What is your fairway finder club/shot

dgarland

Frankly, I don't see how there's so many people that can say driver when some of the best players in the world wouldn't. The only reason I could see is if you hit driver under 230 yards where then you need the distance. For me, it's Tiger's shot - stinger long iron (would be a 2 iron when I get one but currently my 20 degree 3)

Frankly I don't see how you can say a 2 iron stinger is easier to hit that a bog standard driver.

For a start, most don't have the speed to get a 2 iron up in the air and then you're telling them to de-loft it even more!

Wow...

Eh, there was a time that little "stinger" was pretty automatic for me and I wasn't really all that great, haha. People way overestimate what it takes to produce a stinger. The lack of loft does it. It's just a little held-off, punchy shot. For an amateur who's probably already a bit steep, it can actually be one of the easiest shots in the bag--way easier than hitting a high-draw for instance.

3 wood off the deck in middle of stance. Stinger swing produces low cut. It was a money shot for me in Scotland.

Bingo.

It really just comes down to course type. If the course is flat and dry, a 2-iron *might* make sense. You can rely on getting some roll in the fairways and even potentially use the 2-iron to bash it up around the green on a Par-5.

Then again, if you play a course that is hilly, soft, short and/or wet, the attractiveness of the 2-iron can drop significantly. That's a big part of why I ditched mine.

I started out playing a course that was flat and somewhat wide open. The 2-iron was great. Then I moved and started frequenting a course that was shorter. A 3- or 4-iron was perfectly adequate there so I dropped the 2-iron. Then I moved again and now I mostly play a course that is hilly with long Par-5s that can only be reached with high shots that carry 95% of the way to the green, thus the 2-iron is a poor option.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, I don't see how there's so many people that can say driver when some of the best players in the world wouldn't. The only reason I could see is if you hit driver under 230 yards where then you need the distance. For me, it's Tiger's shot - stinger long iron (would be a 2 iron when I get one but currently my 20 degree 3)

Frankly I don't see how you can say a 2 iron stinger is easier to hit that a bog standard driver.

For a start, most don't have the speed to get a 2 iron up in the air and then you're telling them to de-loft it even more!

Wow...

In reply to both of your comments. Is it not common knowledge that the driver being the longest club in the bag (dimensions and shot length), makes it the hardest to hit consistently straight? The most things can go wrong with that club.

Not once was I implying that everyone should hit 2 iron stingers - was the shot that works for me as my 3 (basically 2.5 with how low it spins) iron off the tee is my most consistent shot.

The majority of average weekly amatuers can benefit from not using driver off tee and instead a higher lofted wood. The idea that driver is the most comfortable because they bash it at the range the most, is ludicirous and it would create many problems. They obviously haven't seen how effective it is. As to the idea of supposedly not being able to hit a fairway wood well... No wonder people can't if they never practice with it.

I'm definitely not gaining accuracy with a fairway wood (aside from being a little shorter),

I think this is true for most players (especially non-pros/elite amateurs unless you just can't hit a driver).

I'm also of the belief that scoring isn't any better over the long-run by hitting a FW. I may be in the fairway 1 more time out of 10 with the FW but when you consider a) I am farther back when in the fairway and b) the bad shots with the FW are both way back and crooked I don't think it's a benefit playing the averages.

The more I play, the more I agree. But that's kind of because I've become better at hitting *up* on the driver. If you hit down and spray it, you'll undoubtedly be more accurate with a 3w, or at least that was my experience.

Today, I'm better at launching my driver but by consequence, I'm shallow (not steep) with my fairways. Where I used to always squirt my 3w to the right, I can now turn it over which actually makes it *less* reliable in some sense. I can definitely hit it higher now, which is an improvement, but in terms of accuracy off the tee, the 3w no longer ranks above the driver.

Lastly, I can see why some people may find the fairway more with a FW/hybrid/driving iron on a shorter hole. But often I think this has to do with swinging in a more controlled/relaxed fashion than the club selection. Hence, try swinging the same controlled way with the 460 cc driver!

True.

And in addition to what I said above, I'd also say that improved wedge play gives me a lot more confidence, too. Some folks lay back to avoid the partial wedge shots, if only to avoid the occasional disaster shot where they chunk it.

That's a shame as your scoring should really only improve as you get closer to the hole.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

A baby draw with whatever my driver is.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

If the hole is under 400, I'll hit a 4 iron. I can hit a slight pull or fade it back to center line. I almost never get the hooks with irons so I can aim middle to middle left. I can get the 4 out there 190-210 range from the box. If the hole is north of 400, I'll hit 2 hybrid. I play the same pull to fade shot but I can turn the hybrid left, too. The yardage of the 2 hybrid is 220-240. Not in 100% control of the left shot, though. Haven't developed enough confidence or practiced enough to hit my 3 iron.

There's nothing in the rule book that says you can't play drunk.

A few seasons back I was able to play 2-3 rounds a week and my 3 wood nearly always found fairways, except for the the occasional pulls ... since then, work hours have changed and I get to play 1 stressed late round a week and it has done nothing good for me :-(

Now I rely on a shortened driving iron going maybe 210 total distance and with no certainty of a fairway hit, some 35 yards shorter than my 3 wood

On a really bad day, I'll deloft a 7 iron and pray it doesn't hook .. It will take me 185 yards down the hole

Depends on the max yardage I can hit the ball on any given hole. If I can fire away without fear of a hazard but only care about hitting fairway 3w. Big Bertha Alpha 816 14* (down to 13). Can pop it out there 270-305 or so. But have a 18* m3 5w and 19* MP18 FliHi 3i for anything that needs laid back. Have found loading the top of the bag better than the bottom as I'm a feel player and like to hit knock downs more than full wedges to control spin.

Frankly, I don't see how there's so many people that can say driver when some of the best players in the world wouldn't.

I agree with this. I wonder how many would still say driver if you said up 2 strokes on the 18th. Virtually every pro would hit an iron or 5 wood in this scenario. I can see if you're a high cap player and you are not confident with any club so it doesn't matter.

Nonsense. They’re trying to make bogey. If they needed a birdie or a par they’d hit driver.

We’re playing the course not the field. It’s completely different. If you play your weekend rounds the way a pro plays when he’s protecting a Sunday lead you’re doing it wrong.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

2 iron. Aim down the left side and let it bleed towards the center line. And there ya have my signature bleeder. Or aim straight and forget you can't hit a draw so it bleeds into the right rough

Titleist TSi3 - TPO 70TX

Titleist 917 F2 16.5 - Diamana W 80X

Titleist 718 TMB 2 - MMT 105TX / TSi3 20 - TPW 100TX

Mizuno MP18 4-P - TTDG X100

Vokey SM9 50.12F, 56.12D - TTDG S400

Vokey SM8 60.08 M - TTDG S400

TaylorMade Tour Spider

Frankly, I don't see how there's so many people that can say driver when some of the best players in the world wouldn't.

I agree with this. I wonder how many would still say driver if you said up 2 strokes on the 18th. Virtually every pro would hit an iron or 5 wood in this scenario. I can see if you're a high cap player and you are not confident with any club so it doesn't matter.

Nonsense. They’re trying to make bogey. If they needed a birdie or a par they’d hit driver.

We’re playing the course not the field. It’s completely different. If you play your weekend rounds the way a pro plays when he’s protecting a Sunday lead you’re doing it wrong.

Did you even read what I said? Nowhere did I say every drive. All I said if you had to tee off with a lead, what would you hit. While some of us are not pros, we still play competitive rounds vs our friends and I like to win.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

When you absolutely need to get a ball in the fairway what is your go to club and shot? For me it is my 2 hybrid (Callaway x hot pro 18* 2H). The shot I try to hit is a little draw starting up the right half of the fairway and curving back slightly... if all goes as planned that is. I am interested to see how many still hit driver and how many choose draw vs fade.

Depending on how far i need to hit it out there. If it's about 210-235 yards, it's either my M2 18* 2H or M3 19* 5 wood (whichever I'm carrying that day). Longer shots would be my 15* 3 wood. Mainly a slight draw.

Looking for a slight cut I hit an "armsy" sawed off 3wood but it's just as fun to hit a hard 20º and pretend I'm not scared.

Grip down an inch and try to stay in the hole as long as you can, by any means possible.

You will be surprised how many bets $$$ you can win by just threatening par when it really matters.

Push draw with my trusty oldest club in my bag the R11 4wood. Just never lets me down off a tee

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

His 5 iron as a punch shot from under pine trees returning to the fairway....or his three wood, historically.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

U65 2 iron with a slight draw around 230-240 total. Unless it's a dogleg left, then I try to hit a fade that starts on a straight line in case it doesn't fade. It's really forgiving and hot-faced, so I don't try to overswing or do too much. The percentages are with me to be closer to the green in two even if I'm hitting a mid-iron. I do the same with the G400 hybrid when it's swapped into the bag, and it's even more forgiving when the wind is down.

If I've got a long par 4 (>420yd), my 3w is very steady with a draw, or a 1" choked down, smooth driver. My miss will be a block with these clubs so I start it on a line that covers that and if I hook it there are no penalty areas I'll end up in. There are days the wind is brutal/course is soaked and I play 3 shots relying on short game for par and bogey being my worst score.

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D2.5) 18GF, 8GB 45"

(testing) Diamana PD 60TX (D5) 16GF, 5GB 45.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

T20 50.07, T24 54.08D, T20 60.06, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34"  Callaway Tour X

If I really need to hit a fairway...

Hell, that’s when I pull out my favorite club—my Srixon 20 degree u45 and proceed to block it right into the trees.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5 w/Evenflow Riptide CB X-Stiff 
Cobra F8+ 14.5* Rouge Silver X-Stiff

Cobra F8+ 18* Rouge Silver X-Stiff
Srxion 4-6 ZX5 irons, ZX7 7-PW irons w/PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50, 54, 58 x/PX LZ 6.0
Sik Flo or Sik DW or Edel or SGC Norwood