New FlightScope Mevo+ (MERGED)

enormous13

I am? I posted one spreadsheet (that I didn't even collect the data for), then replied when I was got a notification that I was quoted. You're acting like I'm the one with 4 posts per day, every day, for the past 7 years haha. But that's the other guy

And FWIW, SkyTrak hasn't updated their software in over a year and I wouldn't recommend anyone buy one of those in the current climate either. At least not until they break radio silence, because you don't want to get in at end-of-life (if that is whats happening). I just simply observed a thread about a radar unit getting a lot of hype for doing things that radar is not good at doing, and took the opportunity to try to save newbies a headache.

Titleist TSR2 9* Ventus Blue 6X

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

I'm not grasping at anything and you have not addressed anything at all, you just retyped the same equation which isn't relevant in low spin shots when the machine can't actually measure anything below 2024rpm. Its two cameras taking pictures of a few inches of ball flight and , if their image processing algo cant measure total spin under 2024, then it simply cannot measure any vector component of that either, thus all spin axis measurements when total spin is less than 2024 would be an approximation.

As for the mevo, now you are moving the goal posts instead of simply admitting you misspoke. You are entitled to your opinions on Flightscope's business model and practices, but calling me ignorant is simply out of line. If frequency wasn't relevant why does trackman market their dual radars so much? Why did flightscope move to radar+camera? Frequency used dictates power requirements, antenna size, propagation angle, and thus the detection window and range.

I'm not going to continue to go round and round on the same talking points you keep repeating ad nauseam. But you did say one thing that was new:

"If frequency wasn't relevant why does trackman market their dual radars so much?"

Because they use one radar to track the club, and one radar to track the ball. The higher frequency is used to track the club data and not the ball, by the way. Funny that they would do that even though you seem to think that the wave length has something to do with the radar's ability to see the ball, eh? Maybe you should talk to them and tell them what they are doing wrong.

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

It's not the just radar's ability to "see" the ball, I know you read that tidbit on trackmans website but that isn't what I am talking about here. Its the range/launch window that the radar is designed to perform in so it can reliably get a clean SNR (and thus reliable data). Trackman isn't doing anything wrong, once again you are completely misunderstanding what I am trying to say. But thank you for proving the point I was trying to make about trackman using two seperate radars for two different functions (the club up close, the ball far away). The fact that the Mevo+ and Xi series are operating on different frequencies, are clearly much different in size, and one is designed to track the entire ball flight while the other is not, shows the windows they are designed to operate is inherently different. So your assertion that the Mevo+ is just a locked higher capable radar unit just doesn't hold weight (much like your assertion ST can some how measure spin axis on shots it cant measure spin at all). Although due to it's inherent design, there are some cases where it might actually be more useful indoors when all the data is normalized anyway, since it likely has a broader launch window so it can "see" more, ie with short chips and putts that basically barely getting the measure window of an Xi or X2. For whatever reason you have an axe to grind with flightscope and it's seemingly clouding your ability to be objective in this thread. At the end of the day the Mevo+ has a lot of bang for the buck, even with some limitations indoors.

Let's be friends guys...we all have a passion for spending loads of our excess cash (or credit) on bits of plastic with radars/cameras in...no dramas needed.

I think until the GBP improves i'll have to skip Mevo purchases....it's going to cost me long time. Also dunno if you have this in the US but they want 30GBP for shipping....then 6 quid on top of that for more "tax" and this is even on the Mevo so i'm not quite sure on how/why that for small devices here?

Youtube golf instruction video
only shows a ball distance or direction
of about 3 inches

I do think one enhancement all manufacturers could make would be to allow their calculated parameters to take into account manual inputs of individual static club lofts and "handedness" (e.g. PW RH 46*) Especially in limited flight situations.

I'm sure there are critics of individual brands that would seize upon that and crucify their targeted manufacturer of choice for inferior technology. But, that's the other guy...

ES14 did because it had to. It only measured speed and everything else is calculated much like swing caddy. Mevo+ measures all the parameters it needs, so doesnt need the club loft to calculate or estimate launch or spin. I believe I saw on videos flightscope reps recommend users input their club for data tracking, an to help the Mevo watch a smaller flight window for more accurate results.. recommended selecting a club when switching from woods to irons to wedges.

Ping G400 SF Tec 9* - Mitsubishi C6 Blue Shaft - Stiff @ 45.25"
Ping G 3w SFT @ 16* - Ping Alta CB - Stiff 
Ping G400 19* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Ping G400 22* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Ping G400 26* Hybrid - Ping Alta CB - Stiff
Mizuno  919 Hot Metal Pro 6i-GW, Recoil 95 F3 
Mizuno S18 Wedges in 55* and 60*, Recoil F3
Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

While I don’t have the conviction that Celeras has about the possible downsides of Mevo+, I’m definitely going to wait and see how the first 6 months or so goes. No harm in waiting, especially since they’re not giving early adopters any kind of price break.

Maybe SkyTrak and other vendors will pick up the pace with some competition in the ring. Exciting times though!

Definately exciting times for consumer grade launch monitors.. this space is really heating up, which is great to see.. and good accurate data is becomming more and more affordable.

I would have preferred to wait as well to see more testing and experiences with the Mevo+ before ordering, to see how the software matures and see if there are any updates over the first few months of release, but also didn't want to wait too long to put my Skytrak up for sale either knowing at least a portion of Skytrak users will be or are considering a switch.. so taking a small gamble putting up the Skytrak and pre-ordering. I'm not risking much though, since I gave the required space and sim play is a bonus not a need or requirement for me.. I value the practice functions and portability for use outside more than sim play options.

