Tiger wins. Can't find a spot in the muni parking lot now.

BeerPerHole

The Monday after TW's win at the 2000 British, I went to my [then] job at a sheetmetal shop. The guys, none of whom played golf, were talking about the tournament all morning. It was the British where Duval had an episode in the Road Hole bunker. They were saying things like, "That guy sucks; he had no chance", etc. I remember being annoyed because they had no clue how great Duval was, how hard the shot was, or how good all elite players were, just that Duval lost to Tiger. I think some people on this board get annoyed when TW wins because they hold the mentality of, "I liked golf before he came along, I'm a real golf fan", etc. It's obvious in reading some posts. The difference is: This board isn't a sheetmetal shop.

Stevie knows,

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/26580680/masters-win-re-energizes-golf

Tiger's ex-caddie: Masters win re-energizes golf

"You look at it from a broader perspective,'' Williams said. "Here in New Zealand, golf is somewhat struggling. The number of rounds is down, junior numbers are slipping. Now that Tiger has come right back there again, winning a major championship, possibly putting Jack's (Nicklaus) record in play again ... it just re-energizes the game

"It's absolutely awesome. He's the only guy who can energize the game like that. All those kids who were watching had to think it was fantastic. And so what he's done is a remarkable achievement. It's so positive.''

> @MtlJeff said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @youdamantiger said:

> > > The "Tiger Effect" on golf participation has always been completely overblown. In 1996, before Tiger turned pro there were 24 million regular golfers in America (regular as defined by enjoying at least eight rounds per year). Then there was a relatively small uptick from 1997-2000, reaching 27 million. But it didn't last. From 2000-2010 the percentage of golfers declined by 10%. Today, the number of golfers in America stands at...24 million. Right where it was before Tiger turned pro.

> > >

> > > I'm all for growing the game but it's important to admit that golf is a niche sport, and always will be. It's expensive, time consuming, and ridiculously hard to play.

> >

> > 24 million additional rounds a year is a “ small uptick “?

>

> I remember reading that "golfers " (however it was defined, people playing at least 1 round a year maybe) was about 25M pre-Tiger, than in the decade after his 1997 Masters win , it slowly rose to around 35M , and then has dropped all the way back to 25M in the past 3-4 years and is still there now.

>

> I think Tiger had a major effect of golf, it just didn't last. Tiger made golf cool, except the people who took it up maybe didn't find it as cool as Tiger made it look LOL.

Totally. Definitely didn’t last. But the effect was real and more than a slight uptick.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @"Ashley Schaeffer" said:

> The Monday after TW's win at the 2000 British, I went to my [then] job at a sheetmetal shop. The guys, none of whom played golf, were talking about the tournament all morning. It was the British where Duval had an episode in the Road Hole bunker. They were saying things like, "That guy sucks; he had no chance", etc. I remember being annoyed because they had no clue how great Duval was, how hard the shot was, or how good all elite players were, just that Duval lost to Tiger. I think some people on this board get annoyed when TW wins because they hold the mentality of, "I liked golf before he came along, I'm a real golf fan", etc. It's obvious in reading some posts. The difference is: This board isn't a sheetmetal shop.

100.%

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/228435410_Economic_Value_of_Celebrity_Endorsement_Tiger_Woods%27_Impact_on_Sales_of_Nike_Golf_Balls

**_Economic Value of Celebrity Endorsement: Tiger Woods' Impact on Sales of Nike Golf Balls_**

In this paper we quantify the economic worth of celebrity endorsements by studying the sales of endorsed products. We do so with the use of two unique data sets consisting of monthly golf ball sales and professional golfer (celebrity) quality levels. In particular, we examine the impact Tiger Woods had on sales of Nike golf balls. Our identification of the causal effect of a celebrity is grounded in the celebrity’s random performance over time. Using two different approaches, reduced form and structural, we find that there are substan- tial celebrity endorsement effects. From our structural model we determine that endorsements not only induce consumers to switch brands, a business stealing effect, but also have a primary demand effect. **We determine from 2000-2010, the Nike golf ball division reaped an addi- tional profit of $103 million through an acquisition of 9.9 million sales from Tiger Woods’ endorsement effect. Moreover, having Tiger Woods endorse a brand leads to a price premium of roughly 2.5%. As a result, approximately 57% of Nike’s investment of $181 million en- dorsement contract was recovered just in US golf ball sales alone.**

![](https://thesportsphysio.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/wpid-photo-20150804001125738.jpg "")

Titleist....

I went to look for a round as a single this last saturday (starting looking on tuesday) and couldnt find much of anything, finally saw something pop up for a mid-morning round. That round ended up taking me 5 hours

Part of it I'm sure was the winter rain finally letting up, but I'd say some was the Tiger effect. The 3-some I was paired with were not regular golfers and all drove almost an hour to meet at this course to play

Yeah, hopefully the non-golfers that have been spurred to hit the courses get a dose of reality their first or second time out and re-quit in sheer frustration, all over again.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

> @"A.Princey" said:

> Yeah, hopefully the non-golfers that have been spurred to hit the courses get a dose of reality their first or second time out and re-quit in sheer frustration, all over again.

Then again, maybe some very athletic kids with who previously thought golf was a boring game.

Saw TW and all that he is and brings, which, lets face it, the rest of the pro golfers do not, and said,

Hey Dad, can I do that?

I can tell you that none of the athletes in my school days thought a second about golf. The golf team consisted of the worst athletes. Not knocking, thats just a fact. Seeing TW would have changed that.

And thats what its about.

Yeah...I kinda dig it. I like to see golf popular, especially with the young folks. I took up golf at the time Tiger hit the scene. But, I did it for different reasons. I saw how important golf was in business at that time and decided to try it. I was, and am still occasionally, horrible at it. I do remember seeing Tiger and thinking, "Oh...THAT'S what they mean by turning your shoulders!" I'm betting this recent Masters victory will create more permanent converts.

> @Steele47 said:

> I've been against this whole 'grow the game' thing since 1976. But, I've been a self loathing cynical curmudgeon since 1974. So, I'm largely unaffected by all this.

I never liked this concept either. We're supposed to feel joy whenever the golf course gets packed, because the game is growing? I swear golf is gotta be the only economic market where they somehow got the consumers to feel the burden of making more profits for the producers. Gotta grow the game, gotta grow the game.

You don't walk into a Best Buy and start shouting to other customers about how we need to grow the electronics industry. And for the most part, the electronics industry respects that.

• Like 1

> @Ferguson said:

> > @3jacker said:

> > If TW winning made someone want to rush out, buy a set of clubs, haul *** to the nearest muni driving range and get to shankin.. then I really hope it is short-lived.

> >

> > I liked it better when only the "right" people played golf.

>

> Right-handed people!!

>

D-mn lefties getting all uppity. Stick to your squash courts like God intended.

> @KillerPenguin said:

> > @Ferguson said:

> > > @3jacker said:

> > > If TW winning made someone want to rush out, buy a set of clubs, haul *** to the nearest muni driving range and get to shankin.. then I really hope it is short-lived.

> > >

> > > I liked it better when only the "right" people played golf.

> >

> > Right-handed people!!

> >

>

> D-mn lefties getting all uppity. Stick to your squash courts like God intended.

Nothing more frustrating than walking into a golf store and having walk past the "left-handed" section with their **special **clubs. I once (accidentally) tried on a left-handed shirt and couldn't figure why it felt so uncomfortable.

> @legitimategolf said:

> > @Steele47 said:

> > I've been against this whole 'grow the game' thing since 1976. But, I've been a self loathing cynical curmudgeon since 1974. So, I'm largely unaffected by all this.

>

> I never liked this concept either. We're supposed to feel joy whenever the golf course gets packed, because the game is growing? I swear golf is gotta be the only economic market where they somehow got the consumers to feel the burden of making more profits for the producers. Gotta grow the game, gotta grow the game.

>

> You don't walk into a Best Buy and start shouting to other customers about how we need to grow the electronics industry. And for the most part, the electronics industry respects that.

You also don’t do that at Circuit City. I want all of the ethically run, locally owned small businesses to be successful. That includes the golf courses and clubs.

> @RobS14526 said:

> > @legitimategolf said:

> > > @Steele47 said:

> > > I've been against this whole 'grow the game' thing since 1976. But, I've been a self loathing cynical curmudgeon since 1974. So, I'm largely unaffected by all this.

> >

> > I never liked this concept either. We're supposed to feel joy whenever the golf course gets packed, because the game is growing? I swear golf is gotta be the only economic market where they somehow got the consumers to feel the burden of making more profits for the producers. Gotta grow the game, gotta grow the game.

> >

> > You don't walk into a Best Buy and start shouting to other customers about how we need to grow the electronics industry. And for the most part, the electronics industry respects that.

>

> You also don’t do that at Circuit City. I want all of the ethically run, locally owned small businesses to be successful. That includes the golf courses and clubs.

>

Circuit City - the epitome of poor management.

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @3jacker said:

> > If TW winning made someone want to rush out, buy a set of clubs, haul *** to the nearest muni driving range and get to shankin.. then I really hope it is short-lived.

> >

> > I liked it better when only the "right" people played golf.

>

> seriously, only the 'right' people played golf?

>

>

>

>

Absolutely. Gentleman, upstanding sorts. Educated, and with manners.

If the statement offends you, that's fine. I can live with it.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

> @3jacker said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @3jacker said:

> > > If TW winning made someone want to rush out, buy a set of clubs, haul *** to the nearest muni driving range and get to shankin.. then I really hope it is short-lived.

> > >

> > > I liked it better when only the "right" people played golf.

> >

> > seriously, only the 'right' people played golf?

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> Absolutely. Gentleman, upstanding sorts. Educated, and with manners.

>

> If the statement offends you, that's fine. I can live with it.

Don't forget

Well dressed ; )

sq1hz3ga610o.png

• Like 1

3jacker is TRIGGERED.

Jokes aside, Tiger's recent impact is amazing. So what if courses are starting to get filled by "uneducated, non-upstanding sorts." Doesn't bother me one bit. If anything, i'm glad they've found a liking in this beautiful sport. If they decide to quit in a month because it's too hard, fine by me too. But those that stick to the sport, like many of us, get to share it with our best friends, families and kids. If you're bothered by "those people" 3jacker, go find another course or join a country club.

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

> @mcc0819 said:

> 3jacker is TRIGGERED.

>

> Jokes aside, Tiger's recent impact is amazing. So what if courses are starting to get filled by "uneducated, non-upstanding sorts." Doesn't bother me one bit. If anything, i'm glad they've found a liking in this beautiful sport. If they decide to quit in a month because it's too hard, fine by me too. But those that stick to the sport, like many of us, get to share it with our best friends, families and kids. If you're bothered by "those people" 3jacker, go find another course or join a country club.

He’s not all wrong though. There certainly was an increase in “questionable”behavior along with that increase in people playing. And it’s in the country club now too. Outside of the elite places, clubs now don’t want to lose members, so more gets tolerated.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather skip 3 holes and play 15 in 2:30 than wait behind two hacktastic foursomes, a threesome consisting entirely of 70+ y/o women, and some f'ing pee-wee trying to "learn the game."

If I'm playing a hole, I want to (and should) be the only one on it.

--After3onSundays--

--KnowYourPlace--