Ping G425 irons

rbmercer

Not on the course yet, only driving range. And pretty cold too.

But my first impression is tight dispersion. My misses are (almost) only in starting direction (push or pull), not in curvature.

Coming from i20 it's almost unreal.

Looks and feel are a bit clunky. Feel is maybe not fair to judge with cold range balls. Can't wait for the season to start!

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym 10.5° Hzrdus Silver 50g stiff

Ping G400 SFT 3W 16° set to 15°

Ping G400 SFT 5W 19° set to 18°

Ping G400 SFT 7W 22° set to 21°

Ping G425 6-UW

Ping Glide Forged 54°

Ping Glide Forged 56°

Ping Glide Forged 58° bent to 60°

Scotty Cameron GOLO 5R

Agree with gatoreric...Just picked-up a set of G425's with the stock Alta graphite shafts and came from i210's with recoils.  Definitely more consistent for me and just plain fun to hit.  Love the feel in hand and my confidence in getting the ball to go at my target has increased and I am less worried about making perfect contact every swing.  These do look like the 210's at address and have got to be one of the best looking Ping irons...ever.  I have a feeling we will see a lot of better players game these this year...

• Like 4

G430MAX 10.5 GD Tour AD XC 5R

Gen6P 5W GD Tour AD XC 5R

Gen6XP 4H/5H/6H GD Tour AD HY 65R

P730 6-PW C-Taper 110R

SM9 52F/59T C-Taper 110R

SC Golo Heavy

I have played two rounds with mine. I have Project X LZ shafts. The head size is nice and more compact than previous Ping irons I have played. I wish they had slightly less offset. Coming from the Mizuno JPX 919 forged they feel a little hard at impact but I knew they would not feel soft like the Mizuno irons. They are very forgiving. I had two shots that I hit fat and I thought I would be way short but they found the front of the green. They are a little longer than my Mizuno's. I am going to have to get used to the feel and the sound but I really like them. I had a stretch of 14 holes where I had 13 pars and one birdie. I found that I didn't have to do much chipping because I was hitting a lot of greens. I believe they are the best Ping irons I have hit to date.

• Like 2

I'm curious what others have experienced as far as toe-side strikes?  Many online reviewers have commented favorably in that regard, and I'm always a little toe-side of center, so any added forgiveness would be a plus.  I'm currently playing Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal, and played Ping G25 before that, but G425s have my attention.

I'm a long time Ping G-series guy and recommend a soft ball of some sort since they help reduce the clanky noise on mishits.  If you use an "X" type ball you better flush every shot or you may not like the sound.

• Like 2

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

golftejas- My misses tend to be towards the toe. They are very forgiving in that regard. I would say the benefits are that they are very forgiving, very easy to hit and be accurate with, they are pretty long and I found they held the greens really well. I did not have any fliers in the two rounds I played with them. The only downsides would be the firm feel at impact if you are coming from a softer forged club and the sound. At first both of those two things bothered me but after playing with them twice I didn't really even think about it.

• Like 1

Question for the guys coming from i series irons. Are these a club longer distance wise ? Thinking of getting a set but not sure which iron I want to stop my set at.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

They may be a tiny bit longer but don't expect much loft for loft.  And speaking of loft, they are not the same.

I’m coming from the G400, AWT 2.0 shaft in both G400 and G425. Only hit the G425 indoor so far, but also hit the G400 indoor many times. Distance is real close. G425 dispersion is somewhat better. G425 has the tungsten screw, so my miss out on the toe is less punishing. Plus, the hydropearl finish on the G425 is better than the original as far as I can tell. I also played the i20s several years ago, actually one of my favorites during that time. The G425s are, to me, just slightly clickier, if that makes sense. But not something that’s off putting. 

• Like 2

Any lower handicap players hitting these....I am playing i-blades but looks like I will be playing with an injury for a while which will make it necessary for me to swing mostly upper body and was thinking maybe I should try out something like these.....Looking down at them, they look like they w0uld be very easy to hit.

12 hours ago, Nessism said:

They may be a tiny bit longer but don't expect much loft for loft.  And speaking of loft, they are not the same.

So when you're saying loft for loft the g425 6 iron at 26.5*  is going farther than my i200 6 at 29.5*. And the 425 7 iron at 30* is about a 1/2 club longer than my 7 at 33* loft.

Edited by CDLgolf

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

On 3/17/2021 at 1:56 PM, Nessism said:

I'm a long time Ping G-series guy and recommend a soft ball of some sort since they help reduce the clanky noise on mishits.  If you use an "X" type ball you better flush every shot or you may not like the sound.

Agreed, I love the Ping G irons also but would not call the most recent iterations the best feeling irons out there. And definitely agree you notice it more with the X type balls, even on well struck balls frankly

That being said, if you're hitting greens you stop caring pretty quick what it feels like 

• Like 4

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• 1 month later...

Recently tried a set of G425's and super forgiving just not that more forgiving for me than my I500's so will not be making the switch. 

Big Ping fan and I recommended a set (G425) to a frined of mine and he was fitted and ordered his set, he has waited over 10 weeks and still has not received his irons. 

Will not be recommending Ping equipment anymore until they fix their delivery problems. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10 w Alta 55

Ping G430 5 wood w Alta 65

Ping G425 7 wood w Slay 55

Ping G430 9 wood with Speeder EVO6

Ping G430 Hybrid w PX Red Smoke
Srixon ZX5 6-PW w Recoil 660

Vokey SM8 50.12 F Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey SM10 56.12 D Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey Wedgeworks 60.08 K Grind

Odyssey Jailbird

On 3/17/2021 at 11:21 AM, golftejas said:

I'm curious what others have experienced as far as toe-side strikes?  Many online reviewers have commented favorably in that regard, and I'm always a little toe-side of center, so any added forgiveness would be a plus.  I'm currently playing Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal, and played Ping G25 before that, but G425s have my attention.

These are very forgiving toe-side, much more than my older G25 irons. It's gotta be that screw. That's my miss as well, and the 425's beat the 25s in that regard. I've hit a couple during rounds that we almost past the grooves toe side and they didn't end up that bad all things considering

As some have said, the feel has gone backwards in my opinion. The 425 irons do not feel as good as the older models for whatever reason. They just feel harder to me on all shots, flushed and mishits both. 

That's the only negative for me. The profile on these are so nice, and I went retro loft on these to bend some of the offset out

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

On 3/9/2021 at 11:17 PM, chasdr said:

Agree with gatoreric...Just picked-up a set of G425's with the stock Alta graphite shafts and came from i210's with recoils.  Definitely more consistent for me and just plain fun to hit.  Love the feel in hand and my confidence in getting the ball to go at my target has increased and I am less worried about making perfect contact every swing.  These do look like the 210's at address and have got to be one of the best looking Ping irons...ever.  I have a feeling we will see a lot of better players game these this year...

You say you came from i210's with recoils.  Please tell me about your experience with them.

I play G410 irons but was able to demo a set of 425's, for me I just found my 410's to be more forgiving and distance very similar with a slight edge to the 425 set. The test was only three rounds but the results were consistent, I need the forgiveness so I will stay with the G410 set. JMHO

Callaway Paradym    12 degree 

Callaway XR               4+ wood

Callaway  XR              7    wood

Callaway GBB            20 degree hybrid

Callaway  B 21            5-AW

Callaway PM grind     54 & 58

2015 Scotty Cameron GoLo 5

Vice Pro Soft 

Golf Pride 2G white

On 3/17/2021 at 10:56 AM, Nessism said:

I presume you also played the G25s back when. How's the hardness & sound compared to the G25 heads (if you recall & played them)?

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

5 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

I presume you also played the G25s back when. How's the hardness & sound compared to the G25 heads (if you recall & played them)?

The G25's sound and feel a little better.

• Sad 1

Update: I now have 3 full rounds with the G425 irons.

First impression still holds, they perform great: straight, high and spins great.

I had a PW-mishit that went 7-8 yards right of the pin, and I thought to myself: that had missed with 15 yards with my old i210s...

Distance-wise, they are maybe slightly longer than my old i210s (comparing loft-to-loft). I can't say that I had any "rockets" going to far.

Still not completely used to look and feel, but it gets better all the time.

Edited by barnum1

Callaway Paradym 10.5° Hzrdus Silver 50g stiff

Ping G400 SFT 3W 16° set to 15°

Ping G400 SFT 5W 19° set to 18°

Ping G400 SFT 7W 22° set to 21°

Ping G425 6-UW

Ping Glide Forged 54°

Ping Glide Forged 56°

Ping Glide Forged 58° bent to 60°

Scotty Cameron GOLO 5R

1 hour ago, Nessism said:

The G25's sound and feel a little better.

Wow, didn't expect that response given how many years has passed since the G25s came out. I think the gain may be a smaller G head in the G425 (G25s were pretty chunky and wide span) and may be, just may be slightly more forgiveness?

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

The newer heads have thinned out faces in order to add a little spring effect for added distance.  It's this thin face that detracts from the feel and sound though.  

If you look at Maltby's head data you will see that the newer G's have a super high MOI, thus a high degree of off center strike forgiveness.  The newer clubs look really nice behind the ball too, although to a true G-man there is nothing wrong with a G25.  In fact, they have more of that characteristic "Ping" look than the newer clubs.  Either way, it's all good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got 7 rounds in with the 425 stock graphite and i could not be happier.  I'm not the best ball striker but i sure can tell the difference in the quality of my shots compared to my i210s.

• Like 2

PING G425 LST 10.5* HAZRDUS RDX BLUE
PING G425 MAX  3 5 9 woods Alta Slate 65
PING I525 5 thru 7 UST RECOIL
PING I59  8 thru PW UST RECOIL
PING TOUR 50* 54* 58* UST RECOIL
GUERIN Tour Spec GR3
TaylorMade TP5

On 3/19/2021 at 9:55 PM, wobgon said:

Any lower handicap players hitting these....I am playing i-blades but looks like I will be playing with an injury for a while which will make it necessary for me to swing mostly upper body and was thinking maybe I should try out something like these.....Looking down at them, they look like they w0uld be very easy to hit.

I will be hitting these .. have a set due here Tuesday.  Plus 1 handicap. played Apex Pro 19 last year, Mizuno MP 32s this year .  Was fit for a set of Apex Pro 21 and sent them back.. I didn't get along with them at all.  I've been wanting to try a real GI  iron for a long time now and figured what the heck.  If I don't like them you'll see them on the BST end of next week.🙂

• Like 2