Callaway epic flash? is this legit? (New Pics added Pg 1)

kjrules

Man, the custom color pricing is a pretty impressive racket for them. A $70 upcharge to get different paint on a couple small areas on the sole and outer edge of the crown (and the jailbreak bars) seems pretty steep. I have no problem with the colors, so it's not an issue for me (and I don't know that I'm going to get one in the first place), but wow, that's really something.

I would think the normal process is automated so it's very possible(?) the custom colors are painted by hand, no ?

If so, that might explain a good bit of the price - it's surely not the cost of the paint.

Don't most custom paint jobs cost around $100 ?

I would doubt it's sprayed by hand, but more likely a dedicated spray center where someone comes and switches the colors on a lot by lot basis. Still more human intervention for sure. Continental charges $60 for one color, $70 for two. I have the standard on order, might send it to them!

Pretty sweet leather Custom Classic headcover

Let's see the finished product! What colors did you go with?

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Pretty sweet leather Custom Classic headcover

That cover is worth the $100 paint job.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Played with the course pro tonight during my daughters lesson. He had the flash in his bag and was pretty exited about it. He offered me a swing wirh it on #4 so i accepted. 9 degree and neutral, same as my f7+ so I jumped at the chance.

Felt light. Looked prefect at adress. I hit it dead solid middle and saw the biggest ugliest slice i have seen in 20 years..

That said, im sure i could get used to it and play it well. I liked the sound and how it felt at adress. Well balanced.

In fainess i have also hit the F9 on a SIM and hit big deep hooky hooks. My miss is left anyway.

My one swing review of the flash? Hit it like crap but i liked it. Staying with the F7#.

Played with the course pro tonight during my daughters lesson. He had the flash in his bag and was pretty exited about it. He offered me a swing wirh it on #4 so i accepted. 9 degree and neutral, same as my f7+ so I jumped at the chance.

Felt light. Looked prefect at adress. I hit it dead solid middle and saw the biggest ugliest slice i have seen in 20 years..

That said, im sure i could get used to it and play it well. I liked the sound and how it felt at adress. Well balanced.

In fainess i have also hit the F9 on a SIM and hit big deep hooky hooks. My miss is left anyway.

My one swing review of the flash? Hit it like crap but i liked it. Staying with the F7#.

I hit F9 on sim on separate occasions and both times it was a hook machine, even with heavy weight forward and anti-left kiyoshi black shaft.

I only got 3 Epic Flash SZ swings in on sim. it was so loud indoors it hurt my ears.

I got 1 Epic 10.5* swing in on course. Put my GP6-x into it and hit one straight down the middle. Same aluminum bat sound, but tolerable outdoors. Unfortunately it went straight up into the air, super high flight. Put it away as I really need the SZ at 9* or less.

Not usually a callaway driver fan (the fairways are a different story, but the Flash SZ looks amazing at address. The different diamond heads are a tough one for us gear junkies though - at least for me it’s difficult to justify the price when I know those heads exist. I think tech or advancements in tech that are apparent and visible are the real needle movers, so with something like the AI face as the signature feature this year, it’s a tough sell for the price. I don’t doubt the Flash series is just as good as anything else out there, it just feels like one of those transitional years for Callaway.

Not usually a callaway driver fan (the fairways are a different story, but the Flash SZ looks amazing at address. The different diamond heads are a tough one for us gear junkies though - at least for me it's difficult to justify the price when I know those heads exist. I think tech or advancements in tech that are apparent and visible are the real needle movers, so with something like the AI face as the signature feature this year, it's a tough sell for the price. I don't doubt the Flash series is just as good as anything else out there, it just feels like one of those transitional years for Callaway.

Devils advocate here. is it easier to justify knowing that even if you could get your hands on one of those heads in the next 6 months it would cost you double and potentially show you nothing gained? Or at least likely not twice as good?

Not usually a callaway driver fan (the fairways are a different story, but the Flash SZ looks amazing at address. The different diamond heads are a tough one for us gear junkies though - at least for me it's difficult to justify the price when I know those heads exist. I think tech or advancements in tech that are apparent and visible are the real needle movers, so with something like the AI face as the signature feature this year, it's a tough sell for the price. I don't doubt the Flash series is just as good as anything else out there, it just feels like one of those transitional years for Callaway.

It is quite compact at address. Im very happy with the standard Flash at address. Really reminds me of the titleist 910 D2 vs D3 shape difference, but with some carbon flair.

Devils advocate here. is it easier to justify knowing that even if you could get your hands on one of those heads in the next 6 months it would cost you double and potentially show you nothing gained? Or at least likely not twice as good?

Haha absolutely, no arguments there. Ignorance is bliss in this case. No reservations with thinking that it would show a significant difference, but just speaking for myself, the fragmentation of products is just a turn-off for me this time around. Coupled with the lack of that killer, tangible new piece of tech (jailbreak for example), it just feels, again to me, like the yearly cycle for Callaway hurts them more so this year.

Haha absolutely, no arguments there. Ignorance is bliss in this case. No reservations with thinking that it would show a significant difference, but just speaking for myself, the fragmentation of products is just a turn-off for me this time around. Coupled with the lack of that killer, tangible new piece of tech (jailbreak for example), it just feels, again to me, like the yearly cycle for Callaway hurts them more so this year.

I find your view on this interesting. My opinion of it all is that finding a new and more efficient way of designing the face seems like a way more revolutionary technology than adding a couple bars to tie the crown to the sole. If anything I think the flash face advancement overshadows the jailbreak.

I find your view on this interesting. My opinion of it all is that finding a new and more efficient way of designing the face seems like a way more revolutionary technology than adding a couple bars to tie the crown to the sole. If anything I think the flash face advancement overshadows the jailbreak.

So spending some time at a local shop today, I didn’t hit the flash but it was there. Interesting discussion with the boys in there though. They felt the ball speeds were off the charts on the flash BUT they had problems elevating even the regular flash. Spin was too low but so was the launch. They weren’t sold that the new face tech was compelling as a result.

Can you explain what you mean by fragmentation of products?

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 Mizuno MMT 80X

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 4 Iron Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

Got fitted yesterday for a new driver on GC quad with my gamer balls and my PGA pro coach. I have not bought a new driver in 7 years since I bought my used demo Ping I25 for 200$! Every year I would take in my I25 and compare to the latest and greatest and the I25 would still beat them all... So I have been using it since.

But I have struggled mightily with dispersion and the dreaded hook left for the past two seasons. Each time I would talk to a fitter, they just wanted to force me into the company they knew best or represented. My current coach is certified by all the major manufactures to fit and has no bias so I was really excited.

Went in with no expectations but very curious about the Cobra F9 and Epic Flash SZ. Shocked by the results.

Swing speed 102-104

by far best results with the Epic Flash standard head, 9.0 degrees, Tensei AV blue 65g X flex (X-flex!?), with the weight moved over 3/4 to fade bias.

Missiles. Bullets. Dead straight and 300-310. Unbelievable confidence. I could step on it and it would not turn over left, only baby draws. I seriously think I could just swing free and hit the narrowest of fairways with this thing. Distance was 0.4 yds longer with S flex in multiple shafts but was missing lots left. I was also 2 yards longer with M5 but dispersion was all over place (ahem, hook left) no matter what setting or shaft. And the feeling at impact (very important to me) with the TM's seemed dead. Cobra felt really good but shorter than my ideal Flash setup by 9 yds and dispersion was a bit worse.

My swing speed for most charts is S flex, and my transition is fairly smooth. Because of these factors, I have never even considered x-flex with my swing, have always been S flex. I thought if anything in the Callaway kit I would be S flex Tensei or S flex HZRDS smoke. The Tensei X-flex was amazing though. Felt almost exactly the same as S-flex, not dead, not like a board, actually quite lively. It brought my flight and dispersion together incredibly.

I used to spin the driver over 3000 until last year. I have moved the ball forward in my stance last year and started teeing a bit higher, which has brought launch up and spin down. Now, my swing is such that the SZ head spins too little for me... I was surprised by this. In the end the SZ rolled out to 300, but the carry and launch were so much better with the standard head.

