2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Any Wilson Staffers on the PGA playing the new $500 Cortex driver?

I’m getting good performance from it. Put a helium shaft in it and it’s doing every bit as good as my f8+ I got fit for in the cobra connect experience.

It looks great, sounds and feels good, and I’m enjoying playing it.

Of course it won’t be for everyone but I do think it’d be a shame for many to just look past it because it says Wilson on it.

People aren’t looking past it because it says Wilson on it. It’s more expensive than better drivers on the market. Plus new releases are out that will be better and some at the same price point.

It might help if the general public buy it if they had a pro playing it but their biggest name staffer who has incentives to play it still has a g400 in th bag

I’m getting good performance from it. Put a helium shaft in it and it’s doing every bit as good as my f8+ I got fit for in the cobra connect experience.

Of course it won’t be for everyone but I do think it’d be a shame for many to just look past it because it says Wilson on it.

People aren’t looking past it because it says Wilson on it. It’s more expensive than better drivers on the market. Plus new releases are out that will be better and some at the same price point.

It might help if the general public buy it if they had a pro playing it but their biggest name staffer who has incentives to play it still has a g400 in th bag

It’s as good or better than the so called “better” you’re referring to. It benched a Rogue that I finally sold, ag400 with a GD shaft also. I wouldn’t trade mine for 2 of anything TM currently has out or has coming out soon.... then again, that’s ME! Have a good evening sir.

It’s as good or better than the so called “better” you’re referring to. It benched a Rogue that I finally sold, ag400 with a GD shaft also. I wouldn’t trade mine for 2 of anything TM currently has out or has coming out soon.... then again, that’s ME! Have a good evening sir.

Just like any club it’s going to work for some and not for others. As good as for the price from a company that has a not so good record of making drivers is why most are passing.

Glad you found a driver that works for you enjoy it and your night

Hit it tonight at the outdoor (heated) range. Great shape, solid feel, muted sound. 9º head playing standard, weight at the back, with the Atmos TS Black 7X shaft. Had a nice looking flight. Need to book a Trackman session and see the spin.

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

For me it’s the whole driver vs driver show that turns me off it

The make nice irons. And yea the irons are pretty good. ;)

They make GREAT irons! (See my sig, best feeling irons that are super forgiving at the same time)

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cobra Snakebite 23 V 58 Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

I'm getting good performance from it. Put a helium shaft in it and it's doing every bit as good as my f8+ I got fit for in the cobra connect experience.

It looks great, sounds and feels good, and I'm enjoying playing it.

Of course it won't be for everyone but I do think it'd be a shame for many to just look past it because it says Wilson on it.

For me it's the whole driver vs driver show that turns me off it

So because of a show, you're not even going to give it a chance? doesn't matter to me haha but I guess that just seems silly in my eyes.

ALthough to be fair, I don't buy taylormade anything due to how I have perceived their marketing stuffs over the past decade and not by how it works for me. I mean I have hit the m4 but it felt and sounded like garbage and their driver heads always seem to look massive.

Forever Changing at this point.......

I'm getting good performance from it. Put a helium shaft in it and it's doing every bit as good as my f8+ I got fit for in the cobra connect experience.

Of course it won't be for everyone but I do think it'd be a shame for many to just look past it because it says Wilson on it.

People aren't looking past it because it says Wilson on it. It's more expensive than better drivers on the market. Plus new releases are out that will be better and some at the same price point.

what is cheaper that is better? most tests i hae seen and done myself have it going head to head easily with last years stuff. havent hit it against any of the newer offerings yet though. i see some have had better results with the TS series though.

Forever Changing at this point.......

People aren't looking past it because it says Wilson on it. It's more expensive than better drivers on the market. Plus new releases are out that will be better and some at the same price point.

what is cheaper that is better? most tests i hae seen and done myself have it going head to head easily with last years stuff. havent hit it against any of the newer offerings yet though. i see some have had better results with the TS series though.

It’s going to be player dependent but when what’s arguably been the best two drivers out are the g400 and g400 lst are $200 cheaper and the g400 max still less at full price even st same performance 99% of golfers are going to go with the less expensive club.

