2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

45 minutes available - How do you warm up?

Better life choice - short game first or range first?

I am in the short game camp.> @Krt22 said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > Somebody disagreed with stretching? My lower back appreciates some good hip and other stretching - any such stretching I do is at home, so I don't usually include it when I'm thinking about pre-round stuff.

>

>

> I think it depends. Golf is a dynamic sport, doing 30 minutes of static stretching may actually be detrimental if carried out immediately before a round. 5 minutes of dynamic stretching could do the exact opposite.

>

>

Research shows they both help with distance gains and overall performance, but the most improvement comes from dynamic stretches. Again though, something is better than nothing though.

So, today I did my full warmup for the first time and had nothing from the first shot on the range. I’m talking bladed dead right don’t have it. I’m talking reservation for one in Dufferstown don’t have it. It got to a point on the chipping/putting green, after almost killing some innocent guy twice I might not even go out and play.

I saw an opening if I went off the back 9 first and just committed to getting through the round with whatever swing I could bandaid together as evidence of the worst I could do with my current skillset. I have had huge issues with consistent face control, hence the occasional bladed shots right.

So, I walked head held high into the bloodbath. Once I got to 16 I finally figured out something that would work consistently which was almost a Bryson no hinge in the left wrist type swing and we were off to the races.

I chipped and putted my a** off and turned what should have been a round in the 90-100 range to keeping it in the 70’s by one stroke even with a bogey on the last hole.

Let’s see how tomorrow goes...

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> @Krt22 said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > Somebody disagreed with stretching? My lower back appreciates some good hip and other stretching - any such stretching I do is at home, so I don't usually include it when I'm thinking about pre-round stuff.

>

>

> I think it depends. Golf is a dynamic sport, doing 30 minutes of static stretching may actually be detrimental if carried out immediately before a round. 5 minutes of dynamic stretching could do the exact opposite.

>

>

You are probably right. Kind of like range time to me - a little more focus, fewer balls can take as long as someone beating 40-50 one after the other. Maybe the same for stretching. Nothing I do is really strenuous or "exercise" but I can listen to some music and take my time and 30 minutes can go by pretty quickly, but I'd say one side of an album is about the usual average if at home.

Don't overdo hitting balls, just get the blood flowing. Get your heart rate up a little by walking around some. Then once you're warm, him some easy wedges. Then a couple 7's and a couple drivers. Play the first hole on the range, driver, 7, chip, whatever, then go putt. Lag a few til you get close then slam a few short ones in. Done. Then go to the 1st tee and play it just like you did on the range.

Everyones body is different and getting it loosened up (physically and mentally) is no exception. It takes you 6-7 holes to get it going according to your post. What are the issues on those holes. Driving, approaches, chipping, putting???? Not every one of these facets will be as affected by a warm up for your body. Short game will be about the course and getting use to the conditions where full swing will be about your body. I would tailor your warm up based upon what is taking the longest to come around. More short game if that is the issue or a longer body warm (stretches/full swings) up if that is the issue.

I hit the chipping/pitching area for 10 min to get the feel of great contact.

Hit the range with a 6iron. If I'm striking it well after a couple swings I hit driver both ways.

Hit the first tee club last for the mental image of the shot I want to hit.

Putt for a few min to get the speed.

Time varies but usually under 30 min.

• Like 1

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

I have enough trouble keeping a flood of swing thoughts from overwhelming me on the golf course. If I spent 45 minutes on a driving range (a place where thoughts about technique are usually put into practice) by my tee time I'd be in a completely useless mode.

If I'm limber (takes 5 minutes at the course, tops, since I spent half an hour stretching before leaving home) and I have a feel for the putting green speed (takes almost no time at my home course, maybe 5-10 minutes at an unfamiliar one) and know where the bottom of my swing is (usually takes just a half dozen or so pitch shots followed by a couple of practice full swings with a mid-iron) then I'm as warmed-up as I could ever possibly be. Fifteen minutes is about right, at my home course more like ten.

• Like 1

Today’s routine:

1. Dynamic Stretching

2. Heavy Club

3. Light Club Speed Drill

4. Putting

5. Chipping

6. Range - SW, 8, 5, FW (5 shots each)

Played the best round of golf I have in months (73 with over 50% GIR and Fairways) following my worst round in months yesterday (79 less than 33% GIR and Fairways)

egu15eyci0q8.jpeg

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Stretch for 5 min before you get in your car. Stretch for another 5 at the course

Putt for 5 minutes focusing on speed

Hit pitches for 5 minutes just feel your swing/contact for the day

Spend the next 10 on the range hitting controlled irons, always changing targets and going through routine

Hit controlled drivers for 5 minutes changing targets and going through routines

Practice Green Reading til tee time

• Like 1

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

• 2 months later...

Me and My bud have the same issue.... rushing to the tee instead of good warm up. I often say I'd give up playin a few extra holes for a warm up. Plus I got a bunch of injuries so body needs warming up and more important then golf performance lol.....

45 mins is a lot.... I'd call that a full warm up. I can get by on 15-20 mins easily and look to score on 1st hole.

Stretching wrists, back and easy swings

Chipping and putting most important to get the feel going but only 5 mins max needed.

2-3 easy shots with Driver, 8 iron and lob wedge and chip 10 balls on range and I'm ready.

I'll take driving easy for first couple holes cause I like to turn hard on it but still lookin for birds... which is usually determined by the 2nd shot into the green

Can't figure how to like my own posts

45 minutes is about my preferred warmup time, although 30 can work if I'm playing my home course where I know how balls react out of greenside rough and bunkers, in which case I'd skip the items marked (*). Here's my typical routine:

5 minutes of lag putting (uphill, downhil, sideways to tees, coins, or spots on the green, to gauge today's green speeds)

5 minutes of "make" putting (2 feet, 3 feet, 5 feet, lots of "see the ball go in the hole")

5 minutes of simple chipping (goal is to generate confidence & success in my mind)

*5 minutes of chipping from rough / difficult lies (if I'm at a new course)

*5 minutes of bunker shots (if I'm at a new course)

2-3 minutes of stretches and club-swinging on the range to further loosen my muscles now that they're warm, and build tempo

10-15 minutes total hitting 4-6 shots each with wedges, irons, and fairway woods (one day evens, next day odds)

5 minutes hitting drivers and 3-woods off of tees imagining target fairways

One final shot with my first tee club (usually driver or 3-wood, depending on course and day), hit well imagining first fairway target

Walk to tee and play golf!

I'm 61 with aches and pains. I have all the time in the world, but I don't stretch at the course. My swing will stretch out whatever needs to stretch that day. Start with some easy sand wedges, it's a heavy club. That usually loosens me up well enough. Then a few 90% shots with a 7 iron, a few with the 5 hybrid, couple with the 5 wood, a few with the driver. Unlike a lot of guys, I'm not swinging at 110% when I play. Maybe this is why I don't have to stretch everything out like all of the above posters. Anyway, if shots are flying well, then less is more. If things are haywire, I'll have to hit a few more, enough to decide if I have to start the round with my emergency swing. I'm not going to grind away trying to fix it. Most of the time the pre-round warmup has very little in common with how I play anyway. Just get loose and go play.

On the putting green, I just want to know the speed. I have a known stroke length that I expect to go 15 feet. So that is my first test. Then I'll try a few different paced-off lengths from 15 to 30 feet and if I can hit them the right distance, I'm ready. I don't see any benefit to practicing "makeable" putts, other than 2 or 3 just to know that things are functional. If you can't aim before you got to the course, now you're going to start trying to figure it out???

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Most of the time its because your swing is cold. It can be as easy as slowly getting your swing going and not swinging out of your shoes. I tend to play without a warm up. I take a couple of clubs and swing them together usually about ten swings. Nothing that resembles a golf swing, just warming up my back muscles. Then when it is go time, I focus on putting a decent swing on my ball for the first couple holes. Usually by the third hole, the body feels more relaxed and I am ready for the rest of the round.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

45 is too much for me at this point. I'd be kind of worn out for the 18. Id rather have only about 20 mins. Go to range start with pitch-chips, then half pitch, then full pitch (I usually use my 48 wedge for this). Then a few 8 or 7 irons, then a few hybrid , and a few driver. Next stop practise putting green to get a feel for the speed and any last minute checks on my setup/technique. I'd personally rather have no warm up then go as long as 45 mins.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball