2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

So really...re: divots...

> @Mikey5e said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > > It amazes me how polarized everybody gets in conversations like this. **They will say whatever to try to prove their point**. Getting a free drop from a divot is something that is inconceivable to those who don't think it should happen. It wouldn't make that big a difference in the scheme of things to anybody except for those who land in an unrepaired divot. Then, all of a sudden, people change their minds because it's happened to them. The fact is, an unrepaired divot is a fault on the golf course just as ball marks are on the green. I most likely won't land in one the rest of the year, but when somebody does I feel there should be relief for them because it's not a natural part of a golf course. Subtle depressions, side hill lies, grass over growing, etc, are all natural and acceptable, even a filled-in divot is acceptable, but an unrepaired one people should be able to fix it, and replace their ball. Why aren't people up in arms when lift clean and place are in effect? Okay, let's hear the excuses:

> > > >

> > > > I hope you're including yourself when you say "They will say whatever to try to prove their point" !!! LMAO

> > > >

> > > > You just type things for the sake of typing. "Inconceivable ? LMAO

> > > >

> > > > ![](http://media.tumblr.com/9d096f8bf0e84010836b20b1cdb14995/tumblr_inline_mm2u134zXZ1qz4rgp.gif "")

> > > >

> > > > NOBODY said getting free relief form a divot is inconceivable. I certainly didn't. At MOST people are telling you a) it's simply not in the Rules AND b) they are skeptical one can define a divot properly. At least YOU made a stab at it and said "unrepaired" and not "I know a divot when I see one (or WAS it you that said that ? LOL). Presumably you mean the dirt is clearly showing a freshly made divot - but even then, when does it become a fully repaired divot ? Never ? When grass blades begin coming up in the dirt ? When you can no longer see any dirt ? THAT is what the supporters of the "Rule as is" are mainly concerned with.

> > > >

> > > > And I don't recall anyone here "changing their mind" because THEY landed in one - just annudder thing you say to make a specious argument.

> > > >

> > > > A number of guys who've said "leave it alone" agree with you guys that it isn't fair, not that anything actually IS, but it's the rule and nobody (besides you of course) can agree with whether something IS a divot or not. Therein lies the problem.

> > > >

> > > > IF the Rules makers decide to give free relief from divots in the future I'm confident that they will give a thorough enough explanation/definition of a divot so that we can all recognize one.

> > > >

> > > > And people aren't "up in arms" about LCP because it IS in the Model Local Rules, it's invoked by the Committee when appropriate AND everybody actually knows what LCP encompasses - unlike a divot, it's UNambiguous.

> > > >

> > > > I'm not sure if this qualifies as an "excuse" but it's all I got. LOL

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Please write a condensed version, I never read long winded posts, they're usually just hot air.

> >

> >

> > You have no trouble writing your "hot air" them but you can't be bothered to read them ?

> >

> > Great tactic when ya got nuthin'. LMAO

> >

> > No worries. I'll just go back to ignoring your silliness.

> >

> >

>

> No need, just make your posts a little shorter. In the meantime, I'm going to write a letter to the USGA with my proposal of a free drop from unrepaired divots. It might make all the difference.

Be sure to tell them about all your eagles!

• Like 1

> @Sawgrass said:

> > @Mikey5e said:

> > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > > > It amazes me how polarized everybody gets in conversations like this. **They will say whatever to try to prove their point**. Getting a free drop from a divot is something that is inconceivable to those who don't think it should happen. It wouldn't make that big a difference in the scheme of things to anybody except for those who land in an unrepaired divot. Then, all of a sudden, people change their minds because it's happened to them. The fact is, an unrepaired divot is a fault on the golf course just as ball marks are on the green. I most likely won't land in one the rest of the year, but when somebody does I feel there should be relief for them because it's not a natural part of a golf course. Subtle depressions, side hill lies, grass over growing, etc, are all natural and acceptable, even a filled-in divot is acceptable, but an unrepaired one people should be able to fix it, and replace their ball. Why aren't people up in arms when lift clean and place are in effect? Okay, let's hear the excuses:

> > > > >

> > > > > I hope you're including yourself when you say "They will say whatever to try to prove their point" !!! LMAO

> > > > >

> > > > > You just type things for the sake of typing. "Inconceivable ? LMAO

> > > > >

> > > > > ![](http://media.tumblr.com/9d096f8bf0e84010836b20b1cdb14995/tumblr_inline_mm2u134zXZ1qz4rgp.gif "")

> > > > >

> > > > > NOBODY said getting free relief form a divot is inconceivable. I certainly didn't. At MOST people are telling you a) it's simply not in the Rules AND b) they are skeptical one can define a divot properly. At least YOU made a stab at it and said "unrepaired" and not "I know a divot when I see one (or WAS it you that said that ? LOL). Presumably you mean the dirt is clearly showing a freshly made divot - but even then, when does it become a fully repaired divot ? Never ? When grass blades begin coming up in the dirt ? When you can no longer see any dirt ? THAT is what the supporters of the "Rule as is" are mainly concerned with.

> > > > >

> > > > > And I don't recall anyone here "changing their mind" because THEY landed in one - just annudder thing you say to make a specious argument.

> > > > >

> > > > > A number of guys who've said "leave it alone" agree with you guys that it isn't fair, not that anything actually IS, but it's the rule and nobody (besides you of course) can agree with whether something IS a divot or not. Therein lies the problem.

> > > > >

> > > > > IF the Rules makers decide to give free relief from divots in the future I'm confident that they will give a thorough enough explanation/definition of a divot so that we can all recognize one.

> > > > >

> > > > > And people aren't "up in arms" about LCP because it IS in the Model Local Rules, it's invoked by the Committee when appropriate AND everybody actually knows what LCP encompasses - unlike a divot, it's UNambiguous.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm not sure if this qualifies as an "excuse" but it's all I got. LOL

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Please write a condensed version, I never read long winded posts, they're usually just hot air.

> > >

> > >

> > > You have no trouble writing your "hot air" them but you can't be bothered to read them ?

> > >

> > > Great tactic when ya got nuthin'. LMAO

> > >

> > > No worries. I'll just go back to ignoring your silliness.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > No need, just make your posts a little shorter. In the meantime, I'm going to write a letter to the USGA with my proposal of a free drop from unrepaired divots. It might make all the difference.

>

> Be sure to tell them about all your eagles!

As many as I have had the last two years, I haven't had any this year. They come in spurts, and I may not get another for two or three years. But yes, I did have five eagles two years ago and two Eagles last year.

> @Sawgrass said:

> What you’re “missing” is the fun of playing the course as you find it.

>

> And while some divot holes are obvious, you’re kidding yourself if you think people won’t disagree as to when other partially-recovered depressions qualify.

>

> It’s pretty obvious that this issue has been litigated for decades. Just relax and do your best.

I agree with this completely. I have come to appreciate the simple parts of the game like walking up to your ball with anticipation to see the lie and the type of shot to hit.

> @ssp said:

> > @Sawgrass said:

> > What you’re “missing” is the fun of playing the course as you find it.

> >

> > And while some divot holes are obvious, you’re kidding yourself if you think people won’t disagree as to when other partially-recovered depressions qualify.

> >

> > It’s pretty obvious that this issue has been litigated for decades. Just relax and do your best.

>

> I agree with this completely. I have come to appreciate the simple parts of the game like walking up to your ball with anticipation to see the lie and the type of shot to hit.

I think everybody does relax and just does the best they can with the golf course conditions. There are existing rules right now where people have disagreements , that is nothing new to the game, so I don't think that is a valid reason to not consider other changes. What counts is integrity and the willingness to do what is right. I think all the golfers who would be or are in favor of a free drop from an unrepaired divot have no problem playing by all the rules as they exist presently. They just see a better way to play the game in their own eyes.

> @ssp said:

> > @Sawgrass said:

> > What you’re “missing” is the fun of playing the course as you find it.

> >

> > And while some divot holes are obvious, you’re kidding yourself if you think people won’t disagree as to when other partially-recovered depressions qualify.

> >

> > It’s pretty obvious that this issue has been litigated for decades. Just relax and do your best.

>

> I agree with this completely. I have come to appreciate the simple parts of the game like walking up to your ball with anticipation to see the lie and the type of shot to hit.

Gee, you wouldn't want what some have suggested? Play LCP in the fairway at all times? How dare you actually enjoy walking up to your ball and seeing what challenge (aka lie) the game has given you. But wouldn't it be more enjoyable to have a perfect lie on every shot??

I hope y'all understood sarcasm. ?

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @Mikey5e said:

> It amazes me how polarized everybody gets in conversations like this. They will say whatever to try to prove their point. Getting a free drop from a divot is something that is inconceivable to those who don't think it should happen. It wouldn't make that big a difference in the scheme of things to anybody except for those who land in an unrepaired divot. Then, all of a sudden, people change their minds because it's happened to them. **The fact is, an unrepaired divot is a fault on the golf course just as ball marks are on the green.**

Exactly! Why aren't they up in arms about the new "you can repair anything on the green even if others can't even see the flaw" rule?

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @Mikey5e said:

> > It amazes me how polarized everybody gets in conversations like this. They will say whatever to try to prove their point. Getting a free drop from a divot is something that is inconceivable to those who don't think it should happen. It wouldn't make that big a difference in the scheme of things to anybody except for those who land in an unrepaired divot. Then, all of a sudden, people change their minds because it's happened to them. **The fact is, an unrepaired divot is a fault on the golf course just as ball marks are on the green.**

>

> Exactly! Why aren't they up in arms about the new "you can repair anything on the green even if others can't even see the flaw" rule?

The site seems to need your "expertise" elsewhere. Why not head off to the "Requesting a slow page load volunteer" thread and go get 'em, because here you're just, well, you're just a . . . .

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

> @Mikey5e said:

> I wonder if the folks in here who are opposed to a free drop from an unrepaired divot still can't get over the idea of being able to leave the flagstick in while putting. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hard time sleeping because of it.

No need to wonder. I think flagstick in option is a distinct improvement and I'm happy to lead the parade against relief from unrepaired divots.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @Mikey5e said:

> > It amazes me how polarized everybody gets in conversations like this. They will say whatever to try to prove their point. Getting a free drop from a divot is something that is inconceivable to those who don't think it should happen. It wouldn't make that big a difference in the scheme of things to anybody except for those who land in an unrepaired divot. Then, all of a sudden, people change their minds because it's happened to them. **The fact is, an unrepaired divot is a fault on the golf course just as ball marks are on the green.**

>

> Exactly! Why aren't they up in arms about the new "you can repair anything on the green even if others can't even see the flaw" rule?

I hate it. I’ve said it many times. Also hate the fact that you can be careless and move your ball on the green and not get a penalty.

Not my call though. And I certainly am not going to start threads and sub-threads about it.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

> @antip said:

> > @Mikey5e said:

> > I wonder if the folks in here who are opposed to a free drop from an unrepaired divot still can't get over the idea of being able to leave the flagstick in while putting. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hard time sleeping because of it.

>

> No need to wonder. I think flagstick in option is a distinct improvement and I'm happy to lead the parade against relief from unrepaired divots.

Exactly what do you think the benefits of leaving the flagstick in are?

> @Mikey5e said:

> > @antip said:

> > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > I wonder if the folks in here who are opposed to a free drop from an unrepaired divot still can't get over the idea of being able to leave the flagstick in while putting. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hard time sleeping because of it.

> >

> > No need to wonder. I think flagstick in option is a distinct improvement and I'm happy to lead the parade against relief from unrepaired divots.

>

> Exactly what do you think the benefits of leaving the flagstick in are?

> @Mikey5e said:

> > @antip said:

> > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > I wonder if the folks in here who are opposed to a free drop from an unrepaired divot still can't get over the idea of being able to leave the flagstick in while putting. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hard time sleeping because of it.

> >

> > No need to wonder. I think flagstick in option is a distinct improvement and I'm happy to lead the parade against relief from unrepaired divots.

>

I've offered my 2 cents worth in other threads but the potted version would comprise personal and collective benefits. The personal is I prefer it in most of the time because I think it provides a more precise target than the hole without flag. In the vicinity of the hole I want the ball rolling at nice pace at the precise centre of the hole, and the flagstick is the best indicator of that. So unless there is problem wind, awkward shadows or bad flag angles I prefer it in. The collective benefit is it is clearly aiding competition pace of play at our course, people have adjusted to become much more efficient than before (less standing around waiting for others), especially because you can get on with it without needed at least two people on the green. Most people around this area are leaving it in most of the time, and everyone is relaxed about fitting in with whatever preference others have. In sum, an excellent change that imposes no obligations on anyone.

> @Mikey5e said:

> > @antip said:

> > > @Mikey5e said:

> >

>

Of course, you could just look it up! https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2017/rules-modernization/explanation-for-each-major-rules-change-2019.pdf

Ball Played from the Putting Green Hits Unattended Flagstick in Hole

Current Rule: Under Rule 17-3, if a player makes a stroke on the putting green and the ball

then hits the unattended flagstick that was left in the hole, the player gets the general penalty.

Proposed Rule: Under new Rule 13.2b(3):

 There would no longer be a penalty if a ball played from the putting green hits an

unattended flagstick in the hole.

 Players would not be required to putt with the unattended flagstick in the hole; rather,

they would continue to have the choice to remove the flagstick before playing or to

have it attended.

Reasons for Change:

 Allowing a player to putt with the flagstick in the hole without fear of penalty should

generally help speed up play:

o For example, if a putt is long enough that the player cannot easily see the hole

unless the flagstick is left in, the player currently needs to wait for another person to

attend the flagstick even if it is the player’s turn to play or (in stroke play) if the

player is ready to play and it would save time to go ahead and do so.

o This change could also speed up play of some short tap-ins, as the player could

simply putt the ball into the hole without first removing and then replacing the

flagstick.

 When the players do not have caddies, the current Rule can result in considerable delay, such as:

o When the opponent (or the other player in stroke play) is raking a greenside bunker

and will be delayed for a minute or two before coming on to the green.

o When other players in stroke play are delayed in coming on to the green for other

reasons, such as a ball search, indecision about what club to use or shot to play, etc.

o When all players in the group have long putts and so will need to walk back and

forth to the hole to attend the flagstick for one another (which sometimes produces

uncertainty about who will or should attend for someone else).

 In match play, a player without a caddie would now be able to choose to putt with the

unattended flagstick in the hole rather than ask the opponent to attend the flagstick,

reducing the potential for dispute that can arise when the opponent attends for the

player (such as when the opponent fails to remove the flagstick and the ball hits it).

 On balance it is expected that there should be no advantage in being able to putt with

the unattended flagstick in the hole:

o In some cases the ball may strike the flagstick and bounce out of the hole when it

might otherwise have been holed, and

o In other cases the ball may hit the flagstick and finish in the hole when it might

otherwise have missed.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

> @Mikey5e said:

> I wonder if the folks in here who are opposed to a free drop from an unrepaired divot still can't get over the idea of being able to leave the flagstick in while putting. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hard time sleeping because of it.

I dislike the option because the constant in/out dialogue on every green takes time and uses energy better spent reading and making putts. However, I am more than happy having good opponents leave the flag in all the time. It makes it easier to beat them. ;-)

> @"sui generis" said:

> > @Mikey5e said:

> > > @antip said:

> > > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > I wonder if the folks in here who are opposed to a free drop from an unrepaired divot still can't get over the idea of being able to leave the flagstick in while putting. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hard time sleeping because of it.

> > >

> > > No need to wonder. I think flagstick in option is a distinct improvement and I'm happy to lead the parade against relief from unrepaired divots.

> >

> > Exactly what do you think the benefits of leaving the flagstick in are?

>

> Of course, you could just look it up! https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2017/rules-modernization/explanation-for-each-major-rules-change-2019.pdf

>

> Ball Played from the Putting Green Hits Unattended Flagstick in Hole

>

> Current Rule: Under Rule 17-3, if a player makes a stroke on the putting green and the ball

> then hits the unattended flagstick that was left in the hole, the player gets the general penalty.

>

> Proposed Rule: Under new Rule 13.2b(3):

>  There would no longer be a penalty if a ball played from the putting green hits an

> unattended flagstick in the hole.

>  Players would not be required to putt with the unattended flagstick in the hole; rather,

> they would continue to have the choice to remove the flagstick before playing or to

> have it attended.

>

> Reasons for Change:

>  Allowing a player to putt with the flagstick in the hole without fear of penalty should

> generally help speed up play:

> o For example, if a putt is long enough that the player cannot easily see the hole

> unless the flagstick is left in, the player currently needs to wait for another person to

> attend the flagstick even if it is the player’s turn to play or (in stroke play) if the

> player is ready to play and it would save time to go ahead and do so.

> o This change could also speed up play of some short tap-ins, as the player could

> simply putt the ball into the hole without first removing and then replacing the

> flagstick.

>  When the players do not have caddies, the current Rule can result in considerable delay, such as:

> o When the opponent (or the other player in stroke play) is raking a greenside bunker

> and will be delayed for a minute or two before coming on to the green.

> o When other players in stroke play are delayed in coming on to the green for other

> reasons, such as a ball search, indecision about what club to use or shot to play, etc.

> o When all players in the group have long putts and so will need to walk back and

> forth to the hole to attend the flagstick for one another (which sometimes produces

> uncertainty about who will or should attend for someone else).

>  In match play, a player without a caddie would now be able to choose to putt with the

> unattended flagstick in the hole rather than ask the opponent to attend the flagstick,

> reducing the potential for dispute that can arise when the opponent attends for the

> player (such as when the opponent fails to remove the flagstick and the ball hits it).

>  On balance it is expected that there should be no advantage in being able to putt with

> the unattended flagstick in the hole:

> o In some cases the ball may strike the flagstick and bounce out of the hole when it

> might otherwise have been holed, and

> o In other cases the ball may hit the flagstick and finish in the hole when it might

> otherwise have missed.

Would you care to make a concise version for Mikey without all that hot air?

> @

> @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > @"sui generis" said:

> > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > @antip said:

> > > > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > > I wonder if the folks in here who are opposed to a free drop from an unrepaired divot still can't get over the idea of being able to leave the flagstick in while putting. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hard time sleeping because of it.

> > > >

> > > > No need to wonder. I think flagstick in option is a distinct improvement and I'm happy to lead the parade against relief from unrepaired divots.

> > >

> > > Exactly what do you think the benefits of leaving the flagstick in are?

> >

> > Of course, you could just look it up! https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2017/rules-modernization/explanation-for-each-major-rules-change-2019.pdf

> >

> > Ball Played from the Putting Green Hits Unattended Flagstick in Hole

> >

> > Current Rule: Under Rule 17-3, if a player makes a stroke on the putting green and the ball

> > then hits the unattended flagstick that was left in the hole, the player gets the general penalty.

> >

> > Proposed Rule: Under new Rule 13.2b(3):

> >  There would no longer be a penalty if a ball played from the putting green hits an

> > unattended flagstick in the hole.

> >  Players would not be required to putt with the unattended flagstick in the hole; rather,

> > they would continue to have the choice to remove the flagstick before playing or to

> > have it attended.

> >

> > Reasons for Change:

> >  Allowing a player to putt with the flagstick in the hole without fear of penalty should

> > generally help speed up play:

> > o For example, if a putt is long enough that the player cannot easily see the hole

> > unless the flagstick is left in, the player currently needs to wait for another person to

> > attend the flagstick even if it is the player’s turn to play or (in stroke play) if the

> > player is ready to play and it would save time to go ahead and do so.

> > o This change could also speed up play of some short tap-ins, as the player could

> > simply putt the ball into the hole without first removing and then replacing the

> > flagstick.

> >  When the players do not have caddies, the current Rule can result in considerable delay, such as:

> > o When the opponent (or the other player in stroke play) is raking a greenside bunker

> > and will be delayed for a minute or two before coming on to the green.

> > o When other players in stroke play are delayed in coming on to the green for other

> > reasons, such as a ball search, indecision about what club to use or shot to play, etc.

> > o When all players in the group have long putts and so will need to walk back and

> > forth to the hole to attend the flagstick for one another (which sometimes produces

> > uncertainty about who will or should attend for someone else).

> >  In match play, a player without a caddie would now be able to choose to putt with the

> > unattended flagstick in the hole rather than ask the opponent to attend the flagstick,

> > reducing the potential for dispute that can arise when the opponent attends for the

> > player (such as when the opponent fails to remove the flagstick and the ball hits it).

> >  On balance it is expected that there should be no advantage in being able to putt with

> > the unattended flagstick in the hole:

> > o In some cases the ball may strike the flagstick and bounce out of the hole when it

> > might otherwise have been holed, and

> > o In other cases the ball may hit the flagstick and finish in the hole when it might

> > otherwise have missed.

>

> Would you care to make a concise version for Mikey without all that hot air?

You must have been reading my mind!

I have red studies that are showing holes being damaged by reaching in and out of the hole with the flagstick in. Those with larger hands rub on the side and wear it out.

On the other hand, there really aren't any negative affects to giving a free drop from an unrepaired divot.

> @"Mr. Bean" said:

> > @"sui generis" said:

> > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > @antip said:

> > > > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > > I wonder if the folks in here who are opposed to a free drop from an unrepaired divot still can't get over the idea of being able to leave the flagstick in while putting. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hard time sleeping because of it.

> > > >

> > > > No need to wonder. I think flagstick in option is a distinct improvement and I'm happy to lead the parade against relief from unrepaired divots.

> > >

> > > Exactly what do you think the benefits of leaving the flagstick in are?

> >

> > Of course, you could just look it up! https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/2017/rules-modernization/explanation-for-each-major-rules-change-2019.pdf

> >

> > Ball Played from the Putting Green Hits Unattended Flagstick in Hole

> >

> > Current Rule: Under Rule 17-3, if a player makes a stroke on the putting green and the ball

> > then hits the unattended flagstick that was left in the hole, the player gets the general penalty.

> >

> > Proposed Rule: Under new Rule 13.2b(3):

> >  There would no longer be a penalty if a ball played from the putting green hits an

> > unattended flagstick in the hole.

> >  Players would not be required to putt with the unattended flagstick in the hole; rather,

> > they would continue to have the choice to remove the flagstick before playing or to

> > have it attended.

> >

> > Reasons for Change:

> >  Allowing a player to putt with the flagstick in the hole without fear of penalty should

> > generally help speed up play:

> > o For example, if a putt is long enough that the player cannot easily see the hole

> > unless the flagstick is left in, the player currently needs to wait for another person to

> > attend the flagstick even if it is the player’s turn to play or (in stroke play) if the

> > player is ready to play and it would save time to go ahead and do so.

> > o This change could also speed up play of some short tap-ins, as the player could

> > simply putt the ball into the hole without first removing and then replacing the

> > flagstick.

> >  When the players do not have caddies, the current Rule can result in considerable delay, such as:

> > o When the opponent (or the other player in stroke play) is raking a greenside bunker

> > and will be delayed for a minute or two before coming on to the green.

> > o When other players in stroke play are delayed in coming on to the green for other

> > reasons, such as a ball search, indecision about what club to use or shot to play, etc.

> > o When all players in the group have long putts and so will need to walk back and

> > forth to the hole to attend the flagstick for one another (which sometimes produces

> > uncertainty about who will or should attend for someone else).

> >  In match play, a player without a caddie would now be able to choose to putt with the

> > unattended flagstick in the hole rather than ask the opponent to attend the flagstick,

> > reducing the potential for dispute that can arise when the opponent attends for the

> > player (such as when the opponent fails to remove the flagstick and the ball hits it).

> >  On balance it is expected that there should be no advantage in being able to putt with

> > the unattended flagstick in the hole:

> > o In some cases the ball may strike the flagstick and bounce out of the hole when it

> > might otherwise have been holed, and

> > o In other cases the ball may hit the flagstick and finish in the hole when it might

> > otherwise have missed.

>

> Would you care to make a concise version for Mikey without all that hot air?

Summary: it didn't happen. After a very brief discussion, the rules-makers decided that it wasn't warranted. No amount of whinging will change that decision in the near future (if ever). Just play on and stop delaying play with the arguments!

> @Sawgrass said:

> > @antip said:

> > > @LeoLeo99 said:

> > > Personally, someone offered me a million dollars if I can hole a 5 foot putt, I'm taking the flag out.

> >

> > I'd be shaking too much to take the flag out.

>

> Shaking in fear that I would lose my amateur status . . .

For a million I could suffer a few years of being a "pro".

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Back to Divots? Landed on a divot on Thursday. It was a divot that had been repaired by placing the scalp, back. It had dried and shrivelled up to a patch of dead grass that wasn't secured to the ground underneath it, whcih means probably at least 3-4 days ago, maybe more. It was also old enough to dry out and curl up a little that the back edge was curled blocking the ball a bit. Took a swing, good contact with my 52* wedge, and ppppttthhhhh. Goes half the distance it should have. I'm all for sanding in divots, and not replacing them with scalps that just simply won't heal, or leaving them as holes. At least you know what you're dealing with. Don't replace them. They're not going to grow back/re-attach.

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

> @SNIPERBBB said:

> > @Sawgrass said:

> > > @antip said:

> > > > @LeoLeo99 said:

> > > > Personally, someone offered me a million dollars if I can hole a 5 foot putt, I'm taking the flag out.

> > >

> > > I'd be shaking too much to take the flag out.

> >

> > Shaking in fear that I would lose my amateur status . . .

>

> For a million I could suffer a few years of being a "pro".

One of the guys from the pro shop at our club frequently plays in the member dogfight or walk-up games. Wins a few bets, loses a few. So I can't really imagine the loss of amateur status would be a huge downside to the 99% of amateur golfers who don't play in USGA tournaments. For a million or even 50 or 100 grand I'd imagine most would be OK with it!

> @Imp said:

> Back to Divots? Landed on a divot on Thursday. It was a divot that had been repaired by placing the scalp, back. It had dried and shrivelled up to a patch of dead grass that wasn't secured to the ground underneath it, whcih means probably at least 3-4 days ago, maybe more. It was also old enough to dry out and curl up a little that the back edge was curled blocking the ball a bit. Took a swing, good contact with my 52* wedge, and ppppttthhhhh. Goes half the distance it should have. I'm all for sanding in divots, and not replacing them with scalps that just simply won't heal, or leaving them as holes. At least you know what you're dealing with. Don't replace them. They're not going to grow back/re-attach.

One good practice is to step down the edges of the divot hole in order to minimize the odds of a ball to remain in the divot hole.

> @LeoLeo99 said:

> Personally, someone offered me a million dollars if I can hole a 5 foot putt, I'm taking the flag out.

And that's going to happen when? As opposed to the thousands of putts you will take without a million on the line?

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @nsxguy said:>

> > The divot is not the intended result of the striking of the ball.

> Neither is a pitch mark on the green.

>

You're such a one trick pony.

![](https://cdn.drawception.com/images/panels/2012/9-24/NBGkwBAeBa-2.png "")

Apparently, no matter how many times one explains that there are different rules for different parts of the course, nor how many times one explains that one rolls the ball on the green and goes through the air on to and from the fairway, you will just go back and forth with this same ridiculous argument.

So this will be my last response to you about this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and BTW, you're welcome,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

> @nsxguy said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > @nsxguy said:>

> > > The divot is not the intended result of the striking of the ball.

> > Neither is a pitch mark on the green.

> >

>

> You're such a one trick pony.

>

> ![](https://cdn.drawception.com/images/panels/2012/9-24/NBGkwBAeBa-2.png "")

>

> Apparently, no matter how many times one explains that there are different rules for different parts of the course, nor how many times one explains that one rolls the ball on the green and goes through the air on to and from the fairway, you will just go back and forth with this same ridiculous argument.

>

> So this will be my last response to you about this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and BTW, you're welcome,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

>

>

No matter how many times one explains that an unrepaired divot should not be a proper or normal part of a golf course, you just don't get it.

> @Mikey5e said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > @nsxguy said:>

> > > > The divot is not the intended result of the striking of the ball.

> > > Neither is a pitch mark on the green.

> > >

> >

> > You're such a one trick pony.

> >

> > ![](https://cdn.drawception.com/images/panels/2012/9-24/NBGkwBAeBa-2.png "")

> >

> > Apparently, no matter how many times one explains that there are different rules for different parts of the course, nor how many times one explains that one rolls the ball on the green and goes through the air on to and from the fairway, you will just go back and forth with this same ridiculous argument.

> >

> > So this will be my last response to you about this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and BTW, you're welcome,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

> >

> >

>

> No matter how many times one explains that an unrepaired divot should not be a proper or normal part of a golf course, you just don't get it.

I get it just fine. You just don't like that others don't agree with you.

Now back to ignoring your silliness,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

> @nsxguy said:

> > @Mikey5e said:

> > > @nsxguy said:

> > > > @Roadking2003 said:

> > > > > @nsxguy said:>

> > > > > The divot is not the intended result of the striking of the ball.

> > > > Neither is a pitch mark on the green.

> > > >

> > >

> > > You're such a one trick pony.

> > >

> > > ![](https://cdn.drawception.com/images/panels/2012/9-24/NBGkwBAeBa-2.png "")

> > >

> > > Apparently, no matter how many times one explains that there are different rules for different parts of the course, nor how many times one explains that one rolls the ball on the green and goes through the air on to and from the fairway, you will just go back and forth with this same ridiculous argument.

> > >

> > > So this will be my last response to you about this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and BTW, you're welcome,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

> > >

> > >

> >

> > No matter how many times one explains that an unrepaired divot should not be a proper or normal part of a golf course, you just don't get it.

>

> I get it just fine. You just don't like that others don't agree with you.

>

> Now back to ignoring your silliness,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Personally, I enjoy the back and forth of disagreeing, as long as it's respectful to one another. I understand both sides of the coin, but I just would prefer a free drop from a man-made Hazard on the golf course is all.