Monte's new No Turn - Cast

Hawkeye77

One thing that has helped me tremendously, and perhaps you as well if you try it, is FEELING like I wait for my left shoulder to get in line with/past my head before FEELING like my head moves slightly downward towards the ball during the backswing. My whole issue and why I have been turned on to this swing method is because of my overswing BS by dipping my head towards the ball, losing posture etc. etc.

The feeling of waiting for the left shoulder (RH golfer) to get in line/slightly passed the head during the BS has been a gamechanger for me. From there I can just think about throwing my angles from the transition and all is well. Hope this little cue may help you out in your NTC swing evolution. Happy golfing!

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

On 5/11/2022 at 12:53 PM, rnolan79 said:

The Justin Rose drill was a game changer for me when it comes to pairing with no-turn cast. It just keeps me closed longer and gives me all the time in the world to square the clubface. 

Same, this drill is actually one my instructor gave me a couple months ago. I tend to open up my chest too quickly on the downswing and the Rose drill really helps my ball striking.

Ping G400 Max @9.9* (Alta CB 55 Stiff)

Titleist TSi2 4 wood @16.5* (Tensei AV Blue RAW 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 7 wood @19.5(Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 4 Hybrid @23* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Ping G410 5 Hybrid @26* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Srixon ZX5 6-AW (Nippon Modus 105 Stiff)

Callaway MD5 Tour Grey W-Grind 54* & X-Grind 58*  (DG S200)

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock Putter (Odyssey Armlock Steel 40")

Srixon Z-Star

JMX XS Ultralite Grips

On 5/15/2022 at 9:21 PM, BTP said:

One thing that has helped me tremendously, and perhaps you as well if you try it, is FEELING like I wait for my left shoulder to get in line with/past my head before FEELING like my head moves slightly downward towards the ball during the backswing. My whole issue and why I have been turned on to this swing method is because of my overswing BS by dipping my head towards the ball, losing posture etc. etc.

The feeling of waiting for the left shoulder (RH golfer) to get in line/slightly passed the head during the BS has been a gamechanger for me. From there I can just think about throwing my angles from the transition and all is well. Hope this little cue may help you out in your NTC swing evolution. Happy golfing!

Agree. When NTC started to work for me, it was when I really was rotating to 8 o clock, not just by pure laziness stopped at 7 o clock. Huge difference and quite often w a Nice draw.

(motherlanguage Swedish) 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chare said:

Took the NTC drill to the range today for the first time. Anyone willing to take a look at this video and give me some tips? Thanks!

Need to actually turn your hips in the backswing and get some depth with the body. Right hip (or buttcheek, however you like to visualize) goes back and around the left. Basically stop restricting your hips.

There might be other things earlier in your takeaway chain, but I'm bad at recognizing those.

• Thanks 1

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

It's amazing how well this works. Was hitting balls on the range today and my tendency to get steep with the intention to hit/go-after the ball from the top went into overdrive apparently. Massive toe strikes, could not find the center at all. Started hitting slow 100 yd 7 irons really working on the cast A feel and immediately started having heel strikes, quickly found the center and rest of the range session went great.

Ping G400 Max @9.9* (Alta CB 55 Stiff)

Titleist TSi2 4 wood @16.5* (Tensei AV Blue RAW 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 7 wood @19.5(Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff)

Ping G410 4 Hybrid @23* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Ping G410 5 Hybrid @26* (Alta CB 70 Stiff)

Srixon ZX5 6-AW (Nippon Modus 105 Stiff)

Callaway MD5 Tour Grey W-Grind 54* & X-Grind 58*  (DG S200)

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock Putter (Odyssey Armlock Steel 40")

Srixon Z-Star

JMX XS Ultralite Grips

8 hours ago, Roffe said:

Agree. When NTC started to work for me, it was when I really was rotating to 8 o clock, not just by pure laziness stopped at 7 o clock. Huge difference and quite often w a Nice draw.

You got this key concept across better than I can.  It's true.  You can't get lazy with the arm positions in the backswing.  It sets the stage for the clubhead to stay behind the hands through most of the downswing.

10 hours ago, Chare said:

Took the NTC drill to the range today for the first time. Anyone willing to take a look at this video and give me some tips? Thanks!

Your butt is sticking out a little too much at address, and, as mentioned, your hips have no depth. This is forcing you to stand up in the backswing. Fix these things first. 

5 hours ago, games said:

You got this key concept across better than I can.  It's true.  You can't get lazy with the arm positions in the backswing.  It sets the stage for the clubhead to stay behind the hands through most of the downswing.

14 hours ago, Roffe said:

Just be careful. The 8o’clock instruction is specifically for those who get long and disconnected. For most people all that is required from 7 o’clock is a small turn of the shoulders. The hands and arm unit have done their work. 

Edited by TheDeanAbides

Making progress, I just need to be really disciplined about removing speed from the equation to ingrain these motions. I’m really starting to get the feel for how the takeaway needs to start.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

2 hours ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

Making progress, I just need to be really disciplined about removing speed from the equation to ingrain these motions. I’m really starting to get the feel for how the takeaway needs to start.

Speed has always been my problem just too quick. Really hard to stop it. 

great choice in music 👍🏻

39 minutes ago, Lordswood said:

Speed has always been my problem just too quick. Really hard to stop it. 

great choice in music 👍🏻

Mine too, my natural tempo is quite fast. I can't take credit for the music, this range I go to always seems to be playing a selection of classics. 

Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

ProV1x

20 hours ago, Chare said:

Need better backswing pelvis movement 

• Thanks 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

34 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

This will fix itself as a result of better mechanics earlier in the swing.

I hope so, I noticed the same thing, I was working on trying to get the club exiting more left with less rotation the other night. 

Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

ProV1x

37 minutes ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

I hope so, I noticed the same thing, I was working on trying to get the club exiting more left with less rotation the other night. 

This left exit will definitely begin to happen by itself when you have the room for it. 

4 hours ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

I just saw that you posted this. What happens when you just swing without the set?

10 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

This left exit will definitely begin to happen by itself when you have the room for it. 

I just saw that you posted this. What happens when you just swing without the set?

Still looks a lot like the swing I posted last week, I was doing some more fluid swings with no pause the other night just at low speed, was one of the best range sessions I’ve had in a while, but it still doesn’t look like that. I think too much speed early just gets me off track right away.

Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

ProV1x

4 minutes ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

Still looks a lot like the swing I posted last week, I was doing some more fluid swings with no pause the other night just at low speed, was one of the best range sessions I’ve had in a while, but it still doesn’t look like that. I think too much speed early just gets me off track right away.

What happens if you swing with the intention of transitioning when you’re at P3? I bet that’ll tidy things  up at the top.

5 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

What happens if you swing with the intention of transitioning when you’re at P3? I bet that’ll tidy things  up at the top.

It's interesting you ask, that was one of the things I was doing the other night, I felt what was P3, tried to feel cast A, and then hit it. Didn't get it on video but it felt great. It seems to force P3 into a better spot. 

Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

ProV1x

3 minutes ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

It's interesting you ask, that was one of the things I was doing the other night, I felt what was P3, tried to feel cast A, and then hit it. Didn't get it on video but it felt great. It seems to force P3 into a better spot. 

I had the same issue of getting long and loose, and it was largely working on P3 only swings that tightened it up. A full swing is nothing more than a small shoulder turn from there, and while we can intellectually understand that it takes time to feel the truth of it. Especially when you have a swing with a fast tempo like yours.

I do love so much about your swing, and if you can get it in a more Adam Scott like P4 and then see what happens at impact you might find you can exit left a little easier. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I had the same issue of getting long and loose, and it was largely working on P3 only swings that tightened it up. A full swing is nothing more than a small shoulder turn from there, and while we can intellectually understand that it takes time to feel the truth of it. Especially when you have a swing with a fast tempo like yours.

I do love so much about your swing, and if you can get it in a more Adam Scott like P4 and then see what happens at impact you might find you can exit left a little easier. 

I appreciate it, I'm really determined to make these changes and make them stick. 

• Like 1

Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

ProV1x

One thing that confuses me. 

I'm a chronic shoulder opener. Once I get to the top, I can't wait to rip my shoulders around. It's a problem. 

Having lessons in the past with Monte, and studying the NTC video, I look to Justin Rose as an example to keep my shoulders closed longer to get the wrist and arms moving correctly. I get all that. 

Here's the source of my confusion, what's the difference between staying closed longer and swinging to right field? 

If I stay closed longer, my path has to get kicked out to the right correct? But swinging to right field is a bandaid, not to be used on a round to round basis. 

What am I missing here??

1 hour ago, ronw04 said:

One thing that confuses me. 

I'm a chronic shoulder opener. Once I get to the top, I can't wait to rip my shoulders around. It's a problem. 

Having lessons in the past with Monte, and studying the NTC video, I look to Justin Rose as an example to keep my shoulders closed longer to get the wrist and arms moving correctly. I get all that. 

Here's the source of my confusion, what's the difference between staying closed longer and swinging to right field? 

If I stay closed longer, my path has to get kicked out to the right correct? But swinging to right field is a bandaid, not to be used on a round to round basis. 

What am I missing here??

Staying closed longer doesn’t necessarily make the path go right. Gives arms a bit of time to work away from shoulder and down before rotation starts taking them out to the target line.    

Swinging to right field usually has folks drop their right shoulder early, ee, and shallow - ee and shallow both move  path right.   Folks that swing out to right a lot don’t have a good balance of steeps and shallows in their swing.    Likewise swinging left.   

Motions that shallow the path move the path right - if you did nothing but shallowing moves from the top you’d swing perpendicular to the target line and hit way behind the ball.  Tyler Ferrell demo’d this in a video on steeps and shallows.   Likewise all steep moves will have you swing perpendicular to the ball - but in way in front of it - moves path left.  So extreme cases of in to out and out to in.

all shallow then all steep
FC2088F4-3319-4E98-AEF3-D29AB673A9CA.png.d9e35f27f1167f01ac0612b5ee99356b.pngD5CBAAC5-FCFD-4501-A746-BBD137489276.jpeg.3119bc8cc1fbceaab5c4b12b402aa1c2.jpeg

steep and shallow chart

achieving a neutral path is a matter of having a good balance of moves.    Barkley’s old swing is a good example of mostly steep, brains says whow can’t hit the ball, so mostly shallow.

https://golfsmartacademy.s3.amazonaws.com/files/SteepAndShallows.pdf

Edited by glk
  • Like 3

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

5 hours ago, glk said:

Staying closed longer doesn’t necessarily make the path go right. Gives arms a bit of time to work away from shoulder and down before rotation starts taking them out to the target line.    

Swinging to right field usually has folks drop their right shoulder early, ee, and shallow - ee and shallow both move  path right.   Folks that swing out to right a lot don’t have a good balance of steeps and shallows in their swing.    Likewise swinging left.   

Motions that shallow the path move the path right - if you did nothing but shallowing moves from the top you’d swing perpendicular to the target line and hit way behind the ball.  Tyler Ferrell demo’d this in a video on steeps and shallows.   Likewise all steep moves will have you swing perpendicular to the ball - but in way in front of it - moves path left.  So extreme cases of in to out and out to in.

all shallow then all steep
FC2088F4-3319-4E98-AEF3-D29AB673A9CA.png.d9e35f27f1167f01ac0612b5ee99356b.pngD5CBAAC5-FCFD-4501-A746-BBD137489276.jpeg.3119bc8cc1fbceaab5c4b12b402aa1c2.jpeg

steep and shallow chart

achieving a neutral path is a matter of having a good balance of moves.    Barkley’s old swing is a good example of mostly steep, brains says whow can’t hit the ball, so mostly shallow.

https://golfsmartacademy.s3.amazonaws.com/files/SteepAndShallows.pdf

What GLK said. 👍🏻👍🏻