P770’s Have Arrived!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got mine this week and have 1 round and probably 500 range balls off of them. Mine are shafted with SteelFiber 95gm shafts.  I was gaming the Bridgestone J15 CB's with Recoil 110 F4 shafts and

Finally got on the course for the first time this morning, and was very pleased:   Looks - Best looking iron I have ever put in my bag. At address, just a great looking club, minimal offset,

Look what showed up today!! First test at 7:40 am tomorrow morning!!   Anyone else get theirs yet?

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, texcrom said:

Finally got on the course for the first time this morning, and was very pleased:

Looks - Best looking iron I have ever put in my bag. At address, just a great looking club, minimal offset, relatively thin top line. 

Feel - Surprisingly soft feel. I expected harder, with more of a click. As soft as my MP20 MMC’s but in a different way. Just soft, which I found very, very pleasing!

Forgiveness - Very pleased here, as a couple of shots that I felt like I missed ended up not off by much! This is why I bought these...my concession to loss of skills through aging, and wanted more forgiveness with a players club look and feel. Got it!

Distance - Initially seemed shorter than my Mizuno’s, and I was surprised. Turned out it was a result of 3 weeks off, and a temperature of 59 degrees at tee time. High flight, and distance in line with Mizuno’s (at almost 65 years old, life is a 150 yard 7 iron).

Dispersion - Excellent, but be aware these irons are straight! Back nine I managed a couple of very slight fades, but these are pretty much aim and shoot. 

Turf interaction - This was the best surprise of the day. My Mizuno’s typically cut a pretty deep divot, and an all too frequent heavy shot. The P770’s were smooth through the turf, and even in my first round with them I did not miss an iron shot. Great through the turf! Very pleased!!!

Very pleased with these!! Playing again Monday, and will know more after second round!

very nice.

I hit them today. 

mixed feelings - They were LONG.  10 yards longer than my t100.  They felt good not amazing.  They are also smaller than I thought - not much bigger than T100!

I was dead set on them but they aren't much different than the T100.

• Like 1

SIM MAX 10.5 TOUR AD DI 6 SIM MAX FAIRWAY 15 TOUR AD DI 7 SIM MAX HYBRID 19 TOUR AD DI 85 TITLEIST T100 3-PW PX 6.0 VOKEY SM8 CHROME 52 56S 60M PX6.0 2020 Newport

love the review, I'm still gaming the OG 770s with KBS tour Flt. Seeing all this i'm thinking of getting fit. I'm in my late 20s pretty new to golf 3 years curious about the distance i carry the 7 iron 170 right now but i could use the nice straight ball flight and forgiveness. 10 cap problems. loved the 2017 790s but was hitting 7 iron 195 into the sim when trying. maybe a combo set? and change the 770s loft. I struggle with the 4 iron like most, any more forgiving in the long irons vs the OG 770s? thanks. 

Flexy these should blend nicely with the OGs. The 790s blend as well but you must bend them 2d or so weaker, or ignore the number and double up (I carried 2 6 irons for example when trying them out, eventually bending a 6/5 ). The new 770s look tasty but my 790s have done me no wrong 🙂 

- b

8 hours ago, tigerfan23 said:

very nice.

I hit them today. 

mixed feelings - They were LONG.  10 yards longer than my t100.  They felt good not amazing.  They are also smaller than I thought - not much bigger than T100!

I was dead set on them but they aren't much different than the T100.

I find the feel as good, if not better than the T100.

More importantly, they are more forgiving than the T100’s, which makes them better for me!

And I had played full Titleist bags throughout the AP2 series irons, so still a fan of Titleist. 

WITB

Taylor Made SIM 10.5 degree Diamana S60 Limited Stiff
Taylor Made SIM 15 degree Diamana FW 75 Limited Stiff
Taylor Made SIM UDI 3 Diamana HY90 Thump Stiff
Taylor Made P770 4 - P KBS Tour 120 Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM8 52-12F
Titleist Vokey SM8 56-10S
Titleist Vokey SM8 60-12D
Odyssey O-force 2-Ball
Taylor Made TP5

GO VOLS!
On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 6:42 AM, texcrom said:

I find the feel as good, if not better than the T100.

More importantly, they are more forgiving than the T100’s, which makes them better for me!

And I had played full Titleist bags throughout the AP2 series irons, so still a fan of Titleist. 

This makes me happy to hear.  I'm currently playing 716 AP2's, and going to my fitter next week to try them out.  8 handicap, and looking for a little more forgiveness on mishits.  Just curious and excited to try different shafts in them and see the difference

Hit them on the simulator at PGA Superstore and really liked them. Just not a good enough ball striker and need the extra forgiveness, hence, hit the 790s much better.

Driver : Callaway Epic Flash 9° Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5 70X

3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash 14° Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5 80X

Hybrid : Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 19° Project X 6.5 Black Hybrid

Irons : 4 - P Callaway Apex Forged CF '16 KBS C-Taper 125 S+

Wedges : Callaway Mack Daddy 4 50°/10°S, 54 (playing at 55)° 11°S, 60°/12°X KBS 610 120 S 

Putter : Odyssey Bird of Prey 36"

4 hours ago, mjhuffer said:

Hit them on the simulator at PGA Superstore and really liked them. Just not a good enough ball striker and need the extra forgiveness, hence, hit the 790s much better.

You're a 4.5 HC and not good enough for these?  I'm around a 12 and could easily game these...….although iron play is the strongest part of my game.

Edited by JDMRN81
8 hours ago, JDMRN81 said:

You're a 4.5 HC and not good enough for these?  I'm around a 12 and could easily game these...….although iron play is the strongest part of my game.

Iron play is the worst part of my game through and through. Score well with distance and scrambling. I could definitely game the 770s but I would rather have the extra forgiveness of the 790s. Almost switched to them but numbers were too close to my apex's and $ didn't make sense.

Driver : Callaway Epic Flash 9° Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5 70X

3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash 14° Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5 80X

Hybrid : Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 19° Project X 6.5 Black Hybrid

Irons : 4 - P Callaway Apex Forged CF '16 KBS C-Taper 125 S+

Wedges : Callaway Mack Daddy 4 50°/10°S, 54 (playing at 55)° 11°S, 60°/12°X KBS 610 120 S 

Putter : Odyssey Bird of Prey 36"

15 hours ago, RxGolf1 said:

Felt soft, but a bit too spinny compared to my P790's (to be expected). But I tend to be a high spin player with most irons.

P790's are some of the best irons out there for folks who spin their irons too much.  

P770's will help those folks who were too low spin with the 790's and bought them anyways because of the distance, but now find what they think are hot spots, but are actually shots that they lost a bit of spin because of dirt or water or grass.

I found them extremely pleasing to look at, but like you I am an extremely high spin player, and the looks just didn't quite match the performance to switch and spend the money.  I don't think they were any less forgiving than the P790's, sure I am positive that there is a benefit in the 790's over the 770's, but not much of one for me.

• Thanks 1
  • Driver - Ping G410 LST on HZRDOUS Yellow
  • 3 Wood - TM M5 (15*) on HZRDOUS Yellow or Ping G410 (14.5*) on HZRDOUS yellow
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17* on Tour 85. ************* Member Tester TE Exotics Pro 17* on Tensei AV silver ****************
  • Irons - SUB70 testing ongoing
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50 and 54 CBX2 and RTX4 @ 58 and 62
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or  Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

I gave these a waggle last evening at Golf Galaxy on my way home.  Didn't have time to hit, but wow.... they are stunning in person.  Nice and compact.  I love my i210s, but I have a feeling some blend of P series will be in my bag by next golf season.  

TaylorMade SIM 10.5*, HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g 6.5
TaylorMade SIM Max 3W 15*, HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g 6.5
Titleist 818H1 21*, Tensei Pro White 90S
Taylormade P770 4-PW, KBS Tour 120 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58M

TaylorMade Spider X
SM 4.5LS 14 Way

7 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

P790's are some of the best irons out there for folks who spin their irons too much.  

P770's will help those folks who were too low spin with the 790's and bought them anyways because of the distance, but now find what they think are hot spots, but are actually shots that they lost a bit of spin because of dirt or water or grass.

I found them extremely pleasing to look at, but like you I am an extremely high spin player, and the looks just didn't quite match the performance to switch and spend the money.  I don't think they were any less forgiving than the P790's, sure I am positive that there is a benefit in the 790's over the 770's, but not much of one for me.

I noticed they were a little more workable, but not worth switching to. 

Came to these from the OG P790's and haven't missed a beat. They simply check all the boxes. Can't wait to use them again on Friday.

TaylorMade SIM Max - Fujikura Motore X F3 6

TaylorMade SIM Rocket 3 Wood - Fujikura Motore X F3 7

TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 3 - Fujikura Ventus Blue

TaylorMade P770 4-AW - Project X LZ

TaylorMade MG2 TW Grind 56 & 60 - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

TaylorMade My Spider X - KBS CT Tour

TaylorMade TP5X

39 minutes ago, ASN21 said:

Came to these from the OG P790's and haven't missed a beat. They simply check all the boxes. Can't wait to use them again on Friday.

How is the distance GAO between the 790 and 770? What do you like more about the 770’s? 

PXG 0811x Gen2 smoke Yellow
TM M4 15* AD DI 6S Black
TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
PXG 0211 4-PW Modus 120S
TM MG2 50* Modus 120S
TM MG2 54*
TM HT 60*
Scotty Special Select NP2

If I do end up changing irons over the winter, these will get serious consideration.  Was impressed with just trying a 7i quickly at a driver fitting, and have always loved the look of the '05 TP CB's.

SM 3.5 Bag:

Titleist TS3 8.5* w/ DI BB-6X

TM Sim Ti 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19*  w/ Atmos HB TS Blue 8X 

Ping I20 4-UW w/ Rifle 6.5 SS x1

Edel 54/58 w/ DG TI S400

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 

2 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

How is the distance GAO between the 790 and 770? What do you like more about the 770’s? 

Only one round in, so still need some more time to judge the distances properly. What I did was go one club down for each shot in regards to the 790’s. What I liked immediately was the looks. Definitely more compact and a thinner top line. Not a T100 top line like I was hoping for but thin enough to still provide confidence. They also seem pretty forgiving so far. My miss is toe side and I didn’t see a huge distance drop off. That’s what scared me away from the MC’s as a combo set. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade TP5X

On 8/31/2020 at 7:44 PM, gsrjc said:

How is the offset in the lower lofted clubs?       Someone mentioned it was a good amount to help not go right. 

The offset in the new 770's is identical to the original 770's. I play the originall 770's and have hit the new version. Neither version has much offset. IMO, the comments provided by the OP is spot on.

1 hour ago, Jace_bkr said:

First round with mine yesterday.. to be totally honest not sure I love them more than my t100’s.. time will tell though.. I will say the forgiveness in the long irons is noticeably better than my t100’s. 

What other differences did you find?  I’m looking at the 770 and t100S currently.  How much less forgiving were the long irons in the t100? Thanks.

Callaway Mavrik SZ Triple 💎9* (+1N) Aldila Copperhead 60TX/GD Tour AD VR 6S tipped 1”
TItleist TS2 16.5* (set to 15.75*) FW Tensei AV Blue 75X
Ping G410 19* Hybrid Evenflow Black 85 6.0
Taylormade p790 4i Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist T100-S 5-GW Modus 130S
Cobra King Black 54*, 58* Modus Wedge 115
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12 Custom 34.5”/PXG Bat Attack Darkness 35” Limited

11 minutes ago, Hookasaurus Rex said:

What other differences did you find?  I’m looking at the 770 and t100S currently.  How much less forgiving were the long irons in the t100? Thanks.

Mine are standard t100 not the S.

I seem to be hitting the 770’s About 5 yards shorter per club but it has to be the shaft.. the KBS seem to launch pretty HIGH and just fall out of the sky..

I will say, my usual left miss has yet to happen with them and dispersion is a lot better..

my miss is toward the toe on the longer irons and the t100’s seem to loose at least 20%.. the 770’s maybe 10% on the same miss.. 

Mine should arrive Wednesday and I can't wait.  I realize they will be shorter than the "players distance" irons I am gaming but I am more interested in holding greens and predictable distances than hitting a 7 iron 180 yards

1 hour ago, Lobber said:

Mine should arrive Wednesday and I can't wait.  I realize they will be shorter than the "players distance" irons I am gaming but I am more interested in holding greens and predictable distances than hitting a 7 iron 180 yards

Coming from the 790’s I gained more consistency. 

• Thanks 1

TaylorMade TP5X

Hit them on 3 occasions at GG this week.  Stock shafts fit pretty good for me.  I’m in between S and X soft stepped.  Ended up bringing home a set yesterday.  Played first round with them today.  Played very well.  Similar distances to my i210, maybe 5 yards longer per iron.  As others have mentioned, very good turf interaction for me.  Overall very pleased.  Good forgiveness, nice feel.  Was very pleased with short irons.  The stock grips are surprisingly incredible.  I can delay regripping these until the winter.

Edited by Hougz79

TaylorMade Spider X
SM 4.5LS 14 Way

1 minute ago, Hougz79 said:

Hit them on 3 occasions at GG this week.  Stock shafts fit pretty good for me.  I’m in between S and X soft stepped.  Ended up bringing home a set yesterday.  Played first round with them today.  Played very well.  Similar distances to my i210, maybe 5 yards longer per iron.  As others have mentioned, very good turf interaction for me.  Overall very pleased.  Good forgiveness, nice feel.  Was very pleased with short irons.  

Where did you find Someone with them in stock? None to be found in my area, and custom orders are into December now.

WITB

Taylor Made SIM 10.5 degree Diamana S60 Limited Stiff
Taylor Made SIM 15 degree Diamana FW 75 Limited Stiff
Taylor Made SIM UDI 3 Diamana HY90 Thump Stiff
Taylor Made P770 4 - P KBS Tour 120 Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM8 52-12F
Titleist Vokey SM8 56-10S
Titleist Vokey SM8 60-12D
Odyssey O-force 2-Ball
Taylor Made TP5

GO VOLS!
5 minutes ago, texcrom said:

Where did you find Someone with them in stock? None to be found in my area, and custom orders are into December now.

Local Golf Galaxy had a set.  I’m fortunate to be a standard length/lie guy.  The KBS Tour S is a good fit.  KBS Tour and DG are what I’ve generally gamed over the years.

TaylorMade Spider X
SM 4.5LS 14 Way