2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Easiest way to lower swing weight..a lot

QuigleyDU

So I have never paid attention to my swing weights. But out of curiosity, I checked them my irons were at D6. I thinking that is a bit heavy and would like to get them to D3 or 4. What is the fastest way to accomplish that.?

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

If you've played them a while and like them don't do anything and leave them like that. Changing may not mean you hit them better. The best way would be to remove weight from the head but I doubt you can do that easily. Next best way to change the SW scale reading is to reduce the length.Someone will tell you to add weight to the butt which will change the SW reading but won't change anything about how they play.

Again if they play fine to you and feel good don't do anything.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Probably the right answer. Just leave them alone. Still curious if they would be “better” or more playable or I would hit them better if they were lighter..

BALL; Chrome Soft X

So I have seen.. thanks!!

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Sorry, its been up 10.000 times......Counterweight DONT WORK if we have a head weight issue,

It works ONLY if we stay within the same total weight, meaning SHAFT CHANGE NEEDED so forget it, its not whats asked for, but lower head weight.

Hosel drilling is how we reduce head weight, 3 SWP is no problem,. but to the OP,. your clubs where fine until you saw that value, so you are not going by what works for you, but what your mental level think is right, but thats not the way to go.

Set a piece of tape on the grip so 0.5 inch of the Grip gets covered, and lower your hands below that tape and test the club. 0.5" inch is equal to 3 SWP so here is how you can test that without full mods.

1/8 shorter = 0.75 SWP lower, so by "tuning" up and down" you can try off values between D6 and D3, but if you really want lower feel of head weight, reduction of head weight is needed.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Do they actually feel heavy or do you just think it is too heavy because the number seems high? If it is the latter then leave them alone. IMO lots of players could benefit from more weight, plus you are playing lighter shafts which means your "D6" would likely feel similar to "D4" if you had 130g shafts. That is very general and will depend on shaft balance point, but IMO higher swing weights with lighter shafts are perfectly fine. ONLY change if it feels wrong to you.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

playing 130 gram $ tapers.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Oh, sorry I was going off of your signature. I still maintain my point about feel though; only make adjustments if the clubs actually feel too heavy in your hands.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 

Porting like on the photo is max 1 SWP, the head on the photo even less....i would not destroy a set of Miuras this way.....

Hosel drilling is invisible, and it dont destroy chrome plating

ALL hosels ive seen can by ease be drilled 3/8" with the largest drill bit without issues (4.71 grams), if we need more, we have to study hosel shape and probably use a smaller bit for the rest.

Always start small and go up in steps on the drill bit. - the closest to 3 SWP using 1 size is 1.0" inch deep drilling using a 7/32 drill bit. (5.86 grams) so its many options for how we can make it.

LBVPBHVF5UML.jpg

Thanks! I am not brace enough to attempt something like that. I will probably just play them. I was just curious what the experienced club builders thought. Hosel drilling does make sense though.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

This is GolfWRX you sell them and buy a new set. Easy Peasy!

• Like 1

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

I do really like these irons. Not planning on changing at the moment.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

Mizuno does have "A" and "B" heads. I'm not sure off the top of my head which is heavier or lighter. You should find out if they are the heavier version could help solve your problem.

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

You did not ask for it, but IF, and this is a BIG IF, the LONG end of your set is the clubs that "feels head heavy", this might be a Swing weight SYSTEM issue.

The classic SW system where we use the same value for all irons, might look like its "equal" on the paper, but the fact is that it gives us progressive higher resistance as we go longer.

The alternative to SW matching is MOI matching where all clubs is made to have the same actual resistance (we swing them all the same, just like a Single length set, without being single length)

To figure out if this might be the issue and MOI match the solution, test your #9 and the longest iron side by side. If you feel that the #9 is good, and the #3 or #4 is a tad heavy (head heavy), then a mod to MOI match is the way forward. This chart below is a DIY MOI match in 6 different length progression options, most of them actually need some weight added back to the long irons, but here we take advantage of that SW value drops when we go shorter, but we DONT go shorter on all clubs, we leave the #9 iron as it is if that club is good. ALL options below will make a set where all clubs becomes like the #9 iron, the difference is how short we go in the long end.

The fast and easy, is the 10.7 mm options. We simply butt cut all clubs from #8 and longer with 2.0 mm progressive for each club (#8 = 2.0 mm then #7 = 4.0 mm, then #6 6.0 mm etc...) If the set is 3-PW our new #3 iron becomes about 0.5" inch shorter, or in the area of 3 SWP below your #9, but thats the difference they shall have as MOI matched. If your go 10.7 mm, there is no need for head weight adjustments, the new progression slope is all taken care of by the progressive butt cut alone, so this is "Measure 2x, cut once, add grips, get out and play"....cant be easier than that.

The other options need a head weight adjustment to get on the right resistance slope so all irons become as the #9 irons. The chart tells how many grams head weight we need to add after shortening, and as DIY we can go all the way to a 7.70 mm slope (progressive butt cut of 5 mm pr club), who gives us a #3 iron a tad shorter than a standard #5 irons, so here we can get "2 clubs shorter in" without buying a new driver.....

SO, try off the longest iron in the set, and compare to your #9 - then try the "tape down" method on the longest iron about 0.5 shorter and compare feel again.....if thats better you know what to do. PS! the 3/8" option or 1/8" progressive but cut is the most common choice, but here we have a few more options.

FSLUW4EP3K7A.jpg

What miss, with your irons, plagues you? Can you take a few clubs out that are d3 and hit them on course to see if sw change will be good?

If you do plan to change the SW then...did you build the set yourself? D6 is 6g heavier than most standard sets. Are there tip weights in them that you could replace? That would be least intrusive but would require reshaft of all clubs. You can get tip weights for about $15 shipped.

If you are worried about weight, I would look at total weight more than SW. You are playing 130g shafts which are about as heavy as you will find. Might look at dropping 10 grams and seeing what that does. If you find a neutral balanced or slightly more counter balanced shaft you can drop the total weight and swing weight at the same time.

They came direct from the factory that way. My signature is not correct. These are cobra king forged irons. With 130 gram kbs $ taper shafts.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

They most likely have tip weights if they came with $-Tapers.

I bought 2 sets of Forged Tec Blacks-1 with $-Taper 125s and 1 set with $-Taper 130s.

The $-Tapers are counterbalance and will probably have 6-8 gram tip weights. Mine were 1/4” longer than standard and had 8 gram tip weights.

Adjusting to lighten the SW should be easy by adjusting those tip weights.

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

The $-tapers are not really counterbalanced. They have a slightly higher balance point than normal but the both the Tour-V and regular Tour shafts are higher and still barely considered "counterbalanced".

Bridgestone 

Your current SW is D6.....so to try, just choke down 1/4"...….and now you are swinging a club at D4.5!

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Diamana WB 53X / Ventus Blue+ 5X / Vanquish 4TX

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Lop off 1/2” or put a heavier grip on.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING PLD Anser 2D

BRILLIANT!! hahaha.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I have a set of Mp20 MMCs (Standard L/L/L) with the 130 $-tapers. I did not specify swing weight and them came in around D0. I guess if you want to call it just a high balance point shaft that is fine, but there is some impact on SW. If OPs came in at D6 and are standard length, I bet there are some tip weights that can be removed

Mine are plus 1/5 inch in length.

BALL; Chrome Soft X

What grips are you using? I skimmed through the other responses and didn't see anyone ask this (apologies if they did). Also, you can pull the heads to see if there are tip weights in the shafts.

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

Swingweight measures torque (weight x length) about a fulcrum 14" from the end of the shaft. These torque numbers are converted into a swingweight value, which is a scale someone invented for (presumably) simplification.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"