2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Xcaliber Rapid Taper shafts

Twists

• 4 weeks later...

I recently bought a set of Hogan PTx Pro irons with xcaliber rapid taper 95 stiff shafts from @Popeye64. They are orientated 180° with the label down from the factory pured line. He says they play slightly softer in this orientation but stay on the stable plane.

I’m coming off of an older set of Cobra Amps with regular steel true temper shafts that I was having a hard time replacing because they work pretty well. Alas, my swing speed has increased over the past two years and my dispersion has now become a little wild. The rapid tapers with the Hogan PTx Pro heads seemed like a reasonable upgrade to step up my game. 

The rapid tapers definitely feel more active than the steel Cobra Amp shafts, but they can hold up to bigger swings better. They also feel lighter to me. I will say that they seem to launch the ball higher in the short irons; however, they definitely go straighter and hold their line better on mishits. They do not balloon at all; it’s just a higher launch. The long irons have the same medium-high flight as the Cobra Amps, but they hold their line better. I definitely mishit some balls that should have sliced or hooked more than they did, but they stayed straighter. They even go the same distance as the Amps without being loft jacked, so I have to deduce it has something to do with the shafts. It’s hard to definitively say if it’s the shafts themselves, or the heads since I haven’t tried both shafts with both heads. However, the PTx pro heads with the rapid taper shafts combo that @Popeye64assembled is just sick. As of now, I definitely recommend these shafts based on my daily testing over the past 3 weeks with Sklz impact balls off mats on my driveway (I’m to the point where I can tell how good I’m playing and where the ball would go because I’ve hit so many sklz balls over the years) and driving range use.

I haven’t had a chance to game these clubs because it’s now winter in PA, but I’ll update this thread next year after I can get some actual rounds under my belt.

FWIW, I have tried a lot of different irons out over the years (callaway x18 tour with DG steel stiff, mizuno jpx ez tt95 steel regular, cobra f9 with steelfiber regular, etc.) but none could boot the Amps out of the bag. I believe this new Hogan set can and will.

Edited by jonradus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/21/2021 at 12:41 PM, jonradus said:

I recently bought a set of Hogan PTx Pro irons with xcaliber rapid taper 95 stiff shafts from @Popeye64. They are orientated 180° with the label down from the factory pured line. He says they play slightly softer in this orientation but stay on the stable plane.

I’m coming off of an older set of Cobra Amps with regular steel true temper shafts that I was having a hard time replacing because they work pretty well. Alas, my swing speed has increased over the past two years and my dispersion has now become a little wild. The rapid tapers with the Hogan PTx Pro heads seemed like a reasonable upgrade to step up my game. 

The rapid tapers definitely feel more active than the steel Cobra Amp shafts, but they can hold up to bigger swings better. They also feel lighter to me. I will say that they seem to launch the ball higher in the short irons; however, they definitely go straighter and hold their line better on mishits. They do not balloon at all; it’s just a higher launch. The long irons have the same medium-high flight as the Cobra Amps, but they hold their line better. I definitely mishit some balls that should have sliced or hooked more than they did, but they stayed straighter. They even go the same distance as the Amps without being loft jacked, so I have to deduce it has something to do with the shafts. It’s hard to definitively say if it’s the shafts themselves, or the heads since I haven’t tried both shafts with both heads. However, the PTx pro heads with the rapid taper shafts combo that @Popeye64assembled is just sick. As of now, I definitely recommend these shafts based on my daily testing over the past 3 weeks with Sklz impact balls off mats on my driveway (I’m to the point where I can tell how good I’m playing and where the ball would go because I’ve hit so many sklz balls over the years) and driving range use.

I haven’t had a chance to game these clubs because it’s now winter in PA, but I’ll update this thread next year after I can get some actual rounds under my belt.

FWIW, I have tried a lot of different irons out over the years (callaway x18 tour with DG steel stiff, mizuno jpx ez tt95 steel regular, cobra f9 with steelfiber regular, etc.) but none could boot the Amps out of the bag. I believe this new Hogan set can and will.

So glad you hear you love the clubs. We will have to get a round in together next spring. 

7 hours ago, Colej said:

I posted a Black Friday promo code for Xcaliber in the deal or no deal section. You can use on rapid Taper or Avalon i7 or i8 shafts. 

And many thanks for doing so.  

I've picked up 10 RT95 in stiff, going to take the plunge with one of my sets, maybe even add a TS1 3i and/or 4i for a semi-combo set...

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 10/28/2021 at 2:04 PM, Hack Daddy said:

I've used xcalibur before many even knew what they were, so I say this out of a place of love for the quality and creator -

Rebrand.

The whole King Arthur sword, the graphics, etc ...

Extremely corny. 

If they rebrand, they'll have a bigger pool of consumers. 

Agree! Like HackDaddy, long-time user here of Robin Arthur's shafts going back to when they were called AXE (Arthur Xtreme Engineering).

With a driver shaft in the works, there will be a complete line of Rapid Tapers from woods to wedges. The new tech in the Rapid Tapers deserve a new look and brand - perhaps a separate line to distinguish & differentiate itself from the rest of the XCaliber models.

I would love to see the AXE branding revived with their simple graphics and color schemes. They matched well with any clubhead. Today's golfers are more particular in the looks and brand of their clubs, and if the RTs update their looks to match their performance I'm certain it will attract a lot more attention and gain traction. Hope this happens in 2022!

Edited by GPF
  • Like 2

I’m on the fence. I have a set of RT85 regular flex in my cart. I’m thinking about putting them in my set of MMB Blacks. 

I’m wondering if these would be too stiff? I am usually around 80-82 mph with a 7 iron, pretty smooth tempo, with these lofts a 7 iron would be my 150 yard club. 
I had a set of the AXE RT tapers in the past. I had the 70 gram regular flex. I felt the flex was ok, just a little light in weight. 

Also curious if anyone has tried a 95 gram RT in a wedge head. Looks like the 100 gram wedge shaft is out of stock.

Thanks.

Edited by gdb99

4 minutes ago, Colej said:

I would think you’d be ok with that swing speed. If you have any doubt you could try soft stepping one or two times. 

Thanks. That’s what I was thinking. I can glue one up and test.

Any thought on using one of these shafts as a wedge shaft? Think there is much difference between the RT Wedge shaft and these? Other than weight?

It really depends on you and how you use your wedges? I play the 95 in my PW and GW. They’re fine for any kind of shot I try. I then step up to much heavier weights in my SW, LW 

I don’t have the profile #s to compare for the wedge shaft. 

maybe @Popeye64 could elaborate 

Edited by Colej
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 11:23 AM, gdb99 said:

Thanks. That’s what I was thinking. I can glue one up and test.

Any thought on using one of these shafts as a wedge shaft? Think there is much difference between the RT Wedge shaft and these? Other than weight?

These work very well as a wedge shaft if you want to maintain a weight or feel. I like to trim them in an 8 iron flex to keep them soft. 

The Spin Wedge shafts have a lower CPM which let's them play in a traditional wedge flex. I have a ton of time with both Spin Wedge and Rapid Tapers in Wedge heads. I also have been playing the Pro X which is now the Avalon i8/i9 in my wedges for as long as I can remember. Those are my gamer wedges, Avalon shafts.

The Avalons play more like a steel shaft. I use them in my wedge game to limit the amount of spin I get. I prefer to roll a ball to a hole as much as possible. But I can still flop a ball when I absolutely must. It's rare when I try to fly a wedge right up to the hole. 

The Spin Wedge will produce the most Spin. Mike at TXG has been tinkering with a Spin Wedge and loves it. He has them in some Kirkland heads.

In any wedge setup.. to me.. Its more dependent on what you are used to. It's almost like a putting technique for me around the green. Land the ball early and roll it in. So my use of the Avalon which is a graphite metallic weave mix is my go to. 

If I was going to be playing an elite golf course with tea cup greens I'll bring my wedges with the Spin Wedge shafts. 

Sorry that got long winded but it's not a simple question. 

• Like 3

On 11/29/2021 at 1:41 PM, Popeye64 said:

These work very well as a wedge shaft if you want to maintain a weight or feel. I like to trim them in an 8 iron flex to keep them soft. 

The Spin Wedge shafts have a lower CPM which let's them play in a traditional wedge flex. I have a ton of time with both Spin Wedge and Rapid Tapers in Wedge heads. I also have been playing the Pro X which is now the Avalon i8/i9 in my wedges for as long as I can remember. Those are my gamer wedges, Avalon shafts.

The Avalons play more like a steel shaft. I use them in my wedge game to limit the amount of spin I get. I prefer to roll a ball to a hole as much as possible. But I can still flop a ball when I absolutely must. It's rare when I try to fly a wedge right up to the hole. 

The Spin Wedge will produce the most Spin. Mike at TXG has been tinkering with a Spin Wedge and loves it. He has them in some Kirkland heads.

In any wedge setup.. to me.. Its more dependent on what you are used to. It's almost like a putting technique for me around the green. Land the ball early and roll it in. So my use of the Avalon which is a graphite metallic weave mix is my go to. 

If I was going to be playing an elite golf course with tea cup greens I'll bring my wedges with the Spin Wedge shafts. 

Sorry that got long winded but it's not a simple question. 

I used to play more of a run-up shot around the greens exclusively . I now play either a run-up shot or a spiny one, depending on what's needed.

I have been using stock Vokey wedge shafts. But since I have been playing with lighter weight steel shafts, I know the wedge flex shafts are too heavy for me.

Thanks for the response.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2021 at 4:55 PM, SavageHenry said:

Going to trial the 85g and 95g RT shafts. Does anyone have any experience with both? Coming out of Nippon 850gh, and they launch way too high.

I was playing the Nippon pro modus 3, so not the same shaft obviously as yours.  But, I find Nippons all launch fairly high for me.  I find the Rapid Taper gets up quicker and descends at a steeper angle than my Nippons.  Peak height is similar for me, maybe slightly higher with the Nippon and a little more spin.  I hit my 95g RT a club longer than my Nippon 105s.  

On 10/28/2021 at 8:04 AM, Hack Daddy said:

I've used xcalibur before many even knew what they were, so I say this out of a place of love for the quality and creator -

Rebrand.

The whole King Arthur sword, the graphics, etc ...

Extremely corny. 

If they rebrand, they'll have a bigger pool of consumers. 

Was in radio marketing for a number of years and completely agree. I believe it’s the Robin Arthur name, hence the King Arthur thing. Originally I played that Xcal Pro in my irons many years. Loved them. The Golfworks had a big falling out with the company which is awful because I live in Canada. Just won’t carry them. Something big must’ve happened. 
Even branding with Xcal as the name would be better, but branding is money. Smaller companies can’t do the rebranding thing. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, d s said:

I haven't read all posts to this thread yet so forgive me if this has already been addressed.  The 95 weight shaft .. R or S?  Do they play firm to flex?  Trying to decide b/t Reg and Stiff.  I usually fall right on the line b/t reg and stiff for steel shafts.

They do play just a bit firm to flex. You could always go stiff and soft step them 2 or 3 times. 

I’ve got a couple 95 stiff 7 iron pulls that were soft stepped 2 times….if you’re interested. 

I appreciate the offer Colej but I ordered a stiff shaft a few hours before I saw this message or I would have taken you up on this offer.  I have a R flex in a test iron that is tipped per Xcaliber recommendations.  I seem to get soft / hard stepped confused.  Does soft stepping make a shaft play softer and hard step make a shaft play stiffer?  In soft stepping to you tip more or less?

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2021 at 1:41 PM, Popeye64 said:

I also have been playing the Pro X which is now the Avalon i8/i9 in my wedges for as long as I can remember. Those are my gamer wedges, Avalon shafts.

@popeye64, Is the Avalon series literally just a repainted Pro X or is it the next evolution of the Pro X shaft?

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 8:18 PM, d s said:

I appreciate the offer Colej but I ordered a stiff shaft a few hours before I saw this message or I would have taken you up on this offer.  I have a R flex in a test iron that is tipped per Xcaliber recommendations.  I seem to get soft / hard stepped confused.  Does soft stepping make a shaft play softer and hard step make a shaft play stiffer?  In soft stepping to you tip more or less?

Sorry I didn’t see this sooner. Soft steeping makes the shaft play weaker or softer. You’re using the heavier head which in turn gives you a softer flex. Each iron head weighs roughly 8 grams more per head as you go from 4 iron to wedge. 

essentially on a 2 times soft step you’d go 7 iron head on a 5 iron shaft. 8 iron head on the 6 iron shaft. 9 iron head on the 7 iron shaft. PW head on the 8 iron shaft. 

12 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

Changes were minor. But there were changes. Big thing was the finish which was a giant leap forward. Not a lot left to improve upon with that shaft. 

Thank you, Popeye.  A few years ago, the Tour X was on my list of shafts to plug in an iron set, but I was a little slow to move to graphite full time and the window closed.  Nice to know there's still a chance...

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

23 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

Changes were minor. But there were changes. Big thing was the finish which was a giant leap forward. Not a lot left to improve upon with that shaft. 

Except the name. 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

• 3 months later...

@Popeye64

Looking ahead to the Maltby TS3 and TS4 releases, I am wondering which RTI to install.

Currently have the Paderson Kinetixx Golfworks shafts in TS1 heads (6-PW) and the Modus105 in my Cobra Forged Tec Blacks (4-PW)

The Paderson shafts are 84g I believe and the Modus are 106.5g.  I play a stiff flex.

I am thinking of getting the TS3 4 & 5 irons, TS4 6-PW.  What are the Pros and Cons of having a RTI85 in the 4-7 irons and the RTI95 in the 8-PW?  I'd put the RTI100-S in my 52 and 58 wedges.

Big improvement on the look of the new RTI shafts. Less busy and the black looks sharp

• Like 2

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

6 hours ago, carcharodon1977 said:

@Popeye64

Looking ahead to the Maltby TS3 and TS4 releases, I am wondering which RTI to install.

Currently have the Paderson Kinetixx Golfworks shafts in TS1 heads (6-PW) and the Modus105 in my Cobra Forged Tec Blacks (4-PW)

The Paderson shafts are 84g I believe and the Modus are 106.5g.  I play a stiff flex.

I am thinking of getting the TS3 4 & 5 irons, TS4 6-PW.  What are the Pros and Cons of having a RTI85 in the 4-7 irons and the RTI95 in the 8-PW?  I'd put the RTI100-S in my 52 and 58 wedges.

I would think a blended set, like you’re talking about, could work great. 

unfortunately the only way you’re gonna find out is by experimenting with different Rapid Taper shafts. 

you could also go 95 in the 4 & 5, 105 in the the 6-PW, Spin 115 in the 52 and 58. 

On 8/17/2022 at 1:21 PM, carcharodon1977 said:

@Popeye64

The big advantage of going with the lighter 85g shafts in the long irons is the ease of swing. If you keep say a 95 g all the way to a 4 iron the overall weight gets pretty heavy. It can be a real struggle for a lot of players to make a solid swing with a 4i and 95g combo. 

Going with the 85 makes for an overall lighter club yet retains flex characteristics. You wouldn't think 10g makes a difference but it does. 

In my short and mid irons I have the 105g shafts. But the 4i and hybrid are the 95g shafts. I could even drop the 5i to a 95g and I think I would be a bit happier. I've tested the 105g in a hybrid and it feels like a piece of solid steel bar  It's just way too much weight. 

I've built sets that start at 100g in the wedges, 95g GW, PW, 9i, 85g 8i, 7i, 6i, 75g 5i, 4i. Those that have that setup, swear by it. Like everything in golf it's a personal preference but it's a valid option. 

I'm fairly surprised more manufacturers don't have descending weight sets. We all have very light driver shafts. The Fairways are a bit heavier. Then the hybrids are heavier still. But irons that are the heaviest... will be based off of shafts that start out at the same weight. The ascending weight setup can certainly be found in a lot of True Temper sets and some OEM Pings. I'm just surprised it's not more prevalent. 

The new graphics are awesome in person. Massive improvement. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, agree new graphics are an improvement.  

PING has those AWT shafts and they feel good trying a 7i demo but who knows when it gets to a 4i unless you buy a set. That set you describe sounds interesting but would need to try it before buying it. 

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

was ready to buy one of the new rapid taper shafts, but $24 shipping for one shaft seems really steep. Not sure why they only offer one day shipping, I'd wait a few days to knock off a bunch off of the shipping. Maybe they'll be carried by Golfworks again someday.

• Like 1

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus