2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Patrick Reed's lawyer tried to silence Brandel Chamblee (NO POLITICS)

scotee

No doubt, and I can't recall how Brandel or others were jumping in, but we all saw it when Phil did the thing on the putting green because he wanted to "send a message" and the "outrage" and all is a lot "bigger" from all angles than it was in 2010.

I sure don't like what it has become and easier for blowhards of any demographic to find things they want to latch onto for sure.

Reed had done the exact same thing on camera before... Nothing was said about that at the time of filming. He could very well have thought that in a waste bunker it was okay, I don't know and neither do they.

I tried the practice swing and never once watched the club head going back, but that's just me.

I've heard explanations as to what happened, and I've watched the video to try to corroborate those explanations, and they don't add up.

Patrick hasn't given a clear concise explanation as to what happened, but the crux of it seems to be it was a bad camera angle and he was far enough away from the ball where he thought moving sand wouldn't improve his lie.

I have yet to hear a good reason why, if this is the case, he is in the same position when he actually hits the ball as he is for his practice swings. That's why I find it hard to believe Patrick's explanation. In addition, if he were far enough back, he wouldn't have to avoid coming through the ball in his downswing like he did during his practice swings.

What's funny to me is that he did the exact same thing in the same tournament and Fehrety said "he tie tidied up his like a little bit - that's perfectly alright" - no, no it's not perfectly alright. I have no idea why that got ignored. There is video of that, too.

Apparently when he has a bad lie in a waste area, Patrick just happens to always brush the sand back during his practice swings.

And honestly, I'm not outraged over this or anything. I like the fact that you're defending your position. I just haven't heard anything from anyone or Patrick that passes the straight face test based on what I'm seeing. And Patrick's interviews about the whole situation have basically been the Bill Belichick approach of saying as little as possible and hoping it goes away.

For the record, I was not impressed at all by Phil at the US Open, and his explanation as to what he did and that he'd consider doing it at the Masters was obviously complete BS. I think Lexi Thompson intentionally moved her golf ball too and was aware of it. But it is what it is, I don't lose sleep over it or anything, but it's all more interesting than what else is going on in the slow golf season.

From everything I've read, he's acknowledged that he moved sand, but that the camera angle made it look like he was closer to the ball than he actually was, and he didn't improve his lie but he had no choice but to accept the penalty because of what they had on camera.

"“If I stew over something that I felt like I didn’t intentionally do, at the end of the day it’s my word versus their word. They weren’t standing there, they had a camera angle. Because of that, you don’t really have a choice.”

And per my earlier post, Feherty was standing there in an earlier round and literally stated Reed moved sand and tidied up his lie. So he did the same thing twice in this tournament. I'm guessing he'd say he thought he was far enough in both instances.

And I get all of that from your perspective. You NEED An Explanation from Reed. I feel the opposite, I despise the idea that anyone owes the public a satisfactory explanation, and I’ll explain why.

Take tiger for instance. Everytime we’ve seen him give a public statement for some indiscretion , it’s so horribly obvious that it’s a fake PR attempt to appease the masses.

in other words I don’t care to hear anything that isn’t genuine. It’s a waste of my time and insults my intelligence. But I don’t blame tiger for that. It’s the people who “ need to know “ who cause that to be a necessary evil if you intend to “ play the game “ . And in that line of thought I happen to agree with Reed , I wouldn’t feel the need to explain my actions either. A penalty was accessed , I paid for that penalty. End of story. There’s nothing else to discuss.

Again Flip it around I haven’t seen or heard anything from anyone that makes me know that he didnt do anything wrong other than move sand and not kiss the public’s butt afterward . Neither are close to the label “cheater” . He was penalized for moving sand . So it’s done.

People just hate the guy , they hated him well before this and it makes them mad that he won’t bow and apologize to them . The public in general is way too entitled in this regard .

And Belichick handles it correctly in my opinion most times . Anyone who learns the art of negotiation will tell you that the one who talks first loses , and the one who talks most loses more. The media is just out for more ammo to shoot back at you . Give them as little as possible

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

And people wonder why the sport of golf is being abandoned or passed by.....situations like this. All other sports fans are wondering why golf fans can't move on and what's the big deal. Some how, they think that Patrick Reed is going to ruin the integrity of the game ….when you have players bending the rules all the time and pressing rules officials for favorable ruling......LOL!

"Again Flip it around I haven’t seen or heard anything from anyone that makes me know that he didn't do anything wrong other than move sand and not kiss the public’s butt afterward . Neither are close to the label “cheater” . He was penalized for moving sand . So it’s done"

Honestly, I don't think it's that simple at all. I think the issue most have with Reed (myself included) is that they believe he knew he moved the sand and improved his lie and did not call a penalty on himself for doing so. He was only took the penalty later because he got called on it by officials right?

When someone gets caught trying to get away with something it does not change the nature of the action.

On the other hand if you believe he had no idea that his lie had changed or that he had moved sand... then I get what you are saying. I just think there is a large group that just ain't buying that.

Monahan had a sit down with Reed and said he came away from the meeting believing Reed thinking he did nothing wrong on purpose. If you satisfy the commissioner Reeds job is done in his mind. Reed could cure cancer single handed and people would still hate him.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

And I respect that opinion. But thinking on that my first thought was “ who was the last to call a penalty on themselves “? Not call over an official and ask. But actually say “ I messed up , and I’m applying a penalty stroke “ or whatever is proper. I can’t think of anyone. Calling over an official to ask doesn’t really count. Reed has done that many times. Once making a stink that “ Jordan spieth would get relief. “. It just doesn’t happen that players call penalties on themselves. Not Phil , not tiger , not DJ , not Lexi , not random guy who got popped for caddie lining him up . That’s just off the top of my head penalties I can think of.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Yes indeed, the cancer industry would hate his guts and have Reed whacked for sure if he dared threaten their gravy train.

Paddy should just go full pantomime villain and wear a bandit's black bandana over his face while playing, or some kind of evil Empire blacked-out on Sundays look. I think he's great for the game if only in terms of having a few 'bad' guys on the tour when 95% of them are squeaky clean, endorsement friendly clones.

Brandel went after Tiger in a golf.com piece in 2013 for "being a little cavalier with the rules" after the 2013 BMW Championship penalty controversy. Steinberg said that he was contemplating legal action against Brandel, but Brandel apologized on Twitter and said that he went "too far."

Brandel isn't apologizing this time.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

He went a lot farther than just that with Tiger, lol, comparing it to Brandel's 4th grade cheating episode. He did lay it on pretty thick and frankly, went too far in that case (not every one here would agree, lol). But Brandel had been out there attacking Tiger for years and the loudest of all after 2009. He's only relatively recently given Tiger props after Tiger has flat proved him wrong several times in regard to his coming back, etc.

Don't remember anything about Twitter and wouldn't surprise me if he had to put it out there, but the biggest thing that happened was a Golf Channel sit down where Brandel was interviewed by Rich Lerner and had to walk it back on the air. Like when all the losers would go on 60 minutes to apologize for whatever.

"I am all for media outlets being sued if it will make them at least be more responsible for how they phrase things , especially when making definitive statements about people. I am fine with Opinion people too....no issue, just say "I think " at least"

So you're saying your not familiar with the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution?

Oh, you're Canadian. ... Well, Section 2(b) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms covers it as well.

Speech and press aren't completely free or people wouldn't get successfully sued for slander and libel. The degrees of these things are matters for the courts.

As I've said already I care about this more as a slippery slope thing than I do about Patrick Reed. I dont think it's right for a television personality to call him a cheater as if it is factual

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

"Chamblee giving his opinion or what he personally thinks about it is not news or a fact. Does he speak for the Golf Channel when he says these things?Reporting the news and giving personal opinions are two different things. Seems like we have forgotten this concept in America, that personal opinions are not news or facts and should be kept out of the show. Is this a news show or a personal opinion tabloid show?Chamblee should shut the F up on the golf central broadcasts about what he personally thinks. There are other forums for him to state his own opinion or personal feelings."

You're confused.

Chamblee is NOT a reporter, he's a commentator - two entirely different things. .... The reporters on the show are the people you've never heard of before (aka not former pro golfers), they're paid to stick to the facts. As a commentator, Chamblee is paid to give his opinions and add color commentary to the broadcasts.What we have forgotten in America is to stop giving our own opinions on what someone's job consists of, especially when we have no training (or knowledge) in what that job is.

If Chamblee "shut the F up on GC broadcasts about what he personally thinks" he wouldn't be collecting a paycheck for long.

"Speech and press aren't completely free or people wouldn't get successfully sued for slander and libel."

To get "sued successfully" would require a false statement, a lie, negligently or intentionally communicated or published that harms someone's reputation - which is why successful cases are few and far between.

Regarding whether he cheated or not? Really?

The game of golf has a long-standing history regarding honesty, and calling rules violations - regardless them being intentional or not - on ourselves. For him to suggest he didn't know any better, and requiring officials to call him on his clear violation of the rules after the fact is irresponsible.

QGTIEURNTF0P.png

So you’d call defenders called for pass interference cheaters?

I know you wouldn’t. But it fits your narrative there. Right ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Well. He could turn off the spigot to Notah. They’ve got a lot of scoops over the years through that connection.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The last I remember that was publicly discussed was when Jordan was an amateur playing with Ben Crenshaw at the Masters and his ball moved on the green after he'd addressed it. I'm sure there have been a few since, very few.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

That's just dumb.

And while, if you want to get technical it is cheating (being as defenders are "acting unfairly to get an advantage"), it's clearly a violation of the rules - and it's why referees at football games carry flags.

Meanwhile golfers are supposed to referee themselves. ... But that doesn't fit your narrative, now does it?