Tourstriker Planemate

> @games said:

> > @dhc1 said:

> > I think I'm hitting the ball higher but shorter now that I've started used the PM and am focused on getting the handle left by rotating. I think its because I have less forward press at impact as I historically have a steep swing but have adjusted to hit down on the ball. Now that I think I'm flatter, I think I have more dynamic loft so it's a higher but shorter shot.

> >

> > Could be age as well though......sigh.

>

> Not necessarily. This is where "matchups" come in!

>

> When I learned to rotate my body more (flip less), I had to move to stronger grip (lead hand more on top; trail hand underneath) and put my ball position back in my stance.

>

> IMO, increased body rotation produces a more rounded arc to the swing, while the "hand flip" is more of a "curved line". If you increase your body's rotation, to optimize distance and direction, you probably have to make compensating changes to grip and/or ball placement. Possibly even change club length and/or lie angles!

I don't think i had a hand-flip and think it was the opposite. I think I was so focused on hitting down that I de-lofted the club quite a bit. Have to look at my trackman numbers before and after though.

Anyone else have both a Planemate and The Hanger?

Interested in others thoughts about the comparison.

I’ve found PM to be more ‘allowing’ of a stall and hit/flip in the moment (which then gives you great feedback in the form of a tangled mess around your arm). But is also far superior at giving lasting feels after it’s taken off.

Hanger is perhaps more ‘ruthless’ by nature of having the bar on your arm through the swing stopping a flip and by nature forcing you to rotate to hit the ball. But a bit like stabilisers on a bike I’ve found it’s not particularly easy to then ween yourself off the aid and still retain feels.

Interested to hear from others though!

• Like 1

> @drh90 said:

> Anyone else have both a Planemate and The Hanger?

>

> Interested in others thoughts about the comparison.

>

> I’ve found PM to be more ‘allowing’ of a stall and hit/flip in the moment (which then gives you great feedback in the form of a tangled mess around your arm). But is also far superior at giving lasting feels after it’s taken off.

>

> Hanger is perhaps more ‘ruthless’ by nature of having the bar on your arm through the swing stopping a flip and by nature forcing you to rotate to hit the ball. But a bit like stabilisers on a bike I’ve found it’s not particularly easy to then ween yourself off the aid and still retain feels.

>

> Interested to hear from others though!

I do not think you can flip what so ever with the planemate. I would say you can flip with the hangar, sure it provides feedback if it doesn't hit your lead forearm, but if you flip with the PM you get wrapped up.

• Like 1

> @"Ping Zings" said:

> > @SUNLINE said:

> > PlaneMate broke

> >

> > The club attachment clip snapped in two. Waiting to hear back fro Tour Striker

>

> Has this happened to anyone else?

They are really quick to send replacements on any aspect of the device. The clip broke on mine and they sent me 3 replacements free of charge.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> @drh90 said:

>

>

> I’ve found PM to be more ‘allowing’ of a stall and hit/flip in the moment (which then gives you great feedback in the form of a tangled mess around your arm). But is also far superior at giving lasting feels after it’s taken off.

>

> Hanger is perhaps more ‘ruthless’ by nature of having the bar on your arm through the swing stopping a flip and by nature forcing you to rotate to hit the ball. But a bit like stabilisers on a bike I’ve found it’s not particularly easy to then ween yourself off the aid and still retain feels.

>

I have both and was just going through old swings to look at how my progress is going. I would say the Hanger definitely gave me some OK looks with better rotation when using it, but I still flipped pretty hard before and after using. I think now that I’m using PM, the hanger could be very useful again, but I would say the PM is the superior product for multiple levels of instant feedback. Hanger isn’t going to fix an inside takeaway, help to prevent coming in steep, etc.

> @drh90 said:

>

>

>

>

I found transferring from hanger to normal swings diffiuclt, the hanger almost felt too forced and held off. PM also works a lot better on backswing than hanger. * i used a coat hanger not the actual hanger aid

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> Yeah back on track here... getting de-railed by this whole knock off PM thing.

>

>

> Can anybody tell me why - or if they experienced similar - I'm hitting the ball really well with the right finish position on the 8i using the PM, but when I move into say the 5w, my ball is massively cutting? I did change my grip to interlock because all else equal, I think it makes me rotate more and use hands less. I didn't hook or draw the ball once with my 8i doing this. But with longer clubs, I'm cutting the ball 30-40 yards, which I don't want to play that shot on course. If I switch back to regular overlap, ball goes pretty much straight or small push fade.

>

> Could/should I overlap with like Dr to 4i, then interlock 5i thru into wedges?

>

> Other reasons could be for whatever reason my wrist conditions with interlock is leaving me with an open face and I just don't realize it. I was trying to film the swing but my crappy tripod wasn't working last night.

I find it easiest to fire the hands with overlap/baseball grip vs interlock I’m assuming you’re the same way since you got a straight flight when you switched back to your reg grip.

> @schwollo said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > Yeah back on track here... getting de-railed by this whole knock off PM thing.

> >

> >

> > Can anybody tell me why - or if they experienced similar - I'm hitting the ball really well with the right finish position on the 8i using the PM, but when I move into say the 5w, my ball is massively cutting? I did change my grip to interlock because all else equal, I think it makes me rotate more and use hands less. I didn't hook or draw the ball once with my 8i doing this. But with longer clubs, I'm cutting the ball 30-40 yards, which I don't want to play that shot on course. If I switch back to regular overlap, ball goes pretty much straight or small push fade.

> >

> > Could/should I overlap with like Dr to 4i, then interlock 5i thru into wedges?

> >

> > Other reasons could be for whatever reason my wrist conditions with interlock is leaving me with an open face and I just don't realize it. I was trying to film the swing but my crappy tripod wasn't working last night.

>

> I find it easiest to fire the hands with overlap/baseball grip vs interlock I’m assuming you’re the same way since you got a straight flight when you switched back to your reg grip.

>

>

Yup, this is 100% confirmed. I played this past weekend with an interlock grip on every shot on my front 9. Was a massive disaster with my driver, 3w and 5w, but was okay for the irons. I switched back to overlap on the back 9 and my longer clubs straightened back out but my irons didn't seem to suffer too much. With the irons, interlocking gives me a straight ball to slight fades, but I can only hit draws with overlap.

I don't really want to play golf using two different grip styles but I may try? I don't think I'm going to play good golf interlocking with my driver. I rarely slice the ball anymore, and I could only hit massive cuts doing that. Ideally I'd keep my overlap grip and just keep working with the PM to use more body rotation and legs, and less hands.

• Like 1

I'm a little confused about the "relax" move. From the "illustration" swings in the videos it appears to be a wrist movement and the club head moves 6" (or so) down and back and then there is a big "loop" on the down swing from the inside. However, when an actual swing is made with a ball, the club head doesn't appear to move at the top and the downswing path doesn't move much back to the inside (if this all makes sense). Anyway, I know the "illustration" swings are exaggerated. But, perhaps someone can clarify if the "relax" part is a wrist movement, arm movement or combination of both?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Like 3

> @sixiron150 said:

> I'm a little confused about the "relax" move. From the "illustration" swings in the videos it appears to be a wrist movement and the club head moves 6" (or so) down and back and then there is a big "loop" on the down swing from the inside. However, when an actual swing is made with a ball, the club head doesn't appear to move at the top and the downswing path doesn't move much back to the inside (if this all makes sense). Anyway, I know the "illustration" swings are exaggerated. But, perhaps someone can clarify if the "relax" part is a wrist movement, arm movement or combination of both?

>

> Any help would be appreciated.

It’s a wrist movement. You relax the wrist to take tension off the band

• Like 1

> @sixiron150 said:

> I'm a little confused about the "relax" move. From the "illustration" swings in the videos it appears to be a wrist movement and the club head moves 6" (or so) down and back and then there is a big "loop" on the down swing from the inside. However, when an actual swing is made with a ball, the club head doesn't appear to move at the top and the downswing path doesn't move much back to the inside (if this all makes sense). Anyway, I know the "illustration" swings are exaggerated. But, perhaps someone can clarify if the "relax" part is a wrist movement, arm movement or combination of both?

>

> Any help would be appreciated.

I wondered the same, I can do the move great, but I don't see how it translates to the actual move we are trying to ingrain. When I ignored that protocol everything quickly improved.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I like mine so far. I don't get a lot of opportunities to hit the range or play, so I've practiced the day 1-3 protocols almost entirely indoors without a ball. I was at the range over the weekend (sans platemate) and had some encouraging results. Repeating some of the protocol drills outside with a ball (but again, no planemate) was really interesting.

I still have a longer way to go on the feeling of turning instead of flipping, but there was progression in the right direction. My takeaway was significantly better. Last year I had a few lessons where all I worked on was getting from P1 to P2 properly. I had some good success but wasn't able to really ingrain it. The Planemate has me getting in the exact position the instructor wanted.

• Like 1

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @sixiron150 said:

> > I'm a little confused about the "relax" move. From the "illustration" swings in the videos it appears to be a wrist movement and the club head moves 6" (or so) down and back and then there is a big "loop" on the down swing from the inside. However, when an actual swing is made with a ball, the club head doesn't appear to move at the top and the downswing path doesn't move much back to the inside (if this all makes sense). Anyway, I know the "illustration" swings are exaggerated. But, perhaps someone can clarify if the "relax" part is a wrist movement, arm movement or combination of both?

> >

> > Any help would be appreciated.

>

> I wondered the same, I can do the move great, but I don't see how it translates to the actual move we are trying to ingrain. When I ignored that protocol everything quickly improved.

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @sixiron150 said:

> > I'm a little confused about the "relax" move. From the "illustration" swings in the videos it appears to be a wrist movement and the club head moves 6" (or so) down and back and then there is a big "loop" on the down swing from the inside. However, when an actual swing is made with a ball, the club head doesn't appear to move at the top and the downswing path doesn't move much back to the inside (if this all makes sense). Anyway, I know the "illustration" swings are exaggerated. But, perhaps someone can clarify if the "relax" part is a wrist movement, arm movement or combination of both?

> >

> > Any help would be appreciated.

>

> I wondered the same, I can do the move great, but I don't see how it translates to the actual move we are trying to ingrain. When I ignored that protocol everything quickly improved.

Yes, this is the same for me. I’ve been told by my instructors that I shallow the club just fine. So the exaggerated “relax” move does not resonate with me. There are many feels to shallow, the move that works for me is GG’s “leave the hands up and turn the shoulders/externally rotate front knee” move. I guess it’s whatever you do to let the weight of the club head drop from the top. But I don’t think actually relaxing the wrists will work for most people unless you have OTT tendencies to begin with.

As for me, I’m stuck in driver and long club purgatory with the Planemate. I can’t hit my normal draw with my long clubs anymore! The mid and short irons are baby fades, but the fades turn into pushes and slices on the longer clubs. Before I started working with the PM, I found the perfect shaft to work drives both directions. Now that’s gone...soo frustrating.

Ping 410 LST *9 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 60R

Ping G *14.5 (+1), Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *20, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *23, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Adams XTD Forged 5-GW, Recoil 780 es F4

Vokey SM7 *56.14 F, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *60.12 D, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Ping Anser 2 Karsten TR, KBS CT Tour Black PVD

Been out this eve working protocol 5 and honestly feel like the relaxing is just a subtle move at fuller swing speed compared to protocol 3 off the tee and exaggerating the shallow

Don’t think you can post vids from iPhone otherwise I’d share the progress

Excited to see how / if any impact is made on Sunday in my round

D- Ping G410 SFT - Oban Iwasa 04 

3Wd - Ping G425 SFT - Ping Tour Stiff 

4# Srixon ZX5 Tour AD DI 95 Stiff

5+6# Srixon ZX5 - MMT 105 S

7-PW# Srixon ZX7 - MMT 105 S

50 - Vokey SM8

56 - TM MG3 Tiger Spec

P- Betti Queen B #12

> @willbones said:

> Anyone having toe shanks with this?

I don’t hit balls w the PM. Found that I’m better at just going through the protocols without a ball because anytime I tee a ball up with this contraption on, my club goes crashing into the ball. Also had one of our local pros try the PM and then try to hit balls and he couldn’t do it just justice as well.

> @Swisstrader98 said:

> > @willbones said:

> > Anyone having toe shanks with this?

> I don’t hit balls w the PM. Found that I’m better at just going through the protocols without a ball because anytime I tee a ball up with this contraption on, my club goes crashing into the ball. Also had one of our local pros try the PM and then try to hit balls and he couldn’t do it just justice as well.

>

I'd recommend hitting balls with it. It takes time but it really helps.

• Like 3

> @kobe123 said:

> > @Swisstrader98 said:

> > > @willbones said:

> > > Anyone having toe shanks with this?

> > I don’t hit balls w the PM. Found that I’m better at just going through the protocols without a ball because anytime I tee a ball up with this contraption on, my club goes crashing into the ball. Also had one of our local pros try the PM and then try to hit balls and he couldn’t do it just justice as well.

> >

>

> I'd recommend hitting balls with it. It takes time but it really helps.

>

Agreed, the feedback is great. If you can't hit balls with it on, it means you just have more work to do

• Like 3

> @Krt22 said:

> > @kobe123 said:

> > > @Swisstrader98 said:

> > > > @willbones said:

> > > > Anyone having toe shanks with this?

> > > I don’t hit balls w the PM. Found that I’m better at just going through the protocols without a ball because anytime I tee a ball up with this contraption on, my club goes crashing into the ball. Also had one of our local pros try the PM and then try to hit balls and he couldn’t do it just justice as well.

> > >

> >

> > I'd recommend hitting balls with it. It takes time but it really helps.

> >

>

> Agreed, the feedback is great. If you can't hit balls with it on, it means you just have more work to do

100% if you can't hit balls with it you're doing it incorrectly. It has taken me a good two weeks but I'm getting a little better.

• Like 1

Same. I had some decent feels the first couple protocols and then my swing went to the garbage. By not getting deep enough on the backswing, when I started rotating, I was coming massively over the top - like shaft coming down in line with my *lead* forearm (from DTL). My follow through is balanced and I was ending up with the band in the proper spot, not crossed up, so I thought everything was ok and I chalked the nasty ball striking up to new feels. But when I looked on video, I was shocked at the horrendous disaster my swing had become.

Before people get in an uproar, I’m not trashing the PM at all. I think it’s a fantastic device, but I would just say that it’s extra important to video yourself or have someone watch you to correct/adjust in real time. My swing isn’t wrecked and I’m confident that the PM will benefit me so I’m going to continue to use it. Now I know for the future that I need to have checkpoints along the way so I’m ingraining proper moves and not “fooling” the PM.

• Like 3

> @NovoWRX said:

> I feel great on the earlier protocols, but around days 5 and 6 I just can't do anything. My transition is absolute trash and can not figure out how to get myself started into the downswing to even be able to start rotating properly. Absolutely frozen at the top of the backswing.

I’m right there with you.

I’ve gone through all protocols using the planemate. Haven’t been able to hit balls with it yet but it’s worked wonders, I was habitually a roll the fore arms/club laid off/ stuck behind flipper with early extension. But now I can take it back much more vertical which allows me to shallow it better.

I’m working on some proper videos for a before and after but it really does work.

However I am struggling with the last protocol where you need to shallow/relax the wrists and shift pressure, this is leading to thin strokes when I shallow and don’t shift my weight forward.

I’m very confident that if I can actually hit some balls with it soon then that will change. I just don’t want to look like an idiot at the driving range haha!

• Like 2

> @danielt823 said:

> I’ve gone through all protocols using the planemate. Haven’t been able to hit balls with it yet but it’s worked wonders, I was habitually a roll the fore arms/club laid off/ stuck behind flipper with early extension. But now I can take it back much more vertical which allows me to shallow it better.

>

> I’m working on some proper videos for a before and after but it really does work.

>

> However I am struggling with the last protocol where you need to shallow/relax the wrists and shift pressure, this is leading to thin strokes when I shallow and don’t shift my weight forward.

>

> I’m very confident that if I can actually hit some balls with it soon then that will change. I just don’t want to look like an idiot at the driving range haha!

You’ll look like an idiot at the driving range no matter what. Wearing the belt with the band attached to your club is a total attention getter, and you look like a total rookie out there with it on. BUT. Once you stripe a couple you won’t care- I hate going to the range without it now. The instant feedback is worth all the goofy looks.

• Like 3