2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Billy Mayfair DQ at Invesco QQQ Championship

flip flappy

And yet we have those who are so happy that you can't use replays to penalize a player. This is exactly why you need it. What if this hadn't been on air? Everyone says some players are under unfair scrutiny due to being on air more. Well, some players may have their livelihoods impacted by someone pulling a Mayfair.

This isn't football. Just because a ref didn't see it doesn't make it ok, nor should it mean a penalty should not be assessed.

> @Bluefan75 said:

> And yet we have those who are so happy that you can't use replays to penalize a player. This is exactly why you need it. What if this hadn't been on air? Everyone says some players are under unfair scrutiny due to being on air more. Well, some players may have their livelihoods impacted by someone pulling a Mayfair.

>

> This isn't football. Just because a ref didn't see it doesn't make it ok, nor should it mean a penalty should not be assessed.

As far as I know, there's no rule preventing the use of replay in determining whether a rule has been breached. The tours have said that they won't take call-ins, but that they WILL have people watching the video, to make sure things are done as correctly as reasonably possible. The rule change does say that a player's judgement will be accepted, as long as he does what can be reasonably expected under the circumstances, even if his judgement is later shown to be wrong..

> @davep043 said:

> > @Bluefan75 said:

> > And yet we have those who are so happy that you can't use replays to penalize a player. This is exactly why you need it. What if this hadn't been on air? Everyone says some players are under unfair scrutiny due to being on air more. Well, some players may have their livelihoods impacted by someone pulling a Mayfair.

> >

> > This isn't football. Just because a ref didn't see it doesn't make it ok, nor should it mean a penalty should not be assessed.

>

> As far as I know, there's no rule preventing the use of replay in determining whether a rule has been breached. The tours have said that they won't take call-ins, but that they WILL have people watching the video, to make sure things are done as correctly as reasonably possible. The rule change does say that a player's judgement will be accepted, as long as he does what can be reasonably expected under the circumstances, even if his judgement is later shown to be wrong..

The actual reason for his DQ was done via replay. His ball search that lasted over 3 minutes was reviewed in the TV trailer after the ball moving incident was done and over with, the card signed, etc. It was never even aired, actually, just taped. It was brought to the rules official's attention by the walking scorer with the group, who was quite adamant that the ball search on 11 took over 3 minutes. Replay is EXACTLY what caused this DQ.

> @MidwestGolfBum said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > > @Bluefan75 said:

> > > And yet we have those who are so happy that you can't use replays to penalize a player. This is exactly why you need it.

> >

> > As far as I know, there's no rule preventing the use of replay in determining whether a rule has been breached. The tours have said that they won't take call-ins, but that they WILL have people watching the video, to make sure things are done as correctly as reasonably possible. The rule change does say that a player's judgement will be accepted, as long as he does what can be reasonably expected under the circumstances, even if his judgement is later shown to be wrong..

>

> The actual reason for his DQ was done via replay. His ball search that lasted over 3 minutes was reviewed in the TV trailer after the ball moving incident was done and over with, the card signed, etc. It was never even aired, actually, just taped. It was brought to the rules official's attention by the walking scorer with the group, who was quite adamant that the ball search on 11 took over 3 minutes. Replay is EXACTLY what caused this DQ.

Again, there's no rule or policy against using video replay, its just that the tours have said they won't accept call-ins about violations. As you say, this was a volunteer scorer assigned to that group who insisted that the search had gone past 3 minutes, so it doesn't fall under that "no call-in complaints" ban. The officials got it right, with the final results.

> @davep043 said:

> > @MidwestGolfBum said:

> > > @davep043 said:

> > > > @Bluefan75 said:

> > > > And yet we have those who are so happy that you can't use replays to penalize a player. This is exactly why you need it.

> > >

> > > As far as I know, there's no rule preventing the use of replay in determining whether a rule has been breached. The tours have said that they won't take call-ins, but that they WILL have people watching the video, to make sure things are done as correctly as reasonably possible. The rule change does say that a player's judgement will be accepted, as long as he does what can be reasonably expected under the circumstances, even if his judgement is later shown to be wrong..

