• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

COVID-19 is delaying deliveries.  There are several long threads detailing out how this is affecting the golf industry as well as specific threads about Ping so I assume you missed that and didn't ale

Played them for 3-4 rounds and a good bit of range time too. I will say I am in love with these irons. Improved my game a ton. Hit 10 GIR and shot 78 last week. 1st sub 80 round in way too long. I was

Agree with gatoreric...Just picked-up a set of G425's with the stock Alta graphite shafts and came from i210's with recoils.  Definitely more consistent for me and just plain fun to hit.  Love the fee

Not on the course yet, only driving range. And pretty cold too.

But my first impression is tight dispersion. My misses are (almost) only in starting direction (push or pull), not in curvature.

Coming from i20 it's almost unreal.

Looks and feel are a bit clunky. Feel is maybe not fair to judge with cold range balls. Can't wait for the season to start!

• Like 2

Ping G400 SFT 10°

Ping G400 SFT 3W 16° set to 15°

Ping G400 SFT 5W 19° set to 18°

Ping G400 SFT 7W 22° set to 21°

Ping G425 6-UW

Ping Glide Forged 54°

Ping Gorge Tour 56°

Ping Glide 3.0 58°

Scotty Cameron GOLO 5R

Agree with gatoreric...Just picked-up a set of G425's with the stock Alta graphite shafts and came from i210's with recoils.  Definitely more consistent for me and just plain fun to hit.  Love the feel in hand and my confidence in getting the ball to go at my target has increased and I am less worried about making perfect contact every swing.  These do look like the 210's at address and have got to be one of the best looking Ping irons...ever.  I have a feeling we will see a lot of better players game these this year...

• Like 4

Ping G425 SFT Driver Alta CB 55

Mizuno ST-Z 3w/5w Evenflow Riptide

TM SM2 4h Ventus Blue

Ping i210 5-W SteelFiber i95

Edison 49* SteelFiber i95

Edison 53* KBS Tour 90

Sub 70 JB 60* KBS Tour 90

Scotty Cameron Fastback 5

Callaway Truvis

I have played two rounds with mine. I have Project X LZ shafts. The head size is nice and more compact than previous Ping irons I have played. I wish they had slightly less offset. Coming from the Mizuno JPX 919 forged they feel a little hard at impact but I knew they would not feel soft like the Mizuno irons. They are very forgiving. I had two shots that I hit fat and I thought I would be way short but they found the front of the green. They are a little longer than my Mizuno's. I am going to have to get used to the feel and the sound but I really like them. I had a stretch of 14 holes where I had 13 pars and one birdie. I found that I didn't have to do much chipping because I was hitting a lot of greens. I believe they are the best Ping irons I have hit to date.

• Like 2

I'm curious what others have experienced as far as toe-side strikes?  Many online reviewers have commented favorably in that regard, and I'm always a little toe-side of center, so any added forgiveness would be a plus.  I'm currently playing Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal, and played Ping G25 before that, but G425s have my attention.

I'm a long time Ping G-series guy and recommend a soft ball of some sort since they help reduce the clanky noise on mishits.  If you use an "X" type ball you better flush every shot or you may not like the sound.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

golftejas- My misses tend to be towards the toe. They are very forgiving in that regard. I would say the benefits are that they are very forgiving, very easy to hit and be accurate with, they are pretty long and I found they held the greens really well. I did not have any fliers in the two rounds I played with them. The only downsides would be the firm feel at impact if you are coming from a softer forged club and the sound. At first both of those two things bothered me but after playing with them twice I didn't really even think about it.

• Like 1

They may be a tiny bit longer but don't expect much loft for loft.  And speaking of loft, they are not the same.

I’m coming from the G400, AWT 2.0 shaft in both G400 and G425. Only hit the G425 indoor so far, but also hit the G400 indoor many times. Distance is real close. G425 dispersion is somewhat better. G425 has the tungsten screw, so my miss out on the toe is less punishing. Plus, the hydropearl finish on the G425 is better than the original as far as I can tell. I also played the i20s several years ago, actually one of my favorites during that time. The G425s are, to me, just slightly clickier, if that makes sense. But not something that’s off putting. 

• Like 2

Any lower handicap players hitting these....I am playing i-blades but looks like I will be playing with an injury for a while which will make it necessary for me to swing mostly upper body and was thinking maybe I should try out something like these.....Looking down at them, they look like they w0uld be very easy to hit.

12 hours ago, Nessism said:

They may be a tiny bit longer but don't expect much loft for loft.  And speaking of loft, they are not the same.

So when you're saying loft for loft the g425 6 iron at 26.5*  is going farther than my i200 6 at 29.5*. And the 425 7 iron at 30* is about a 1/2 club longer than my 7 at 33* loft.

Edited by CDLgolf

Cobra F8
Cobra F8 15.5*
Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
Ping i200 6- uw
Ping Glide 3.0  54 & 60
Toulon Atlanta

On 3/17/2021 at 1:56 PM, Nessism said:

I'm a long time Ping G-series guy and recommend a soft ball of some sort since they help reduce the clanky noise on mishits.  If you use an "X" type ball you better flush every shot or you may not like the sound.

Agreed, I love the Ping G irons also but would not call the most recent iterations the best feeling irons out there. And definitely agree you notice it more with the X type balls, even on well struck balls frankly

That being said, if you're hitting greens you stop caring pretty quick what it feels like 

• Like 3

Cobra Radspeed XB tour length 9 w/ PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black 80
Cobra F9 Tour 13.5 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 70
Titleist TS3 Hybrid 20 w/ PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Cobra King Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 wedges w/ Modus 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

• 1 month later...

Recently tried a set of G425's and super forgiving just not that more forgiving for me than my I500's so will not be making the switch. 

Big Ping fan and I recommended a set (G425) to a frined of mine and he was fitted and ordered his set, he has waited over 10 weeks and still has not received his irons. 

Will not be recommending Ping equipment anymore until they fix their delivery problems. 

Ping G410 Plus EvenFlow Red
Ping G410 5 wood  w 3wood ALTA CB 65
Ping G410 7 wood  w 5wood ALTA CB 65
Titleist TSi3 4 hybrid w Kuro Kage Black 55 
Srixon ZX5 5-PW w Recoil 95's
Vokey SM8 50.12 F Grind 
Vokey SM8 56.12 D Grind
Vokey SM8 60.08 M Grind DG S200

PXG One & Done

Titleist Left Dash Pro V1x

On 3/17/2021 at 11:21 AM, golftejas said:

I'm curious what others have experienced as far as toe-side strikes?  Many online reviewers have commented favorably in that regard, and I'm always a little toe-side of center, so any added forgiveness would be a plus.  I'm currently playing Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal, and played Ping G25 before that, but G425s have my attention.

These are very forgiving toe-side, much more than my older G25 irons. It's gotta be that screw. That's my miss as well, and the 425's beat the 25s in that regard. I've hit a couple during rounds that we almost past the grooves toe side and they didn't end up that bad all things considering

As some have said, the feel has gone backwards in my opinion. The 425 irons do not feel as good as the older models for whatever reason. They just feel harder to me on all shots, flushed and mishits both. 

That's the only negative for me. The profile on these are so nice, and I went retro loft on these to bend some of the offset out

PING G410 LST 10.5* - Tensei AV RAW White 65TX

Callaway BB 816 Alpha 16* - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Callaway Epic Flash 18* - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 8X

PING G410 22* - Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X

PING G25 5-SW - Project X PXI 6.0

Callaway MD5 Raw X Grind 60* - DG 115 S200

PING Nome TR

On 3/9/2021 at 11:17 PM, chasdr said:

Agree with gatoreric...Just picked-up a set of G425's with the stock Alta graphite shafts and came from i210's with recoils.  Definitely more consistent for me and just plain fun to hit.  Love the feel in hand and my confidence in getting the ball to go at my target has increased and I am less worried about making perfect contact every swing.  These do look like the 210's at address and have got to be one of the best looking Ping irons...ever.  I have a feeling we will see a lot of better players game these this year...

You say you came from i210's with recoils.  Please tell me about your experience with them.

On 3/17/2021 at 10:56 AM, Nessism said:

I presume you also played the G25s back when. How's the hardness & sound compared to the G25 heads (if you recall & played them)?

Callaway Epic Max LS, Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6-S, Top Golf All-Fit adapter
Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft

Taylormade M4 HL 16.5* 3 wood with UST Elements Chrome 7F4
Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid

Taylormade 2018 P790 4-PW Dynamic Gold 105 S300
Cleveland CBX2 48* wedge & Cleveland FullFace 56* wedge with Catalyst 100 shafts
Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with BGT Stability shaft
#1 Callaway Chromesoft X LS, #2 Srixon XV 5/6

Moe Norman/Graves One Plane swing

5 hours ago, SwingBlues said:

I presume you also played the G25s back when. How's the hardness & sound compared to the G25 heads (if you recall & played them)?

The G25's sound and feel a little better.

Update: I now have 3 full rounds with the G425 irons.

First impression still holds, they perform great: straight, high and spins great.

I had a PW-mishit that went 7-8 yards right of the pin, and I thought to myself: that had missed with 15 yards with my old i210s...

Distance-wise, they are maybe slightly longer than my old i210s (comparing loft-to-loft). I can't say that I had any "rockets" going to far.

Still not completely used to look and feel, but it gets better all the time.

Edited by barnum1

Ping G400 SFT 10°

Ping G400 SFT 3W 16° set to 15°

Ping G400 SFT 5W 19° set to 18°

Ping G400 SFT 7W 22° set to 21°

Ping G425 6-UW

Ping Glide Forged 54°

Ping Gorge Tour 56°

Ping Glide 3.0 58°

Scotty Cameron GOLO 5R

1 hour ago, Nessism said:

The G25's sound and feel a little better.

Wow, didn't expect that response given how many years has passed since the G25s came out. I think the gain may be a smaller G head in the G425 (G25s were pretty chunky and wide span) and may be, just may be slightly more forgiveness?

Callaway Epic Max LS, Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6-S, Top Golf All-Fit adapter
Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft

Taylormade M4 HL 16.5* 3 wood with UST Elements Chrome 7F4
Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid

Taylormade 2018 P790 4-PW Dynamic Gold 105 S300
Cleveland CBX2 48* wedge & Cleveland FullFace 56* wedge with Catalyst 100 shafts
Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with BGT Stability shaft
#1 Callaway Chromesoft X LS, #2 Srixon XV 5/6

Moe Norman/Graves One Plane swing

The newer heads have thinned out faces in order to add a little spring effect for added distance.  It's this thin face that detracts from the feel and sound though.  

If you look at Maltby's head data you will see that the newer G's have a super high MOI, thus a high degree of off center strike forgiveness.  The newer clubs look really nice behind the ball too, although to a true G-man there is nothing wrong with a G25.  In fact, they have more of that characteristic "Ping" look than the newer clubs.  Either way, it's all good.

• Thanks 1

Got 7 rounds in with the 425 stock graphite and i could not be happier.  I'm not the best ball striker but i sure can tell the difference in the quality of my shots compared to my i210s.

• Like 2

PING G425 MAX 10.5* Alta Slate 55
PING G425 MAX  3 5 9 woods Alta Slate 65
PING G425 26* 5 hybrid Alta Slate 70
PING G425 6-UW Alta AWT graphite
PING Glide EYE 2 3.0  54*& 58*  ZZ115
GUERIN Tour Spec GR3
TaylorMade TP5

On 3/19/2021 at 9:55 PM, wobgon said:

Any lower handicap players hitting these....I am playing i-blades but looks like I will be playing with an injury for a while which will make it necessary for me to swing mostly upper body and was thinking maybe I should try out something like these.....Looking down at them, they look like they w0uld be very easy to hit.

I will be hitting these .. have a set due here Tuesday.  Plus 1 handicap. played Apex Pro 19 last year, Mizuno MP 32s this year .  Was fit for a set of Apex Pro 21 and sent them back.. I didn't get along with them at all.  I've been wanting to try a real GI  iron for a long time now and figured what the heck.  If I don't like them you'll see them on the BST end of next week.🙂

• Like 2