P770’s Have Arrived!

texcrom

40 minutes ago, texcrom said:

Finally got on the course for the first time this morning, and was very pleased:

Looks - Best looking iron I have ever put in my bag. At address, just a great looking club, minimal offset, relatively thin top line. 

Feel - Surprisingly soft feel. I expected harder, with more of a click. As soft as my MP20 MMC’s but in a different way. Just soft, which I found very, very pleasing!

Forgiveness - Very pleased here, as a couple of shots that I felt like I missed ended up not off by much! This is why I bought these...my concession to loss of skills through aging, and wanted more forgiveness with a players club look and feel. Got it!

Distance - Initially seemed shorter than my Mizuno’s, and I was surprised. Turned out it was a result of 3 weeks off, and a temperature of 59 degrees at tee time. High flight, and distance in line with Mizuno’s (at almost 65 years old, life is a 150 yard 7 iron).

Dispersion - Excellent, but be aware these irons are straight! Back nine I managed a couple of very slight fades, but these are pretty much aim and shoot. 

Turf interaction - This was the best surprise of the day. My Mizuno’s typically cut a pretty deep divot, and an all too frequent heavy shot. The P770’s were smooth through the turf, and even in my first round with them I did not miss an iron shot. Great through the turf! Very pleased!!!

Very pleased with these!! Playing again Monday, and will know more after second round!

very nice.

I hit them today. 

mixed feelings - They were LONG.  10 yards longer than my t100.  They felt good not amazing.  They are also smaller than I thought - not much bigger than T100!

I was dead set on them but they aren't much different than the T100.

• Like 1

2024 Bag TBD

love the review, I'm still gaming the OG 770s with KBS tour Flt. Seeing all this i'm thinking of getting fit. I'm in my late 20s pretty new to golf 3 years curious about the distance i carry the 7 iron 170 right now but i could use the nice straight ball flight and forgiveness. 10 cap problems. loved the 2017 790s but was hitting 7 iron 195 into the sim when trying. maybe a combo set? and change the 770s loft. I struggle with the 4 iron like most, any more forgiving in the long irons vs the OG 770s? thanks. 

8 hours ago, tigerfan23 said:

very nice.

I hit them today. 

mixed feelings - They were LONG.  10 yards longer than my t100.  They felt good not amazing.  They are also smaller than I thought - not much bigger than T100!

I was dead set on them but they aren't much different than the T100.

I find the feel as good, if not better than the T100.

More importantly, they are more forgiving than the T100’s, which makes them better for me!

And I had played full Titleist bags throughout the AP2 series irons, so still a fan of Titleist. 

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 6:42 AM, texcrom said:

I find the feel as good, if not better than the T100.

More importantly, they are more forgiving than the T100’s, which makes them better for me!

And I had played full Titleist bags throughout the AP2 series irons, so still a fan of Titleist. 

This makes me happy to hear.  I'm currently playing 716 AP2's, and going to my fitter next week to try them out.  8 handicap, and looking for a little more forgiveness on mishits.  Just curious and excited to try different shafts in them and see the difference

Hit them on the simulator at PGA Superstore and really liked them. Just not a good enough ball striker and need the extra forgiveness, hence, hit the 790s much better.

Driver : Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9° Project X Hzrdus Black Gen 4 6.5 60

3 Wood : Callaway Rogue ST Max 15° Project X Hzrdus Black Gen 4 6.5 70

Hybrid : Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 20° Project X Hzrdus Black Gen 4 Hybrid 6.5 90

Irons : 4 - PW X Forged CB Project X 6.5

Wedges : Callaway Jaws Raw 50°/10°S, 54° 10°S, 58°/12°X Project X 6.5 Wedge

Putter : Toulon Chicago Garage

4 hours ago, mjhuffer said:

Hit them on the simulator at PGA Superstore and really liked them. Just not a good enough ball striker and need the extra forgiveness, hence, hit the 790s much better.

You're a 4.5 HC and not good enough for these?  I'm around a 12 and could easily game these...….although iron play is the strongest part of my game.

Edited by JDMRN81

8 hours ago, JDMRN81 said:

You're a 4.5 HC and not good enough for these?  I'm around a 12 and could easily game these...….although iron play is the strongest part of my game.

Iron play is the worst part of my game through and through. Score well with distance and scrambling. I could definitely game the 770s but I would rather have the extra forgiveness of the 790s. Almost switched to them but numbers were too close to my apex's and $ didn't make sense.

Driver : Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9° Project X Hzrdus Black Gen 4 6.5 60

3 Wood : Callaway Rogue ST Max 15° Project X Hzrdus Black Gen 4 6.5 70

Hybrid : Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 20° Project X Hzrdus Black Gen 4 Hybrid 6.5 90

Irons : 4 - PW X Forged CB Project X 6.5

Wedges : Callaway Jaws Raw 50°/10°S, 54° 10°S, 58°/12°X Project X 6.5 Wedge

Putter : Toulon Chicago Garage

15 hours ago, RxGolf1 said:

Felt soft, but a bit too spinny compared to my P790's (to be expected). But I tend to be a high spin player with most irons.

P790's are some of the best irons out there for folks who spin their irons too much.  

P770's will help those folks who were too low spin with the 790's and bought them anyways because of the distance, but now find what they think are hot spots, but are actually shots that they lost a bit of spin because of dirt or water or grass.

I found them extremely pleasing to look at, but like you I am an extremely high spin player, and the looks just didn't quite match the performance to switch and spend the money.  I don't think they were any less forgiving than the P790's, sure I am positive that there is a benefit in the 790's over the 770's, but not much of one for me.

• Thanks 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I gave these a waggle last evening at Golf Galaxy on my way home.  Didn't have time to hit, but wow.... they are stunning in person.  Nice and compact.  I love my i210s, but I have a feeling some blend of P series will be in my bag by next golf season.  

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

7 hours ago, driveandputtmachine said:

P790's are some of the best irons out there for folks who spin their irons too much.  

P770's will help those folks who were too low spin with the 790's and bought them anyways because of the distance, but now find what they think are hot spots, but are actually shots that they lost a bit of spin because of dirt or water or grass.

I found them extremely pleasing to look at, but like you I am an extremely high spin player, and the looks just didn't quite match the performance to switch and spend the money.  I don't think they were any less forgiving than the P790's, sure I am positive that there is a benefit in the 790's over the 770's, but not much of one for me.

I noticed they were a little more workable, but not worth switching to. 

39 minutes ago, ASN21 said:

Came to these from the OG P790's and haven't missed a beat. They simply check all the boxes. Can't wait to use them again on Friday.

How is the distance GAO between the 790 and 770? What do you like more about the 770’s? 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

If I do end up changing irons over the winter, these will get serious consideration.  Was impressed with just trying a 7i quickly at a driver fitting, and have always loved the look of the '05 TP CB's.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

2 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

How is the distance GAO between the 790 and 770? What do you like more about the 770’s? 

Only one round in, so still need some more time to judge the distances properly. What I did was go one club down for each shot in regards to the 790’s. What I liked immediately was the looks. Definitely more compact and a thinner top line. Not a T100 top line like I was hoping for but thin enough to still provide confidence. They also seem pretty forgiving so far. My miss is toe side and I didn’t see a huge distance drop off. That’s what scared me away from the MC’s as a combo set. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2020 at 4:18 PM, RxGolf1 said:

I noticed they were a little more workable, but not worth switching to. 

Off topic:

RxGolf1 pharmacist?

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

On 8/31/2020 at 7:44 PM, gsrjc said:

How is the offset in the lower lofted clubs?       Someone mentioned it was a good amount to help not go right. 

The offset in the new 770's is identical to the original 770's. I play the originall 770's and have hit the new version. Neither version has much offset. IMO, the comments provided by the OP is spot on.

1 hour ago, Jace_bkr said:

First round with mine yesterday.. to be totally honest not sure I love them more than my t100’s.. time will tell though.. I will say the forgiveness in the long irons is noticeably better than my t100’s. 

What other differences did you find?  I’m looking at the 770 and t100S currently.  How much less forgiving were the long irons in the t100? Thanks.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

11 minutes ago, Hookasaurus Rex said:

What other differences did you find?  I’m looking at the 770 and t100S currently.  How much less forgiving were the long irons in the t100? Thanks.

Mine are standard t100 not the S.

I seem to be hitting the 770’s About 5 yards shorter per club but it has to be the shaft.. the KBS seem to launch pretty HIGH and just fall out of the sky..

I will say, my usual left miss has yet to happen with them and dispersion is a lot better..

my miss is toward the toe on the longer irons and the t100’s seem to loose at least 20%.. the 770’s maybe 10% on the same miss.. 

Hit them on 3 occasions at GG this week.  Stock shafts fit pretty good for me.  I’m in between S and X soft stepped.  Ended up bringing home a set yesterday.  Played first round with them today.  Played very well.  Similar distances to my i210, maybe 5 yards longer per iron.  As others have mentioned, very good turf interaction for me.  Overall very pleased.  Good forgiveness, nice feel.  Was very pleased with short irons.  The stock grips are surprisingly incredible.  I can delay regripping these until the winter.

Edited by Hougz79

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

1 minute ago, Hougz79 said:

Hit them on 3 occasions at GG this week.  Stock shafts fit pretty good for me.  I’m in between S and X soft stepped.  Ended up bringing home a set yesterday.  Played first round with them today.  Played very well.  Similar distances to my i210, maybe 5 yards longer per iron.  As others have mentioned, very good turf interaction for me.  Overall very pleased.  Good forgiveness, nice feel.  Was very pleased with short irons.  

Where did you find Someone with them in stock? None to be found in my area, and custom orders are into December now.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

5 minutes ago, texcrom said:

Where did you find Someone with them in stock? None to be found in my area, and custom orders are into December now.

Local Golf Galaxy had a set.  I’m fortunate to be a standard length/lie guy.  The KBS Tour S is a good fit.  KBS Tour and DG are what I’ve generally gamed over the years.

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300