The Best Chipping Advice you have ever Received?

Mr_Wolfe

Mental side: Chip it once.

This saved me many strokes and simplified the game for me. Not afraid to take bogie when I need to. 

Mechanical side: Chip it with left hand

Tempo comes from hitting a lot of balls to practice or have understanding of each shots and routine. So I tend to focus on my left hand. That enables me to have clean ball strike and proper timing.

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

I prefer Utley and similar techniques.  His ‘Art of the Short Game’ was a revelation to me.

Regardless of the technique chosen or the instructor that makes most sense to any particular individual, I believe until one is knocking on the door to scratch, the key is to have a very narrow focus on the basic chip, the basic pitch, and the standard bunker shot from good to moderate lies within 25 yds or so of the pin.  Unless you’re a member at Oakmont or Augusta National, you can get to low single digit hdcp with nothing more than those three shots and reasonable putting skill.

If you become truly automatic from the collar or light rough it takes a lot of pressure off your iron play and establishes a solid foundation for when your game advances to the point the trickier stuff might actually make a difference.

I have a 8-9 hdcp playing partner that spends the very little time he devotes to short game working on tricky lies, short-sided chips, etc.  He’d save three to four strokes per round instantly simply by cashing in on the short game ‘gimmes’ and making it from the bunker to the putting surface in a single stroke.

Edited by Aviador Naval
  • Like 2

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

10 hours ago, Aviador Naval said:

I prefer Utley and similar techniques.  His ‘Art of the Short Game’ was a revelation to me.

Regardless of the technique chosen or the instructor that makes most sense to any particular individual, I believe until one is knocking on the door to scratch, the key is to have a very narrow focus on the basic chip, the basic pitch, and the standard bunker shot from good to moderate lies within 25 yds or so of the pin.  Unless you’re a member at Oakmont or Augusta National, you can get to low single digit hdcp with nothing more than those three shots and reasonable putting skill.

If you become truly automatic from the collar or light rough it takes a lot of pressure of your iron play and establishes a solid foundation for when your game advances to the point it the trickier stuff might actually make a difference.

I have a 8-9 hdcp playing partner that spends the very little time he devotes short game working on tricky lies, short-sided chips, etc.  He’d save three to four strokes per round instantly simply by cashing in on the short game ‘gimmes’ and making it from the bunker to the putting surface in a single stroke.

I totally agree with what you're saying. Bunker shots will be a priority of mine early this year. Side note, I live about 20 miles from Oakmont, but they won't let me in without that membership card. 🙂 I keep telling them I forgot it at home.

Mr. Wolfe

Edited by Mr_Wolfe
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 11:50 AM, Obee said:

Probably getting to understand the "Sieckman/Pernice" method. I was always a "set up open,  hold on and rotate" guy and Pernice, especially, got me to me to understand that there's a different way that turned out to be much better for me.

Any solid links to this methodology you like?

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

On 1/24/2021 at 8:41 PM, 2bGood said:

Get your weight on the front foot and then put more weight on your front foot. 

I follow Phil's chipping fundamental in this video and like he does here my wieght is about 90% on my front foot. (you can even see him left his back foot up in his stance)

weight

The key here, and I am not really comfortable with how Phil explains it. is to keep the weight left, getting the leading edge under the ball, while still using the bounce.  If you "hold" the bounce correctly it works, but the way he explains it doesn't necessarily do that.  HIs technique is a bit different than what most of the short game teachers teach, but it works,  if you practice it enough.  

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

21 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

Any solid links to this methodology you like?

• Like 1

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

3 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

The key here, and I am not really comfortable with how Phil explains it. is to keep the weight left, getting the leading edge under the ball, while still using the bounce.  If you "hold" the bounce correctly it works, but the way he explains it doesn't necessarily do that.  HIs technique is a bit different than what most of the short game teachers teach, but it works,  if you practice it enough.  

Agree. It's hard to argue against Phil's technique as he is one of the best chippers ever. I just think most do not have the talent to have the leading edge that exposed. He de-lofts the club more than I feel comfortable doing.

Mr. Wolfe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

Agree. It's hard to argue against Phil's technique as he is one of the best chippers ever. I just think most do not have the talent to have the leading edge that exposed. He de-lofts the club more than I feel comfortable doing.

Mr. Wolfe

Agreed.  I watched his short game video, played around with it, what I finally figured he was doing was "hinging" which is fine...then "holding" the loft square to the swing plane, which keeps the bounce aimed at the turf.  If you forward press like he does, with the weight really left you can get steep and chunky real quick.  I have the feeling that what Phil says in his video isn't exactly what he always does in reality.  

Truth is there are a multitude of ways to play short game shots, and as a short game junky I got a but hung up trying them all.  I try to stick to 4 basic shots now, but have played around with over 20.  

1.  Putting-can use multiple clubs from off the green.  Putter, hybrid, 7 iron etc.  Even a LW if you have a dicey lie and want to hit it soft.  

2.  Low chip-can use multiple clubs, the more loft the more spin you will get.  LW gives you a low spinner, 8 iron gives you rollout.  Really like a PW here.  

3.  Medium high pitch with a higher lofted wedge.  Usually a 58.  

4.  Lob shot/bunker shot.  Same basic technique for both.  

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

7 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

'tis the key to any method you choose...

• Haha 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

2 hours ago, Krt22 said:

But some methods definitely have larger margins for error, and thus require less practice to be proficient. 

Preach on brother!!!

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

On 1/26/2021 at 9:51 PM, BeenWild said:

2nd best short game advice...from Kevin Kisner youtube video...grip of club and buttons on the shirt move at the same pace

Amen!

