Low Compression Surlyn Golf Balls in 2020

BogeyParBogey

As time it seems like a greater percentage of golfers use urethane versus surlyn and tests have been posted from various test sites that show low compression golf balls have less ball speed than higher compression golf balls.

Is anyone planning to use a Wilson Staff Duo+ / Callaway Supersoft / Maxfli Softfli, etc... this year?

I'm somewhat interested in trying the Duo+. I'm a big Staff fan and really like the look of the ball with the shield and Wilson text, the idea of lower spin can work well on the muni type courses I frequent, and the cost is right.

Dave

I am currently playing the tru feel ball. It is the 15th or so ball I have tried to replace the gamer soft which I used for 4 plus years. I may try the new Wilson. I asked if anyone has tried the 5 th gen q star but no replies yet. I auditioned the soft response last weekend but it did not have good enough spin around the green which surprised me for a 3 piece ball.

BTW at my driver speed, mid 90’s, there is no distance loss for me. Any variation is rollout.

Good topic that seems to get lost here. I am excited to use the Srixon Soft Feel as my gamer this year. 60 compression. I get nice distance for a slow swing speed. If I play a low running chip, it seems to work fine on the greens. Also, it has a nice yellow color. I find the very soft balls you mention, are too soft and lack feel. I suspect feel is a personal thing and based on swing speed. The price is also decent. You can buy two dz and get 1 dz free now. + 1 on the Wilson Shield! If I saw the Wilson Soft Spin (40 compression) retail, I'd pick that up as well.

• Like 1

I’m a persimmon and classic iron player and have tried many different balls over the past two year looking for the right fit from Pro V1’s to Chrome Soft, Kirkland, Bridgestone Tour, Top Flite Gamer, etc and the best ball for me has been the lowly $20 a double dozen Wilson Zip. They are as long or longer for me than the premium urethane balls and spin well around the green. I thought I’d miss the feel of a urethane ball off the irons but the Zip feels great. Not sure how they off a modern driver face but at the price it’s a easy trial without much to lose.

• Like 1

I have been gaming Supersoft, Soft Feel and Duo for the last two years. Last year I gamed the Soft Feel exclusively and I loved it and was able to do great things with them. I have a mid 90's swing speed and usually play municipal courses. I did bring it to the Philippines and played some nice courses there. I did not have any issues. I got used to the low spin and never had any issues with the wedges as well. I was able to shoot some games in the mid 70's with the Soft Feel last year. I got them last June when Srixon had that buy one get one promo. Not bad for the price!

This year I plan on using the Taylormade Project S as they were on sale earlier for $10 per dozen. I also got some cheap Tp5x with practice stamped on them. I'll test them against the usual soft surylyn I play.

Even though it's urethane, the Wilson FG Tour is a superb ball. 70 Compression I think. Just got a bunch for under $20/doz from Budget Golf.

That said, I also like the Duo. A weird thing I find with the lower compression balls is that they don't go as far for me off the driver, but they go noticeably farther off of irons. Over-compression off the driver? I have no idea. I also like the Top Flite Gamer. Lower compression as well.

Mizuno STG 440/Kai'li Blue 70x

Mizuno MP 650 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

The FG Tour isn't 70 Compression. It's around 100. Wilson publishes compression based on the core, not on the ball. They claim the Duo Pro is 60 but it's really in the high 80's to low 90's. Similar to the Q-Star Tour, TM Tour Preferred and Chromesoft. You can never believe the compression ratings coming from the manufacturers.

A soft ball is always a slower ball. It's also usually a low spin ball off lofted clubs. The lower ball speed is why it goes shorter off a driver. The lower spin is why it goes further with your irons. Ball makers have wagered that for amateurs, reducing spin and giving a little distance off the irons will more than compensate for the loss of distance off a driver (which for those swinging under 100MPH is minimal anyway).

I'm curious if more golfers use urethane. I would have bet it's Surlyn. All the inexpensive balls are Surlyn and most of the players I see are using cheap balls and that's about all I find on the course. For many, Surlyn is more consistent around the green. It rolls out every time. With urethane, sometimes it spins and stops and sometimes it rolls out. I have a couple dozen supersoft I received for free. Not a huge fan of them. I'm going to try pro line balls this year and especially when the greens dry out. I'm spinning urethane balls back crazy on my local course with its mushy greens this time of year.

I've been a SuperSoft or SoftFeel player over the last 2 seasons or so. For me, it's impossible to tell whether there is any distance loss off the driver, as strike and playing conditions matter much much more. I do feel like these balls go 1/2 club longer off the irons due to lower spin. But I also think they have a higher trajectory and generally stop quick enough on full swing iron/wedge shots.

Obviously they spin less around the greens. As someone who shoots in the low-mid 80s most of the time, it's not clear whether this is good or bad. I tracked my up and down stats quite closely last year. Took specific note of how many shots more greenside spin would have been useful. Multiply that by any sensible conversion percentage, and we are talking at most a shot lost vs. the urethane ball. And again, it may be no difference or a benefit just playing a consistent, basic pitch that rolls out.

I've never noticed a substantial difference in distance in any ball I've played. I'm a low swing speed (85-90 Driver) high spin player. I always choose a ball by the way it feels off my putter and the right spin(for me) around the green.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Q Star Tour balls are $33, unless you buy last years model.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

• 6 months later...

Low compression balls yield better results for players with slower swing speeds when using long irons. 
For example, with a four iron, I may get 165 yards out of a Pro V1x, and unless I flush it, it will feel like hitting a rock.  
If I hit a Softfli, Tru Feel, etc... with a four iron I’ll likely get 175-180 yards, and even a mis-hit doesn’t leave the harsh feeling of a poor strike that a high compression ball does.
When I finish a round where my long iron play has been solid, my scores are always better.  
I think a lot of players avoid low compression balls because their playing partners razz them on the first tee for playing a soft ball, or they get caught up in the “hype” of companies like Titleist saying they should do a ball fitting by starting out around the green and selecting a ball that spins enough to check up on short shots. 
Find a ball that performs well with your long irons, and you won’t need to worry nearly as much about getting a three quarter sand wedge to hit and check from 50 yards.  

Ping G410 Plus 10.5*

Ping G 3 wood 16*

Ping G15 20* & 23* hybrids

Ping G700 irons 5/UW

Ping Gorge Tour 56* & 60*

Putter Ping Zing 2 BeCu 

When I'm hitting the ball well then the best ball for me is the firmer, higher spinning balls and I'll go with one of the X or Xv balls. I have had some decent luck this season riding the regular Z Star but I just never fell in love with it. If I'm putting too much bad spin then I'll go with a softer ball, typically the QST or a new found favorite, the E12 Speed.

Edited by chippa13

I’m to the point where playing a TruFeel, SuperSoft, Duo, or Soft Feel doesn’t make much of a difference. All are excellent balls. Duo and SuperSoft for those that want extra soft , the others for a slightly firmer feel and I mean ever so slightly firm. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

On 9/25/2020 at 9:52 AM, Mcfly said:

Low compression balls yield better results for players with slower swing speeds when using long irons
For example, with a four iron, I may get 165 yards out of a Pro V1x, and unless I flush it, it will feel like hitting a rock.  
If I hit a Softfli, Tru Feel, etc... with a four iron I’ll likely get 175-180 yards, and even a mis-hit doesn’t leave the harsh feeling of a poor strike that a high compression ball does.
When I finish a round where my long iron play has been solid, my scores are always better.  
I think a lot of players avoid low compression balls because their playing partners razz them on the first tee for playing a soft ball, or they get caught up in the “hype” of companies like Titleist saying they should do a ball fitting by starting out around the green and selecting a ball that spins enough to check up on short shots. 
Find a ball that performs well with your long irons, and you won’t need to worry nearly as much about getting a three quarter sand wedge to hit and check from 50 yards.  

So you're going to fit yourself for a ball based on your 4 iron rather than green side ? :classic_sad:  Good luck to you.

If you're playing "appropriate" tees for your game, and have more than 1 or 2 4 irons into the green, either your tee ball needs work or you're playing the course too long.

And how often DO you even hit the green with your 4 iron ? Not very I'm guessing. That being the case you're now left with a CHIP.

It is generally accepted that more spin around the green is better/easier for chipping; which most of us have to do far more often than we'd like to admit. 4 irons ?

No, just no.

And BTW, Titleist is far from the only one recommending buying a ball from the green back to the tee. But by all means, it's your game - up to you.  :classic_wink:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

2 hours ago, nsxguy said:

So you're going to fit yourself for a ball based on your 4 iron rather than green side ? :classic_sad:  Good luck to you.

If you're playing "appropriate" tees for your game, and have more than 1 or 2 4 irons into the green, either your tee ball needs work or you're playing the course too long.

And how often DO you even hit the green with your 4 iron ? Not very I'm guessing. That being the case you're now left with a CHIP.

It is generally accepted that more spin around the green is better/easier for chipping; which most of us have to do far more often than we'd like to admit. 4 irons ?

No, just no.

And BTW, Titleist is far from the only one recommending buying a ball from the green back to the tee. But by all means, it's your game - up to you.  :classic_wink:

I think he was giving an example with 4-iron distance discrepancies.

I prefer the "Tee to green" ball fitting method over the "green to tee".  Green to Tee makes more sense for pro's and elite players (IMHO).

I hit the lower compression balls (urethane or ionomer) 1 club longer and it helps my scoring very much.  There are only a few situations a month where I have actually needed a high spin ball around the greens to score better but it would have still required me to hit an elite shot which my 13 handicap rarely allows me to pull off anyway.

Regards

Edited by rwbloom93

17 minutes ago, rwbloom93 said:

I think he was giving an example with 4-iron distance discrepancies.

I prefer the "Tee to green" ball fitting method over the "green to tee".  Green to Tee makes more sense for pro's and elite players (IMHO).

I hit the lower compression balls (urethane or ionomer) 1 club longer and it helps my scoring very much.  There are only a few situations a month where I have actually needed a high spin ball around the greens to score better but it would have still required me to hit an elite shot which my 13 handicap rarely allows me to pull off anyway.

Regards

Well, I suppose you could be right but he ended with accusing Titleist of "hype" by them suggesting to pick your ball from the green back to the tee. I would suggest that this is the most prevalent opinion on picking a ball. That said, by all means, a player is free to do what he wants.

And he ended with "Find a ball that performs well with your long irons, and you won’t need to worry nearly as much about getting a three quarter sand wedge to hit and check from 50 yards".

It almost sounds the same as the player who wants to "fill in the gaps in the top end of his bag (the longer clubs) when, IMO, filling your gaps within the shorter clubs, i.e. the "scoring" clubs, makes far more sense - but I could be wrong there (as well ?). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

On 9/27/2020 at 10:53 AM, nsxguy said:

No, just no.

My bad.  Didn’t mean to get into “your area.”  

Ping G410 Plus 10.5*

Ping G 3 wood 16*

Ping G15 20* & 23* hybrids

Ping G700 irons 5/UW

Ping Gorge Tour 56* & 60*

Putter Ping Zing 2 BeCu 

I love Super Soft and Duo balls. I positively know ProV1s are the best balls in town, but I’ve never used them so I’m pretty adapted to the short game with cheaper balls. 

Last weekend I played with our club champion, and when on the tee he says “Wilson Staff 3.”

”Boy, that’s MY ball,” I cracked laughing. 

My only complain with low comp balls is windy days, they are like paper balls, very hard to get this lower penetrating traj shot, especially with a crosswind. 

I’m a short hitter and on a calm day the duo is one of the longest balls for me.