2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Xcaliber Rapid Taper shafts

Twists

I have.  They are pretty nice.  Feel very good.  I haven’t seen any distance gains or anything but I have a sample in an 8 and 9 iron and hitting them back to back with my gamers on a range I can’t tell if there are any distance/dispersion gains.  That said, I have Steelfibers and they feel a little better than those so far.  

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I had some e-mail exchanges with an XCaliber rep on these shafts. RT Tapers described as:

• R-flex 75 grams, S-flex 85 grams
  • Taper tip, 0.600 butt diameter
  • Seven shaft sets tipped for 4i-PW
  • Constant weight shaft, has flighted characteristics

I'm considering them for a reshaft of my CB Pro Tungstens. CBP irons are parallel tip but I could shim them for taper shafts.

Edited by ChipNRun

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

7 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

I had some e-mail exchanges with an XCaliber rep on these shafts. RT Tapers described as:

• R-flex 75 grams, S-flex 85 grams
  • Taper tip, 0.600 butt diameter
  • Seven shaft sets tipped for 4i-PW
  • Constant weight shaft, has flighted characteristics

I'm considering them for a reshaft of my CB Pro Tungstens. CBP irons are parallel tip but I could shim them for taper shafts.

You are referring to the Classic RT Taper shafts https://xcalibershafts.com/collections/classic-series/products/rt-taper-iron-golf-shaft

I think the OP is referring to the new Rapid Taper which comes in I7 and I9 models. https://xcalibershafts.com/collections/rapid-taper-series

There is a lot of useful info from Popeye64 about the new shafts in this thread https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1520476-maltby-ts2/page/46/?tab=comments#comment-23144214 and a few others if you search by his username.

Edited by Bad9
  • Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

• 1 year later...

Just got the first swings in with the RT95s - I think they are my favorite feeling shafts. Unbelievably smooth. In a way, they actually remind me of the feeling of a AD-DI. You can feel the load and the unloading really well. My 7 iron swing speed is 86 as a reference.

I'll get the Quad out in the next few days and post some numbers

Edited by m_w
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Played a round with them today. I'll reserve judgement until I have had more time with them but the initial impression is very positive. They remind me a little bit of a KBS Tour in regards to profile - very easy to hit a shape with them. Feel-wise, they are unique. I've played MMT's, Fujikura Pro TS, KBS TGI, Steelfibers and a bunch of steel shafts and I'll say, these are the smoothest out of all of them. Just great feeling all-around. High spin, mid-high launch.

I would wish two things: Xcaliber needs to hire competent consumer marketing folks and change their branding if they are to be successful in the long run (just my opinion ofc) and I think for a shaft produced in China (doesn't mean its bad) the price is very steep and puts it out of a lot of folks reach ($60 a pop gets close to the most expensive stuff out there).

Edited by m_w
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, m_w said:

Played a round with them today. I'll reserve judgement until I have had more time with them but the initial impression is very positive. They remind me a little bit of a KBS Tour in regards to profile - very easy to hit a shape with them. Feel-wise, they are unique. I've played MMT's, Fujikura Pro TS, KBS TGI, Steelfibers and a bunch of steel shafts and I'll say, these are the smoothest out of all of them. Just great feeling all-around. High spin, mid-high launch.

I would wish two things: Xcaliber needs to hire competent consumer marketing folks and change their branding if they are to be successful in the long run (just my opinion ofc) and I think for a shaft produced in China (doesn't mean its bad) the price is very steep and puts it out of a lot of folks reach ($60 a pop gets close to the most expensive stuff out there

Almost everything component related is made in China. I would say the very unique design of these shafts is what contributes to what you’re considering a higher price. That and Xcaliber isn’t making near the volume of shafts the other bigger OEM companies are (yet). 

You also won’t find many shafts that are marked with the stable plane for oscillation. 

4 hours ago, Colej said:

Almost everything component related is made in China. I would say the very unique design of these shafts is what contributes to what you’re considering a higher price. That and Xcaliber isn’t making near the volume of shafts the other bigger OEM companies are (yet). 

You also won’t find many shafts that are marked with the stable plane for oscillation. 

I'm not saying they aren't worth the money. I'm simply saying that it's aggressive pricing for a company that is trying to break into the market. AFAIK, Mitsubishi makes all of their high-end stuff in their factory in Japan.

I really liked my experience with them - quick and insightful responses.

23 hours ago, m_w said:

How do you arrive at that statement given the price tag? Honestly curious. 

High priced quality shafts are above $200 ea.  $200 is a very low end price.   I don't believe Xcaliber has any in those price range.

Now if you are thinking you can get a quality shaft for $40 then I can see where you are coming from.  

30 minutes ago, denkea said:

High priced quality shafts are above $200 ea.  $200 is a very low end price.   I don't believe Xcaliber has any in those price range.

Now if you are thinking you can get a quality shaft for $40 then I can see where you are coming from.  

We are talking about iron shafts but ok

11 hours ago, denkea said:

@m_w

You could compare the MMT which lists price at $60 and the Xcaliber tour pro. It lists price at $50. I wouldn’t say they are carbon copies but they’re likely close in construction. 

Edited by Colej

22 minutes ago, Colej said:

@m_w

You could compare the MMT which lists price at $60 and the Xcaliber tour pro. It lists price at $50. I wouldn’t say they are carbon copies but they’re likely close in construction. 

I don’t understand what’s going on in this thread. I’m simply stating they are expensive. Why would I compare them to shafts I’ve never played and haven’t purchased? 

I believe another factor in the RT cost is the ion plating finish. regardless I like them a lot and find they are worth the money.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Iget them to my door for about the same as a Recoil 95, less than a Steelfiber, quite a bit less than the KBS graphite models, about the same as a Project X steel shaft, slightly more than most newer True Temper steel shaft models.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2021 at 4:34 PM, m_w said:

I would wish two things: Xcaliber needs to hire competent consumer marketing folks and change their branding if they are to be successful in the long run (just my opinion ofc) and I think for a shaft produced in China (doesn't mean its bad) the price is very steep and puts it out of a lot of folks reach ($60 a pop gets close to the most expensive stuff out there).

I have a 95g test shaft I used a bit prior to recent shoulder surgery. They are really smooth. I love the feel. I'm kind of mid tempo, but put a pretty good load on shafts and they still hold up well. The feel actually helps me keep my tempo from speeding up. Shafts that give you that load feeling help with that, but they usually don't hold up on the downswing. The RT does which is nice.  Only thing missing for me is a heavier option in that 115g-125g range and taper tip constantly weight would nice 

I've used xcalibur before many even knew what they were, so I say this out of a place of love for the quality and creator -

Rebrand.

The whole King Arthur sword, the graphics, etc ...

Extremely corny. 

If they rebrand, they'll have a bigger pool of consumers. 

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

8 hours ago, OrangeGravy said:

I have a 95g test shaft I used a bit prior to recent shoulder surgery. They are really smooth. I love the feel. I'm kind of mid tempo, but put a pretty good load on shafts and they still hold up well. The feel actually helps me keep my tempo from speeding up. Shafts that give you that load feeling help with that, but they usually don't hold up on the downswing. The RT does which is nice.  Only thing missing for me is a heavier option in that 115g-125g range and taper tip constantly weight would nice 

They are working on a 105 version I believe 

17 minutes ago, Colej said:

I’m not sure on a heavier version. There used to be a 105 gram version of the pro tour shaft but it wasn’t a good seller compared to the lighter weights. 

what you could do is use the Spin 105 shaft for the short irons….

I should clarify, they told me that they are working on a heavier version.

• Like 2

The 105g version is in prototype and is just as good as the rest of the weights. Another 10 will be sent out to various locations for testing. There has been a constant line of questions about a heavier weight. A 105g version will fit extremely well with the mixed weight option that has been very popular. 

In testing the data between 3 identically set up 7 irons, 85g 95g and 105g were virtually the same. But there is a noticeable difference in force to swing the clubs. I was sure the 105g shaft would be down on numbers because in my head i felt like I was laboring. To my surprise I couldn't tell which sheet belonged to what iron shaft. 

Screenshot_20211015-151936_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20211015-151902_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20211014-201516_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 3