The f9 and for some the TS line will be better and they are same price or cheaper. Most people need/want to see significant performance enhancements over their current driver or what else is on the market to drop premium price on a club

It’s going to be player dependent but when what’s arguably been the best two drivers out are the g400 and g400 lst are $200 cheaper and the g400 max still less at full price even st same performance 99% of golfers are going to go with the less expensive club.

The f9 and for some the TS line will be better and they are same price or cheaper. Most people need/want to see significant performance enhancements over their current driver or what else is on the market to drop premium price on a club

Totally agree and I’m a Cortex user. Tested it head to head against my F8+ couple days ago. Mid to high 40s with a slight breeze and a tad gusty, Cortex seems to stay in air longer, distance seems bout equal, but the Cortex seems a tad more forgiving to me. I really like the shape of the F8+ actually better. Unless one spends a pocket full for a fitting and shaft, even then, you’re likely not gonna find a ton of added yards. I just don’t see it. Find what suits your eye, a good fit shaft, and enjoy the game. Equipment is highly over priced I think, and to some degree overrated.

• 4 months later...

> @03trdblack said:

> It's a mighty good looking head at address but I couldn't get the performance out of it. This was primarily due to having no shaft options to try other than the stock Atmos shafts. I'd love to pick up one and try some different shafts but Wilson's stupid adapter has a plastic ferrule that melts when you try and pull the tip off and you can't buy just the ferrule. I'm not buying new tips at $30 each either. The juice just isn't worth the squeeze.

If the Cortex uses the same adapter as the D300, then the Taylormade R15 ferrule will fit and not look too out of place.

8pml2xlmfzrp.jpeg

*I don’t know if this is true of all Taylormade ferrules or just the one I happened to buy, but I imagine it’d be all of them.

• Like 1

> @"Golfer from MO" said:

> Looks great, as lefty haven't seen o e to hit

>

> Great shaft but need to update adapter....that's so 1990

It’s actually one of the best adapters I’ve used. Same adapter as the past few models and it’s great. Have it in my FG5 hybrid.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

> @mogc60 said:

> > @"Golfer from MO" said:

> > Looks great, as lefty haven't seen o e to hit

> >

> > Great shaft but need to update adapter....that's so 1990

>

> It’s actually one of the best adapters I’ve used. Same adapter as the past few models and it’s great. Have it in my FG5 hybrid.

I’ll second that. Quick, simple, and almost invisible at address. The only drawback was the ferrule, and I solved that too.

I’ve been seeing more and more newer Wilson gear in peoples’ bags lately. No idea if their market share has improved any and don’t care to look it up, but they look and sound pretty good to my ears and the owners seem to really seem to have a cultish kind of appreciation for them. Seeing more Wilson balls around too.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

I game the Cortex driver and it launches higher than my previously gamed TM M4 and ultimately achieves more carry distance.

I love it!! And the irons are super!!!

TM Tour Issue M6 10.5 GD ADDI 7S
TM The One 13.5 GD Accra TZ
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow 85 S
Onoff 2011 4-Pw Roddio Pentacross I-10 SX flex
Wilson Staff Forged 52, 56 & 60  & Miura KM-350 putter

> @eaglestan66 said:

> I game the Cortex driver and it launches higher than my previously gamed TM M4 and ultimately achieves more carry distance.

> I love it!! And the irons are super!!!

Nice to hear, I played the Triton for a year, and aside from it being "the worst driver ever made" I got on quite well with it. Re-shafting it now for my dad to use, he plays the forged v4 irons, beautiful clubs.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

I used to be the Wilson staffer in the store. I constantly told our owner, "How can their irons and wedges be so great and their woods be so-so?" We just couldn’t sell them, no matter how many shafts we slapped in them. But on the bright side, I handed my irons and wedges to a kid playing high school golf and he played the heck out of them. Those PMP wedges are the truth. But when their pros won’t play the woods outside of commercials that’s not lending to their ultimate credibility. And their newest major champion playing a PING driver has to sting a bit even though he was on an iron only deal.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Problem is that the current line of drivers available is quite good. Ping is doing great with the G400 Max and the G410. The Epic Flash is an improvement from the Rogue. The M5 and M6 are solid and the Cobra F9 Speedback is really good.

RH