Resale values have historically been phenomenal on the Skytrak units over the last few as they have been very reliable, and there was zero other competition under $2k that provides spin axis and sim play. Now that there is another option, I expect Skytrak resale values to go down a smidge.. not plummet, but there will definately be more supply lowering prices in the used market. For a while it was hard to find used Skytraks.. and when I did, they were the same price or more than a refurb directly from SkyTrak.. even with Mevo+ in pre-order status, there are many more Skytraks popping up in forums, ebay, facebook etc..

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

I just got mine. Unfortunately my fibromyalgia is acting up today so it will not be until this weekend to try it out.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

GungHoGolf with another few videos worth of testing. Here is the putting one:

https://youtu.be/Y8ezF524U0sCheck his account for more (Par3/Chipping also shown today so far, looks good as you'd expect) or follow along on the simulator site. I'm probably going to stop paying attention as the results are by-the-book for indoor radar. Cheers all!

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Hope to pick up my MEVO+ after work tonight! I decided to only use short indoor mode and 8' of flight. While my space is 26' long, ceilings are only 8'8". I can hit wedges to 8' but would pop the ceiling at 13'.

I plan on taking it to my local sim space to compare with their e6 TruTrac2 systems. My original MEVO usually reads clubhead about 5-7 mph slower than the TruTrac. Will see if MEVO+ does the same

Please report back with your impressions once you have a chance..

I'm on pre order planning to use short indoor mode as well for the same reasons... 13' is too far back for short irons and wedges.. heck I have hit the top bar of my screen now at 9-10 feet away! I do have just enough room to get back to about 12' from the screen on occasion just to hit some drivers if I want. Hitting strip for irons will always be set at 8-9 feet though.

Keep us posted!

Ping Sigma 2 Anser @ 33"

I have a terrible case of indoor swing-phobia with driver. Even at the sim where neither ceiling or walls are at issue.

One thing I may try: I have an indoor links putting green with about 7' between the two holes. I could try to set the MEVO+ level with the green to see if it reads putts and how accurate it is.

@games Let us know how it goes- I have about 24ft screen to screen on my porch for a set up that I have been hitting into a net for several years. This looks almost ideal for what I need for practice. I really don't care about the sim play at all- I will will only be using an Ipad/Iphone for read out - I just don't have the time to put in for Sim play. I wish Mevo+ had more club head data like GCQuad but for practice and the price point this is where I need to be for my needs.

Doesn't need to be pinpoint accurate as far as I am concerned - Just needs to be consistent - But from what I have seen on Youtube so far it seems to be pretty consistent as best I can tell when measured against others-

Thanks

Long day at work, so just hit full swing 6 irons through 9 irons. MEVO+ performed as expected. It's just really good with full swings.

Upon unboxing, I charged the unit. While charging, I tried to connect to its built-in hotspot using the QR code on the unit. No bueno. Apparently, MEVO doesn't connect while charging. At about 80% I unhooked it, and was able to connect when it was unhooked from charging. Also, at unboxing, I downloaded the apps for FS Golf and e6. There was a QR code for e6 stuck to the outside of the box but underneath the shrink wrap. Confusing moment: Upon scanning the QR code and registering with e6, I was informed it came only with one course (Aviara), one driving range and a chipping/pitching/putting green. EDIT: This morning I logged into the e6 app, and I see I can access the five courses promised online.

After connecting and setup (short indoor mode, NO dots on the balls), I hit eight balls in my initial session and got eight decent reads with my 9 iron. Then, I went to check something in the settings, changed the view, went back to hit, then it read nothing. After 20 shots with no read, I closed the app, turned off the unit, turned it back on, opened the app and started a new session. From there, I hit 65 shots without a miss. (It may have been a firmware update downloading. More on that below.)

I gave it a good workout, and it didn't disappoint. I had 3-4 shots that surprised me with carry, but the most part, the unit seemed really on. The FS Golf app is pretty nice with a few different views of shot data. The real simulation takes place in the e6 connect app which I didn't get to try as it was too late. NOTE: In going through the shot data, I saw more than a few very clear spin readings that were misses (9000+ and 2000- with a 6-iron. Probably a function of not using dots. But, that was maybe five shots out of the 80 or so that registered.

When I was done hitting and closed out of the sessions, I received an option to update the firmware. Knowing how important firmware was to the original MEVO, I would have liked the option before I took the unit on its maiden voyage. I didn't see any way to force a firmware check for updates, though.

The unit comes with an attached brace that when opened all the way, allows the unit to sit at up to a 16 degree angle to the floor. The unit comes with a plastic protractor-like template that allows the user to set the unit at a 12 degree angle for simulation. Also, the unit's settings can detect the precise angle at which the unit is sitting so I think the protractor gives a rough estimate that should be tweaked in the settings for final calibration for simulation. Interestingly, a picture on the template suggests this is also the angle at which MEVO should be set for putting. This is a bit confusing. Can the unit sit any angle for the FS Golf App, but needs the precise 12* angle for e6 and putting?

Regarding metal objects: I have a 8' steel support brace that sits about three feet from the impact area. There was nothing to suggest it was interfering with shot reads. Again, my setup was short indoor mode, precisely 8 feet between unit and ball, plus about 8.5 feet of flight. No dots used.

• Like 2