2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

New GHIN website and app

Quite As someone else surmised your 9th and 10th counting scores must have been a bit higher than 1-8.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Anyone figure out 9 hole score entries? Meaning, as an example, old app, you'd choose 9 holes, then either front or back nine, now enter 9 holes it doesn't ask or specify which 9 you played?

FWIW, my index didn't change when rolling from old system to WHS.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

What is the course rating and par differences between her tee box and the one you use? It certainly could be 5 different depending on the old numbers.

What do you mean by you had to "fight getting her the proper amount"? If it doesn't follow the USGA formula, then it's not the "proper amount" and it's just a "revised amount for the way we feel".

I just received the following from TGA. Reminds me of the updates we used to get during the initial host software upgrade here at WRX.

"We understand there were some technical difficulties on Monday related to the USGA’s new software launch for the World Handicap System. At this time, the software has successfully launched; however, the USGA is working through some lingering technical issues.

While you are able to post scores now at GHIN.com, we’re still waiting for some corrections that also will allow you to post scores on the GHIN app, as well as post hole-by-hole scores on GHIN.com. We expect these issues to be solved soon.

The best thing you can do right now is hold on to your scores from the rounds you’ve played in 2020. We will send another update as soon as the issues are solved or by the end of the day.

This is a short-term delay that will end soon and give way to a vastly improved GHIN Handicapping system. Thank you for your patience."

Correct, the difference is the tee Par's as listed (which I believe to be incorrect) would be 73 for her and 68 for men which would make up the extra 5 strokes. However, why is the app not automatically calculating for that? It leads right back to the same problem. What I mean by we had to fight to get her the proper amount was due to the difference of Course Rating - Course rating (73.0 - 67.7) in the old system not being applied by the people she was playing with. We had to fight to prove she should be getting those strokes and now we are right back in the same situation. We had the same situation with people playing up tees and I had to fight for them to give up strokes and was only partially successful there.

If the new App is corrected to automatically add/subtract for the Par to Par difference then the problem is solved no matter what par is assigned to either the men's or women's tee. I checked with her course being a par 70, 73 and 75 versus the same tee for men being par 69 or 70. I used those figures as that is what the par for both courses could potentially be just going off yardages (and also using 70 for the women as well since that is the par that was used before the switch to the WHS). It doesn't matter what Par is assigned as it is zeroed out in the Course Handicap calc as it is used twice (once on the Course Handicap side and then again for the Par - Par adjustment).

Correct, however, the 9th(?) hole is the #1 hdcp hole on the course so triple SHOULD be an acceptable score for a CH of 3 and a stroke should NOT be deducted for 'cap purposes. So while the triple on 7(?) & 8(?) SHOULD have a stroke deducted for NDB, the triple on 9 IS permitted for 'cap purposes.

Having said that,,,,,,,,, HOLY MOLY BATMAN !!!

I never even looked at the dark blue "HOLE" stripe, never having thought for a second they'd have THAT wrong. But appears as the hole numbers are NOT in order.

I am now looking at Pinehurst #2 and it appears as though the same problem exists - the holes are not in order - HOWEVER, each hole's stats seem correct. HERE, GHIN correctly applied NDB. Hole 14's (circled) yardage is correct, the stroke/handicap hole rating is correct (#2 stroke/hdcp hole) and the app correctly did NOT deduct a stroke for the triple bogey there but did for the previous 2 holes, a total deduction of 2 strokes for posting.

I went back to the original course. Today the ORDER of the holes are different but the yardages and stroke index are the SAME for the hole #. I used the same tee set and got the same CH (3) and plugged in ALL pars with 3 triple bogeys on the same 3 holes as the first pic I posted and it had the SAME issue. It deducted a stroke for each triple bogey, EVEN the #1 HDCP hole.

So it's a "floating" problem. So, if you want to have an accurate 'cap, do NOT use the H-B-H scoring,,,,,,,,,, YET.

88JANAISZSCX.png

HSTB8MVG5CUI.png

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Disagree.

On GHIN, the H-B-H is screwed up. Doesn't seem all that bad and possibly will be fixed quickly but until then, use the gross score adjusted by NDB, like most of the users using GHIN have for many years now.

The 2020 Hdcp System we're now playing under says you're updated daily. And while the HBH scoring is flummoxed, the gross score function appears to work correctly (best 8 out of 20).

And while the starting difference between the Dec 15 revision and the new 'cap may not be that big a deal, it certainly can be a big deal if one player using the Dec 15th number and others using the new number, especially if they have any sort of significant number of rounds played since Dec 15 - I'm playing twice a week or more.

At least on GHIN.com it does - can't say how ANY other association's feeder(?) system works. Heck, the apps on smartphones (if updated of course), might work (HBH) better than GHIN right now.

Titleist Pro V1X

@nsxguy says:
"At least on GHIN.com it does - can't say how ANY other association's feeder(?) system works. Heck, the apps on smartphones (if updated of course), might work (HBH) better than GHIN right now."
From everything I've read, and this is by no means definitive, the Hole by hole issues relate to the individual Associations, so the problems are present no matter which platform you use to access the system.

Looks like a bug, and I'm betting it has to do with the crazy stroke index for your course. The vast majority of courses have odd numbered holes on the front, even on the back. I'm betting their logic to determine what holes the player is getting strokes is wrong.

Nevermind, I see your hole numbers are out of order!

Also note, if the website posting is broken, the app will be broken. They both use the same API to access the data, just a different front end.

Does anybody see a way to look up handicaps without having to log into the GHIN first? The public lookup seems to be gone.

Also, the login of just GHIN and last name is ridiculous. I know many of my buddy's login info. Completely insecure. They need to change that ASAP.

I see the same thing that you do, no lookup without logging in first.

On the other part, you've always been able to enter scores using just the GHIN number and last name. But if its a concern, you should write to your State Association, or ask your pro or handicap chair to do it for you.

If you knew your buddies info before you could have posted scores for him without logging on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NOW, at least you have to log on AS the guy. If push came to shove they could at least check IPs and cancel any (OK, most) rounds for the guy that didn't come from his known IPs.

Titleist Pro V1X

It's got to be something more than that.

The "test" course I used first, has the correct data for all the holes - they're just listed in the wrong order. IF the association via the club itself, changed it for the 2nd time I looked (today) how likely is it they would have STILL gotten the order of the holes wrong a 2nd time ?

And my mention of "apps" wasn't referring to the GHIN.COM smartphone "app' but outside apps like The Grint(?). Then again, I don't know how The Grint worked and whether or not they needed yardage/stroke holes/etc.

I'm guessing that previously the player had to use ESC correctly and with the new system the player would have to calculate NDB correctly - wouldn't expect those apps to have all that loaded - but I guess they might - any idea ?

Titleist Pro V1X

New Q:

In my app, when I go to post a score, on "select a course", under the "Nearby" tab, the app is saying that "we cannot determine nearby courses. Please search for your course or enable location services on your device"

On a iPhone 11, latest update of iOS and the GHIN app, I have location services enabled for the app-- it works in every other golf other app - but not working here.

I am a half mile from a TPC clubhouse (#6 is 300 yards from here) , and about a mile from another 3 courses. Any other app would show these and more courses. This working properly for anyone else?

It's more than that. I can log in as you and pull your personal info out of the data which is retrieved. So I would know your address and phone number if you've entered it into the system.

Even moreso, in about 10 minutes I figured out how their API works, and I can pull up golfer info by state and last name, which means I can ALSO pull up your personal info. From there I can also get your GHIN #. This is NOT acceptable.

Ready, watch this, without any special tools.....

***IVE DECIDED TO DELETE THE INSTRUCTIONS PER REQUEST*

TLDR: Essentially, with very little knowledge, it's possible to pull down any player's GHIN #, log in as themselves, post scores, and more importantly, look up personal information.THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE USGA!!!

I was able to enter Total Scores and see my latest handicap revisions on January 5 and 6, but now the GHIN website indicates NH as of January 7. I'm guessing we got a free look the first week but my Golf Club/Association hasn't paid our annual 2020 GHIN dues yet so my handicap isn't available until they do. Thoughts?

As @rogolf has already said, please email the USGA and others with this, so they can close the holes. There are options to contact your local association, GHIN TEchnical support, as well as provide website feedback at the bottom of the base GHIN page. You might want to do all three.

Might I ask that anyone posting do so in the already active thread about the new world handicap system!

( total sarcasm and not at all mean to be taken seriously ).

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Tuesday evening from Carolinas Golf Association:Well, it has been a long day and GHIN is still working hard to solve a few problems with the new system. Here is the Tuesday evening update:Update 1. We are still holding off on posting scores by your members or by you in the Admin Portal. You should plan for this ban to be in effect until Wednesday afternoon at the earliest. GHIN tells us they are close to a fix but we would like to be sure they have tested it properly before we release the members to post. We have been telling members who email us or call us directly to plan for Thursday as the start day - just to be on the safe side. Members should still not post scores at this time.Update 2. There appears to be a problem with the Android version of the mobile app. This cropped up during the day today and GHIN is working on a solution. Your members are able to download the app; however, when they try to log in with their GHIN number and their Last Name it causes an error and they are unable to use the app. We will keep you up-to-date on when this has been fixed so you can pass the info onto your members. On the other hand, the good news is the iPhone app appears to working properly so your members will be able to use this app to post scores once we have given the green light for posting (on Wednesday or Thursday).

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Firstly larry, thanks !!!

Upper left hand corner, to the left of "USGA", click the menu icon.

Then "Contact Us".

Then "Tech Support" AND "Website help" AND "Contact my Association". Send it ASAP to ALL THREE of 'em !!!

Oh, and then delete the instructions out of your post.

Titleist Pro V1X

Ok, so what do I use?

DMDTHO929PIY.jpg

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

@Shilgy
My friend, you wrote to use the last revision in quoting a guy who dropped .2
When I said "Disagree", I had no idea that your scoring record was not up and running. So of course, in THAT case, you use what you've got.
Now please do me a favor and edit your thread and remove the screenshot.
Later.

Titleist Pro V1X