What are your fitness plans for off season?

blues72

I like basing my lifting off compound lifts; squat, DL, Bench, Snatch ect. Compound movement teach different body parts to work together just like a golf swing. I follow those up with a lot of DB lifts and focus on balance on those, i.e. one leg DB DL or a lateral row but sitting on a medicine ball. As for a particular routine depends what your gym /  at home gym has, and the level of training you're at. I don;t want to recommend more complex movements until the basics are learned with good technique.

Always always always warm up dynamically, and do a good (minimum 10 minute) static stretch afterwards.

• Like 1

Started some speed training back in October. 

Also doing a daily mobility programme. I'm using an app called GoWod. It's for athletes instead of being golf specific, but it's hitting all the right areas. Hips, thoracic spine, etc. There is a test to do at the start to establish your strengths and weaknesses and then you can do a daily flow or hit certain areas. 

I'm just doing the daily flow, you can choose 8mins, 15mins or 22mins worth of mobility and it will take you through a series of stretches to work on your areas. I'm just under a week in and really enjoying it and my body feels much better just for getting active for 15mins a day. 

• Like 1

WITB

Taylormade M2 driver 9.5 Fujikura Pro 60 stiff shaft
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood Fubuki Z-65 x5ct stiff shaft
Taylormade burner rescue 17 degree stiff shaft
Cobra Fly-Z Plus 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour Wedges 50, 54, 58, Dynamic Gold
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
Handicap 15.5

Home club https://www.stboswellsgolfclub.co.uk

I've been training for 20 years now and my regiment does vary but some things stay constant.  Those things are heavy compound lifts(deads, bench press, weighted pull ups, and different variations of squats), speed training with resistance bands the the super speed golf sticks and cardio.  I also emphasize core exercises and using the bosu ball for balance work as well but that's more for spring, fall and summer when I play a lot of golf.  Even though I live in SoCal, the winters here do bring rain so I'm not always able to get out on the course plus I get busier with work during the winters as well.  With that being said, I am going to focus more on strength training these next few months.  I can dead 315 for 10, squat 365 for 6 and bench 295 for 6 atm, but I would like to get a bit more stronger.  You can never be strong enough for sports in general and golf is no exception.  I've also started doing more cardio as well so I don't pack on more weight as I'm content with my body composition where I'm at now.  Doing 30 mins of cardio 4-5 times a week. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

For the last 2 off seasons, I had been doing a program called StrongLifts 5x5.  It is similar what others have already told you, it includes dead lifts, barbell rows, bench press, overhead press, squats.  Although I've enjoyed that program, I decided to purchase the Super Speed program and do that this winter.  Last night I started my 3rd week of the program, so still have a long way to go.  My starting CHS is 105, I haven't measured my CHS since I"ve started this, but I'm seeing some solid gains in the speed i am swinging the weighted sticks.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, exgolfpro said:

For the last 2 off seasons, I had been doing a program called StrongLifts 5x5.  It is similar what others have already told you, it includes dead lifts, barbell rows, bench press, overhead press, squats.  Although I've enjoyed that program, I decided to purchase the Super Speed program and do that this winter.  Last night I started my 3rd week of the program, so still have a long way to go.  My starting CHS is 105, I haven't measured my CHS since I"ve started this, but I'm seeing some solid gains in the speed i am swinging the weighted sticks.

This has been on my radar for some time.  I’ve heard of folks developing injuries doing this, have you experienced any concerns?  Thanks!!

Just now, blues72 said:

This has been on my radar for some time.  I’ve heard of folks developing injuries doing this, have you experienced any concerns?  Thanks!!

Yes, I already have.  I had to lay off for 10 days to let a forearm injury heal.  It happened doing the left handed swings, Im guessing during the change of direction at the top of the swing.  Ive read that you need to take extra care warming up, which I do, but still resulted in an injury.  Luckily since I've started back, I've had no problems.

• Like 1

Here is an old, fat, guy workout I do during day light savings to remove the beer weight I put on during golf season.  I do it 5 times a week, M-Th and then Saturday.  I did see a personal trainer for a year to learn form because I didn't want to hurt myself.

Each "workout" I:  Treadmill walk... 5 minutes.  Then three reps of 10/20 depending on the exercise of any 3 of the following.  Leg lifts, sit-ups on a bosu ball, russian twists, mountain climbers, squat jumps, burpees, bird dogs, or medicine ball on one knee in a swinging motion both sides, clock lunges, or "side ups" where I lay on my side on the bosu ball and lift up my torso.  I hate planks, I get bored, but sometimes I will throw them in just to say I did.

M,W "Arms"

Then I do the regular lifts, lat pulls, curls, inclined bench, skull crushers, and military press with enough weight to do over ten reps but under 15 before I can't do another.

Then stretching hamstrings and lower back using a strap so my tight muscles can't go back to the comfort level.  If you do this, make sure to not overstretch or pulse stretch.  Groin and quads as well.

T,Th "Legs"

I tend to do the leg lifts, clock lunges, and russian twists.

Then three sets of 10 weighted squats, with a deadlift from floor to waist while I wait to do them again (for me they help stretch the hamstrings for a better squat).

Then jump on the treadmill for 15 minutes of interval walk/run.

Stretch.

Sat I do it all and it takes me 45 minutes rather than an hour.

Overall, it takes me between 25-30 minutes, and then the stretching.  Pretty simple really, but if you are fat and old, it helps.  I hate lifting weights or anything fitness truthfully, but it at least keeps me active and over the 3.5 months I can feel improvement, I generally lose about 15-20 pounds, but as soon as golf season starts I am done.

If anyone has better ideas specific to golf, I am all ears.

Edited by Petethreeput
  • Like 1

Overall, I'm trying for a post-COVID (hope, hope...) fitness plan.

In January, I had completed eight weeks of physical therapy for my arthritic right hip. Good feeling for both strength and flexibility, plus work on adductor longus (inside front thigh muscle). FYI, lots of golfers apparently strain the a-l if they try to swing too hard.

The therapist is a golfer, and he had lots of insights on the hip area and the golfer's body in general.

Anyway, he turned me loose in February to continue the exercises at my gym. This is about the time the COVID restrictions hit. Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker made gyms off limits in the early days. A week after initial restrictions were lifted, my gym went out of business.

So, for the hip exercises I needed gym equipment. You can't isolate on the leg and hip muscles with a can of soup in the living room.

It turns out Planet Fitness had opened a well-equipped gym in our area. I joined up and have been going for a couple of months.

I might go to GolfTEC and get a swing analysis, see where the physical wobbles are. Then, I can blend isolation work with general fitness workouts.

I turned 70 earlier this month, so I plan to work on cardio and core stability, and trim some weight. This will help with golf and overall fitness for the future.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

In my 40's and finally getting back into playing more golf again.  I probably only averaged 3-4 rounds a year for the past decade due to work and raising little minions.  

Anyhow I probably got 15 rounds in this year and the bug is back.

Aside from spending way too much time on this site updating my equipment through BST, I like this post as I've been thinking this very thought as I can't golf in the winters here in the midwest.

My driver SS averages about 110 so want to gain some speed over the winter and thinking about doing the speedsticks program.

I used to lift religiously and have done the 5x5 mentioned above and see lots of benefits with yhose compound movement in golf and any sport.  However, I think I'm going to focus mostly on mobility, flexibility, and core this winter.  Still looking for the right program(s) so hopefully I can pick and choose through these replies.

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM 10.5º | Ventus Black-6X
Callaway Epic SZ 3 wood | Graphite Design AD IZ-7X
Callaway Mavrik SZ 5 wood | Graphite Design AD IZ-7s
Titleist Ts3 Hybrid 24º | Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 70x
Miura PP9003 SN 5-PW | DG 120 X100
Titleist Vokey Wedge SM7 52F, SM8 56D & 60D | Dynamic Gold Project X LZ 6.5

TaylorMade Daddy Long Legs +
Titleist Pro v1x

I've been using the Fit for Golf program (website) for about a year and have really enjoyed it. There are several different programs available (beginner, off-season, speed-specific, in-season) based on your experience and fitness goal. Most of the focus is on strength and power in compound movements (bench, squat, deadlift), rotational exercises (e.g. medicine ball tosses), and mobility. These are not only good golf workouts, but good workouts in general.

I have been doing traditional lifting for a while and had good baseline strength, but never did any power or mobility work. After completing the off-season and speed-specific workouts I have seen a marked improvement in my pelvic and thoracic spine mobility which has translated into more rotation in my golf swing. That, combined with the speed work, has increased by driver swing speed by 5-10 mph. Before starting this program I was around 100-105 mph, and after have clocked swings on a Full Swing simulator consistently at 110-115 mph, with a max of 118. Obviously your mileage will vary -- I had pretty terrible mobility so lots of room for improvement.

I highly recommend purchasing the program if you have the money (~$120 for all programs for a year).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm currently using the Fit for Golf Off Season Program and it's great for increasing power and flexibility.  Everything is included in an app and you can either pay $12 monthly for access to every program offered, or pay individually for programs ($79 for off season program).  The moves are so different than anything that I've done before which also makes it a ton of fun.  If you combine this with swing speed training (not necessarily speed sticks but even just swinging your own club at max.), I think you'll see some nice gains.  Check out the website (https://fitforgolf.blog/) or he also posts a ton of good content in any social media platform if you search for Fit_For_Golf.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

Jameson w/ ginger ale leading to Jameson straight. A few Barbiturates with HGH , and a few shots of steroids before the start of the first round next year.

• Haha 3

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

15 minutes ago, NoTalentLefty said:

Jameson w/ ginger ale leading to Jameson straight. A few Barbiturates with HGH , and a few shots of steroids before the start of the first round next year.

Don't overdo it now.  You might end up looking like Bryson minus all the talent.  🤣

• Haha 2

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

6 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Don't overdo it now.  You might end up looking like Bryson minus all the talent.  🤣

Definitely minus the talent

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

6 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

I've been training for 20 years now and my regiment does vary but some things stay constant.  Those things are heavy compound lifts(deads, bench press, weighted pull ups, and different variations of squats), speed training with resistance bands the the super speed golf sticks and cardio.  I also emphasize core exercises and using the bosu ball for balance work as well but that's more for spring, fall and summer when I play a lot of golf.  Even though I live in SoCal, the winters here do bring rain so I'm not always able to get out on the course plus I get busier with work during the winters as well.  With that being said, I am going to focus more on strength training these next few months.  I can dead 315 for 10, squat 365 for 6 and bench 295 for 6 atm, but I would like to get a bit more stronger.  You can never be strong enough for sports in general and golf is no exception.  I've also started doing more cardio as well so I don't pack on more weight as I'm content with my body composition where I'm at now.  Doing 30 mins of cardio 4-5 times a week. 

No half squats please 

1 minute ago, milesgiles said:

No half squats please 

HA!  Nope, a** to the grass, mate.   

Attached is a pic of what I look like.  Yeah, I don't look like a 300 pound bodybuilder with 5% body fat, but I consider myself a bit more than your average gym rat.  😉

IMG_20200720_182937.jpg

PXL_20201119_220206695.jpg

7 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

HA!  Nope, a** to the grass, mate.   

Attached is a pic of what I look like.  Yeah, I don't look like a 300 pound bodybuilder with 5% body fat, but I consider myself a bit more than your average gym rat.  😉

IMG_20200720_182937.jpg

PXL_20201119_220206695.jpg

What have i done..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

What have i done..

I'm a personal trainer.  I consider it my job to at least look the part......kinda, lol. 

5 hours ago, frisco9 said:

In my 40's and finally getting back into playing more golf again.  I probably only averaged 3-4 rounds a year for the past decade due to work and raising little minions.  

Anyhow I probably got 15 rounds in this year and the bug is back.

Aside from spending way too much time on this site updating my equipment through BST, I like this post as I've been thinking this very thought as I can't golf in the winters here in the midwest.

My driver SS averages about 110 so want to gain some speed over the winter and thinking about doing the speedsticks program.

I used to lift religiously and have done the 5x5 mentioned above and see lots of benefits with yhose compound movement in golf and any sport.  However, I think I'm going to focus mostly on mobility, flexibility, and core this winter.  Still looking for the right program(s) so hopefully I can pick and choose through these replies.

Please let us know which program(s) you end up choosing.  Interested to hear how you’ll be training!

5 hours ago, jurgie54 said:

I've been using the Fit for Golf program (website) for about a year and have really enjoyed it. There are several different programs available (beginner, off-season, speed-specific, in-season) based on your experience and fitness goal. Most of the focus is on strength and power in compound movements (bench, squat, deadlift), rotational exercises (e.g. medicine ball tosses), and mobility. These are not only good golf workouts, but good workouts in general.

I have been doing traditional lifting for a while and had good baseline strength, but never did any power or mobility work. After completing the off-season and speed-specific workouts I have seen a marked improvement in my pelvic and thoracic spine mobility which has translated into more rotation in my golf swing. That, combined with the speed work, has increased by driver swing speed by 5-10 mph. Before starting this program I was around 100-105 mph, and after have clocked swings on a Full Swing simulator consistently at 110-115 mph, with a max of 118. Obviously your mileage will vary -- I had pretty terrible mobility so lots of room for improvement.

I highly recommend purchasing the program if you have the money (~$120 for all programs for a year).

This sounds like a cool program!  Thanks for sharing. I’ll be checking it out!

A hernia operation next Tuesday and knee operation probably in early March.  Then the real conditioing begins as I want to walk again when I play.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

I don't have any specific plans yet. My main thing that I want to do is just get in better general shape, I pulled an ab muscle on the course one day, took it easy the next 4 but then my back acted up. Ended up with about a 2 week layoff in the middle of golf season, super fun, but considering everything going on in this world, could have been worse.  I'm planning on focusing on the core and legs, work on stretching, and doing some speed training. Thinking about doing the speed sticks, but I think with the swing fan I bought, and the weighted club I have I probably have enough to do what I need.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft