The Tour set ups are too dang easy

KRAMER1997

The easy part of most courses the PGA Tour plays on is the green size! Most are very large and the rest are downright ridiculously huge! I would LOVE to see the GIR numbers for the pros if there were hitting to greens the size of most at the county course we play everyday. My GIR % would be way higher when I had a green bigger than my property to hit. 

Edited by Twism86

Small undulating greens and mother natures wind plus penalizing rough is only thing that can hold the equipment plus the modern player at BAY!

• Like 1

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

3 hours ago, farmer said:

I'd like to see if 4 scratch golfers could match that 27.  I'd even let them scramble.

27 under par in a four day scramble?  Piece of cake.  They would easily birdie all of the par 5's, most likely have a few eagles as well to balance out the occasional par.  That means only four more birdies each day on 15 holes. Plenty of cushion if they make a few bogies, which wouldn't be very many. 

• Confused 1

People; I want to see good golf

also people:  I wish people wouldn’t be so good at golf

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

I would love to see the banning of all green books but allow range finders.  These guys know the yardages, let them shoot it to speed things up... hopefully.  As for reading greens, I know they tightened up on the books but make them read their putts.  I was going to suggest not releasing the pin locations in advance  with the exception of a pin sheet at the start of their round but then I remembered that info is vital on they they approach into the greens and these guys are actually good enough to use this info effectively unlike a hack like myself.  Not having a pin sheet would mean endless pacing off on greens which would suck.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

LOL!....You are so right! On the pro level a guy that's a +3 is a journeymen. I think Bubba still carry a handicap at +7.

So lets say Bubba is +7
TPC Boston is rated 77.2 / 154
Bubba gets -5 strokes on the course to maintain his hcp. Saying on a normal day he should play around 67-70
Four days at 68 is -20 

I just don't see the problem that a course is too easy when based on their skill level multiple pro's should be around -20 based on their hcp. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GunGun said:

So lets say Bubba is +7
Bubba gets -5 strokes on the course to maintain his hcp. Saying on a normal day he should play around 67-70
Four days at 68 is -20 

I just don't see the problem that a course is too easy when based on their skill level multiple pro's should be around -20 based on their hcp. 

And that's exactly where the PGATOUR wants the score for most regular tour events......they have drivers, clubs and balls to sell. Every now and then they'll set the course up for -12 because of player like Tiger whose do not like a birdie fest...

There is only so much you can do to protect a course from 100 players that are essentially +8 handicaps.  The USGA and Augusta have weeks to get ready to keep the scores high.  TPC Boston and regular tour stops are being played by members the week before.

Edited by Oliver Klozoff

3 hours ago, GunGun said:

So lets say Bubba is +7
Four days at 68 is -20 

You are close. A +7 should shoot -call it 70(7 better than course rating)  just 20%of the time. And even if they shot 70 all four rounds they would just be -4. Par was 71 as compare to the normal par on that course of 73. AND...that course rating is from the back tees at 7216 yards. Not the tournament tees a bit over 7300.

However, course ratings don’t really apply to pros do they? The course rating is calculated for a scratch golfer that averages 250 off the tee. Not the guy that flies that with a 4 iron lol.

I agree with the posts that say most of us need to quit comparing ourselves to pros. They are not playing the same course or game we do. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

15 hours ago, oikos1 said:

27 under par in a four day scramble?  Piece of cake.  They would easily birdie all of the par 5's, most likely have a few eagles as well to balance out the occasional par.  That means only four more birdies each day on 15 holes. Plenty of cushion if they make a few bogies, which wouldn't be very many. 

So, my 4 scratch players would shoot something around 80 on a regular day, not from the tourney tees and not on a par 71.  I'd still like to see them give it a try.

dang...so many scratch golfers that can annihilate these pro courses.  ?I hit a decent distance and the tips on some of these serious courses have me shaking.  I cant even consider playing from back there.  The gap we have to clear is so large, the one time we tried, we were barely carrying the fairway.  We could barely even see in the distance where the heck we were supposed to land the balls.  I totally understand my old guy friends now when they think I drive like dechambeau when I play with them.  ? 

Honma 737-445cc 9.5 driver Honma Vizard 70g

Adams Pro Mini 18 Aldila Tour green

Adams Pro Mini 23 Aldila Tour green

Nike VR Forged MB 4-PW

Cleveland 588 Endo Forged MB 4-PW

Miura 50 Forged Wedge, Yururi Forged Wedge 53, Honma Forged Wedge 56

Ping Anser 4 BECU w/ UST frequency filtered shaft

Jones William Murray edition carry bag

23 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

Looks like Olympia fields put up the lawn mowers and hung up the water hoses.....tuck a few pins and a US open broke out......LOL!

Might be the hardest set up they play all year.  Very firm greens and pretty darn thick rough made for very difficult scoring conditions.

It will be interesting to see if they soften up the conditions over the next couple of days, so as not to embarrass the players.  Apparently the members at Olympia Fields really want their course to be darn, darn difficult.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I doubt these guys on tour are "only" +6 caps all said and done. 

I play with a lad (I'm in australia) who's daily cap is regularly +6 and he's likely to play to it 15% of the time at most, and he's just beating up the same track every week. 

a proper "travelling" +6 would be something even lower when it comes to a club handicap, probably +10.

i'm not sure how it works in the states, but this boy is just as likely to shoot 80 as he is 64 at any given time, the guys on tour just keep it low every round, every week

the comparisons just don't hold any water

image.png.cd11829e3b730dcf52300f99c60468e3.png

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gvogel said:

Might be the hardest set up they play all year.  Very firm greens and pretty darn thick rough made for very difficult scoring conditions.

It will be interesting to see if they soften up the conditions over the next couple of days, so as not to embarrass the players.  Apparently the members at Olympia Fields really want their course to be darn, darn difficult.

They will spritz the greens.....but the rough will remain at about six inches.

Seems pretty obvious the tour decides what they want the golf show to be.  All this nonsense talk about distance ruining the game, roll the ball back and course set-ups too easy is a bunch of hooey.  It could be like this every week but no one outside of the players would make any money.

The state of the game of golf on the PGA Tour is just fine.

1 hour ago, Titleist99 said:

Looks like Olympia fields put up the lawn mowers and hung up the water hoses.....tuck a few pins and a US open broke out......LOL!

Like this years API

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

7 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

Seems pretty obvious the tour decides what they want the golf show to be.  All this nonsense talk about distance ruining the game, roll the ball back and course set-ups too easy is a bunch of hooey.  It could be like this every week but no one outside of the players would make any money.

The state of the game of golf on the PGA Tour is just fine.

Yep, grounds crew the week/weekend of the PGA event consults with PGA staff on care and green speeds, etc.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

On 8/25/2020 at 6:27 AM, mcounci2 said:

It's the same argument as "make NBA hoops 14 feet off the ground, I hate these 120-114 games," or "push the fences back to 500 feet, home runs suck."

I think the complaint about seeing pros do very well stems from the (misplaced) idea that we are playing the same game the pros are, and the idea that some "woke" fans have that offense is too mainstream. 

Most people struggle at golf, and it's my feeling that people don't like to watch others be much much better at something than they are.  The majority of people cannot play football, baseball, real 5 on 5 basketball, or ice hockey, but most people can play golf.  If 11 on 11 full pad pickup games of football were common, I bet you'd have people wanting NFL fields to be 140 yards long. 

Think about "that guy" you know who thinks he could be the Cowboys' offensive coordinator, or who always mentions that they played baseball for 14 years and quit because they didn't want Tommy John.  It's always the same things...."I like 7-3 football games," "Pitchers' duels are REAL baseball," etc.  Wanting to see PGA pros hack out of rough, play defensively, card 290, and win is the same thing.  "Enfranchised" fans, in my experience, love the Defense>>Offense hot take, almost purely for the reason that it is, in fact, a hot take.

This is a good post and I like it very much. ?

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

On 8/28/2020 at 6:12 AM, GolfTurkey said:

Variety is the spice of life. Let them have the occasional birdie and eagle shootout, the occasional US Open style grind and then something in between the rest of the time. . 

At the end of the day, they are an entertainment product. Shouldn't be about what they want, should be about what's entertaining to the viewers. 30 under isn't entertaining to me, maybe it is to some though.