> >

> > The actual reason for his DQ was done via replay. His ball search that lasted over 3 minutes was reviewed in the TV trailer after the ball moving incident was done and over with, the card signed, etc. It was never even aired, actually, just taped. It was brought to the rules official's attention by the walking scorer with the group, who was quite adamant that the ball search on 11 took over 3 minutes. Replay is EXACTLY what caused this DQ.

>

> Again, there's no rule or policy against using video replay, its just that the tours have said they won't accept call-ins about violations. As you say, this was a volunteer scorer assigned to that group who insisted that the search had gone past 3 minutes, so it doesn't fall under that "no call-in complaints" ban. The officials got it right, with the final results.

I was reinforcing what you said, sorry that it may not have come across that way. This is the exact reason why replay is so great in situations like this, even if it's just to confirm that something did or did not happen.

> @grm24 said:

> > @"flip flappy" said:

> > > @grm24 said:

> > > > @"flip flappy" said:

> > > > As the Charles Schwab Cup is winding down, I was watching the Invesco QQQ Championship yesterday but got pulled away before I could see who won. I checked the scores today and noticed that Billy Mayfair was DQ'ed. I happened to see Billy in a situation yesterday that was questionable and wondered if that was what got him DQ'ed? His ball was on a steep slope behind a green. He appeared to be sizing up his shot and placed his club behind the ball, down into the rough and the ball rolled down the hill. I believe he told a rules official that he didn't ground his club. The announcers didn't agree with what actually happened as Billy related it. Does anyone know if this is what got Billy DQ'ed?

> > >

> > > Found this on the PGA Tour media website notes for the QQQ.

> > >

> > > hs7jhrsrhd8x.jpg

> > >

> > > https://pgatourmedia.pgatourhq.com/Tour/WebTemplate/media.nsf/vwWebFS/8264BAEBE0BFD62685257E7500680F40?openDocument

> >

> > Good find but I have to say strange on Billy's part. He was playing the third round when the incident happened about the ball moving and the lost ball happened in the second round that resulted in him DQing himself?

>

> Interesting article on the Mayfair DQ from golf.com

>

> https://www.golf.com/news/2019/11/12/billy-mayfair-disqualification-champions-tour/

Even better find! Billy Mayfair, BM if you will, really laid a big one! For some reason I thought that the incident on 17 happened on Sunday instead of Saturday like they are saying.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

> @Ferguson said:

> > @cardoustie said:

> > Billy is a reknown Cheater ... hmmmmm

>

>

>

> Litterbug too.

Oooh. Now I know I hate him !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Irishman1979 said:

> > @straightshot7 said:

> > > @Irishman1979 said:

> > > Well since we are on the subject of integrity......

> > >

> > > If you are playing in the fall and you hit your ball into play but there are so many leaves on the ground that you can't find it, do you go back to the tee and hit another? What would you do?

> > >

> > > I bet all of you would take a free drop. If a playing partner of mine had that happen to him and I saw where the ball landed I'd let him take a free drop in a casual round.

> >

> > If you and your friends agree to some special rules that you all play by, fine. That's up to you.

> >

> > But I would never take a "free drop" and then post my score or pretend my score was legit. I would either go back to the tee or just not take a score on that hole (DQ) if I wasn't able to play it by the rules.

> >

> > Your approach is obviously a very slippery slope. My ball got stuck up in a tree the other day. Should I take a free drop?

> >

> > Just play by the rules or don't post/talk about your score as if it's legit.

>

> The rules state by the USGA that under certain conditions (Leaves accumulating at a furious rate where the grounds crew hasn't been able to clear them) that you get a free drop without penalty. Sorry your ball ended up on a tree root, sorry you do not get a drop on that one.

That’s only if the local rule is in place. RIght ? AND not a local rule that you’ll ever see in a tournament.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> Is it really a player’s job to time his search for a lost ball? I’ve never seen a player or a caddie so that. The rules officials always have.

Literally in the first Rule:

1.2 Standards of Player Conduct

a. Conduct Expected of All Players

All players are expected to play in the spirit of the game by:

Acting with integrity – for example, by following the Rules, applying all penalties, and being honest in all aspects of play.

b. Applying the Rules

(1) Player Responsibility for Applying the Rules. Players are responsible for applying the Rules to themselves:

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

> @Socrates said:

> > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > Is it really a player’s job to time his search for a lost ball? I’ve never seen a player or a caddie so that. The rules officials always have.

>

> Literally in the first Rule:

>

> 1.2 Standards of Player Conduct

>

> a. Conduct Expected of All Players

>

> All players are expected to play in the spirit of the game by:

>

> Acting with integrity – for example, by following the Rules, applying all penalties, and being honest in all aspects of play.

>

> 1.3

> b. Applying the Rules

>

> (1) Player Responsibility for Applying the Rules. Players are responsible for applying the Rules to themselves:

>

>

Ok, that seems right. But I’ve always seen a rules official keep the time and when time’s up they have to go back and get penalized.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @Socrates said:

> > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > Is it really a player’s job to time his search for a lost ball? I’ve never seen a player or a caddie so that. The rules officials always have.

> >

> > Literally in the first Rule:

> >

> > 1.2 Standards of Player Conduct

> >

> > a. Conduct Expected of All Players

> >

> > All players are expected to play in the spirit of the game by:

> >

> > Acting with integrity – for example, by following the Rules, applying all penalties, and being honest in all aspects of play.

> >

> > 1.3

> > b. Applying the Rules

> >

> > (1) Player Responsibility for Applying the Rules. Players are responsible for applying the Rules to themselves:

> >

> >

>

> Ok, that seems right. But I’ve always seen a rules official keep the time and when time’s up they have to go back and get penalized.

Just another form of coddling Tour players. Do everything for them.

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @Socrates said:

> > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > Is it really a player’s job to time his search for a lost ball? I’ve never seen a player or a caddie so that. The rules officials always have.

> >

> > Literally in the first Rule:

> >

> > 1.2 Standards of Player Conduct

> >

> > a. Conduct Expected of All Players

> >

> > All players are expected to play in the spirit of the game by:

> >

> > Acting with integrity – for example, by following the Rules, applying all penalties, and being honest in all aspects of play.

> >

> > 1.3

> > b. Applying the Rules

> >

> > (1) Player Responsibility for Applying the Rules. Players are responsible for applying the Rules to themselves:

> >

> >

>

> Ok, that seems right. But I’ve always seen a rules official keep the time and when time’s up they have to go back and get penalized.

It's on the player. There aren't rules officials with every group on the course.

> @Rangeballz said:

> Rather interesting that Mayfair had his lawyer on the phone during the interview.........doesn't smell right.

Yeah, if you really believed you had done nothing wrong, it should be pretty easy to say so without a lawyer telling you how to word it.

Kind of a sad situation the one on 17 too. Thats the ONLY time he can remember calling a penalty on himself, and he only did so after getting caught with a tv camera.

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Diamana ZF 60TX

Sim2 Max AD-DI 7x 15°
SIM2 Max AD-DI 8x
Apex ‘19 ..L Raw 4-W AMT S400
Fourteen RM-4 50-54-60 TI S400
Versa 1W

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> Is it really a player’s job to time his search for a lost ball? I’ve never seen a player or a caddie so that. The rules officials always have.

Apparently Mayfair did have his caddie keeping time:

>Mayfair said, “I had told Jeff to keep an eye on his watch. We knew it was getting close to the three minutes.”

But in a different discussion he apparently claimed he didn't realize that he only had 3 minutes, claimed he thought he got 5 minutes. He also claimed later that "they have a stopwatch, I don't".

He comes off to me as a man who will say whatever he thinks will sound best right at that moment, regardless of the truth.

> @Badds said:

> Greg Norman is a well known cheater as well.

>

>

> With other men's wives.

I personally don't condone it but it takes two to tango. If Norman makes advances to married wormen and they reject him then he is scum but if the advances are reciprocated then can you blame him since he is single?

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

If the PGA had any rocks in their sack, They’d hand this guy his @$$

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

> @drbonesvt said:

> If the PGA had any rocks in their sack, They’d hand this guy his ****$

The PGA has nothing to do with this. There is, however, a commercial enterprise, the PGA Tour, whose purpose is to create a product designed to sell television advertising.

• Like 1

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.