked a change in sound fix....or maybe not..wish I had a newer head then...

I think OEM's are very hesitant to publicly announce any potential short comings they may find. Add to that, Callaway has been very guarded on any info coming out. They want to control the story behind the club. If it is indeed a change to the head to address perceived shortcomings, then kudos to them for addressing it based on customer feedback. If I ended up on the good side of acoustic variance from head to head, I can live with that.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I don't know. I hit it next to the M5 the other day. I didn't notice a huge difference in sound between the two. The EF just seemed a bit more metallic sounding but not really any louder. That would seem to contradict what many on here were describing. Unless they were exaggerating, but I don't believe that to be the case. Mine sounds nothing like the test head Rick Shiels hit for example. I even had my playing partner try it so I could get an idea how it sounded from a few feet away.

I have not hit the m5 yet...but I saw someone else hitting it. It sounded much better then my sz...I mean it wasn't even close..as others have said...maybe something has been done...but callaway staffers would have been asked if they wanted the newer head instead of the older one?

Same here...older head....maybe I haven't come across a newer head...but you would think someone would have leaked a change in sound fix....or maybe not..wish I had a newer head then...

I think OEM's are very hesitant to publicly announce any potential short comings they may find. Add to that, Callaway has been very guarded on any info coming out. They want to control the story behind the club. If it is indeed a change to the head to address perceived shortcomings, then kudos to them for addressing it based on customer feedback. If I ended up on the good side of acoustic variance from head to head, I can live with that.

Agree...but I wish they would have done it as sooner... if they indeed have developed a fix...I feel like I turned off some buyers by playing this thing. Good numbers...terrible sound they said

I bet if you called them you could return the shaft and keep the head. That way you can use it while waiting for the new shaft

FWIW, I had something similar happen when I originally ordered my Epic SZ -- they shipped it with Aldila Rogue I/O instead of the Rogue Silver I ordered -- and I had to return the whole club. They shipped a new one to me, which arrived in a matter of a few days or so. They said I could hit the one they shipped me originally while I waited for the new one. They shipped it with a prepaid shipping label, so I just returned the incorrect one once the correct one arrived. So, unless something has changed with their policies, he'll probably have to return the whole club.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

They already lost one customer and potential order due to sound. I have been playing the Epic SZ for a couple years now. When I was getting fit at club champion I hit the Epic Flash SZ and it was so dang loud I literally had to put it down not to rupture an ear drum; couldn't hit it to even get some test numbers in to see if it might work.

I wish I had the more muted head when testing. But already ordered a PXG driver, so no bueno for Callaway. It definitely sounds like they added some insert to the clubhead to mute the sound down.

I need to see the decibel meter readings...burst an eardrum? That must be really loud as a burst sound would need 180 decibels to burst one...maybe going for that Howitzer sound?

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

Agree...but I wish they would have done it as sooner... if they indeed have developed a fix...I feel like I turned off some buyers by playing this thing. Good numbers...terrible sound they said

The sound from my driver most definitely turned some buyers off. Told me such to my face, as I allowed many of my most avid customers to hit/play rounds with mine way before release date. Only one said he liked the sound, all others mentioned it as a negative to some degree. It's why chose not to stock the Flash this year. So it is potentially off putting, and the sound (at least of some/mine/older heads ?) is not something that could ever be described as a "thud" or "solid". Seeing these words used with some personal reviews on here has puzzled me until I heard the first one on course last week.

The sound from my driver most definitely turned some buyers off. Told me such to my face, as I allowed many of my most avid customers to hit/play rounds with mine way before release date. Only one said he liked the sound, all others mentioned it as a negative to some degree. It's why chose not to stock the Flash this year. So it is potentially off putting, and the sound (at least of some/mine/older heads ?) is not something that could ever be described as a "thud" or "solid". Seeing these words used with some personal reviews on here has puzzled me until I heard the first one on course last week.

Well..I don't feel so be bad then...because I thought I was crazy when I heard the same buzzwords as a "thud"and "solid" describing the same driver..I literally could not believe it. Maybe a PXG driver this year

I have a few questions.

Did the sound they didn't like override the numbers ? Or was is just 1 of many reasons ? i.e. did the sound make the difference ?

And, am I reading that right ? You're not stocking the EF because of the sound ? What kind of shop are your working at/own ? How can you not stock the current Callaway driver ?

Or does that simply mean you'll have the demos but just won't keep any "in stock" for immediate purchase ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X