Another Pawley's Island Trip...

Almost every year, me & my buddies do a golf trip to Pawley's Island from Pittsburgh. It's a way to break up the winter. This year we are going March 24-29. EVERY single year we play The Heritage Club. My uncle lives on the course so we always make a point to play it - plus the deal is ridiculous. Also, we played Willbrook last year and we all seemed to enjoy that course. Those 2 are pretty set into this year's trip at this point. We are trying to figure out which other 2 courses to play. We are leaning towards Pawley's Plantation because we all like that course and it provides a pretty big challenge. So my question is this, what other 1-2 courses would you play (need 4 total)? We all like Tradition, but it can be a touch vanilla. We do not like Founders Club. We have never played the River Club, but it gets pretty decent reviews. I know most of you will be saying Caledonia or True Blue (which we haven't played), but none of us prefer to pay $150-$200 a round on this trip whenever there are so many great courses for $35-$60 and we like to take the extra savings and put in a pot for games. Any opinions welcome!

Mr. Wolfe

River Club is a solid course. Looks to be around $70.00 that time of year. 

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Stay away from Litchfield Country Club. Worst course I've played in the area. Indigo Creek is not far behind it on the "skip" list, unless you need a really cheap round or have beginners in your group.

TPC is always a great take, but might be pricier than you want to pay. I haven't gotten around to Blackmoor or Prestwick yet, but have heard great things about both.

A little further north, up near the airport, Arrowhead is always a good choice. Reasonable prices, fun layout, conditions are always top notch.

In that same area is World Tour Golf Links, one of my personal favorites. Replicas of 18 famous holes from around the world. Not perfect replicas, but not terrible, and it's a really fun layout.

If you want to take a bigger drive, and see scenery that rivals Caledonia (though the course won't) at a fraction of the cost, Oyster Bay just over the NC line is a solid choice.

Thanks for your insight guys. I should expand & explain my pricing. I use the PrimeTime card which makes the golf much cheaper. ($35-$60 per round) I don't mind paying $100 for a round of golf, but not interested at $150-$200 as that eats up the gambling money. lol I have never played TPC, but it would be $55 with the PrimeTime rate.

We will be staying at True Blue and typically stay pretty close to the Pawleys courses. The closer the better. We played WTG 2 years ago and I thought it was OK.

Mr. Wolfe

Edited by Mr_Wolfe

River Club, Willbrook, TPC, Blackmoor, Wachesaw East and International Club are all nice courses. 

• Like 1

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I can't fathom staying at True Blue (likely multiple times or at least in the area every year), seeing the course and never playing or having played True Blue and Caledonia. Please splurge one year and play both. They knock a little bit off the rate so it is $320 for the two of them during your time frame.

• Like 2

I second the recommendations to see about playing True Blue or Caledonia, but understand re: the high green fees. I definitely prefer River Club to Tradition (and Willbrook, for that matter).

Heck, you could always play Heritage a second time. With so many courses in the area it's understandable that groups tend to play as many different courses as possible for the sake of variety, but Heritage is as worthy of multiple plays in one trip as anywhere, IMO. Especially if you play it on consecutive days, you'll be guaranteed to get radically different looks at basically every hole because of changing hole locations.

I will never shy away from recommending Pawleys Plantation; it's been a home-away-from-home for a large part of my life and I love it there.

• Like 1

Senior Writer, GolfPass

PING G425 LST - KBS TD 60g Cat 4
Srixon Z F65 15 & 19
TM V-Steel 21
PXG 0311 ST (GEN 4) 4-W - Nippon Modus3 105X
Titleist Vokey SM8 52 & 58 (raw)
Evnroll ER5 (370g)

I'll add to the list of those who say splurge and play True Blue and Caledonia. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Click on a photo to see photo tours of the courses recommended above in this thread. These links are pretty much in the order that I like the courses. I like Founders more than some of the other posters above.

Caledonia Golf Club

Caledonia

True Blue Golf Course 2018

True Blue winter 2018

True Blue Golf Course 2011

True Blue March 2011

Heritage Golf Club

Heritage

TPC Myrtle Beach

TPC MB

Prestwick Golf Club

Prestwick

Pawleys Plantation

Pawleys Plantation

Willbrook Plantation Golf Course

Willbrook

Founders Club at Pawleys

Founders Club

River Club Golf Course

River Club

Litchfield Golf Club

Litchfield

Tradition Golf Club, Pawleys Island

Tradition

Blackmoor Golf Course

Blackmoor

Edited by sabram
correct typos
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tim_Gavrich said:

I second the recommendations to see about playing True Blue or Caledonia, but understand re: the high green fees. I definitely prefer River Club to Tradition (and Willbrook, for that matter).

Heck, you could always play Heritage a second time. With so many courses in the area it's understandable that groups tend to play as many different courses as possible for the sake of variety, but Heritage is as worthy of multiple plays in one trip as anywhere, IMO. Especially if you play it on consecutive days, you'll be guaranteed to get radically different looks at basically every hole because of changing hole locations.

I will never shy away from recommending Pawleys Plantation; it's been a home-away-from-home for a large part of my life and I love it there.

Tim, we typically do play Heritage twice. We pay $30-$35 to play there (depending weekend or weekday) and that's why it's hard to pay 5-6 times that amount for Cal or TB. One round at Cal costs as much as all of our golf over the trip.

Mr. Wolfe

Edited by Mr_Wolfe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

Tim, we typically do play Heritage twice. We pay $30-$35 to play there (depending weekend or weekday) and that's why it's hard to pay 5-6 times that amount for Cal or TB. One round at Cal costs as much as all of our golf over the trip.

Mr. Wolfe

You're doing it right, then!

It's a bit of a drive, but you might consider going up to Legends to play. The Doak-designed Heathland Course is my favorite, but I also like the Moorland (have not played Parkland since they messed with the Mike Strantz bunkering a couple years ago so I'm concerned that the next time I see it I'll be a bit sad/disappointed).

I'm not 100% sure but given Legends is owned/run by the same folks as Heritage, I assume whatever discount you're able to leverage via your uncle at Heritage would also work up at Legends?

• Like 1

Senior Writer, GolfPass

PING G425 LST - KBS TD 60g Cat 4
Srixon Z F65 15 & 19
TM V-Steel 21
PXG 0311 ST (GEN 4) 4-W - Nippon Modus3 105X
Titleist Vokey SM8 52 & 58 (raw)
Evnroll ER5 (370g)

27 minutes ago, Tim_Gavrich said:

You're doing it right, then!

It's a bit of a drive, but you might consider going up to Legends to play. The Doak-designed Heathland Course is my favorite, but I also like the Moorland (have not played Parkland since they messed with the Mike Strantz bunkering a couple years ago so I'm concerned that the next time I see it I'll be a bit sad/disappointed).

I'm not 100% sure but given Legends is owned/run by the same folks as Heritage, I assume whatever discount you're able to leverage via your uncle at Heritage would also work up at Legends?

Thank you - I will look into it.

Mr. Wolfe

Not sure how far you want to drive, but I would recommend Arrowhead near the airport (27 holes) great shape, tight & water are its defense. The Surf Club in North Myrtle is private but allows outside play. Its my favorite in M.B. superb conditions, great track, & they don't overseed so this time of year its all green. Have fun!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Callmechief said:

Not sure how far you want to drive, but I would recommend Arrowhead near the airport (27 holes) great shape, tight & water are its defense. The Surf Club in North Myrtle is private but allows outside play. Its my favorite in M.B. superb conditions, great track, & they don't overseed so this time of year its all green. Have fun!!

They don't overseed, and it's green? Do they paint it?

Your uncle must have a Passport to get that rate on Heritage, so it's a great deal, 
but peak season will have started on your dates, so a tee time could be hard to get 
on a popular course.      

Your Prime Times membership covers all the Founders courses, which includes 
River Club + TPC.   River Club is about as good as Willbrook, with WB generally 
getting higher compliments for the nicer trees and housing.    
TPC is premium, but if you get it with Prime Times, it's recommended.   

If you are willing to drive to central MB, MBN Kings North is one of my 
favorites and is a Prime Times course.         

5 hours ago, caniac6 said:

They don't overseed, and it's green? Do they paint it?

Surf can get away with not overseeding, because it doesn't get heavy public play
and I guess the members accept a brown winter course, to save $ and the hassle 
of CPO while the overseed grows in.   

