New Irons Recommendations

Guest DJ07

I currently game an old set of Titleist DCI 762 irons and am desperately looking to upgrade. I don’t need the absolute newest irons, but at least want a set made somewhat recently. I‘ve played off and on for a couple of years, but I’ve really been consistently playing a round or two every week since May. I am about a 12 handicap/usually shoot in the mid to high 80s.

I have been looking at new and older models of Callaway Apex, Mizuno JPX forged and hot metal, Taylormade P790, Titleist T100S or T200, Sub70 699, and Wilson D7 forged. For some of the bigger name brands, I have been able to find used sets for all comparable prices, so in terms of just the irons alone, which of those—or other models not mentioned—are the most highly recommended? Also, should I be looking for GI irons, or would I benefit from more of a players’ iron in terms of improvement and lowering my scores as I keep playing more consistently?

Thanks for all the help. I originally posted this under the wrong forum topic, so I put it in the one where I was actually trying to post.

Besides the release year and some design differences, what is the difference between Mizuno MP lines and the JPX lines? Obviously, they are Mizuno irons, so they are going to be quality, but does one feel better or worse, or does one cater to a certain type of player?

Look more in the GI irons. Players irons don't give much forgiveness when you're not swinging well.

Advice from a veteran teaching pro whom I know: "Get clubs for the swing you have today, not the one you hope to have next year." When you start shooting in the 70s, you might consider the Players irons.

Of the ones you mentioned, the Callaway Apex and the Mizuno JPX and the Hot Metals all have good reputations.

Note that the major OEMs make solid clubs these days. In the short run, hit different iron models that look interesting. Then get some fitting data to see how they perform. In the end, take the two or three finalists and go wiht theone that gives you the most confidence over the ball.

In my case, most of the major manufacturers make at least one iron model I could play - as long as I had the right shaft in it.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

All of the irons on your try list are great options. You have to hit them, preferably outside, to see what works for you. You can eliminate some irons pretty quickly.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

I’ll throw out the Srixon Z series irons.

A blended set of 745 and 545 or 765 and 565...

I have the 745s and they rock but I wish I had a blended set with 4-6 in the 545/565 line and am figuring out how to make that happen with my shafts.

Thats also a line of clubs that would grow with you if you got better - like I don’t know if you’d ever change out of those but they are eminently playable by a 12 IMO. I’m a 10 and play them (but definitely get the z545/z565 in the long irons!!).

Thank you! These are all the points I was looking for. I definitely need to go and hit them and see how they all feel. Also, I really like your point to not think I can grow into irons, but instead grow out of ones.

I play to a 12 currently, with Ping i200 in the bag. Best fitting irons I’ve played previously were JPX 850 Forged, Callaway X Forged, and Srixon Z 745. You could handle Apex or Apex Pro too. Pretty much anything with an “X” somewhere in there should be good. Lol. Check out Ben Hogan PTx Pro then too. (seriously, they look like pretty sweet irons, PTx were pretty good) Or.....give it a couple days to see more on the JPX 921 release.JPX tends to appeal to modern, techy design sensibilities, and MP more traditional. Both beautiful in their own way, and enough variety to serve a wide range of golfers. The JPX “forged” model typically fits the widest range of golfers. JPX “Tour” is their compact players CB, MMC a Forged players CB with a little more help. HMB, “forged”, “hot metal pro” models, appeal to the mid-handicapper, each has a subtly different look and feel. HMB is hollow, softest of the three, launches highest. Forged, middle of the road; HM Pro, I don’t know, lowest trajectory & spin(?)(only hit it once). Hot metal is the widest sole, max forgiveness and distance.

Like I said, Ping i200 is pretty awesome.

Spring 2024

Callaway Mavrik Max 1W 10.5° HZRDUS Smoke 60

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 3W 15° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx LS 5W 17.5° HZRDUS Smoke 70

Cobra LTDx 4Hy 21° HZRDUS Smoke 80

Srixon ZU85 4U 23° / Z585 6i-7i / Z785 8i-AW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56° 60°
SeeMore Mini Giant DF / Piretti Teramo / MannKrafted MA99 Proto

https://www.golfwrx.com/660122/witb-golfwrx-members-edition-jbrunk/

Pings irons seem indestructible to me. You can get a set and they are usually looking ok and play great. That’s what I got a bit ago. Ie1 are worth a look.

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

just picked up a set of Apex 19s and couldn’t believe how good they feel. This is coming from a 14 HC who is a bad ball striker. Thin shots didn’t lose much distance and don’t leave my fingers numb. I‘m upgrading from a set of old TM Rocketbladez. Even if you don’t go with the Apex irons, at least give them a try.

I would definitely take a look at the Srixon Z585 or 585/785 combo. I recently switched to the Z785 and I love them. just moved up from a more playeresque set of cobras. They still look super nice at address and inspire plenty of confidence. The x45 and x65 series are also worth a look! You can usually score a like new set for around 500! Give them a shot and I think you'll be surprised!

I actually did the PING nFlight fitting and was recommended into the i200s. I will definitely find a place to demo all of the clubs that have been recommended and see what I like best. I have been doing a lot of research the last few weeks, and I'm really liking the various opinions I've gotten instead of just the same "newer is better" pitch.

So I am going to be bias and honest at the same time, I recommend the Ping iBlade, i200 or i210, very forgiving, great feel, workable and durable, I have been playing iBlades since release and have not changed, I have access to demo all Ping equipment, some might feel better, or be longer, but numbers don't lie, iBlades (for me) work best, that said, if you see my signature, I don't have any of the latest equipment, I do have the driver heads (G400 and G410 LST) the G gives me the best results, if it could sound like the 410 it would be perfect...demo a few and play what fits you best, take care and good luck

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

I’ll be the *sshole. Pick a head you like and start from there. If you can’t hit it well: pick another. Surely blades might be too much, but if you don’t like the SGI’s: don’t pick them. As long as you’re able to hit them (somewhat) consistently it’ll be fine. As a 12 handicap you will have misses, what you should be looking for is a consistent miss.

The combination of head+shaft is what you’re looking for and keep in mind that the shaft that works for one head might not work as well with another. Headweights vary, shaft weight varies, some heads spin more, some heads will give you a higher launch. But I’m adamant that bad heads are hard to find.

Slapping the ball around a bit, having loads of fun.

You seem to be a bit all over the map with the list of potential iron choices in your opening post. You've got Hot Metals which are GI if not close to SGI, JPX Forged which are players distance, P790 which are hollow body construction, etc. You're coming from DCI 762 which are pretty dated, don't offer any free distance and have relatively low forgiveness. They are probably shafted with DG S300.

You've told us what you shoot, but nothing about your iron play and what you want to achieve in upgrading your irons. I also don't see any mention of shaft choice which is as important as the club head. Would it make sense to determine what performance gains you want from a new set of irons and then restrict yourself to focusing your search within a specific iron category? And also figure out where you want to be in terms of shaft.

Don't know how anyone can give you a recommendation base on "I shoot mid to high 80s".

I don't think you're being an ***hole at all. I definitely need to go demo some clubs to see what I like and get fit because it is no real use to throw down for new clubs without having them tuned to my game. Thanks

I played DCI 762s for several years. After that AP2 716 and 718. Would recommend going with Titleist T100 from there if you're wanting a new set. T100's are better feeling and more forgiving than the 762s. If you want more distance and even more forgiveness look into TM P790, Titliest T200, or Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (or wait for 921 forged) in that order. The last 3 listed might be best if you're shooting in the mid to high 80s even as forgiving as T100 are.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 54.14 F - TT DG TI S400

Vokey SM10 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

Fair points. I started my initial post with a very detailed breakdown of my game, but I had seen other posts where people just put a handicap/score and usually that was enough for commenters to make suggestions.

To address your first point: yes, my irons are very dated and are shafted with DG S300. What I am looking for with my next irons is a set that offers more distance and forgiveness like a GI iron, but maintains the look of a players' iron. Since my clubs are so dated, the lofts are very weak compared to my buddies I play with, and my irons punish me for slight mishits, so I would like a less workable iron.

In terms of my iron play, I can strike my PW (46º) up to my 7 iron fairly consistently and it tends to have a slight draw. My misses with these clubs tends to be when I get a little fast on my downswing and I either keep my face open, causing a slice. Or, if after I slice, I tend to overcompensate and hook my next iron shot before finding my rhythm again. I carry my 7 iron (34º) about 155-160 and hit it well fairly consistently. I am most comfortable with my PW at 115 yards and in, meaning I have the most confidence once I get there to know I am only a shot and at worst 2 putts from finishing the hole.

With my long irons, I hit them okay, but I have bad habit of trying to swing too hard and slicing them. I also end up fatting a lot of my longer irons, but since taking lessons, I have learned it is because I stand too wide with improper hand setup and had the ball wrongly placed in my stance. I have gained confidence with my longer irons to hit a couple of good shots a round with them, but my 3–6 irons hook and slice more than I would like.

In terms of shaft choice, I may likely need to get fitted. Up until February, I never had my own clubs. I always had borrowed my dad's forged Mizuno irons with DG S300 shafts. That is the only shaft I know. The shots I hit well have a good medium/high flight, which I like because they don't balloon up in the air, and I have no problem getting my shots airborne, aside from mishits. I tend to play most of my rounds in the afternoons on the muni courses in California's central valley, so since the greens are dry and hard by the time I get to the course, my ball does not check up as well as I'd like. The few rounds I have played early on nicer courses in my area, my ball checks up fine with no issues, and I have played a variety of different balls and brands (Vice Pro and Pro Plus, Cut Blue, Bridgestone Tour B X, Kirkland Performance +, Pro V1/V1x).

There is so much good info here. The fact that a shaft is good in one head but not another is s very often overlooked fact. So many players use the same shaft without even demoing it, through different model irons just because it worked in a previous set.

And so true about not finding bad heads. Just have to find one you like the looks of that you can hit consistently.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

The Apex line has some real winners and the Apex CF16 is one of them. I also hear the 2014 Apex is a big favorite as well. I have the Apex 16 and 19, and I think the CF 16 is more forgiving, but just got the 19's, so time will tell. The Apex line has great feel around the green, which is huge for me.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

So true. Low spinning heads like Srixon pair better with slightly higher spinning shaft when titleist t100/t200 pair better for me with a lower spinning shaft. Great point. I’ve found weight basically stays the same though.

• Like 1

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

Sometimes the combination of head+shaft gives you consistency in how you can hit the ball, but you’ll have too much or not enough spin. Just remember you can change balls too! Your fitter should be able to tell you what ball might help, while taking into account your preferences for feel.

Slapping the ball around a bit, having loads of fun.

Great point with changing out the ball. Forgot about that factor.

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash