Help me decide P770 or mp20 mmc

Jim E

5 hours ago, Jim E said:

Hi Nick, I’m ordering the P770’s tomorrow. I’m wondering if you’ve had a chance to play much with the long irons. I’m trying to decide if I should go p790 in 4-5 irons. I’ve only hit the 7 irons.

what do you think?

Even if you can't hit them pull out a 4 iron from both sets.  790 will give you more forgiveness for sure.  All things equal they will perform about the same.  If you're having doubts about the iron you probably already have your answer, p790.

I would ask the guys to hit one with tape.

1 hour ago, Nick_E said:

Even if you can't hit them pull out a 4 iron from both sets.  790 will give you more forgiveness for sure.  All things equal they will perform about the same.  If you're having doubts about the iron you probably already have your answer, p790.

I would ask the guys to hit one with tape.

Thanks Nick. The stores around here don’t have any sets in stock. TM combo guide says 4i 1* weak, 5i 2* weak. I’ll probably go that route. I figure a little more forgiveness with those would probably be fine.

• Like 1

The 770 long irons are just as forgiving as anything that is in its comparable class.  More forgiving than AP2 and comparable to i210.  There’s a lot of forgiveness packed into the compact heads.

Make your choice based on your confidence with the 4i.  If you’re relatively confident you’ll be more than fine.  If you are not, the extra forgiveness of the 790 will help.

Edited by Hougz79

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

11 hours ago, CW13 said:

I have been playing 716CBs 4-pw but am looking for something new. Is there anything the MMC, HMB, or 770s offer that my CBs won’t? I’m totally open to adding the MBs as well 

I have not hit the 716cbs but I did hit mmc, hmb, and 770.  The mmc felt the best, but spin a bit too much for me.  I was a little worried about forgiveness.  The hmb just a little too big and didn't feel quite as good.  The 770s were a very nice size, had a good feel, not as good as mmc, bit they launch high and spin a bit less.  At same lofts they just had better ball speed, launch, spin, and descent angle.  I was shocked how good they were.   It did take my a lot of shafts to find the optimum numbers and since I'm a high spin player went with project x.  

I should have them in in 2 weeks or so so I don't have feedback on full set.

I would hit mmc and 770s at a minimum.  You probably want to hit 7mcs as well.

I have had the 790s for 3 years now and they are easily workable when needed.  I would recommend anyone to go with the more forgiving set unless the turf interaction with one set fits your swing better for some reason or you can't get spin/flight numbers with any other shaft/head combo.  I'm a + handicap, played competitive DII college and still play state level tournaments and getting the most forgiveness and consistency is still the goal of iron play.   

The idea of 80s players wanting more workability I just can't understand.  I can easily work the 790s if I need to or want to so I can't imagine the new 770s to be too difficult.  More workability also equals more inconsistency....so for about anyone except those with the most control of their golf ball should be happy when its harder to work the ball with a club.  It means you'll hit it straighter more often and you'll score better.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, rochestergolfer36 said:

I have had the 790s for 3 years now and they are easily workable when needed.  I would recommend anyone to go with the more forgiving set unless the turf interaction with one set fits your swing better for some reason or you can't get spin/flight numbers with any other shaft/head combo.  I'm a + handicap, played competitive DII college and still play state level tournaments and getting the most forgiveness and consistency is still the goal of iron play.   

The idea of 80s players wanting more workability I just can't understand.  I can easily work the 790s if I need to or want to so I can't imagine the new 770s to be too difficult.  More workability also equals more inconsistency....so for about anyone except those with the most control of their golf ball should be happy when its harder to work the ball with a club.  It means you'll hit it straighter more often and you'll score better.

Agree with you.  I was state champion and played in college for 2 years.  Ive been a plus for many years and now a 2.  I worked the ball when I hit balls for 2 hours a day.  Now I'm trying to hit it primarily straight and playing on the safe side of pins.  Anyone working it towards pins really needs to have control of your ball and practice a lot.  

I went with 770s as they just go straight and dispersion is low, along with great ball speed, height, and decent spin.  Can't wait to get them in.  

I may change my mind after playing them on the course, but I doubt it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick_E said:

Agree with you.  I was state champion and played in college for 2 years.  Ive been a plus for many years and now a 2.  I worked the ball when I hit balls for 2 hours a day.  Now I'm trying to hit it primarily straight and playing on the safe side of pins.  Anyone working it towards pins really needs to have control of your ball and practice a lot.  

I went with 770s as they just go straight and dispersion is low, along with great ball speed, height, and decent spin.  Can't wait to get them in.  

As a 6 handicap that likes to TRY to work the ball for absolutely no good reason, I needed to read this. Straight shots, safe side. Quit mucking about. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, hwturner17 said:

As a 6 handicap that likes to TRY to work the ball for absolutely no good reason, I needed to read this. Straight shots, safe side. Quit mucking about. 

You could do an experiment in a few rounds.  Don't try to work it play to safe side of pin.  Then try to work it.

See if scores changes, but also gir and putts.

I'd bet all would improve.

12 hours ago, rochestergolfer36 said:

💯 On this. 

21 hours ago, Nick_E said:

I agree with both of you 100%. I didn’t play in college but reasonably competitive + hdcp now and just switched to the 770’s for this very reason. I want 1 shot shape and have no interest in working the ball on the course. We have had crummy weather the last few days since I picked up the 770’s but 5-6 hours on trackman and these clubs have blown me away. I went 4-P. Very consistent spin, launch, distance, even with my thin miss.  I’m going to go as far to say my favorite irons ever and I usually need several weeks to break in new clubs. 

• Like 1

TM SLDR 10.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 60X
913 FD 15* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3X
913 HD 20* - D+ 92X
712 U 4 & CB 5-PW C-Taper S+
sM4 50.12, 54.11, 60.10 C-taper S
see More M3 Platinum

9 hours ago, MattTerfehr said:

I just got some MP20 MMC’s and can’t wait to play them outside, but so far very good in the sim.  Hopefully I can attest to them being exceptional too!  Coming from some AP2’s...

You just made the best choice of your golfing iron life... congratulations... superb iron.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick_E said:

Just heard Taylormade waiting on p770 heads again.  Mine was supposed to ship next week, now first of February.  If you order now from TM it's end of March ship date.

Popular head plus supply chain issues making a longer wait time.  

That sucks.  Got my 770s in a couple weeks.  Took 2 months for my MB’s.

2 hours ago, Nick_E said:

Just heard Taylormade waiting on p770 heads again.  Mine was supposed to ship next week, now first of February.  If you order now from TM it's end of March ship date.

Popular head plus supply chain issues making a longer wait time.  

I heard the same from them today. I ordered the week of christmas, they said shipment will come in Feb 1st and I should have them by Feb 10th. 

Driver: Ping G430LST - Diamana GT 60tx

3 Wood:  TM Stealth 3W - Diamana GT 70tx

5 Wood: Ping G430 Max 5W - Tensei Pro Orange 80tx

Irons: Taylormade P770 4-PW - Modus 130s

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50.14F Modus 130x, SM9 54.12 - 58.12 - Modus 130x 

Putter: Ping PLD Anser