PXG 0211 irons - what do you think?

jjfcpa

I have no idea what they will do, but I could see it making sense for them to discontinue the current 0211's to push the Gen 2 0311 stock for the lower tier Heroes program. Then when those stocks run low, they could always introduce an updated 0211 that could fill the lower tier Hero lineup until they are ready to release the Gen 4.

• Like 1

Well, played them Wed for the first time.

Qualifier - the weather was cold and windy, so distances were all over the place.

I hit some shots very well, some not so much. They seem to be about 3/4-1 club longer than what I usually find in my irons. Felt great.

Really, they are just golf clubs. I like the feel, but not so much different than the i210's I use.

They do look pretty, but they will look worse in a few weeks, after more golf.

It's always nice to see someone in the top percentage of golfing ability playing equipment an everyday Joe can find helpful. Pat is not afraid to use something more forgiving, he used the regular 0311's Gen 1's and a XF 3 iron, before jumping on the 0211's. The man gets clubs for free and plays what works. Impressive. I was happy the hero pricing brought the used market down to my price range, very nice set for the money.

So I looked at the number that PXG provided that compares each of the three Generation of 0311 and charted the 0211 with what PXG provided from the website. I took the median of the 0211 off the chart. To me it looks like the 0211 preformed just a little better then the 0311 Gen2. I think the feel(forged vs cast) is all subjective to the player.

My thoughts PXG maybe didn’t think they would preform this well compared to the Gen 2 when they released them and want to sell them off to focus on the Gen 3 now.

AQYF9VUEPWB5.jpeg

Once my irons were corrected, I cannot find anything bad thing to say about them. They "feel" better than any of the other cast clubs I have ever played, and "feel" just as good as some forged clubs I have played. The only club that I have played that was longer was my G700s. I recently put my 0211's up against the new TM P790 and the distance between the 2 was similar but I was getting better spin from the PXG 0211's, and they "feel" better to me. One noticeable thing that became more apparent to me when comparing the 0211's to the P790s was the PXG's progressive offset. In the wedges the PXG has less offset than the P790s, but in the mid and long irons it has more. So the 0211's offset does seem increase through the set at a higher rate than other "player's" style irons.

Why would anyone want to go with a cheaper brand of PXG especially now when the Gen 3's are here.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

For me, PXG’s “cheap” model was still better than other OEM’s “expensive” model.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

Probably because they are less than a third of the price. I was interested in the 0211 in the summer before I bought a set of ping i210s but couldn’t justify the price for a cast club. When I saw the price drop I bit the bullet and ordered them up to try. If they feel and perform like I’ve read it will keep me coming back to pxg in the future for an upgrade. My new 0211s are coming this Monday will compared to i210.

Here is something I don't get...

0211 have COR2, actually more COR2 than gen2 XF, and less offset

0211 have HY1770 maraging face, same has Gen2 and Gen2

All three have the same robotic face weld

What benefit does a forged versus cast body/back provide?

The performance of 0211 is better in every way than Gen1 so the screws aren't really adding much in the way of performance value.

I get the benefit of forging when it's a one piece forged head... tighter grain, etc, but how does forging benefit me if the face isn't forged?

Edit: for those that are going to say adjustablility, yesterday, a builder bend the lie 4 degrees on a 0211 right in front of me and said "well, that was easy!"

• Like 1

Ah the usual PXG hater has arrived. People still complaining about PXG prices need to get a life.

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond S  8.5* (Tensei 1k Pro Blue)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 3W (Tensei 1k Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 5W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 7W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Irons: PXG 0317T Xtreme Dark 5-PW (Dynamic Gold120 X100)

Wedge: Titleist SM9 48*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 54*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice

Pat seems to have his reasons, man has an $8000 toilet and is not afraid of $10,000 nights out on the town. Can play the $450 a head set but nope....

Does Zack Johnson have a few 0211's in the bag, seen him swinging a 6 iron? on hole 17 and a few other holes yesterday, didn't see any screws on it, thought is he playing a few Titliest mb mixed in with the 0311T's. Then I thought they looked to big for mb's so possibly 0211's. I'm probably seeing things though. His PXG WITB has not been updated recently to include the PXG putter so who know's.

PXG threads unfortunately follow a predictable pattern. PXG players are super passionate and vocal about our clubs. Someone who has typically never actually hit a PXG product comments how their pricing is too expensive. Repeat.

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

I've never hit one. And I'm very intriqued by them. I am going to TM I'm Carlsbad for a fitting of the P790 and 790ti this spring. I may try to find a PXG fitter afterward to compare.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Clear, but still annoying.

I have tried Gen2 a couple of times and found it nice feeling, but the screws on all the bottom perimeter are not attractive to me. I find Gen3 really appealing though.

Do I have the money to buy a set? Yes but just bought a set of Maltby DBM, at my specs, with grips and shafts I want for the cost of the 7 iron, literally.

Does it bug me that people buy PXG? Absolutely not and it doesn’t bother me the person that thinks that 425/stick is very steep.

When it becomes fanaticism, I feel like something is not right

Our pro dropped Titleist and now sells PXG, has the 0211’s as demo clubs. Best looking of the PXGs as I don’t care for the screw back look. But the 0211 long irons are a bit chunky, don’t like seeing the sole/back at address. But a lot of the guys I play with have purchased them, especially those that are veterans with the veteran promo. Solid clubs, but not for me.

Titleist TSi3 10 Evenflow Riptide MX 60 6.0
Titleist TSi2 15 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
Titleist TS2 19 Tensei CK Blue 70 S
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4-P Modus3 Tour 105 S
Callaway Jaws 50, 54, 58 DG Tour 115
Odyssey 2-ball ten tour lined, Toulon Las Vegas

Every brand has their fanboys, nothing new. Mizuno's have their's, where if you think your irons feel great they turn their nose up bc nothing feels better than their Mizuno's. What golfers spend their money on is their business. If they like them and want to spend the $$ on them so be it.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond S  8.5* (Tensei 1k Pro Blue)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 3W (Tensei 1k Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 5W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Fairway: Titleist TSR 7W (Tensei 1K Pro Black)

Irons: PXG 0317T Xtreme Dark 5-PW (Dynamic Gold120 X100)

Wedge: Titleist SM9 48*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 54*

Wedge: Titleist SM9 58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice

Yes they are similar to P790s forged body but face is steel. The i210s I’m playing now have a soft insert as well but are still a little too “click” for my liking. But much better than the i500. I played the P790 as well and had a tendency towards an overdraw/pull and distances were all over. I was hitting a seven iron anywhere from 150-180. I played Mizuno forged years ago and like them and I tried out the 919 forged, and HMB, but I couldn’t get my ball pattern dialed in. Was all over left/right. The i210s had the tightest dispersion out of HMB and 919 forged. But now I’m about a club shorter and all the irons compared to the P7 90s I just can’t get over the fact that I’m hitting my 7-iron 150 instead of 165. I know it’s the fact that they are more traditional lofts (34 degree 7 iron), but I feel weak when my buddies pull a wedge and I’m hitting an 8 lol. Should have gotten them in power spec. I’m going to go to 11 tomorrow order just before Christmas, and If by some chance I don’t like them I will just get my pings bent a little stronger.

I must admit that I thought pxg was ridiculously priced and ugly when they first came out. I’m still not a fan of the weights on the back of the Iron’s, and as far as pricing goes I don’t think I could ever justify paying $650 for a wedge. After doing research on PXGs start and employees background, and converting to a lot of ping clubs over the past year I’m intrigued and impressed by what Parsons is doing. He’s basically me, Or most of the people in this post, if we were billionaires. He’s obsessed with Golf like the rest of us, and is lucky enough to afford to try and improve the game. What he does for the military veterans alone should make most of the haters quiet down.

I am a constant tinkerer with my clubs. Every year something is getting replaced either the Woods or irons. I’m very much a field player and enjoy a soft Irons, soft ball, certain sound to my driver, etc. I’m figuring if I find a brand that I can trust I’ll upgrade less often. If the O2 11s work out I’ll hold onto them until generation four comes out and splurge figure that will be a couple years down the road at least. I also like the fact that they don’t release anything until it’s substantially better than a previous version I like every other manufacture that has to rename and re-color the same driver as the year before. If I had a tailor-made driver from two years ago and the new driver today I’m sure I’m going to be within yards and they’ll feel the same.

I've really wanted to like Mizuno but I've yet to hit one that felt really that good. They feel decent when hit out of the middle but PXG and Miura feel way better to me. A Mizuno not hit out of the middle doesn't feel good at all. I do like Chris Voshall. I would love to buy a set if I ever find a set that feels as good as people say.