I wached Na Yeon Choi (LPGA player) Youtube video where she said end of club moves along with your belly button for take back which works for me.

KJ Choi said all shots except flop shot, hands before the ball.... So simple advices and it works.

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

6 hours ago, Obee said:

Wasn't sure if I posted this yet, but the first 10 minutes of this video is, by far, the best short game concept/instruction I've ever seen -- for beginners, advanced, or expert players alike. Watch it, understand the concept he's trying to get across, internalize it. It' gold.

That stick drill is tough!! Just tried it and hit one good shot out of 50. Rest were skulled or I hit the stick! 

Edited by b.mattay

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

On 1/26/2021 at 9:55 AM, Golfah said:

Larry Cheung's content really clicks for me.  I like his explanations.  For me, his technique of visualizing a straight line from the shoulder to the clubhead, and employing a "no hinge" swing works for me.  

I forgot about this and need to get back to Larry's videos. Thanks for the reminder!

17 hours ago, b.mattay said:

That stick drill is tough!! Just tried it and hit one good shot out of 50. Rest were skulled or I hit the stick! 

I like his vid, but not big on the stick drill idea - I think for the average golfer it's just going to get him or her worried about the stick and coming in steep with more leading edge/maybe flip and the "fix" may be to make some other compensation to pull it off, but I'm no swing guru.  Works for him, though, and he has probably put in thousands of hours of practice.  Learning different shots is fun, but I also don't see practice with the ball so far forwardas a great idea either, at least not the way he puts it out there.  I mean, move the ball around, experiment with ball position, what loft you present, shots, etc. but as a practice intent that makes you better no matter where you put it, I'm not sure I'm sold on that idea.  Totally disagree that if I can hit a nice shot with the ball forward in an exaggerated way from my normal position that I'll be able to hit anything off my right toe, lol, that doesn't translate. 

Edited by Hawkeye77

18 hours ago, b.mattay said:

Seriously? Very interesting. I'd love to see video of you doing it. Of course, where you put the stick matters to a great degree.... 🙂

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

33 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I like his vid, but not big on the stick drill idea - I think for the average golfer it's just going to get him or her worried about the stick and coming in steep with more leading edge/maybe flip and the "fix" may be to make some other compensation to pull it off, but I'm no swing guru.  Works for him, though, and he has probably put in thousands of hours of practice.  Learning different shots is fun, but I also don't see practice with the ball so far forwardas a great idea either, at least not the way he puts it out there.  I mean, move the ball around, experiment with ball position, what loft you present, shots, etc. but as a practice intent that makes you better no matter where you put it, I'm not sure I'm sold on that idea.  Totally disagree that if I can hit a nice shot with the ball forward in an exaggerated way from my normal position that I'll be able to hit anything off my right toe, lol, that doesn't translate. 

It actually does translate ... if you let it, Hawk. 😉

The concept is that once you get used to your weight forward all the time, and staying there, you can move the ball around and you will only feel comfortable with your weight forward and staying there and you are less likely to "reverse out of" the chip/pitch.

• Like 2

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

32 minutes ago, Obee said:

It actually does translate ... if you let it, Hawk. 😉

The concept is that once you get used to your weight forward all the time, and staying there, you can move the ball around and you will only feel comfortable with your weight forward and staying there and you are less likely to "reverse out of" the chip/pitch.

Haha, you sound like my wife - I'm just not programmed to just let things happen and go with it sometimes! Deceive me, eyes can.  I need to just feel the force.

I get his focus on the fault of what he calls "reverse out" which looks to be mostly dropping the right shoulder.  He loses me when he advocates the weight basically set on his left side to the point where he can pick up his right foot, but it's a technique and it can be learned and maybe takes some variables out of the equation and he does it great and I'm sure tons of other people can and do as well.  In general, I think ball forward as he suggests gets you a better opportunity to "use" the bounce (or avoid needing it, has he puts it) and get a little shallower which is a good thing, but I think you can pressure left a bit without going to an extreme and then focus more on a good turn through and release depending on the shot.  Just total $.01.  You could chip and pitch with a croquet mallet and beat my butt, lol, so what do I know! Maybe I'm just thinking more of little pitches vs. pure chips and there is some gray in there, don't know.

As a "method" I think what he is talking about is way more usable and valuable than the old school leading edge off the right toe.  I think your guy Sieckmann is more in the wheelhouse for the ordinary golfer than Paddy but just IMO, again maybe I'm not focused on "chip" enough.

Anyway, I love looking at any and all short game stuff and something to be learned from anyone who can effectively demonstrate how it works for them, and Harrington is terrific. Heck, anyone watching your vid on 100 yard shots will see just as good or better little shots around the greens, also. That stick thing just bugs me though (probably because I'd hit it).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Obee said:

Seriously? Very interesting. I'd love to see video of you doing it. Of course, where you put the stick matters to a great degree.... 🙂

Put a FO and DTL vid on. Leaving about 4.5 inches of gap (that little white thing is a hole liner of 4.25 inches or so). 

Results (FO) 

-Stick 

-Stick

-Thin 

Results (DTL) 

-Good 

-Thin 

-Stick

Maybe hard to tell on video but right (trail) heel is lifted off ground on every setup and swing. This is a part of the game I need to get better at (as well as driving accuracy). Scrambling was 40.2% in latter part of 2020. I miss exactly 5 greens per round on average and bumping scrambling to 60% is a shot saved. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EggmkcOIws0

^FO View

Edited by b.mattay
  • Like 1

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV