Best Players Irons '19

drvrwdge

> @BCULAW said:

> > @balls_deep said:

> > > @ReidThompson said:

> > > For whatever reason, I actually didn't think the 785s felt very good. Hot Metals, JGR HF2s, Titleist all felt way better.

> >

> > Did you hit them indoors or outdoors? They feel way better off real turf. Amazingly soft clubs. Agree with the above they are directionally fantastic. I did mention that I found they were a bit draw bias for me and I have since found out that the issue was more so with shaft. Realized I needed a much stiffer profile via Mizuno shaft optimizer. That said I haven’t hit them and had them out perform others for my swing. Mizuno and titleist seem to work better for me. Not sure why because I want to play Srixon. 785 is the absolute perfect blend of playability and forgiveness.

>

> Agree with this completely. 785s were my first Srixons after owning nearly everything else. Read all the race reviews about the z45 and z65 series, and hit both A TON in the indoor simulator, but never purchased because I thought they felt harsh and sounded tinny.

>

> Well, I got a deal on the 785s I couldn't pass up, and could not believe how awesome they felt out on the course. Probably the best feeling irons I ever hit. Fun y thing is, I hot some zforged today in the shop and was reminded how bad they felt indoors. I bet they are butter on grass, though.

>

> I'd be shocked if anyone, properly fit, did not think these irons felt awesk e and performed incredibly well.

I tried the 785 at a fitting and they didn't work for me. t100 and mmc both felt and flew better

> @aquapig said:

> Hard to believe people spend good money on brand new clubs without hitting them on grass.

>

> I made that mistake once ..never again.

Where do you go to hit off grass? I have PGA SS, Golf Galaxy, Golftec and a local well stocked golf store but they are all of course indoor only. Demo days seem to be all spread out across several months of the summer so I have never been able to find a good spot to test fit irons off grass. Any help?

> @Bamabowtie said:

> > @aquapig said:

> > Hard to believe people spend good money on brand new clubs without hitting them on grass.

> >

> > I made that mistake once ..never again.

>

> Where do you go to hit off grass? I have PGA SS, Golf Galaxy, Golftec and a local well stocked golf store but they are all of course indoor only. Demo days seem to be all spread out across several months of the summer so I have never been able to find a good spot to test fit irons off grass. Any help?

Where are you located?

> @aquapig said:

> > @Bamabowtie said:

> > > @aquapig said:

> > > Hard to believe people spend good money on brand new clubs without hitting them on grass.

> > >

> > > I made that mistake once ..never again.

> >

> > Where do you go to hit off grass? I have PGA SS, Golf Galaxy, Golftec and a local well stocked golf store but they are all of course indoor only. Demo days seem to be all spread out across several months of the summer so I have never been able to find a good spot to test fit irons off grass. Any help?

>

> Where are you located?

Know any place in the Dallas-Fort Worth area? I have fell madly in love with the Blue Prints and want to test them on grass before making any decisions.

> @TXTrapLord said:

> > @aquapig said:

> > > @Bamabowtie said:

> > > > @aquapig said:

> > > > Hard to believe people spend good money on brand new clubs without hitting them on grass.

> > > >

> > > > I made that mistake once ..never again.

> > >

> > > Where do you go to hit off grass? I have PGA SS, Golf Galaxy, Golftec and a local well stocked golf store but they are all of course indoor only. Demo days seem to be all spread out across several months of the summer so I have never been able to find a good spot to test fit irons off grass. Any help?

> >

> > Where are you located?

>

> Know any place in the Dallas-Fort Worth area? I have fell madly in love with the Blue Prints and want to test them on grass before making any decisions.

Sorry I do not.

> @aquapig said:

> Hard to believe people spend good money on brand new clubs without hitting them on grass.

>

> I made that mistake once ..never again.

So its hard to believe people do this but you did it yourself? Not trying to stir the pot here but if you have done it yourself then how is it hard to believe that some other person would do it. Educate them on why they should not do it.

Titleist TS3 8.5* Diamana D+ 70X Titleist TS2 15* Diamana D+ 80X Titleist 915 Hd 20.5* Diamana D+ 100X Titleist T100 4-PW X100 Titleist Vokey SM7 50.12F X100 Titleist Vokey SM7 54.14F X100 Titleist Vokey SM7 58.08M S400 TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

> @ReidThompson said:

> > @" SwooshLT" said:

> > > @ReidThompson said:

> > > For whatever reason, I actually didn't think the 785s felt very good. Hot Metals, JGR HF2s, Titleist all felt way better.

> >

> > Are you talking about the Z585? Those feel different; not as good as the Z785 by a mile with the pocket cavity

>

> No. I went in club champion fully intending in combo-ing those two. May have been a bad connection or maybe the indoor some people have referenced.

I'm not doubting your findings but the Z785 feel is soft and BRILLIANT!

> @Phillipsac18 said:

> > @aquapig said:

> > Hard to believe people spend good money on brand new clubs without hitting them on grass.

> >

> > I made that mistake once ..never again.

>

> So its hard to believe people do this but you did it yourself? Not trying to stir the pot here but if you have done it yourself then how is it hard to believe that some other person would do it. Educate them on why they should not do it.

Wasn't well written.

I should have said based on my one indoor fitting by highly respected fitter, I would recommend to anyone who is going to spend the money on a new set of irons, to do a fitting outside on grass.

Hitting off of a mat and into a screen might ok for some, but for me I feel I swing much more "true" when I'm on grass and swinging at a target.

You also get to see the turf interaction with the clubs, which for me is very important.

> @aquapig said:

> > @Bamabowtie said:

> > > @aquapig said:

> > > Hard to believe people spend good money on brand new clubs without hitting them on grass.

> > >

> > > I made that mistake once ..never again.

> >

> > Where do you go to hit off grass? I have PGA SS, Golf Galaxy, Golftec and a local well stocked golf store but they are all of course indoor only. Demo days seem to be all spread out across several months of the summer so I have never been able to find a good spot to test fit irons off grass. Any help?

>

> Where are you located?

Birmingham

> @Bamabowtie said:

>

>

> > @aquapig said:

> > > @Bamabowtie said:

> > > > @aquapig said:

> > > > Hard to believe people spend good money on brand new clubs without hitting them on grass.

> > > >

> > > > I made that mistake once ..never again.

> > >

> > > Where do you go to hit off grass? I have PGA SS, Golf Galaxy, Golftec and a local well stocked golf store but they are all of course indoor only. Demo days seem to be all spread out across several months of the summer so I have never been able to find a good spot to test fit irons off grass. Any help?

> >

> > Where are you located?

>

> Birmingham

Guy I know is down in Sarasota area.

> @starrman77 said:

> Players iron, what's that?. There are scratch golfers using Ping G series irons and other game improvement clubs. Aren't they players?

Of course they're players but the description of 'players irons' is a useful way of grouping a particular design of irons together across brands

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

> @tsecor said:

> I'm shocked at how many high handicap players are concerned with "turf interaction"

What's your definition of high?

I'm at a 6.2 right now and my miss with irons is usually a little fat. Since I picked up the Z785s I have noticed that the slightly fat miss has a much better result, less loss of distance, than before. It may be placebo/honeymoon effect but I think turf interaction is important, probably more so for when you mishit it.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

> @jvincent said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > I'm shocked at how many high handicap players are concerned with "turf interaction"

>

> What's your definition of high?

>

> I'm at a 6.2 right now and my miss with irons is usually a little fat. Since I picked up the Z785s I have noticed that the slightly fat miss has a much better result, less loss of distance, than before. It may be placebo/honeymoon effect but I think turf interaction is important, probably more so for when you mishit it.

I'm about the same handicap and play on a lot of courses with firm fairways. I can't play a high bounce iron with a overly rounded leading edge.

I'm not sure why turf interaction being important is so surprising.

anything over 10 is high to me where that type of jargon really doesn't mean anything to the player. I fall in that category as a 12-15> @jvincent said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > I'm shocked at how many high handicap players are concerned with "turf interaction"

>

> What's your definition of high?

>

> I'm at a 6.2 right now and my miss with irons is usually a little fat. Since I picked up the Z785s I have noticed that the slightly fat miss has a much better result, less loss of distance, than before. It may be placebo/honeymoon effect but I think turf interaction is important, probably more so for when you mishit it.

> @jmgledhill said:

> I think I tried all of these at the beginning of the season and the only thing that really mattered was the shaft. The heads were all a few percent different, I ended up going w the x forged for subjective reasons.

What do you think of them so far? I'm trying to decide between the X-Forged and the Apex Pro

Srixon Z785 but make sure you get fitted. Bought mine off the rack with Nippon Modus 3 120s. Way too tip soft for me so my spin numbers as a result are through the roof. Tried the same with Project X LZs which have a far stiffer tip and the difference was significant in both accuracy and distance.

Sadly spending a ton of money reshafting now but you can't find a better feeling head and that includes the Mizuno MP 20

I just tried the 785's for the first time over the past week. They felt fine on the range, but when I took them onto the course, I was blown away by the feel and performance.

I've had them on the course the past few days after work for a few holes, and can't stop being impressed by them.

Knowing that they are $300 cheaper than Mizuno's and $500 cheaper than the Apex 19's; makes me feel like they are comparatively a great bargain.

They have the most solid and soft feel of anything that I have hit recently and are surprisingly forgiving.

I can't say enough about these clubs.

> @paztormike said:

> I just tried the 785's for the first time over the past week. They felt fine on the range, but when I took them onto the course, I was blown away by the feel and performance.

> I've had them on the course the past few days after work for a few holes, and can't stop being impressed by them.

>

> Knowing that they are $300 cheaper than Mizuno's and $500 cheaper than the Apex 19's; makes me feel like they are comparatively a great bargain.

>

> They have the most solid and soft feel of anything that I have hit recently and are surprisingly forgiving.

>

> I can't say enough about these clubs.

>

>

I would agree with this 100%. I found the same in my experience with these irons.

All Titleist

I think you had a hard time understanding what I said.....that's ok though....opinions vary.......IM**O** a high HDCP players isnt in tune with that as much as they want to believe. When you are not striking the ball consistently, its hard to really be in tune with "turf interaction" thats a split second moment. enjoy the day. Happy Friday

> @aquapig said:

> So the way a club feels and performs thru the grass is now just some "jargon" that shouldn't matter to anyone with a handicap over 10??

>

> Some of the stuff I read in here is always good for a chuckle.

>

>

> @nj_golf1 said:

> Srixon Z785 but make sure you get fitted. Bought mine off the rack with Nippon Modus 3 120s. Way too tip soft for me so my spin numbers as a result are through the roof. Tried the same with Project X LZs which have a far stiffer tip and the difference was significant in both accuracy and distance.

> Sadly spending a ton of money reshafting now but you can't find a better feeling head and that includes the Mizuno MP 20

The LZ actually plays quite soft. The 6.0 is softer than regular 5.5 PX according to @"Howard Jones" . Just switched to $Taper 130x. I would say that the MP20 is softer feeling than 785 but the sole grinds suit very different players.

> @tsecor said:

> I think you had a hard time understanding what I said.....that's ok though....opinions vary.......IM**O** a high HDCP players isnt in tune with that as much as they want to believe. When you are not striking the ball consistently, its hard to really be in tune with "turf interaction" thats a split second moment. enjoy the day. Happy Friday

> > @aquapig said:

> > So the way a club feels and performs thru the grass is now just some "jargon" that shouldn't matter to anyone with a handicap over 10??

> >

> > Some of the stuff I read in here is always good for a chuckle.

> >

> >

>

>

Not having a hard time at all understanding what you said. And I completely disagree.

All golfers experience turf interaction with an iron with each shot. Handicap has really nothing to do with it.

However you try to explain it, it makes no sense.

• Like 1

I found the Srixion heads to be awkwardly larger than I like. Callaway's are nice, but have a look that says Game Improvement and they have a slightly stronger loft and more offset than traditional player clubs. I'd have to favor Mizuno out of the group you mentioned. From a ex-Ping guy the best thing I did with my game was to move on from them. I wouldn't sleep on Wilson if they are available to you. The blades and the FG V6 are tremendous, but I'd expect a new iteration of the V6 next year.

go hit them all and see what appeals to you. I cant stand all the chrome on clubs these days. You won't notice how blinding they are by hitting them indoors off a mat. My srixon 565's were blinding on some shots. Wish more were brushed or pearl finish. I'm playing the x-forged with c-tapers and they're pretty low spin/low launch. > @starrman77 said:

> Players iron, what's that?. There are scratch golfers using Ping G series irons and other game improvement clubs. Aren't they players?

hahaha yup.

my buddy's dad is in his 60's and plays GI irons. He's a scratch player and shot -2 the other day LOL. Hustle's us for lunch every time.

> @ani5009 said:

> > @jmgledhill said:

> > I think I tried all of these at the beginning of the season and the only thing that really mattered was the shaft. The heads were all a few percent different, I ended up going w the x forged for subjective reasons.

>

> What do you think of them so far? I'm trying to decide between the X-Forged and the Apex Pro

I put them in the bag and haven't doubted the choice for a second.

I think when it came down to it the x-forged fit better from a ball flight / spin standpoint for me. I think I remember the apex pro also being a little bit longer, which didn't help me from a gapping perspective.

lol> @aquapig said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > I think you had a hard time understanding what I said.....that's ok though....opinions vary.......IM**O** a high HDCP players isnt in tune with that as much as they want to believe. When you are not striking the ball consistently, its hard to really be in tune with "turf interaction" thats a split second moment. enjoy the day. Happy Friday

> > > @aquapig said:

> > > So the way a club feels and performs thru the grass is now just some "jargon" that shouldn't matter to anyone with a handicap over 10??

> > >

> > > Some of the stuff I read in here is always good for a chuckle.

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

> Not having a hard time at all understanding what you said. And I completely disagree.

>

> All golfers experience turf interaction with an iron with each shot. Handicap has really nothing to do with it.

>

> However you try to explain it, it makes no sense.

>

>