58* md lw

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

On 12/6/2020 at 3:17 PM, GolfNuts4 said:

Interesting post. I have moved to light weight shafts in everything except wedges. I do have one question as I read through the previous posts. Most of the posts talk about average driver yardage being around 200-220 yards. I noticed many of the driver lofts are 9-10.5 degrees. Was wondering why maybe people are not adding loft for these slower swing speeds. I have been told loft is your friend when swing speeds are below 90mph. I have lofted my Rogue driver to 12.5. Thoughts?

Please note, I am not trying to derail OP's posting, I have found it very interesting. Just peaked my interest on loft.

The G400 G Max only goes to 10.5, so that is why you see them in 10.5. But the G Max elevates quite well. I will be looking at the G 425 G Max to see if it is worth it. Right now the G Max is in solidly.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

I'm enjoying the discuss here, as I'm really interested in what golfers in my age/hdcp/distance (69/9/220-230) category are playing.

I'm currently playing either Tensei CK Blue 75HY R or CK Red 65HY R in my 21° and 25° hybrids; however, I'm looking for a somewhat higher launch and wondering if anyone has tried the Graphite Design AD HY 65 R / AD IZ 65 R1 hybrid shafts or Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 6R/6R2 shafts?

Edited by HiTrajLoSpin

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x

8 minutes ago, HiTrajLoSpin said:

I'm really enjoying the discuss here, as I'm really interested in what golfers in my age/hdcp/distance (69/9/220-230) category are playing.

I'm currently playing either Tensei CK Blue 75HY R or CK Red 65HY R in my 21° and 25° hybrids; however, I'm looking for a somewhat higher launch and wondering if anyone has tried the Graphite Design AD HY 65 R / AD IZ 65 R1 hybrid shafts or Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 6R/6R2 shafts?

In hybrids, I've have good results with the GD AD HY 65R and Mitsu Tensei CK Pro Red 70g R. 

• Thanks 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

On 12/8/2020 at 4:13 PM, platgof said:

The G400 G Max only goes to 10.5, so that is why you see them in 10.5. But the G Max elevates quite well. I will be looking at the G 425 G Max to see if it is worth it. Right now the G Max is in solidly.

Exactly - My setup with G400 Max 9 deg is to hit up on ball - I get 15-16 in launch and 2300-2500 spin with a current 90 mph swing. I get a high ball.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

On 12/6/2020 at 4:17 PM, GolfNuts4 said:

Interesting post. I have moved to light weight shafts in everything except wedges. I do have one question as I read through the previous posts. Most of the posts talk about average driver yardage being around 200-220 yards. I noticed many of the driver lofts are 9-10.5 degrees. Was wondering why maybe people are not adding loft for these slower swing speeds. I have been told loft is your friend when swing speeds are below 90mph. I have lofted my Rogue driver to 12.5. Thoughts?

Please note, I am not trying to derail OP's posting, I have found it very interesting. Just peaked my interest on loft.

For me a 10.5 driver loft is not an issue. Launch is 14-16 degrees spin is 2300 and AOA is + 3-5* so effective loft will be 13-15* anymore driver loft will get my drives too high. 

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

55 minutes ago, boggyman said:

Self made irons as in what configuration? 

I carry a 7i thru sw. I trimmed the shafts regular + stiffness. The heads look like blades, but are hollowed gi heads.

Here are the heads and shafts:

https://www.monarkgolf.com/golf-components/clubheads/golf-iron-heads/dynacraft-prophet-muscle-blade-iron-head.html

https://www.monarkgolf.com/golf-components/shafts/graphite-golf-shafts/mcs-graphite/mcs-75-graphite-iron-blue.html

• Thanks 1

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

2 hours ago, SwingMan said:

Exactly - My setup with G400 Max 9 deg is to hit up on ball - I get 15-16 in launch and 2300-2500 spin with a current 90 mph swing. I get a high ball.

You probably know this, but with driver face bulge/roll, high on the face is a higher loft number than the center. A 10.5 is suppose to be a center measurement (give or take for mfg tolerances). Could you be hitting high on the face all/most of the time and adding to the dynamic loft? Just thinking out loud.

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

50 minutes ago, Milfordlefty said:

You probably know this, but with driver face bulge/roll, high on the face is a higher loft number than the center. A 10.5 is suppose to be a center measurement (give or take for mfg tolerances). Could you be hitting high on the face all/most of the time and adding to the dynamic loft? Just thinking out loud.

Goes far too high when hit high on face- almost comical. Was fit by my instructor on Trackman. Ball off front big toe, slight spine lean, decent tee height - ball about half-way above crown.

• Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Walked nine today, and it was windy. I quit using my 5 wood, and now just the 7 wood. Had a slow 4 some ahead, and they backed up two fairways, yea, I called the marshal. Glad it was only nine behind them, forget nine more. I was not driving it well at all, and barely made bogey golf with a birdie on the last hole. I will see the pro before starting the next season. Irons and short game, arghhh! One of those days. I am going to add a Heavenwood and chipper to the bag. The heavenwood will replace the 5 wood, and the Cleveland chipper will be used around the green for those shots that just front the green.

Edited by platgof
  • Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

16 hours ago, platgof said:

Walked nine today, and it was windy. I quit using my 5 wood, and now just the 7 wood. Had a slow 4 some ahead, and they backed up two fairways, yea, I called the marshal. Glad it was only nine behind them, forget nine more. I was not driving it well at all, and barely made bogey golf with a birdie on the last hole. I will see the pro before starting the next season. Irons and short game, arghhh! One of those days. I am going to add a Heavenwood and chipper to the bag. The heavenwood will replace the 5 wood, and the Cleveland chipper will be used around the green for those shots that just front the green.

Have you ever tried your hybrids for those shots around the green off tight lies? A little practice and you'll be amazed how good you can get with them.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

17 hours ago, platgof said:

the Cleveland chipper will be used around the green for those shots that just front the green.

I had one of those for about a hot minute.  Well, actually it was longer than that, but the point being that I could never get that thing to work for me.

ISTM that there are two types of golfers; those who use chippers and love them and those who don't.  There's no middle ground with that type of club.

When I was trying to use one these past two seasons I couldn't get over having the ball run out for miles.  I also found that a quality strike wasn't any easier to pull off than what you might get with a corresponding short iron.

I hope that it works out favourably for you.

• Like 2

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I tried a chipper for a couple rounds but couldn't find consistency with it, now it sits in the garage for the last 5 yrs. I thought I would give it another try this year, just for something to do, it's not for me. Distance was always a struggle, and I could always do better with my wedges. Learn how to chip and make shots around the green. Phil M has a great video on the short game, it's helped many a golfer. 

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

You have to find what works for you.  There are countless posts on WRX advising this or that method.  Lots of anecdotes to back up the success of these various methods, many of which are promoted by top instructors.  I'm not sure what the answer is to be honest.  I've noticed lately that the advice falls into one of two categories:  a) get good with using one or two higher lofted clubs in a variety of ways; b) use a variety of clubs to control runout and work on a simple technique.

I used to be more in the former camp, but have tried to adapt to the latter style in more recent times.  If I'm honest with myself, I was probably better when I stuck to just using my traditional wedges.  Having said that there is definitely merit in using short irons for bump and runs.  Perhaps a blend of the two...

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I put a Cleveland chipper in the bag this season and am still trying to dial it in. I've spent zero time on the practice green with it though. I thought it would be plug and play, but it hasn't been for me. I've alternated between a putting stroke and hinge/hold chipping action with equal results. I'll keep it in the bag for 2021 and try to get to the practice green.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

I used a Senior flex Diamana shaft on my Titleist 913D thru about July 2020, then went back to Regular flex. What precipitated this change what my taking a lesson for

which the instructor used Trackman and a high speed camera. He determined that my effective loft at impact was around 24*, versus the nominal loft of 12*.  Pictures showed that the club was bent way forward at impact. I made the switch back to Regular flex based on this information and my drives improved. 

As another data point, I went through an irons, wedges, hybrid fitting in September (using Flight Scope) and was fitted for Regular flex shafts.

My swing speed is borderline between Senior and Regular, however Regular works better for my swing.

Clubs: Ping (Driver, 5W, 5H, 6H, 7i-UW), Cleveland (wedges), Odyssey 2-Ball counter balanced

Ball: Maxfli Tour (yellow) or Vice Pro (neon lime); Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope x5

55 minutes ago, PJ1120 said:

Just read the whole thread. I'm surprised that the number of people using senior (A) shafts is so low.

This is WRX, even for seniors it's not unusual to see X flex tipped shafts 🙂

• Haha 2

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

1 hour ago, PJ1120 said:

Just read the whole thread. I'm surprised that the number of people using senior (A) shafts is so low.

I know and play with lots of guys that wouldn't even consider it.  My good buddy Dave just got a new Callaway driver at an equipment show.  He bought it because it was stiff flex.  He wasn't fitted.  His rational was that he would hit a stiff shaft straighter.  He plays stiff in  everything.

By comparison I play senior in everything (but wedges) and I hit it straighter and further than he does.  I imagine we're similar for swing speed.  If anything his transition is a bit smoother.  I have followed along the theory that you play as soft as you can control.  I haven't noticed any drop off in consistency with A, so I figure I'm fine with it.  As an added bonus the clubs are a bit lighter and I'm not as sore after a round.

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

1 hour ago, scomac2002 said:

I know and play with lots of guys that wouldn't even consider it.  My good buddy Dave just got a new Callaway driver at an equipment show.  He bought it because it was stiff flex.  He wasn't fitted.  His rational was that he would hit a stiff shaft straighter.  He plays stiff in  everything.

By comparison I play senior in everything (but wedges) and I hit it straighter and further than he does.  I imagine we're similar for swing speed.  If anything his transition is a bit smoother.  I have followed along the theory that you play as soft as you can control.  I haven't noticed any drop off in consistency with A, so I figure I'm fine with it.  As an added bonus the clubs are a bit lighter and I'm not as sore after a round.

I just bought a used Epic Flash with a senior shaft. I'm about 10-15 yards longer off the tee. I'm 71 YO and my driver CHS now tops out at about 80mph.

Shaft flex and which tees male golfers play as they age will be a question for all time. I know guys that are in their mid 50's and are upset if they don't get the senior rate for their round, but then insist they play the middle/back tees, because senior tees for for old people!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

On 12/6/2020 at 11:03 PM, hybrid25 said:

Driver  xr16  10.5*

4w       xr16  17*

4h        xhot  22*

5h           "     25*

6h           "     28* 

7h           "     31*

7i---sw(54*)   self made 

58* md lw

I upgraded all my metals to the Mav Max line (4w= Mav because I wanted that loft) for the coming season so it will be a "new thing" for me. Looking forward to getting out this spring, but maybe sneak down to Florida for a few rounds? All clubs are regular stiffness. My SS is about 93 mph (getting old !), and can probably carry 220 - 230 on a good drive.

Driver  Mav Max 10.5*

4w      Mav          16.5*

4h     Mav Max    21*

5h           "            24*

6h           "            27* 

7h           "            30*

7i    Dynacraft     31*

8i       Prophet     35*

9i      (I built)        40*

pw       "               45*

aw       "               50*

sw       "               54*    

LW   MacDad.     58*

Putter = Odyssey double wide stroke lab

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

I decided to boost my iron game and just got a set of PXG Gen 2 XF irons. The price was just too good to pass up on, and will be at the house in 4 weeks. I was planning on waiting for the G 425 irons, but the PXG's look so sweet, and I hit a playing partners 9 iron, and it was nice. You can do the same as I did and have him talk to the fitter. They are very knowledgeable and will get it done. At $149 a club they are priced right. I ordered 6-Aw for a grand, shipped!! 

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

On 12/13/2020 at 8:12 AM, braincramp52 said:

Have you ever tried your hybrids for those shots around the green off tight lies? A little practice and you'll be amazed how good you can get with them.

I carry a Cobra F8 One Length 19 deg hybrid.  It is truly my utility club and basically replaces my 4 iron.  I choke down and use it instead of my 5 iron in some cases.  I chip green side with it.  I use it to get out of trouble in the rough, under trees etc.  it’s like cheating for anything 175-195 yards.

Cobra Radspeed 10.5
Cobra LTDX 3W 16 deg
Cobra F9 3Hy & 4Hy
Cobra Forged Tec 5-PW Nippon Modus 105S
Cobra MIM Tour 51 deg
Taylor Made Milled Grind3 - 56

Odyssey Triple Track 2-Ball Putter

As a short distance senior, should which end of the bag should I fill up?  More wedges for scoring or more long clubs so I get closer to my target to start with?  

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

1 hour ago, crazygolfnut said:

As a short distance senior, should which end of the bag should I fill up?  More wedges for scoring or more long clubs so I get closer to my target to start with?  

If you're anything like me you won't need a whole lot of options on the long end.  I find less is better because it simplifies choice and likely results in keeping those which you can actually hit reasonably consistently.  Once I'm more than 150 yards from the green all I want to do is advance the ball.  More options around the green is probably better, but you need to put the time to get competent with more wedges.

• Like 3

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa