PXG 0211 irons - what do you think?

jjfcpa

Have they shown up yet? Did you only get the irons? An order filler told me that my order will be delayed indefinitely because they are experiencing a shortage in Project X EvenFlow shafts for my 3 wood....and they wont ship incomplete orders. So my irons are being held hostage in Scottsdale till my 3 wood is done

Pat has moved on from the PXG 0211 irons and is now playing the new 0311XP GEN 3 irons!

• Like 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I have a tendency to flare my 4 iron so I ordered a 0211 4 iron to play around with and see if I can work it into my bag of 0311T’s.

GAMER SETUP:

Callaway AiSmoke TD 8* @ 7* | Tour AD HD 7s 

Callaway AiSmoke TD 3W | Denali Black 6.0 70g

TaylorMade SIM Ti 5W | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway Apex Black 4-P | Nippon Modus 120 S +1"

Titleist 48* @ 49* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 54* @ 55* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 58* @ 59* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | 36" - 71* - 3.5*

Man, that's only been asked a bazillion times on this thread.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond S  8.5* (Tensei 1k Pro Blue)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 3W (Tensei 1k Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 5W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 7W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Irons: PXG 0317T Xtreme Dark 5-PW (Dynamic Gold120 X100)

Wedge: Titleist SM9 48*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 54*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice

I am not usually that guy... but I posted it several

times about my 0211 fitting. One word between the two... same same..: wait.. that’s two words.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

https://youtu.be/Lawz1Mc16VoSUMMARY OF FINDINGS...……….

4D81QGBYMGZ0.jpg

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I had a set of the original P790s. I find the PXG 0211 superior in every way. The field is superb. I used to play Mizuno’s prior and they have that buttery forged feel. The 790 tended to be a little clickier, harder feeling. I also had a really hard time with pulls and hooks with the P790s. If I took a big swing I’d have to be careful because I really had a duck hook if I swung too fast. However, I also never had any kind of slice it was almost impossible for me to hit a fade with those clubs if I wanted to. The 0211s are so much easier to hit on the long irons. I even purchased a four iron based on the reviews that I read online on plugged in Golf and they were right. It’s another 10 or 15 yards past the five iron and a playable club for me. . On my last four or five sets I stopped at the five iron and went to a 4 hybrid. And on most of those sets I had no confidence really even hitting a five iron. Often I would just choke down on a hybrid or take a three-quarter hybrid swing on a shot in my five iron range. These PXG clubs just go. They are long but they are also consistent on distance. I probably have a 10 yard dispersion pattern in length depending on how hard I swing but there are no flyers. With the taylormade clubs I never knew what I was getting some times that I would over shoot a green by 10 yards if I really pured it. My 7-iron was anywhere from 155 to 175 yards. I thought I would never ever purchase a PXG club, and in the beginning I was really skeptical and basically forged in opinion based on the prices they were charging for their clubs. I became a big fan of ping clubs in the past few years and was playing the i210s prior to purchasing the O211s. The thing I most liked about the pings was the distance control. They were extremely accurate and when you hit the center it felt great. The lofts on the club are traditional, though, and I lost about 10 yards on every club compared to the taylormade that I played before. The i500 would probably be a more comparable club and the one I chose should have chosen, but they just felt too hard even though they are supposedly forged. The PXG is just a smoother, more muted, softer feel. I’m in New Jersey and I’ll play golf 38° and rising and you really feel the sting with those pings in the cold LOL. The PXG just smooth and soft with solid but not extreme distance.

So unlike most commenters on here, I had no opportunity for a honeymoon period. I received my irons back in late summer during the $95 / iron + free Gen 1 driver offer. I was fit by PXG and loved the 0221’s during the process.

However, I was in the middle of a match play tournament with my men’s club and on a roll. I swore I wouldn’t make a club change until I lost or the tournament was over. (I ended up winning the entire thing on the second sudden death hole #humblebrag).

Long story short, I finally started playing them a few months ago and struggled at first. After getting specs checked I found every iron to be exactly 1/4” shorter than I wanted (and shorter then my Ping i25’s). I contacted PXG and the phone fitter said the way they measure is different from some companies, but often has a 1/4” discrepancy. I explained how odd I found that, but their reply was basically, “we measure correctly and build to the length we find best for the irons”. Oh well.

Since I was WAY outside my 30 window with PXG I simply had 1/4” extensions put in every iron and new grips too (the PXG stock grips are, ironically, junk). After a few range sessions and rounds I am IN LOVE. While I had my i25’s bent strong before “power spec” was even a thing, I am now 4-5 yards farther while still stopping them quick and backing up the short irons. As a long hitter (maybe not by WRX standards, 155-160 yard 9-iron), I’m really not looking for distance. More importantly, these are the BEST feeling irons I have personally played. Obviously the i25’s aren’t know for their feel (yet I never disliked them), I played Mizuno before those and had a brief run with AP2’s. When a ball is flushed with the 0211 the feel is mind blowingly smooth. Not muted, but soft.

At this point, I am sold. I was keeping my i25’s until convinced they were overtaken, and now I’m getting them cleaned up for the BST.

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 60S

Fairway: TTE E8 Beta w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70S

Driving Iron:  PXG 0311X 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro White 90S

Hybrid:  PXG 0317X Gen2 19o w/ Tensei CK Pro Orange 90S

Irons:  PXG 0311P Gen4 5-G w/ AeroTech SteelFiber 115fc S

Wedges:  Taylormade MG2 56o & 60o

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Well, I did it. went and did a side by side with the Mavrik, 0211, P790, 919HMP. I only had a chance to swing the Mavrik in a 6i STD, and Pro. First off I can honestly say the 0211 is the best feeling, sounding cast club I ever hilt.

The Mavrik had the distance over the rest of the clubs, but the shape, topline, and sound of the standard Mavrik was just awful to me. Every hit was a loud crack. The Pro was better with the topline and looks, but still had the crack sound. I do admit, they had distance a plenty. The P790 was the runner up club, no issues with the sound and looks and it hit OK. Same with the HMP. Loved the looks of the HMP but it too made a weird sound, not a crack like the Mavrik, but different. Sounded hard to me, kind of difficult to describe, but just hard sounding. I thought for sure that the HMP were going to be the best in feel, but really they weren't. the P790 felt better than the HMP. Finally to the 0211. The distance was maybe a few yards better than the P790, so I'll call that even, but the feel is something else. It's almost like hitting a forged iron. This was a huge surprise. Price, which plays a part, I got these on their Heros program which saved me $30 a stick. Final thought, never in a million years did I ever think that I would pick as PXG over the ones I tested, NEVER. When they first came out, I really didn't like the screws in the club, just looked goofy. I still don't like the screws, but man the 0211 is just one great iron, to me.

As far as my specs goes, nothing special. I went with the MMT 70 Shafts, GP +4 grips, std. loft and lie, swing weight D-1.

• Like 1

I decided to order a set today. Pretty hard to pass up at $125 a stick. I had a set of the gen one XF irons that I bought at half off from PXG. Really liked them but didn’t like how chunky the short irons were and eventually sold them. I like how the 0211 is a progressive set. I went 5-G with the MMT 80g stiff flex shaft and GP MMC+ 4 grips. $1084 with shipping and tax, not a bad deal! Now the wait!

Congrats! You are going to love them. The MMT 80 is a fantastic shaft. It tested second best for me. I ended up with the Accra i80, distance was basically the same but dispersion was tighter. During my fit I tried all their irons fully expecting to settle on the Gen3s but to my surprise the 0211 performed the best all around. The new XPs were the longest but the spin was just too low for my game. What surprised me the most was the feel of the 0211 is just as great at Gen3s.

Ping G400 were great irons, I didn't like the way they looked, but they were great irons. Ping i500 were beautiful irons, a bit clicky for me which I attribute to the hollow cavity in the iron. Not as forgiving as the G400, but ball went far. Last summer, I tagged along with a buddy to roll some PXG putters and ended up getting fit for a whole bag. The 0311 Gen2 XF are the most amazing irons. I know they're not as "soft" feeling as the Gen1, and the Gen3 is suppose to have that soft feeling again, but the Gen2 irons for me, are great. I've never hit irons or woods that want to find the fairway or green on poor shots. I feel like I have gapping issues with the 8-GW but I've figured out how to work around it with different shots, but all in all, PXG is great for me.

Driver: PXG Gen5 0811XF 9* with Tensei CK Blue 65, stiff
3W: PXG Gen4 0341 15* with Fukijura PRO 2.0, stiff
Hybrid: PXG Gen4 0317X 19* with Fujikura PRO 2.0, stiff

4i-6i: Srixon ZX 5 MKII with NS PRO Modus Tour 120, stiff

7i-AW: Srixon ZX 7 MKII with NS PRO Modus Tour 120, stiff
54: PXG 0311 Milled Sugar Daddy with TrueTemper Elevate Tour, stiff
58: PXG 0311 Milled Sugar Daddy with TrueTemper Elevate Tour, stiff
Putter: Scotty Cameron Coronado California

After I bought my PXG, the master fitter told me I can come back any time if I need a gapping session to adjust lofts and even lies. PXG is great like that.

You really don't want to adjust your swing to accomodate different gaps, especially on the short irons.

i500 are super clicky, they felt awful when I demoed them. I didn't hit the G400s but I have demoed the G410 and the feel was sub-par, the dispersion was also much higher than the 0211 for my swing. Pings, other than the Blue Prints, are really lacking in the feel dept. Blows my mind that they haven't tried to copy what PXG is going with fill cavities.

Where the PXG irons shine is with mis-hits. If you are the type of player that strikes the ball on the sweet-spot 98% of the time, you probably don't need PXG. But on the mis-hits, the PXGs lose very little distance and don't cause a lot of dispersion, that is a BIG deal! My miss is always a toe strike which can lead to a very low spinning hooky shot. With the 0211, the spin only drops about 700-800 rpm and the draw is controllable to about 3-4 yards left of center versus 15-20 yards left of center on a club like G410. That's the difference between pars and bogeys.

• Like 1