2021 US Women's Open, June 3-6

18majors

8 minutes ago, PZero said:

Give her a break. Who cares about talking to the media? They're a bunch of hacks that ask garbage questions 9 out of 10 times.

I agree, the media can be brutal. But she doesn't seem to mind when they're fawning over her and making her a superstar. And without the media - and the connection they make between her and her fans - she doesn't make a very good living playing golf. When you're a pro athlete, you've got to take the good with the bad when it comes to media.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

On the PGA this would be deemed a caddy error for not reading the conditions properly.

6 minutes ago, Cwebb said:

Right.  The conditions were not judged properly and the shot selection came up way short.  Not close.  At least a full club short

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

No one will remember who was in the role of Paul Lawrie. This USWO will always be Thompson's van de Velde collapse, only played out over several holes, not just the 18th. That was painful to watch, worse when you could see it coming the last few holes...nothing much to say beyond epic choke job.

Cobra Aerojet 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"
Emeritus set:  Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R 

4 minutes ago, tatertot said:

I agree, the media can be brutal. But she doesn't seem to mind when they're fawning over her and making her a superstar. And without the media - and the connection they make between her and her fans - she doesn't make a very good living playing golf. When you're a pro athlete, you've got to take the good with the bad when it comes to media.

She's always been great with the media and fans after a bad loss.

It's understandable that she doesn't want to talk to anyone right now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tatertot said:

Lexi did eventually do an interview later on...she just needed some time to gather herself

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, 18majors said:

@Supermilo

Are your ready for this?  Yuka will jump over Patty Tavatanakit to become the highest ranked Southeaster Asian on Rolex Ranking.

She'll kick Patty out of Top-10 and will be either #7 or #8 when the next ranking comes out.

Of course I'm rooting for hometown girl... even if she's only 1/2 blood Philippines... It'll do for now ☺︎  #flytheRPflag 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quasimoto said:

On the PGA this would be deemed a caddy error for not reading the conditions properly.

I really think that players need to take ownership of their shot selection and club choice.  What about when they played in school with no caddy?  Did they have no idea what shot and club to hit then?

One of the young players who does this so well, is Patty Tav.  She owns her game and shot selection out there

18 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I would not be surprised to see Yuka head off the States, but I would be a little surprised to see Hinako Shibuno go. A little, not a lot.

Yuka's already got the language skills, the experience of living in different countries (I think she was born in the Philippines, spent some years in Japan in elementary and Junior high school, before returning to the Philippines).

We've seen a few Japanese players struggle when they go to the States (Ueda Momoko, Arimura Chie spring to mind), and I don't just mean on the golf course. Yuka already has an advantage there.

Plus, the father may be Japanese, but he's obviously spent many years outside Japan in the Philippines; maybe he's already thinking on a global scale about her future?

yes he has... from long time ago ☺︎  Dropped U of Georgia for the pros... 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Golf Dino said:

Wrong club only in the sense that the wind higher up caught the ball.  It did the exact same thing to Nasa Hataoka when she was in the same spot ... though Nasa was in a thick rough on the edge of the bunker.   Lexi was in the bunker.   It was hard to know how much wind was up there.

But the other players were getting to the green. . Shen Shen was about a half club short on 17, but I don’t remember any of the other contenders misjudging that badly. 

At the end of the day, it was bad golf that lost this tournament.  This is an individual sport.  Nobody to blame, but yourself.

Don't even think about blaming your caddie.  Next tournament come out and you pick the shot and club on every single stroke.  Tell him what you're doing, don't ask him what you should do

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I would not be surprised to see Yuka head off the States, but I would be a little surprised to see Hinako Shibuno go. A little, not a lot.

I believe the Smiling Cinderella has already stated she intends to register for Q-Series.

Yes...she a BIG fish in a SMALL pond.....but I think she wants to at least swim in a BIGGER pond to test it out...she's been asking for and granted quite a few LPGA invites so far.

I for one...would like to watch Shibuno play one day...she's a GREAT breathe of fresh air....it's hard not to like the gal.

• Like 3

I just started reading comments 

about a page and a half. Did others get the golf cut off by nbc in the playoff?  I taped it and after the second playoff hole it switched to an ED infomercial. I had to go online to see the results.

As for Lexi she has never been the same to me since the marking incident at the ANA. From past events at Olympic it appears you don’t want the lead starting the back nine on Sunday.

Lexi  is still a work in progress mentally but this back nine will be a setback I am afraid.

• Like 1

@18majors knows my dream final pairing (or in this case last 3 players if we wanna do US Open format LOL)-- Bianca, Hinako and Yuka -- 100% filipino, 100% japanese = 50/50 Filipino Japanese in the end... 2 have majors now!  i definitely need to ask who the hell is this Bianca Pagdanganan for KPMG! ☺︎    

Either way, if Yuka goes to LPGA, Filipino galleries will be aplenty across North America LOL...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, munichop said:

As for Lexi she has never been the same to me since the marking incident at the ANA. From past events at Olympic it appears you don’t want the lead starting the back nine on Sunday.

Lexi  is still a work in progress mentally but this back nine will be a setback I am afraid.

I think Lexi along with other LPGA pros like Ariya, Minjee and many Koreans (In Gee, So Yeon Ryu, Amy Yang, etc)....don't have that really tough mental tough attitude like Danielle Kang, Cristie Kerr where they want to step on your throat to win.

All those pros have great talent...but talent isn't enough to win more trophies....IMO...ya gotta have a bit of mean spirit to win more and close it out.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

Is this reliable???? (though I never doubted - as per my posts earlier) -- what I am not sure is what I heard from GC since I don't think she'll reveal THAT EARLY...

A bit surprised she didn't know this....I think she's been groomed for the LPGA for quite some time.

Not sure if this is the OFFICIAL part....would she not have to sign some documents to make it official...maybe she did it off camera with the last hour or 2 with an officer/official from the LPGA staff.

1 minute ago, KBong said:

A bit surprised she didn't know this....I think she's been groomed for the LPGA for quite some time.

Not sure if this is the OFFICIAL part....would she not have to sign some documents to make it official...maybe she did it off camera with the last hour or 2 with an officer/official from the LPGA staff.

Am not surprised Yuka didn't know this... @18majors knows we don't know much about these things - hence I ask if LPGA media is accurate in tweeting...  Case in point: Bianca didn't know she made US Open  in 2020 after T9 in KPMG... 

22 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

Of course I'm rooting for hometown girl... even if she's only 1/2 blood Philippines... It'll do for now ☺︎  #flytheRPflag 

Yuka Saso's interview = got questions from both Philippines media and Japanese ... maybe both sides with identify with her (i.e. not a "choose a side" debate)... but i got the feeling from the interview, that she's representing the Philippines at the Olympics?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Supermilo said:

Am not surprised Yuka didn't know this... @18majors knows we don't know much about these things - hence I ask if LPGA media is accurate in tweeting...  Case in point: Bianca didn't know she made US Open  in 2020 after T9 in KPMG... 

Ok...fair enough...some of the gals don't know some things...many struggle to provide a WITB w/o help from their OEM rep.

Obvious, the LPGA gals are not GEAR HEADS like many of us on WRX.

1 minute ago, KBong said:

I look forward to watching Saso on the LPGA.

The other pro I'm looking forward to when the time comes when and if she qualifies.... is the Thai gal....Attahaya Thitkul...who nearly won the Honda event in Thailand....she also would have been granted LPGA membership if she won..

It'll be a "chummy reunion" for those gals when Jenn, Yuka, Bianca are in the LPGA... It'll be Asian games all over again...  (I wont mention why but Patty will not be in that reunion)... 

2 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

Yuka Saso's interview = got questions from both Philippines media and Japanese ... maybe both sides with identify with her (i.e. not a "choose a side" debate)... but i got the feeling from the interview, that she's representing the Philippines at the Olympics?

10000000000000% Team Pilipinas...