Anyway, get fit by a good pro. Takes a good couple of hours at least. Don't rush it. Keep an open mind.

The Flash feels amazing and really performs for my swing. Now to pick the colour scheme... I am thinking either all black, or all black with just red rails.

Can you explain what you mean by fragmentation of products?

Just that we are seeing 4, 5, 6 different Flash-model heads in use on tour and very few if any are the ones us regular joes get at retail. In past years there might be one or two tour-only versions that we knew about (the 440 epic sub zero for example, or the one-offs that Phil has been seen to use although I wouldn’t really count them). Again, not trying to say they’d be magically better, just that it feels a little disingenuous to me.

Got fitted yesterday for a new driver on GC quad with my gamer balls and my PGA pro coach. I have not bought a new driver in 7 years since I bought my used demo Ping I25 for 200$! Every year I would take in my I25 and compare to the latest and greatest and the I25 would still beat them all... So I have been using it since.

But I have struggled mightily with dispersion and the dreaded hook left for the past two seasons. Each time I would talk to a fitter, they just wanted to force me into the company they knew best or represented. My current coach is certified by all the major manufactures to fit and has no bias so I was really excited.

Went in with no expectations but very curious about the Cobra F9 and Epic Flash SZ. Shocked by the results.

Swing speed 102-104

by far best results with the Epic Flash standard head, 9.0 degrees, Tensei AV blue 65g X flex (X-flex!?), with the weight moved over 3/4 to fade bias.

Missiles. Bullets. Dead straight and 300-310. Unbelievable confidence. I could step on it and it would not turn over left, only baby draws. I seriously think I could just swing free and hit the narrowest of fairways with this thing. Distance was 0.4 yds longer with S flex in multiple shafts but was missing lots left. I was also 2 yards longer with M5 but dispersion was all over place (ahem, hook left) no matter what setting or shaft. And the feeling at impact (very important to me) with the TM's seemed dead. Cobra felt really good but shorter than my ideal Flash setup by 9 yds and dispersion was a bit worse.

My swing speed for most charts is S flex, and my transition is fairly smooth. Because of these factors, I have never even considered x-flex with my swing, have always been S flex. I thought if anything in the Callaway kit I would be S flex Tensei or S flex HZRDS smoke. The Tensei X-flex was amazing though. Felt almost exactly the same as S-flex, not dead, not like a board, actually quite lively. It brought my flight and dispersion together incredibly.

I used to spin the driver over 3000 until last year. I have moved the ball forward in my stance last year and started teeing a bit higher, which has brought launch up and spin down. Now, my swing is such that the SZ head spins too little for me... I was surprised by this. In the end the SZ rolled out to 300, but the carry and launch were so much better with the standard head.

Anyway, get fit by a good pro. Takes a good couple of hours at least. Don't rush it. Keep an open mind.

The Flash feels amazing and really performs for my swing. Now to pick the colour scheme... I am thinking either all black, or all black with just red rails.

My fitting was similar. My main goal was to eliminate the left side. With the right shaft the epic flash completely eliminated the left side but could still hit a baby push draw, miss was a little fall off fade.

Could really get after it and not worry about the dreaded snapper (this def was partially due to the shaft). I think the flash and flash SZ are much closer now in spin, the SZ was louder and had more foul balls so I'll take the extra forgiveness. I bought an original epic to play with while my EF was in transit. Pured shots are comparable but the EF definitely has a better miss.

Swing speed 102-104

I'm trying to decide between all black or red rails also.

I did not get fit for it yet. I hit the standard flash with the tensei av 65 stiff and it was incredibly straight once I made some minor adjustments. I didnt even think about the tensei blue av x flex.

The flash sz was a lot louder and all over the place. Had the oban devotion stiff in the sz. Was hitting the cobra 10.5 atmos black at the same time with the weight forward. The cobra seemed longer and more accurate. The miss with the sz was right, cobra was left.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

Swing speed 102-104

Sorry to rain on your parade, but there is no chance you are getting 300-310y consistently with a 102-104mph swing speed. That launch monitor is jacked up big time and I would question any results you get from it.

For reference I have been at club champion a couple times recently and on a trackman I am getting 110mph average swing speed and my longest driver (out of many dozens) was 308y (that was on a 112.3mph swing and really good launch conditions as confirmed by trackman optimizer that said with every number perfect it could have gotten to 314y at 112.3mph). Average drives were more in the 290 - 295y range.

And finally, all of my yardages are confirmed on the course in real world with laser rangefinder measurements.

Swing speed 102-104

Sorry to rain on your parade, but there is no chance you are getting 300-310y consistently with a 102-104mph swing speed. That launch monitor is jacked up big time and I would question any results you get from it.

For reference I have been at club champion a couple times recently and on a trackman I am getting 110mph average swing speed and my longest driver (out of many dozens) was 308y (that was on a 112.3mph swing and really good launch conditions as confirmed by trackman optimizer that said with every number perfect it could have gotten to 314y at 112.3mph). Average drives were more in the 290 - 295y range.

And finally, all of my yardages are confirmed on the course in real world with laser rangefinder measurements.

Was wondering when/if someone would bring that up.

I don't think (although it does sound like it) he meant 300 carry, which is impossible @ 104; at least around sea level

Then again you don't mention carry either and at 112 you're not carrying 308; at least not around sea level (Denver ? Maybe).

And finally, how to your determine carry with your laser rangefinder on the course ? Does your ball plug all the time ?

Heck, how do you measure any drive with the rangefinder ? I've tried it and there's seldom something back at the tee that I can definitively "shoot" to get the exact distance. Somewhat close ? I guess,,,,,,,,

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Swing speed 102-104

Was wondering when/if someone would bring that up.

I don't think (although it does sound like it) he meant 300 carry, which is impossible @ 104; at least around sea level

Then again you don't mention carry either and at 112 you're not carrying 308; at least not around sea level (Denver ? Maybe).

And finally, how to your determine carry with your laser rangefinder on the course ? Does your ball plug all the time ?

Heck, how do you measure any drive with the rangefinder ? I've tried it and there's seldom something back at the tee that I can definitively "shoot" to get the exact distance. Somewhat close ? I guess,,,,,,,,

My max carry was 288. Total 308. Avg. 276 carry, 292 total at 110mph.

Swing speed 102-104

Surprised it took someone this long to come in and tell the guy his numbers were wrong. Never fails on here

AI Smoke Max Ventus Velocore +
Callaway GBB Fuji 757 vi 

Cobra LTDX max 5w HZRDUS Blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58v PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

Swing speed 102-104

300+ total yds, not sure what the carry was, it depended on launch angle and spin for each strike. I would sometimes get ones that came out low, felt like crap, fell out of the sky, and then ran for miles for crap carry but a good total distance number, but obviously not what I would want in game play. Not sure what is used for the friction factor on the fairway. In reality it all depends on firmness of fairway and how short the grass is.

I guess for that matter, carry is the more important number in fitting. But some idea of rollout matters. 2 drives both with 280 carry will end totally different if there is a significant difference in spin or launch.

Nothing was "jacked up" I can try to get the printout that shows the avg carry, launch, spin, clubhead and ball speed etc if you want me to prove it, though I don't really feel like I need to prove anything to you. Just was excited to post my fitting experience and my new Flash romance. First time properly fit for a driver in 7 years.

So I have the printout, but I had to ask my coach because there are a couple of mistakes. He entered the head as 10.5 but its actually the 9.0 degree model. He also didn't have the shaft length correct. It was standard length.

297 distance on 102 SS

How do I post a PDF or clip of a screenshot into a post?

CH Speed: 102

Back Spin: 1966

Launch Angle: 16.00

Distance: 296.6 yds

Offline: -14.8 Left (This included swings before putting the weight over to the fade bias. This number was coming down with each swing with it on fade bias as they were generally missing left in neutral)

Descent Angle: 39.60