Tourstriker Planemate

> @fjk said:

> If you are shanking:

>

> Slow down and go back to the earlier protocols. Day 1.

>

> Slow down.

>

> It’s a body position issue and if you’re having face control issues same deal. Day 1. Slow down the swing.

I think this is the correct advice. Going from the 4th day protocol video...your right trail wrist should be still bent back at impact and rehinging with it still bent back so you have to fight the urge to flatten it. I bet money that you are pushing hard with your trail wrist and bringing the hosel out to the ball

Make sure the chipping band is actually 5 inches down the shaft can make a big difference. If you let it creep up too high that’s actually when I have experienced the disconnect you folks are describing.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

I wonder too if it's because I'm a LH golfer but I'm right hand dominate. My "swing" comes much more from my lead side than it does my back side. So everything I need to feel or practice I tend to do in terms of my lead hand, lead leg.. hip.. and so forth.

Wonder if my feels should be more like, "stick man" swing? I already have that feels for my take away and backswing (no arm bend, barely any feels of wrist c0cking) but maybe I need to feel this a little bit in my downswing so my brain doesn't try to use my hands to square the face up? It's just irking me so badly that I was horrible with the chipping band on, better with the iron band on, then 0 issues with the band removed. I mean, maybe my swing wasn't 100% fundamentally sound with band off, but I was making crisp contact, shanks gone, flight pretty good.

Perhaps I need to get my swing on video with the band on for you guys to check out. I don't think my instructor is like "certified" to teach with it, although he does preach the same things as far as rotation goes (he's a GG certified teacher, really good stuff).

> @Swisstrader98 said:

> I’m in the same or a similar boat here. Can’t really hit balls w the PM. Im actually a decent ball striker to begin with but w the PM on, i basically crash into the ball, ball goes dead left and literally a worm burner. I’m also not putting the ball in a tee as recommended so that might be causing the issue but a bit frustrating to think you’re in all the right positions but can’t hit the ball.

>

> Might be too much tension on the band or something else but def frustrating.

Are you having this problem with the day 1 protocol?

Starting to ingrain the feels while not cheating (looking back to watch the move versus keeping focus on my dimple). My short game has never been better. My putting has even improved, but now the concentrated work on the full swing begins.

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> Got PM on the range today for first time. Have a few questions for you guys:

>

> 1)With just the wedge band... I was shanking the ball like crazy. The longer iron band it went well but I was just terrible with the short band. Here's how I had it set up. It felt like the force wanted to yank my club face open at impact? I kind of have short arms relative to my torso length so I wonder if there's too much tension on the band or something.

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/hjZTQiEl.jpg "")

>

> 2) Any tips for the finish/follow thru? I constantly keep finishing with the band on my bottom wrist, as opposed to on my top forearm, kind of like this:

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/YXfbKv1l.jpg "")

>

> Do I just need to do the follow thru drill a million times (the higher finish one) or is this happening because I'm still not rotating enough?

For me, it was really important to get the shaft attachment on perpendicular to the clubface and with the tension just right, so that the band doesn't create too much sideways resistance at impact which will pull the clubface open.

However, I had no problems with getting into the finishing position of the Day 1 and 2 protocols. If the band is on the bottom wrist on the following through, it seems like you let your wrist breakdown/cup/flip on impact or follow-through. Just keep that lead wrist straight and arms like ">" in front your chest. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Ping 410 LST *9 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 60R

Ping G *14.5 (+1), Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *20, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *23, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Adams XTD Forged 5-GW, Recoil 780 es F4

Vokey SM7 *56.14 F, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *60.12 D, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Ping Anser 2 Karsten TR, KBS CT Tour Black PVD

> @Z1ggy16 said:

>

> Wonder if my feels should be more like, "stick man" swing?

Yeah, that's how I started with Day 1, felt like a "stick man." It feels like putting with a wedge, kind of like Dave Pelz's pendulum putting stroke with the arms like this "v < v >." But then you can build more of an athletic movement into it with weight shift and more shoulder rotation, then it'll feel like more of an iron swing.

Ping 410 LST *9 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 60R

Ping G *14.5 (+1), Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *20, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Callaway Apex Hybrid '16 *23, Matrix Red Tie HQ3 S

Adams XTD Forged 5-GW, Recoil 780 es F4

Vokey SM7 *56.14 F, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Vokey SM7 *60.12 D, UST Recoil 110 F4 #8

Ping Anser 2 Karsten TR, KBS CT Tour Black PVD

I definitely had the band flip under a ton at first once I moved to full swings on Protocol 5, and still do with the driver protocol. This is definitely showing a swing fault (discussed heavily within the protocols) so keep working at it!! You gotta turn way left with the handle low through/post impact, which is why Protocol 1 is the foundation.

The band flip happens to me when I stop rotating on my downswing and just swing my arms around my body. You've really got to get your whole body moving.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> I wonder too if it's because I'm a LH golfer but I'm right hand dominate. My "swing" comes much more from my lead side than it does my back side. So everything I need to feel or practice I tend to do in terms of my lead hand, lead leg.. hip.. and so forth.

>

> Wonder if my feels should be more like, "stick man" swing? I already have that feels for my take away and backswing (no arm bend, barely any feels of wrist c0cking) but maybe I need to feel this a little bit in my downswing so my brain doesn't try to use my hands to square the face up? It's just irking me so badly that I was horrible with the chipping band on, better with the iron band on, then 0 issues with the band removed. I mean, maybe my swing wasn't 100% fundamentally sound with band off, but I was making crisp contact, shanks gone, flight pretty good.

>

> Perhaps I need to get my swing on video with the band on for you guys to check out. I don't think my instructor is like "certified" to teach with it, although he does preach the same things as far as rotation goes (he's a GG certified teacher, really good stuff).

Well, I’m left handed but play righty. What I find is that with the PM it doesn’t feel like a regular swing with a free release. A drill/chip feels rather cumbersome, slow, and stiff-armed. I try to remember that I’m ingraining a path and feel, not judging the quality or distance of the shot. However, on the course my irons are going further, and my miss has become a straight push rather than a pull-hook.

> @fjk said:

> > @Swisstrader98 said:

> > I’m in the same or a similar boat here. Can’t really hit balls w the PM. Im actually a decent ball striker to begin with but w the PM on, i basically crash into the ball, ball goes dead left and literally a worm burner. I’m also not putting the ball in a tee as recommended so that might be causing the issue but a bit frustrating to think you’re in all the right positions but can’t hit the ball.

> >

> > Might be too much tension on the band or something else but def frustrating.

>

> Are you having this problem with the day 1 protocol?

>

No prob with chipping balls, but full swing hitting of balls is a bit of a disaster. Also had one of the pros at my course put the thing on and he also couldn’t hit the ball with the PM on.

Are there people here that are hitting full shots with the PM and flushing the ball?

I am with my homemade version. Imo if you haven’t tried swinging with “keeping your hands up” it’s going to be a absolute struggle for a while as in months. Gg should really join up with the Martin and David to give more downswing instruction. The device puts the club in a position that if you ever followed Dana Dalhquist says the body will respond and rotate. If you pull hard on the club to get it back in front of you..you will struggle mightily. If you have a aggressive weight shift you will struggle just to name a couple. This isn’t a device that is offering a tweak to your swing..it’s a totally different swing model.

> @willbones said:

> To any of you guys that are using the PM - has anyone transferred anything to their actual swing yet? Any noticeable improvement in ball striking?

Chipping, pitching, and sand play is the best it’s ever been. Working on transferring to the full swing now.

> @Swisstrader98 said:

> > @fjk said:

> > > @Swisstrader98 said:

> > > I’m in the same or a similar boat here. Can’t really hit balls w the PM. Im actually a decent ball striker to begin with but w the PM on, i basically crash into the ball, ball goes dead left and literally a worm burner. I’m also not putting the ball in a tee as recommended so that might be causing the issue but a bit frustrating to think you’re in all the right positions but can’t hit the ball.

> > >

> > > Might be too much tension on the band or something else but def frustrating.

> >

> > Are you having this problem with the day 1 protocol?

> >

>

> No prob with chipping balls, but full swing hitting of balls is a bit of a disaster. Also had one of the pros at my course put the thing on and he also couldn’t hit the ball with the PM on.

>

> Are there people here that are hitting full shots with the PM and flushing the ball?

Have you tried slowing down? It’s been awhile since I watched the protocol videos but iirc they talk about backing off/slowing down if having issues and going back to a previous protocol if needed.

> @GoGoErky said:

> > @Swisstrader98 said:

> > > @fjk said:

> > > > @Swisstrader98 said:

> > > > I’m in the same or a similar boat here. Can’t really hit balls w the PM. Im actually a decent ball striker to begin with but w the PM on, i basically crash into the ball, ball goes dead left and literally a worm burner. I’m also not putting the ball in a tee as recommended so that might be causing the issue but a bit frustrating to think you’re in all the right positions but can’t hit the ball.

> > > >

> > > > Might be too much tension on the band or something else but def frustrating.

> > >

> > > Are you having this problem with the day 1 protocol?

> > >

> >

> > No prob with chipping balls, but full swing hitting of balls is a bit of a disaster. Also had one of the pros at my course put the thing on and he also couldn’t hit the ball with the PM on.

> >

> > Are there people here that are hitting full shots with the PM and flushing the ball?

>

> Have you tried slowing down? It’s been awhile since I watched the protocol videos but iirc they talk about backing off/slowing down if having issues and going back to a previous protocol if needed.

Same. I do position freezes, super slow, slow, and then I start to move up to a pitching tempo and build up to full speed from there.

• Like 1

> @willbones said:

> To any of you guys that are using the PM - has anyone transferred anything to their actual swing yet? Any noticeable improvement in ball striking?

Yes, but . . .

Improvement is noticeable, but changes on the course are not necessarily linear. Because my grooved constellation of faults would result in my early extending and raising the handle to keep from burying the club in the ground, my divots were always toe first (v-shaped), even if I hit the ball solidly and on line. After working with the PM and improving my pivot and shallowing more in transition, more of my divots show the leading edge of the club hitting the turf level, which tells me that the shaft is staying on plane better. Not all of them, but it’s a process. Also, I’ve spent so much of my golf playing for a vicious hook that I’m missing right a lot. Which I think is actually an improvement.

To the questions about hitting full shots with the PM, while evidently it is possible, I don’t think that is a measure of success with the PM, at least for me. I’m happy to be able to feel what I feel on partial shots and hope to consolidate my gains with the short band protocols before moving on.

• Like 1

> @howellhandmade said:

> > @willbones said:

> > To any of you guys that are using the PM - has anyone transferred anything to their actual swing yet? Any noticeable improvement in ball striking?

>

> Yes, but . . .

>

> Improvement is noticeable, but changes on the course are not necessarily linear. Because my grooved constellation of faults would result in my early extending and raising the handle to keep from burying the club in the ground, my divots were always toe first (v-shaped), even if I hit the ball solidly and on line. After working with the PM and improving my pivot and shallowing more in transition, more of my divots show the leading edge of the club hitting the turf level, which tells me that the shaft is staying on plane better. Not all of them, but it’s a process. Also, I’ve spent so much of my golf playing for a vicious hook that I’m missing right a lot. Which I think is actually an improvement.

>

> To the questions about hitting full shots with the PM, while evidently it is possible, I don’t think that is a measure of success with the PM, at least for me. I’m happy to be able to feel what I feel on partial shots and hope to consolidate my gains with the short band protocols before moving on.

>

I do a day with it and a day without it and take video to make sure I am hitting the right checkpoints when the PlaneMate is off. It’s great that the ghost hands effect works, but for it to be a consistent and lasting change I have to be able to hit them with my own feels.

This morning was my first time doing full swing with no band and I hit some worldys in terms of quality of strike.

I just use my swing thoughts to aid my tempo and say them in my head as I swing and then gaze lovingly at the results:

“Out, Up, Relax and Rotate”

• Like 1

> @willbones said:

I haven't hit a ball with mine yet, I didnt hit any balls at all in the last 8 days since i last played, just did protocols (Without ball) and slow motion swings stopping at p2, top of backswing then swing to follow through - which i did every day, probably for around 10 to 15 minutes a day.

Played yesterday and i noticed a significant change in my swing and improvement in my ball striking, not meaning to toot my own horn but being scratch my ball striking is pretty decent anyway, but my ball flight had much less curve to it, strike was improved, my angle of attack less shallow (taking nice divot after the ball rather than brush the grass like normal). Been fighting a hook off the tee for months and months, didn't even come close to a big draw let alone a hook. I could even hit a fade at will which i haven't been able to do for a long time.

I am amazed at the difference it has made in such a short period of time especially without hitting balls. My takeaway is significantly wider and face is squarer at the top. I am genuinely extremely excited to see what happens in the next few weeks and am going to stick to indoor swinging with it. Will try and get some video in the next week or so to see the changes.

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

> @GolfChannel said:

> > @willbones said:

> > To any of you guys that are using the PM - has anyone transferred anything to their actual swing yet? Any noticeable improvement in ball striking?

>

> Chipping, pitching, and sand play is the best it’s ever been. Working on transferring to the full swing now.

>

>

Same. I have not done any full swing work yet either (just got to day 5), but my wedge play has absolutely improved. Crisper contact, hands existing lower, more rotation, better balance.

> @Negncic said:

> Wow. I just went to order a Planemate and it is backordered until January 8, 2020.

Wow good thing I got mine lol.

I do have to say, my wedge play was really good this weekend but everything else was comically bad, worst I've played in a looooong time. I think this really is a total rebuild of the swing. Good thing season is basically over for me and I can spend the next 5 months using this daily to retrain my mind-muscle connection. I think I'll have to post a vid in here to make sure I'm actually using this thing correctly.

• Like 2

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @Negncic said:

> > Wow. I just went to order a Planemate and it is backordered until January 8, 2020.

>

> Wow good thing I got mine lol.

>

> I do have to say, my wedge play was really good this weekend but everything else was comically bad, worst I've played in a looooong time. I think this really is a total rebuild of the swing. Good thing season is basically over for me and I can spend the next 5 months using this daily to retrain my mind-muscle connection. I think I'll have to post a vid in here to make sure I'm actually using this thing correctly.

I’m in the same boat. Wedge play has dramatically improved but overall my game has gotten worse over the last 4 weeks since I began using the PM. I can’t figure it out. Going to stick with it for a while and see if I can turn a corner.

> @StillCantPutt said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > @Negncic said:

> > > Wow. I just went to order a Planemate and it is backordered until January 8, 2020.

> >

> > Wow good thing I got mine lol.

> >

> > I do have to say, my wedge play was really good this weekend but everything else was comically bad, worst I've played in a looooong time. I think this really is a total rebuild of the swing. Good thing season is basically over for me and I can spend the next 5 months using this daily to retrain my mind-muscle connection. I think I'll have to post a vid in here to make sure I'm actually using this thing correctly.

>

> I’m in the same boat. Wedge play has dramatically improved but overall my game has gotten worse over the last 4 weeks since I began using the PM. I can’t figure it out. Going to stick with it for a while and see if I can turn a corner.

>

Others can correct me but I think for guys like me (us?) who might be used to squaring the face up with our arms & hands... the planemate quite literally forces you to use the legs and body rotation to do this, with what to me quite literally feels like zero arm and hand movement, almost like to use the trainer properly, I make a downswing feeling absolutely no unhinging of my arm/hand joints. Very "one piece" or "Stickman" kind of feels throughout the *entire* swing. When done on a full swing it feels completely powerless but it produces the results desired as far as the ball flight and finishing position are concerned. I think this is why my short pitches have gotten really good... because distance is of no concern to me.... I'm hitting nice little nippers that one hop stop.

I think I'll make much more progress doing a lot of no ball swings inside, but also hitting little punch PW shots that go 70-80 yards all winter on the indoor sim. Going outside and hitting balls.... our brain or at least my brain, still wants to just kind of hit the ball 100%. Going to the range and paying $10 to hit 75 balls that go 60-70 yards feels very... anemic. It's tough to mentally accept what you know needs to be done to really see improvement. I think Monte once told a group of us during a range session that when we are making changes to not hit our 7i's for more than about 100 yards... and see a perfect result 5 or 6 times in a row before a full swing is made.

• Like 1

> @Z1ggy16 said:

> > @StillCantPutt said:

> > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > @Negncic said:

> > > > Wow. I just went to order a Planemate and it is backordered until January 8, 2020.

> > >

> > > Wow good thing I got mine lol.

> > >

> > > I do have to say, my wedge play was really good this weekend but everything else was comically bad, worst I've played in a looooong time. I think this really is a total rebuild of the swing. Good thing season is basically over for me and I can spend the next 5 months using this daily to retrain my mind-muscle connection. I think I'll have to post a vid in here to make sure I'm actually using this thing correctly.

> >

> > I’m in the same boat. Wedge play has dramatically improved but overall my game has gotten worse over the last 4 weeks since I began using the PM. I can’t figure it out. Going to stick with it for a while and see if I can turn a corner.

> >

>

> Others can correct me but I think for guys like me (us?) who might be used to squaring the face up with our arms & hands... the planemate quite literally forces you to use the legs and body rotation to do this, with what to me quite literally feels like zero arm and hand movement, almost like to use the trainer properly, I make a downswing feeling absolutely no unhinging of my arm/hand joints. Very "one piece" or "Stickman" kind of feels throughout the *entire* swing. When done on a full swing it feels completely powerless but it produces the results desired as far as the ball flight and finishing position are concerned. I think this is why my short pitches have gotten really good... because distance is of no concern to me.... I'm hitting nice little nippers that one hop stop.

>

> I think I'll make much more progress doing a lot of no ball swings inside, but also hitting little punch PW shots that go 70-80 yards all winter on the indoor sim. Going outside and hitting balls.... our brain or at least my brain, still wants to just kind of hit the ball 100%. **Going to the range and paying $10 to hit 75 balls that go 60-70 yards feels very... anemic.** It's tough to mentally accept what you know needs to be done to really see improvement. I think Monte once told a group of us during a range session that when we are making changes to not hit our 7i's for more than about 100 yards... and see a perfect result 5 or 6 times in a row before a full swing is made.

I feel the same way about paying for that bucket. I got lucky and found a course near my house that has a short game area I can just throw 10 balls down and hit anywhere from 115 in to a pin stuck in the ground.

I do that for a while then go hit full shots at the driving range. I have spent as much as a couple hours in the short game area and didn't even realize that much time has past.

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

> @sprcoop said:

> > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > @StillCantPutt said:

> > > > @Z1ggy16 said:

> > > > > @Negncic said:

> > > > > Wow. I just went to order a Planemate and it is backordered until January 8, 2020.

> > > >

> > > > Wow good thing I got mine lol.

> > > >

> > > > I do have to say, my wedge play was really good this weekend but everything else was comically bad, worst I've played in a looooong time. I think this really is a total rebuild of the swing. Good thing season is basically over for me and I can spend the next 5 months using this daily to retrain my mind-muscle connection. I think I'll have to post a vid in here to make sure I'm actually using this thing correctly.

> > >

> > > I’m in the same boat. Wedge play has dramatically improved but overall my game has gotten worse over the last 4 weeks since I began using the PM. I can’t figure it out. Going to stick with it for a while and see if I can turn a corner.

> > >

> >

> > Others can correct me but I think for guys like me (us?) who might be used to squaring the face up with our arms & hands... the planemate quite literally forces you to use the legs and body rotation to do this, with what to me quite literally feels like zero arm and hand movement, almost like to use the trainer properly, I make a downswing feeling absolutely no unhinging of my arm/hand joints. Very "one piece" or "Stickman" kind of feels throughout the *entire* swing. When done on a full swing it feels completely powerless but it produces the results desired as far as the ball flight and finishing position are concerned. I think this is why my short pitches have gotten really good... because distance is of no concern to me.... I'm hitting nice little nippers that one hop stop.

> >

> > I think I'll make much more progress doing a lot of no ball swings inside, but also hitting little punch PW shots that go 70-80 yards all winter on the indoor sim. Going outside and hitting balls.... our brain or at least my brain, still wants to just kind of hit the ball 100%. **Going to the range and paying $10 to hit 75 balls that go 60-70 yards feels very... anemic.** It's tough to mentally accept what you know needs to be done to really see improvement. I think Monte once told a group of us during a range session that when we are making changes to not hit our 7i's for more than about 100 yards... and see a perfect result 5 or 6 times in a row before a full swing is made.

>

> I feel the same way about paying for that bucket. I got lucky and found a course near my house that has a short game area I can just throw 10 balls down and hit anywhere from 115 in to a pin stuck in the ground.

>

> I do that for a while then go hit full shots at the driving range. I have spent as much as a couple hours in the short game area and didn't even realize that much time has past.

Unfortunately I don't have that option. Just places that sell buckets of finite amount. One range has a small pitching area, but it's not that close to my house and they don't always mow it down to fairway length. It's also right near the practice bunker so if you happen to blade/shank one, you're talking about possibly nailing somebody who isn't looking.

Rory's down with this, apparently ...

![](https://i.imgur.com/6Qud0tc.png "")

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

One suggestion to Martin and the PM guys:

I believe PM users would benefit from a protocol that focuses JUST on the transition from “restrict to relax”. This is such a critical component of the whole PM training and I believe one area that’s a bit open to interpretation (is the relax move as a result of hands dropping, squat ala GG motion, softening of wrists, etc) that I think it kinda gets lost in the sauce and there’s not as much focus as I believe there should be with this part of the swing.

So for myself, I’ve started to do a drill in slow mo where I go from the top of the backswing and then with transitioning to the forward swing, aka the relax portion of the swing, I stop and just repeat that transition 30 times such that I better understand and groove that part of the swing. For me personally, that’s the toughest part to get right.

Just a thought but others might want to give it a go.

• Like 1