2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Question for Walkers

On 10/3/2020 at 9:49 AM, howaboutme said:

First, I chose to put this post in this category because I feel like it is more relevant to golf shoes and that is ultimately the question at hand.

For those that walk 18 or more typically, how do your feet feel afterwards? This is a serious question because since I'm relatively new to golf (going on 2 years) and do plenty of walking for my rounds, I'm not entirely sure how your feet are supposed to feel after a round. Is it normal to have sore feet? I mean sore to a point that the bottoms of your feet hurt when walking (again, after round, not during)? I'm trying to determine if what I feel is par for the course or I need to consider better walking shoes? Do people end a typical 18 hole round w/ no soreness at all?

I'd like to hear what my fellow walkers go through.

I do carry too and perhaps that exacerbates it a bit?

Edit for more details: 44 yrs old, average shape but not overweight, and feet are sore for a short period and are usually fine the next morning and no other parts of my body hurt.

Thanks!

U're fine, mate. 

I'm a walker, and I do feel it a bit after each round since golf is a sport after all. 

It's normal to have sore feet after walking for 6,7 miles while carrying a golf bag.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 12:16 AM, bunta said:

@howaboutme

no shame in caring for your feet. Im 40, and hvae been walking a lot more than previous years since the pandemic.  I might be wrong but you might be developing (according to my research) a mild case of plantar fasciitis. Its heel pain. Again i might be very wrong. You just need to do some research and diagnose yourself.

For me i dont feel any soreness till im around the 14th 15th 16th hole. Not bothersome, but its a very slight discomfort. Could be just leg tiredness. I havent really been able to tell. 

But i can tell you FOR SURE, the heel soreness/pain is very apparent when i get out of the car after driving home from the course (about 30mins or longer) and also especially after i sit down for a while i.e. on the comp, watching tv etc that same night. Its like clock work. The pain comes AFTER the weight is removed from my feet for a certain amount of time. The soreness is also there when i wake up in the am after a round although it goes away throughout the day. The good thing is the pain does go away until i walk 18 again.

I dont have a definite/concrete solution for you since i am going through the same thing. Im still trying to find a shoe that alleviates the pain. Keep in mind, we are in our 40's and random sh*t starts to break down for us during these years. So its very possible that there isnt a shoe out there that can help people like us with foot soreness after a round. A running store employee told me once, some people have to learn how to walk again because theyve "been walking wrong" their entire life. Imagine that lol. But until i hvae come to terms with it, im going to try my hardest to find a shoe or at least an insert.

You have described my situation to a tee!  46 and walk 2-3 9 hole rounds a week on top of a daily 4-5 mile walk/jog. Feet feel great during, but develop serious pain in my right heel after the round. I’m sure it is plantar faciitis, just not sure what to do about it. 

Please update us if you find a fix. I’ll do the same. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 9:45 AM, howaboutme said:

Thanks for the responses.

As the OP, I will say that my next steps are to get a good pair or two of socks. I've been eyeing and researching Kentwool but have no doubt others are good and at least better than what I am wearing now. For shoes, I am eyeing Trues and hoping to be patient until black friday....I think I can, I think I can.....

Ha ha!  I actually have 2 pairs of FJ Pro SLs - Same year release but different color ways. One pair is size 10. The other is size 12. Both fit identically. 

• Like 1

I have some Ecco's coming tomorrow so eager to try them out and see if it makes a difference. I've gone away from Trues from advice and further research as they don't seem to be the right fit for existing foot pain relief.  I've also switched to Feetures socks and they seem to work well  and seem to have helped (using same current/cheaper shoes) with how I feel during the round. I'd like to try Kentwool but can't seem to pull the trigger w/o a good discount code (don't see one for BF). I'll update once I try to Ecco's.

8 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

I have some Ecco's coming tomorrow so eager to try them out and see if it makes a difference. I've gone away from Trues from advice and further research as they don't seem to be the right fit for existing foot pain relief.  I've also switched to Feetures socks and they seem to work well  and seem to have helped (using same current/cheaper shoes) with how I feel during the round. I'd like to try Kentwool but can't seem to pull the trigger w/o a good discount code (don't see one for BF). I'll update once I try to Ecco's.

What model Ecco's did you purchase? I bought the Ecco Base One shoes . They are the lightest golf shoes I have ever worn and really comfortable. The soles are so light weight I'm a little concerned about durability. I saw some negative comments about the whole spike pulling out of the sole on these and I can see that happening but so far so good. I will definitely buy another pair of Ecco's next time probably buying a higher end model next time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Greenie said:

What model Ecco's did you purchase? I bought the Ecco Base One shoes . They are the lightest golf shoes I have ever worn and really comfortable. The soles are so light weight I'm a little concerned about durability. I saw some negative comments about the whole spike pulling out of the sole on these and I can see that happening but so far so good. I will definitely buy another pair of Ecco's next time probably buying a higher end model next time.

I got the Biom Hybrid 3 GTX for a steal. The first day of their BF sale had them at 50% off. I know they've since updated the golf shoes to a not as generous discount. I was holding out for the new S-3s as I have read they have fixed a lot of the issues from the prior generation, namely traction. For the price I got these, I'm okay with it and may pick up the S-3 later to have a rotation. I've tried on the Hybrid's at my local GG so I at least know what I'm getting. I'm looking forward to it.

I have been wearing a mix of premium Nike and FJ Pro SL for my walking rounds, but recently broke out an old set of FJ Icons. They are definitely stiffer and feel firmer underfoot, but I did not seem to suffer as much heel pain after the round. I wore them a second round, but suffered a major sole malfunction that will require re-soling, so hard to tell much from the second round. 

I have another pair of Icons I plan to try next round. Curious if the firmer shoe might alleviate some of the pain. 

9 hours ago, howaboutme said:

I got the Biom Hybrid 3 GTX for a steal. The first day of their BF sale had them at 50% off. I know they've since updated the golf shoes to a not as generous discount. I was holding out for the new S-3s as I have read they have fixed a lot of the issues from the prior generation, namely traction. For the price I got these, I'm okay with it and may pick up the S-3 later to have a rotation. I've tried on the Hybrid's at my local GG so I at least know what I'm getting. I'm looking forward to it.

If you have a high or anywhere near high arch you’ll love the Ecco.  I have a high enough arch that with wet feet I only leave toe , front and heel prints.  Seriously.  A gap from heel to toe.  So shoes are a challenge at times.  Add to that a size 13 and it’s a Pet peeve.  Ecco has had my business for 5 years.   They also last longer than any shoe I’ve owned.  Whne I wear the soles flat I continue to wear them to work in .  Water proof shoes are great around a farm.  

I walk near 100 % of the time. And my feet are usually the most tired feeling thing  on me whne I finish. But only lasts a little while.  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I've worn Ecco Street Premier's since Freddie strolled down Riviera over a decade ago. This year I have played 193 rounds and carrying 108 of those. Around early September I won a gift certificate to Travis Matthew and spent the money on a pair of Cuater Moneymakers. I've since bought 3 more pair. I'm not giving up on the Ecco's but the Moneymakers are just as good with a little different look. 

When it comes to shoes, don't settle. Quality footwear is imperative if you're gonna walk but even more important are the fit and comfort. As mentioned you've gotta try them on or at least have a free return policy.

My feet get a little sore at times but it's nothing a little 10-minute foot massage with a Life Pro Sonic won't take care of.

Edited by nitram
  • Like 2

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

It's pretty interesting to hear many others have the same issue as me and that both high arched and flat feet people can develop the same pain.

My Ecco's came in yesterday so I'm excited to try them out on the course. I wore them to the range and they felt good but that is no indication of course. I do feel the arch support much more than my previous pairs of shoes. A good sign. I also ordered a pair of Kentwool socks thanks to their 30% off BF deal. I feel it's never bad to have good socks.

I'll report back after a few rounds.

avid walker here. 2 things i learned was the bag and shoes make or break everything.  i try to walk even the most difficult courses with the group i play with.  i made sure i bought myself a really good carry stand bag that is light and comfortable. with that, i went with the Ping hoofer 5way. the thing is super light, sturdy and comfortable, the straps are amazing. the bag has all the pockets youll ever need and perfectly placed  to be able to access them even when it is shouldered.

for shoes. i went with the codechaos spikeless. this was more of a test run as i try to play in spiked shoes. the shoes are amazingly comfortable, but i do feel like i have lost a lot of traction. but when walking, it is my feet that take the biggest brunt of the force of pain, as at the end of a round, my feet tend to ache the most. 

at the end of it, i will continue to walk and enjoy golf the way it was meant to be played. every course is enjoyed more when walking i think and it just helps me enjoy a course as i take just a slight longer to get to every shot.

On 11/27/2020 at 6:54 PM, calfan36 said:

I'm in my 20s in good shape and my toes especially kill me when I walk. After 9 holes they hurt. Pain lasts a couple days when pressure is put on them. Any thoughts? I know I have very flat feet

what shoes do you wear when walking.  i guess my feet just got stronger after many rounds of walking that i dont get as bad aches with my feet. if you are wearing shoes that are typically for cart golf, that could be the issue. i would really look into golf walking shoes that are specific for that portion of activity. i was hesistant to change, but im glad i did switch. 

I've been busy but was finally able to walk 9 holes today in cold, windy and wet conditions to test out the Ecco's. I paired them with Feetures socks. I must say that I was hyper sensitive and so uber aware of how my feet felt. Sitting here now, many hours after the round, I can say that I felt a positive difference between the Ecco's and my other shoes. Since today was only 9 holes, it is not the best sample but certainly a good start. I had 2 clear feelings that I believe are my foot (only my left is an issue) distinguishing the Ecco's heel and arch support that I was missing on my other shoes. The insert cushion was also noticeably better, more comforting for my feet. During the round, my feet felt noticeably better. I would never say no feeling and soreness is still there but it is better. How much this can be just attributed to 9 holes? I'm not sure. I've done a lot of 9 holes too but not recently so it's hard for me to fully compare. I'll have to be off my feet longer for me to get a better understanding. The worse is usually in the middle of the night.

As for the other attributes of the shoes, I am impressed. They kept me dry and stable. I will agree that shoes matter and not a place to cheapen out.

I still have some Kentwool socks coming and am eager to try those out and take the Ecco's out for a full 18 and about a 7+ mile walk. So far so good in my efforts to combat foot pain.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

I've been busy but was finally able to walk 9 holes today in cold, windy and wet conditions to test out the Ecco's. I paired them with Feetures socks. I must say that I was hyper sensitive and so uber aware of how my feet felt. Sitting here now, many hours after the round, I can say that I felt a positive difference between the Ecco's and my other shoes. Since today was only 9 holes, it is not the best sample but certainly a good start. I had 2 clear feelings that I believe are my foot (only my left is an issue) distinguishing the Ecco's heel and arch support that I was missing on my other shoes. The insert cushion was also noticeably better, more comforting for my feet. During the round, my feet felt noticeably better. I would never say no feeling and soreness is still there but it is better. How much this can be just attributed to 9 holes? I'm not sure. I've done a lot of 9 holes too but not recently so it's hard for me to fully compare. I'll have to be off my feet longer for me to get a better understanding. The worse is usually in the middle of the night.

As for the other attributes of the shoes, I am impressed. They kept me dry and stable. I will agree that shoes matter and not a place to cheapen out.

I still have some Kentwool socks coming and am eager to try those out and take the Ecco's out for a full 18 and about a 7+ mile walk. So far so good in my efforts to combat foot pain.

Dont be afraid to spend some money on different insoles too. In our case, high arch insoles so our archs dont collapse as much. No need to spend too much. To me, the insoles are just as important as the shoe it self if not more important. 

I tried a bunch of them anywhere from $15 a pair to $45 a pair. And the best ones for me ended being the $15 a pair ones because they just fit better than the "popular" expensive ones. 

• Like 1
TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

On 10/5/2020 at 9:26 PM, Sweetdraw said:

Shoes. Shoes. Shoes.

I try to wear trail shoes whenever possible. If it's reasonable dry. Will also wear running shoes.

With trail and running shoes, you need to watch the rise from toe box to heel. I prefer lower or flatter shoes.

Will wear golf shoes when required. Wet conditions or fancy clubs. 

I believe golf shoes lag trail or running shoes in fit options... Neutral, stability, etc. Maybe it just harder to find the right fit in golf shoes.

Good fitting shoes can help issues like plantar fasciitis.

Also pushing a cart is easier or don't carry all your clubs.

Keep walkin' !

I’m kind of the exact opposite, I need a shoe with a pronounced heel to toe drop. I was diagnosed with what they call Haglund’s Deformity. It is basically a little piece of bone that sticks out the back of my heel. I manage it very well but can be irritating. Eliminates a LOT of shoes. One Podiatrist thinks it may have come from years of Nike Free’s. She said that not everyone was built for those shoes and they made many people’s foot problems worse. 

My feet get tired but not sore, if that makes sense. They will occasionally get a little sore depending on if I’m wearing spikes (which I don’t wear often). But I need a shoe with good sole padding, a soft heel cup and a cushioned heel edge (Not sure what to call it but where the top of the heel is on the shoe) and it can’t be leather. 

On 11/27/2020 at 4:54 PM, calfan36 said:

I'm in my 20s in good shape and my toes especially kill me when I walk. After 9 holes they hurt. Pain lasts a couple days when pressure is put on them. Any thoughts? I know I have very flat feet

Flat feet are tough!! You may need to add some arched insoles or some foam/rubber composite stoppers to the front of your shoes to help them gain a little more support. Let me know if this helps! 🙂

10 hours ago, bunta said:

Dont be afraid to spend some money on different insoles too. In our case, high arch insoles so our archs dont collapse as much. No need to spend too much. To me, the insoles are just as important as the shoe it self if not more important. 

I tried a bunch of them anywhere from $15 a pair to $45 a pair. And the best ones for me ended being the $15 a pair ones because they just fit better than the "popular" expensive ones. 

Thanks! What insoles are you using that work for you? I've been researching those too.

I went through a period of having sore feet after walking 18 holes. I thought it was due to bad shoes, or crummy socks, so I started changing those out. However none of that seemed to help. What did help was walking more. My soreness was from not being in good enough physical condition to walk 18 holes effortlessly--and my feet paid the price. I think this period coincided with the time I went back to carrying my bag (I used a push cart for a while, but grew to hate it). Once I got used to walking 18 a few times a week, the soreness went away and hasn't come back.

16 hours ago, howaboutme said:

Thanks! What insoles are you using that work for you? I've been researching those too.

i am currently on these WalkHero. Theyre not "perfect" per say, but they fit the best for right now. Im contemplating on cheap custom ones. I may try a few more, but for now, the WalkHero is working.

Walked 18 today and foot was tired on the home stretch, but no soreness. ive been on and off my feet since i got home, ZERO pain.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bunta said:

i am currently on these WalkHero. Theyre not "perfect" per say, but they fit the best for right now. Im contemplating on cheap custom ones. I may try a few more, but for now, the WalkHero is working.

Walked 18 today and foot was tired on the home stretch, but no soreness. ive been on and off my feet since i got home, ZERO pain.

Thank you. I'll look into it.

Side note. An interesting development happened to my same foot the next day after wearing the Eccos. I developed a bruise on the top inside face of my left foot just below the toes. I assume this is in line with the area that folds during walking. I do recall feeling something there during the walk but chalked that up as needing to break in the leather. It doesn't hurt but the visual clearly shows something happened. I may also need to be mindful of not tightening the shoes too tight to allow for swelling as the round progresses.

I've never had leather shoes. Is there a break in period? I assume so.

18 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

Yes, but the good thing about Ecco's is the ability to wear them "comfortably" right out of the box. You should see the crease(s) in the leather after the first round of walking.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

5 hours ago, howaboutme said:

Side note. An interesting development happened to my same foot the next day after wearing the Eccos. I developed a bruise on the top inside face of my left foot just below the toes. I assume this is in line with the area that folds during walking. I do recall feeling something there during the walk but chalked that up as needing to break in the leather. It doesn't hurt but the visual clearly shows something happened. I may also need to be mindful of not tightening the shoes too tight to allow for swelling as the round progresses.

I replace the insoles in all of my golf shoes and workout shoes with Sof Soles Athlete Insoles.  They help me a lot.  I currently use the Adidas Tour 360XT shoes with the insoles I mentioned, and my feet aren't too bad after a round of golf.  I walk most of my rounds and I'm on my feet quite a bit, so that probably helps as well.   

• Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

7 hours ago, howaboutme said:

Most golf shoes would irritate me right on where the "folding crease" is when you walk. When that happens, they go right back in the box. This happens with 7/10 pairs i try on in the store. 

The Eccos biom 3 was perhaps the first leather made shoe i have ever tried on that didnt irritate me where the crease happens (the base of my toes) and super soft right out the box. 

@howaboutme i have never heard of any Eccos needing any breaking in period. Im sorry to say this, but maybe Ecco's arent the best fit for you and if thats the case you just have to keep searching. Sometimes it just doesnt work. Trust me, i knkow how it feels. Ive wanted to wear the Pro SL that everyone raves about for years but i found them quite uncomfortable. Same for the adidas Boost models (tight and weird feeling). Pretty much all the shoes that people love, doesnt fit me. GOod luck bud.

9 minutes ago, bunta said:

Most golf shoes would irritate me right on where the "folding crease" is when you walk. When that happens, they go right back in the box. This happens with 7/10 pairs i try on in the store. 

The Eccos biom 3 was perhaps the first leather made shoe i have ever tried on that didnt irritate me where the crease happens (the base of my toes) and super soft right out the box. 

@howaboutme i have never heard of any Eccos needing any breaking in period. Im sorry to say this, but maybe Ecco's arent the best fit for you and if thats the case you just have to keep searching. Sometimes it just doesnt work. Trust me, i knkow how it feels. Ive wanted to wear the Pro SL that everyone raves about for years but i found them quite uncomfortable. Same for the adidas Boost models (tight and weird feeling). Pretty much all the shoes that people love, doesnt fit me. GOod luck bud.

Thanks!

I've not played golf enough (and certainly not walked enough playing golf) to be one and done. I will make some adjustments that I have in my mind and give them more time. To be honest, Ecco's were not my first. Trues were but have been told they don't provide enough cushion. Will report back.

• 3 weeks later...

Update!

Since my last post, I've played another 9 and finally an 18 hole round (yesterday). The 18 holer was 7.3 miles of walking. Thinking back, my feet felt worlds better during the round. Of course, I still had that "I just walked 7 miles" soreness at the end but way better than before. I did a few new things besides the new Eccos the last few times. I wore Kentwool socks (feel great!) and recently bought a lighter carry bag (2020 SM 2.5+) to help a bit. All of those factored in, I believe, to how the 18 holer went. I also learned to not tighten the shoes as tight and now do not have any signs of bruising at the top of my foot that I did the first time.

Post round at home also felt better. I'm under no illusion that I will have no pain and that is still not the case now. There is surely soreness but it is definitely better than before and the morning after (now) is not too bad. So....I'll continue to be super aware of how I feel and determine if I am going to add any other mitigation methods (soles are the next likely solution).

• Like 1

I’m 6’3” 200 lbs and I’ve been playing for a couple years, just started walking this year because the course I joined is relatively short. I’ve always had shoes that were on the flexible side and I never had any issues. I decided to go premium this year and got the new Nike zoom infinity tours and couldn’t be happier. Took a couple rounds to break in but they’re incredibly comfortable for walking rounds. I also echo the good socks comments in terms of padding and arch support.  

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym TD - MCA Kai'li White 60X

TM M4 3W - MCA Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TM M3 3H - PX HZRDUS Black 6.5

Srixon ZX5 MKII - PX LZ 6.5 - 4-P

Vokey SM8 - DG S400 (black) - 50.12F,  54.14F, 58.12D

Scotty 2018 Newport 2

Vice Pro Plus