Best Irons for a 9-11 Handicapper

kippjr23

Hey Guys,

I was just fitted for shafts for the first time ever into a Nippon 120X and now looking to buy some clubs.

Have looked at:

Srixon 5 and 7 Series

Mizuno JPX Forged 919/921

Callaway Apex Forged

Sub 70 699 Pro

Bridgestone CB

TM P790

I am leaning toward the Mizuno JPX Forged as I enjoyed hitting them and always wanted a set of Mizunos. Another on this list I really want to play is the Srixon 7 series, however, Iron Play is inconsistent and worried about the 7 series being too demanding.

Currently playing Ping IE1 and have liked them just want to upgrade. 

For those that have been in similar position, what did you go with and why? Hows your experience been? Open to all recommendations and reviews!

Edited by kippjr23

3 minutes ago, kippjr23 said:

Hey Guys,

I was just fitted for shafts for the first time ever into a Nippon 120X and now looking to buy some clubs.

Have looked at:

Srixon 5 and 7 Series

Mizuno JPX Forged 919/921

Callaway Apex Forged

Sub 70 699 Pro

Bridgestone CB

TM P790

I am leaning toward the Mizuno JPX Forged as I enjoyed hitting them and always wanted a set of Mizunos. However,

For those that have been in similar position, what did you go with and why? Hows your experience been? Open to all recommendations and reviews!

What are you looking to do and what are your constraints?

sub70 is great for the money... and their customer service is top notch... the 699 head feels great, but it’s more a players distance than a cavity back like the Bridgestone.

What have you hit and liked? Turf interaction is a huge part of finding the right club. What are you playing now? What do you like about it? 

• Like 1

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Don’t forget the New Level offerings! Very good quality if you don’t have to have an OEM product. 

The 902 are great, kinda Bridgestone-ey. They’re way underrated, in my opinion. 

PF-2 are new and already getting good reviews. 

Their customer service is great and the price for the 902 is fantastic.

• Like 4

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

Don't buy Mizuno unless you have hit them from actual turf.  Their clubs tend to have less bounce and camber than many other brands and can be a bit "diggy" for some swings.  Having said that, if your swing is compatible with their sole design, they are good clubs.

I own Srixon ZX7 and would not change one single thing about them.

I have no experience with any other club from your list.

• Like 1

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

28 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

What are you looking to do and what are your constraints?

sub70 is great for the money... and their customer service is top notch... the 699 head feels great, but it’s more a players distance than a cavity back like the Bridgestone.

What have you hit and liked? Turf interaction is a huge part of finding the right club. What are you playing now? What do you like about it? 

I like the turf interaction on my currently irons Ping Ie1, not concerned with distance.  

Something around the same forgiveness with good turf interaction would be ideal.

I also really like the Srixon 7 series but worried about the demands of them.

10 minutes ago, Aviador Naval said:

Don't buy Mizuno unless you have hit them from actual turf.  Their clubs tend to have less bounce and camber than many other brands and can be a bit "diggy" for some swings.  Having said that, if your swing is compatible with their sole design, they are good clubs.

I own Srixon ZX7 and would not change one single thing about them.

I have no experience with any other club from your list.

How demanding do you feel like ZX7 are? Im worried they may be too demanding for me.

Of the DTC options: the New Level 902, Sub 70 639CB, and Ben Hogan PTx Pro are good options for your handicap range. You may even combo with more demanding models at the short end - my brother plays a 639 CB/MB set as a 10 index and loves them. All have pros and cons and you can demo them at home for $20. Highly worthwhile to demo and plenty of reviews around this forum. Good luck!

Edited by RolandofGilead

D| Titleist 975D 9.5* DG S300

3W| Titleist 980F 15* DG S300

5W| Titleist 975F 18.5* DG S300

3-P| MacGregor Muirfield 20th DG X100

SW| Maltby TSW 56* DG X100

LW| Maltby TSW 60* DG S300

P| Ping Anser

Ball| Maxfli Tour S Yellow

25 minutes ago, kippjr23 said:

How demanding do you feel like ZX7 are? Im worried they may be too demanding for me.

You should pick a club that gives you confidence and only you can determine that.

That said, in my opinion, if you need more 'forgiveness' than that offered by the ZX7 it's probably time to pick a new hobby...  They are 714 AP2 like - it's really amazing.

The main difference is launch and spin.  If you can elevate the ZX7 properly and easily, you can handle them.  If you struggle to hit them high enough, ZX5 is a great choice as well.

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

Biggest question is how hard are you willing to practice / get better?  That’ll better dictate an iron set.  If your taking lessons get something you can grow into.  If your happy with your game find something forgiving that you’re comfortable hitting without having to hit 200 balls a week. 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

OP, I started a few years back a 10'ish. got down to a 5. Played P770's the whole time (and incorporated a lot of swing changes with my teach in pro).

To break 80 you likely are hitting at least 9 GIR but closer to 12 makes more sense to allow for a 3 putt or two, and an up and down or two. No bad numbers.

If you are a feel person, you should be looking for clubs with some feedback and that you like the look at (as noted, the i210 should be on the list, great sticks). 

The ZX5 is a great club, bit chunky to my eye but I don't need a narrow top line window to be happy (played P E2+ for years).

I would blend the Z's at the 5/6 and maybe 7 for help but look at ZX7 up top to score. Every other MFG has similar options if you prefer the extra help but sometimes its a bit on the mental side where you just have more confidence vs. actually lots of help (I've tested my clubs with a LM and loft for loft the numbers are not that different...but on course its confidence inspiring for me 🙂 )

Edited by bvanlieu
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, RacineBoxer said:

Us humans, consumers, are hard wired to want to buy the "best" with our hard earned dollars. It's something many of us have experience thinking through for decades. But you have the wrong question. There is no "best". I'm a 4 handicap and I'm playing the Ping G400 irons. I read on here all the time people telling 10-15 handicappers to get into more "players" type irons like the i210. I don't think that's a bad recommendation. I have the i210's and I don't play them because they spin too much for me (I didn't get fitted, I just got them with the same AWT stiff shafts I've been playing for years). But here's the thing, I'm a bit of a lowish ball hitter, with a lot of spin, so playing an iron that helps me hit it higher, with a smidge less spin, is exactly what I need. I rip my i210 9i back 3-4-5 paces and I hate that. I just want to hit the ball high and straight and then for it to stop pretty much where it lands.

As someone else above pointed out, getting your scores down is about practice, not buying new irons. Now... buying new irons is fun, I do it every 3-4 years not because I play better but I just enjoy playing with new gear. 

Buy gear that helps your weaknesses. Do you want to hit it higher or lower? More or less spin? Do you struggle with a slice? Do you hit a lot of fat shots and you play on soft conditions (like I do in Wisconsin)? Are you in Texas and play on hard, tight lies a lot? There is no "best" iron set for 9-11 handicappers.

Great points.  The choices available today can be overwhelming.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RacineBoxer said:

Buy gear that helps your weaknesses. Do you want to hit it higher or lower? More or less spin? Do you struggle with a slice? Do you hit a lot of fat shots and you play on soft conditions (like I do in Wisconsin)? Are you in Texas and play on hard, tight lies a lot? There is no "best" iron set for 9-11 handicappers.

This is the best advice... there is no perfect fit or solution, and no one size fits all... bob parsons was spending 350k a year on irons before founding pxg... they still release new irons! If a billionaire can’t buy the perfect set, we can’t either.

I’m playing adams cmbs because someone here was selling heads for $50 and I had always wanted to play them... ended up compromising on the shafts due to taper tips and cost... and, honestly, they are everything I dreamed they’d be... I was playing my best golf last season with them... but it was likely more practice than anything else.

that said, having a set of irons I loved helped me practice and made me more confident. 

@kippjr23i really like cavity back irons with weighting in the toe... I think it’s a nice compact design with plenty of forgiveness... they tend to feel good to me. I like the zx7s this season and the cobra mim techs... there are plenty of older iron models that will fit this bill... I’ve heard the srixon has awesome turf interaction, so they are probably worth a try. 

• Like 2

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I’m the same HC as the OP, and am looking at new irons as well. 

Ive hit the i210, ZX5/7, JPX 921F and T-100s. 

Not sure why but I’m the most constant with the smallest head (T-100s). Not sure what it is but that’s the club I can middle the best (all with the same shaft Lz 6.0. 

I was also worried about forgiveness and I asked the fitter which was better and he told me I could play either, but was more constant and my dispersion was tighter with the 7s.

10 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

that said, having a set of irons I loved helped me practice and made me more confident. 

This is all that matters imho. If that is blades, CB's SGI's or whatever, get what you like/love, what makes you want to play/practice more. 

Edited by Golf4lifer

1 minute ago, kepeollie said:

I’m the same HC as the OP, and am looking at new irons as well. 

Ive hit the i210, ZX5/7, JPX 921F and T-100s. 

Not sure why but I’m the most constant with the smallest head (T-100s). Not sure what it is but that’s the club I can middle the best (all with the same shaft Lz 6.0. 

I was also worried about forgiveness and I asked the fitter which was better and he told me I could play either, but was more constant and my dispersion was tighter with the 7s.

The 7’s as in the Srixons?

I’m a 10 hcp and just got fitted. Actually went to 2 different prominent fitters in the area plus a mizuno rep because my blind tests were pretty bizarre (at least IMO). I’d never hit a blade before and my center contact (for whatever reason) was the best by a mile. This was on several different blades. I spent way too much time haha. 

the finalists ended up being the taylor made p770’s, mizuno Mp-20 and mizuno 921 hot metal. I lost too much distance with the mp20, and had a little too much distance on the 770’s. Ended up going with a split bag of 4-8 hot metal and 9/pw Mp-20. The mizuno rep adjusted the lofts on the Mp-20’s so I am gapped correctly. T-20 wedges for G/S/L.

I wrapped up with a sim driver (better fit for me than sim2 or the new drivers), my trusty Calloway xr 3 wood I can’t seem to get rid of, sim max hybrid and a LAB putter. 

the biggest variable on the entire experience for me was the shaft and gapping ultimately being the most important. 

I'm always in the camp that the engine is the shaft so now you have that picked out the rest is more of a fine tuning.  If that shaft flexes right ,feels, right in your hands, etc your winning that battle.  So be confident in your next choiec.

I was kinda similar position as you. I'm a 4 handicap looking for new irons.  I really wanted some srixons and I had trouble hitting the 7 series from a year ago.  Too blady for me and punishing. The 5 series looked almost the same and pack some more forgiveness so I would look that route or an iron that has some ball speed across the face.   The 790's are very nice and solid option or something of the like and my playing partner hits these very nicely at a similar handicap as you.

I demo'd the 699 and ended up with the pro version and modus 120 stiff.  Great feel, good turf interaction as I'm more of a digger and these seem to be just right for that.  Love the modus by the way.   I would also lean to the srixon 5 series.  Why these two brands?  they are a little lighter on the wallet.  Those 790's can get $$$.  

Taylormade M6, 9.0* head set -1.5*, Nippon Regio B+ shaft, 65 stiff at 45.5"
Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
Sub 70 939x, 3H(18*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 939x, 4H(21*), Proforce V2 85 stiff
Sub 70 699 Pros, 5-AW, Modus 120 stiff
PING glide 2.0, 54*

Taylormade MG3, 58* HB 
Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34" (Testing Taylormade Bandon 1)
Bridgestone Tour BX (Alternate ball VICE PRO)

1 hour ago, kippjr23 said:

The 7’s as in the Srixons?

Yes, and when I talk about forgiveness I’m only talking between the Srixon 5/7s, as that day, those were the only two I hit. 

If I was you, I’d go hit the T-100s. To me they are ROCK solid...I’m thinking of picking up a 7 iron in my specs and trying out on the course as with most clubs hitting them off perfect lies...can give you a false sense. 

Great thread....

For what its worth, I went through this last yr. I was using 712 AP2 and was stuck at 9-10index. I got fit and liked the T100 the best. I tried Apex, Srix, Miz etc...Luckily I did not pull the trigger and the T100S was released. Obviously I was hoping the 2degree loft difference would add distance....It did.

Of the clubs mentioned the T100S had the best camber and turf interaction for me. There are still 'stronger' clubs but the feel of them is amazing. Yes the clubs are smaller than some...This helps me actually. I am down to 7 and improving. I have it paired with Project X LZ 6.0. This shaft, if it loads right for you is awesome...You'll know in 5 swings!

Good luck. Have fun. Be patient and as one guy said either hit off grass or find 'grass-like' turf.

I had Club Champion iron fitting session late last year and found some interesting things.

Ok iron game with 7i carrying 155 yards. Digger with quick tempo.

Mizuno JPX 921s

Had Hotmetal, Hotmetal pro and Forged were tried. 

I actually wanted Forged for its appearance looking down but wasn't sure about playability and how forgiving it can get.... It was a clear winner for me.

I gained about half to a full club length (during winter and wet month), very forgiving and I can easily hit around the trees where often I find my tee balls....

Forged can be easily played by mid handicapper.

Ping i210

As good as Mizuno 921 Forged if not better!

I didn't get it because I couldn't get the spin rate high enough on 4i and went too long!

But this could be a huge improvement for many mid handicappers.. your mileage may vary 

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

8 hours ago, bvanlieu said:

To break 80 you likely are hitting at least 9 GIR but closer to 12 makes more sense to allow for a 3 putt or two, and an up and down or two. No bad numbers.

PGA Tour average is 11.9 greens per round. If you are hitting 12 greens a round, you should be scratch...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jomatty said:

Should is an interesting concept in golf. I should be a better putter but that doesn’t make it so.

I’m in the same boat... working very hard this off season to be a better putter... hit 10 greens straight last summer and had 22 putts...

it wasn’t a fun round and I vowed never again. Got fit for a seemore and have been grinding the drills Cody gave me since January. The few holes I’ve played this season have shown a vast improvement in speed control. Fixing my tempo was a huge leap forward. 

hoping it leads to a drop in handicap (I’m a 6 and average 35 putts, with little variance... usually between 33 and 37 unless i chip in)

• Like 3

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58