Best Players Irons '19

drvrwdge

> @drvrwdge said:

> So has anyone playing the 785’s messed with the lofts since they are a little stronger or just played as is?

Not yet, but I am planning on it. Based on my play so far I may end up tweaking the longer clubs down a bit to improve my gapping.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

> @bunta said:

> @Z1ggy16 @jjmurry @balls_deep @tsecor @drvrwdge @jvincent @SwooshLT @dalillama47 @danielwkelliher @SMUGamer @DelPoncho @Tourputters

>

> I have no access to any srixon demo clubs . Not within hundreds of miles and im bout ready to buy blind. But im worried about the sole. Its the only thing that is concerning to me.

> Is the VT sole a real thing ? just be honest about it. Is it actually helping, or is it just in your head ? im worried about the sole when im playing in drier courses esp in the summer. Any feedback is better than no feedback so shoot away...

I play golf at top 100 links golf resort on firm sandy land and have problems hitting down on the ball or with sole interaction. It has actually gotten better with the 785s than w my old set of chucky TM irons

The z785s were game changers for me, and I've tried everything. First iron I ever owned that I truly felt offered additional forgiveness that benefitted my game, and it was mostly due to the sole. The v-sole not only helped with turf interaction, which was smooth as silk, but it also seemed to help me directionally. I've never hit so many shots right at the flag. They feel great, the perform, and they look slim enough at address for me to feel they are playable. I can't recommend them enough.

• Like 1

> @BCULAW said:

> The z785s were game changers for me, and I've tried everything. First iron I ever owned that I truly felt offered additional forgiveness that benefitted my game, and it was mostly due to the sole. The v-sole not only helped with turf interaction, which was smooth as silk, but it also seemed to help me directionally. I've never hit so many shots right at the flag. They feel great, the perform, and they look slim enough at address for me to feel they are playable. I can't recommend them enough.

This young man has probably owned and reviewed unbiasly more irons than most if not all on this great site! Blades to SGI .....his statement above is being co-signed wholeheartedly by me .....as I stated the same above!

• Like 1

> @" SwooshLT" said:

> > @BCULAW said:

> > The z785s were game changers for me, and I've tried everything. First iron I ever owned that I truly felt offered additional forgiveness that benefitted my game, and it was mostly due to the sole. The v-sole not only helped with turf interaction, which was smooth as silk, but it also seemed to help me directionally. I've never hit so many shots right at the flag. They feel great, the perform, and they look slim enough at address for me to feel they are playable. I can't recommend them enough.

>

> This young man has probably owned and reviewed unbiasly more irons than most if not all on this great site! Blades to SGI .....his statement above is being co-signed wholeheartedly by me .....as I stated the same above!

You are too kind!! Ha Ha!! I do have an illness, though!! I tried to count all of my sets (including multiples of the same set, like the 4 sets of s56 irons I've owned), and it made me a little sick to think about how many I've gone through. It does say something that the z785s made such an impression on me. First players irons I've owned that I felt truly distinguished themselves from the "competition."

To put it in perspective, my prior favorites were Mizuno MP14 (timeless), Titleist 690.mbs (excellent turf interaction and controllability), Scratch SB1s (awesome feel), Ping S56 (great combo of looks, feel, forgiveness, and durability), Titleist AP2 710 (point and shoot in a players looking package), Ping G25 (the iron I would play if I could only choose one set forever), and Callaway Apex Pros (2016)(wonderful turf interaction and great feel in a midsize package). I've owned many, many other sets, including pretty much every players offering from Mizuno, ping, and Titleist (and loads of others) in the last 10 years.

The z785s are legitimately the first iron I've tried that o felt was the best performer in nearly every facet of performance. For me, it felt the best, had the best turf interaction by far, the best directional forgiveness (I was shocked at how many iron shots I hit that never left the flag), and was the longest one piece forged iron I've owned. They were not nearly as long as the i500s I had early this year, but were plenty long for a true players set. I can't say enough good about them.

• Like 1

> @BCULAW said:

> > @" SwooshLT" said:

> > > @BCULAW said:

> > > The z785s were game changers for me, and I've tried everything. First iron I ever owned that I truly felt offered additional forgiveness that benefitted my game, and it was mostly due to the sole. The v-sole not only helped with turf interaction, which was smooth as silk, but it also seemed to help me directionally. I've never hit so many shots right at the flag. They feel great, the perform, and they look slim enough at address for me to feel they are playable. I can't recommend them enough.

> >

> > This young man has probably owned and reviewed unbiasly more irons than most if not all on this great site! Blades to SGI .....his statement above is being co-signed wholeheartedly by me .....as I stated the same above!

>

> You are too kind!! Ha Ha!! I do have an illness, though!! I tried to count all of my sets (including multiples of the same set, like the 4 sets of s56 irons I've owned), and it made me a little sick to think about how many I've gone through. It does say something that the z785s made such an impression on me. First players irons I've owned that I felt truly distinguished themselves from the "competition."

>

> To put it in perspective, my prior favorites were Mizuno MP14 (timeless), Titleist 690.mbs (excellent turf interaction and controllability), Scratch SB1s (awesome feel), Ping S56 (great combo of looks, feel, forgiveness, and durability), Titleist AP2 710 (point and shoot in a players looking package), Ping G25 (the iron I would play if I could only choose one set forever), and Callaway Apex Pros (2016)(wonderful turf interaction and great feel in a midsize package). I've owned many, many other sets, including pretty much every players offering from Mizuno, ping, and Titleist (and loads of others) in the last 10 years.

>

> The z785s are legitimately the first iron I've tried that o felt was the best performer in nearly every facet of performance. For me, it felt the best, had the best turf interaction by far, the best directional forgiveness (I was shocked at how many iron shots I hit that never left the flag), and was the longest one piece forged iron I've owned. They were not nearly as long as the i500s I had early this year, but were plenty long for a true players set. I can't say enough good about them.

SEE! I told you guys about him.....haha..... but the truth is , that's how I feel exactly...... ever since my 962 days , I've been on the iron rollercoaster too....xtd forged 4x, Nike VR pro combo 3x, pxg 2x, taylormade psi tour 2x, 2014 mc 3x ....my list is also too extensive.....I've never drifted into SGI like a G25 as I don't like chunky irons regardless of my poor skill set now....but combo set of z585 4-6i and Z785 7-pw has been the cat's meow......needing both trajectory and distance without going hooky hybrid route, to find a low offset, forged head that actually won a major this year( Thanks Shane!) Adding this factoid, being lefty ,I've missed out on a TON of great irons (jpx900/919T) and trust in the thoughts of those like my man B-LAW.....again many thanks for your insight .....fairways and greens as Rich would say....having Z785 makes that much easier ???

• Like 1

Of course get fit. But if you like ping - Blue prints. But go hit them first. The four is tiny. Intimidating. Hit it once solid out of three swings...and it was glorious.

Of course I had to stop.or I would have left with some. I love my i500s, but if forged feel is what you want, that's not exactly what you get with the 500s. Hit the srixons, good...but as a ping fanboy, I like ping feel. From my i10s to S55 to these.

So tempting though, blueprints are $.

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

I bit the bullet on a 585/785 combo. 585 4/5 and 785 6-pw. KBS $ Taper PVD Black. Lamkin Croasline Fullcord. Turf interaction And feel was too good and even with shaft that generally don’t fit I flagged so many iron shots over the weekend playing with a set I bought on the bay.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

I had the Xforged, 760 and the 919 tours but got rid of them all for the 785's and haven't been tempted by anything really since. I loved the finish of the 919 tours and wanted to like them but the Srixon irons are just such a great players cavity profile that doesn't have much offset but isn't a super tiny intimidating look either. And after the first few hits I found them to be the best feeling iron I've hit since my 2013 Callaway X forged set. Don't think you can go wrong on the Srixon as has been mentioned quite a few times already.

> @ReidThompson said:

> For whatever reason, I actually didn't think the 785s felt very good. Hot Metals, JGR HF2s, Titleist all felt way better.

Did you hit them indoors or outdoors? They feel way better off real turf. Amazingly soft clubs. Agree with the above they are directionally fantastic. I did mention that I found they were a bit draw bias for me and I have since found out that the issue was more so with shaft. Realized I needed a much stiffer profile via Mizuno shaft optimizer. That said I haven’t hit them and had them out perform others for my swing. Mizuno and titleist seem to work better for me. Not sure why because I want to play Srixon. 785 is the absolute perfect blend of playability and forgiveness.

> @tsecor said:

> you can skull these or completely fat them and you lose nothing.......

>

> i hit one on the toe and the 7I still flew 245. > @scb_ said:

> > how forgiving is the 919t? I see mixed reviews everywhere. is it like a blade, or is it actually semi-forgiving?

> >

> >

>

>

245 yards 7 iron on a mishit? man you make me feel like i just dropped out of a womb

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

> @hypergolf said:

> I tried all the new iron releases as I am in the market to replace my Mizuno MP60s (TT DG S300).

>

> After hours of search, different shaft and head combinations I am going to go with Titleist T100 with Project X 6.0.

>

> Historically I never liked Titleist irons and was always a Mizuno iron player but this year the feel and performance in T100 won me over...

This validated the concept of clubs feeling different to different people....

I’ve been a Titleist guy for about 15 years, and before that Mizuno.

I bought a set of T100’s when they came out, didn’t even consider anything else. Found them to be less forgiving than all versions of AP2’s, and just did not feel right.

Last Friday, took them back and picked up a set of Mizuno MP20 MMC’s. Took them out Saturday for first round and thought they might be the best iron I have ever played.

Do not overlook these. Just my opinion, but I think they look better and feel better than the HMB’s. And performance is a given!

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

> @Man_O_War said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > you can skull these or completely fat them and you lose nothing.......

> >

> > i hit one on the toe and the 7I still flew 245. > @scb_ said:

> > > how forgiving is the 919t? I see mixed reviews everywhere. is it like a blade, or is it actually semi-forgiving?

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

> 245 yards 7 iron on a mishit? man you make me feel like i just dropped out of a womb

hahaahahahaha

I am in the market for a set of players irons too w a bit of distance and forgiveness. Hit a lot so far, CF 19 Apex Pros and Srixon 785 have stood out w me leaning towards 785 w Modus 120s. 785 feel great, fly mid high for me (and I need elevation help), seem forgiving. What really got me with 785s was the quality of the strike was just better. V soles may be helping.

• Like 1

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

Players iron, what's that?. There are scratch golfers using Ping G series irons and other game improvement clubs. Aren't they players?

• Like 1

Ping G 10*- 44.5" Adjusted to 11*
Ping i3OS 4 thru UW
Cobra SS 5 wood

Cobra Speed LD 15* 3 Wood
Titleist Vokey 56* -SW
Ping Redwood- 34"
Callaway Supersoft

> @starrman77 said:

> Players iron, what's that?. There are scratch golfers using Ping G series irons and other game improvement clubs. Aren't they players?

Generally, you are what you play, hope that helps.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

> @puttingmatt said:

> > @starrman77 said:

> > Players iron, what's that?. There are scratch golfers using Ping G series irons and other game improvement clubs. Aren't they players?

>

> Generally, you are what you play, hope that helps.

Just kidding, and I agree with your statement

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

> @balls_deep said:

> > @ReidThompson said:

> > For whatever reason, I actually didn't think the 785s felt very good. Hot Metals, JGR HF2s, Titleist all felt way better.

>

> Did you hit them indoors or outdoors? They feel way better off real turf. Amazingly soft clubs. Agree with the above they are directionally fantastic. I did mention that I found they were a bit draw bias for me and I have since found out that the issue was more so with shaft. Realized I needed a much stiffer profile via Mizuno shaft optimizer. That said I haven’t hit them and had them out perform others for my swing. Mizuno and titleist seem to work better for me. Not sure why because I want to play Srixon. 785 is the absolute perfect blend of playability and forgiveness.

Agree with this completely. 785s were my first Srixons after owning nearly everything else. Read all the race reviews about the z45 and z65 series, and hit both A TON in the indoor simulator, but never purchased because I thought they felt harsh and sounded tinny.

Well, I got a deal on the 785s I couldn't pass up, and could not believe how awesome they felt out on the course. Probably the best feeling irons I ever hit. Fun y thing is, I hot some zforged today in the shop and was reminded how bad they felt indoors. I bet they are butter on grass, though.

I'd be shocked if anyone, properly fit, did not think these irons felt awesk e and performed incredibly well.

> @" SwooshLT" said:

> > @ReidThompson said:

> > For whatever reason, I actually didn't think the 785s felt very good. Hot Metals, JGR HF2s, Titleist all felt way better.

>

> Are you talking about the Z585? Those feel different; not as good as the Z785 by a mile with the pocket cavity

No. I went in club champion fully intending in combo-ing those two. May have been a bad connection or maybe the indoor some people have referenced.