If the winter isn't too bad, the bermuda can start greening up sooner, without 
fighting the overseed.    I don't know if the paint they course. 
Some courses paint/dye the greens, but overseed fairways.    

15 hours ago, ArtMBgolf said:

Your uncle must have a Passport to get that rate on Heritage, so it's a great deal, 
but peak season will have started on your dates, so a tee time could be hard to get 
on a popular course.      

Your Prime Times membership covers all the Founders courses, which includes 
River Club + TPC.   River Club is about as good as Willbrook, with WB generally 
getting higher compliments for the nicer trees and housing.    
TPC is premium, but if you get it with Prime Times, it's recommended.   

If you are willing to drive to central MB, MBN Kings North is one of my 
favorites and is a Prime Times course.         

Thanks for your input. Hopefully we don't have any trouble with tee times - we never have in the past. My uncle lives on the course and is a member there. Not sure if his price is special or just the member's price for guests. They do really like him there. They have just let me out a few times without paying when I was with him.

TPC is an option as I haven't played it in YEARS.

Mr. Wolfe

13 hours ago, JRSc said:

I would add Pawleys and River Club. Actually, I would play Pawleys twice. It’s the best semi private course in the neck. 

We are leaning towards:

Heritage

Willbrook

River Club

Pawley's Plantation

That would be right under $200 in golf or about 1 round at Caledonia.

Mr. Wolfe

Edited by Mr_Wolfe
  • Like 2

Wolfe that is a good lineup i would play it. 

• Like 1

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 3:43 PM, sheppy335 said:

Wolfe that is a good lineup i would play it. 

Looking forward to it Sheppy. I have played them all many times, except the River Club. I actually buy the PrimeTime membership each year as it makes the golf much cheaper. The initial cost is $250, but if you have a 4-some and divide in quarters, over 4 rounds, you save a minimum of $60 per guy. Each year after is $150 to renew and you earn free rounds. Really a no-brainer if you play down there at least once a year. I am down over the summer as well and will use it. You cannot beat these prices with the PrimeTime membership.

Mr. Wolfe

Screen Shot 2021-02-10 at 10.25.44 AM.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 12:50 PM, PeteNC said:

If you're staying at True Blue maybe they have a rate since you're staying there?  Not sure if they'll run any twilight type specials but that would be worth a check close to when you get down.   I wanna say I played Caledonia in the summer after 4pm for like $45 and had the place to myself.

I reached out to the condo owner on True Blue. She asked her husband and he told her that only the condo OWNER gets a golf discount. Oh well, I am happy with our lineup. I am down there a couple of times a year so it is only a matter of time before I play those 2 courses.

Mr. Wolfe

• 4 weeks later...

Leaving for Pawleys tomorrow and playing our first round Thursday. Just curious if anyone has played down there in the past week or two? Just wondering conditions or any courses we should avoid in the Pawley's area. We were thinking about removing the River Club from the list and adding TPC. Any thoughts?

Mr. Wolfe

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 12:03 PM, Mr_Wolfe said:

Leaving for Pawleys tomorrow and playing our first round Thursday. Just curious if anyone has played down there in the past week or two? Just wondering conditions or any courses we should avoid in the Pawley's area. We were thinking about removing the River Club from the list and adding TPC. Any thoughts?

Mr. Wolfe

TPC is definitely a better course than River Club.  RC is still worth a play though.  Has a great risk/reward par 5 finishing hole.

Edited by islesmb
  • Like 1

Not sure why but Ive played River Club about 10 times and never like it. Arrowhead is a great course, I love Grand Dunes but the greens seem to always be painted. Also a big fan of Long Bay, Kings North and Pine Lakes. Ill be heading down the same times as you from Wheeling WV have a great trip

Edited by Dannyboy44
  • Like 1

Prestwick doesn't seem to get mentioned very frequently.  While I haven't played in MB for close to 20 years that was a course I enjoyed especially their last 3 finishing holes.  Course always in good shape and the pace of play was always excellent as opposed to a course I enjoyed, Heritage, where the pace of play was always 4.5 to 5+ hours.  Apparently Prestwick does still exist.  Any thoughts about it?