3w vs. 18-ish degree Hybrid

highandright

So my current setup is 3w (15* Ping G25), which I have an ok relationship with. I almost exclusively use it off the tee, as I've never had reliable results with any FW off the deck. The problem is, off the tee I tend to hit it too high a fair amount of time, and lose out on rollout. 

Getting to the question- I have a 20* hybrid that I carry about 200yd, whilst my 3w can carry 215yd on a good hit, but more like 200yd on the frequent high ball. Has anyone tried replacing a 3w with a 2-3 hybrid, say in the 18* range? My thought is that maybe I lose a tiny bit of carry, but gain some roll. Also, I feel generally more comfortable with a shorter/smaller hybrid off the deck than a 3w.  

Bonus question- Anyone with experience with the Sub 70 hybrids? The price on those is really intriguing for an experiment like this. 

• Like 2

A couple of years back, I played with a young assistant pro from another course. Our course was hosting the Player Ability Test for PGA certification later that month.

He carried a 2H and a 4H, and no fairway wood. On two of our shorter par 5 holes, he had more than enough distance with the hybrids to get home in two. He said fairway woods had always been a problem for him, and he didn't feel he lost anything by not carrying one.

As for you, you don't have nearly the distance of that assistant pro. As far as a fairway wood off the deck, you might try a 4W. A little extra loft would help launch and a slightly shorter shaft would help control. The average golfer hits a 4W more reliably - and sometimes just as long - as a 3W. As for hitting a FW too high off of tees, this might be a set-up problem.

Also, I'm wondering what you want out of a fairway wood hit off the tee. Most people value positioning over a lot of rollout.

To resolve your problem, a fairway wood lesson plus data from a fitting would really help.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

5 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

A couple of years back, I played with a young assistant pro from another course. Our course was hosting the Player Ability Test for PGA certification later that month.

He carried a 2H and a 4H, and no fairway wood. On two of our shorter par 5 holes, he had more than enough distance with the hybrids to get home in two. He said fairway woods had always been a problem for him, and he didn't feel he lost anything by not carrying one.

As for you, you don't have nearly the distance of that assistant pro. As far as a fairway wood off the deck, you might try a 4W. A little extra loft would help launch and a slightly shorter shaft would help control. The average golfer hits a 4W more reliably - and sometimes just as long - as a 3W. As for hitting a FW too high off of tees, this might be a set-up problem.

Also, I'm wondering what you want out of a fairway wood hit off the tee. Most people value positioning over a lot of rollout.

To resolve your problem, a fairway wood lesson plus data from a fitting would really help.

Thanks, I appreciate your input. I hadn't really considered a 4w as an option. I guess in terms of "what I want out of" a fw wood, right now it's mostly for tee shots that either don't need driver length, or are perhaps an overly tight drive where I feel less likely to lose it if the driver is wayward that day. I would like the ability to rely on it out of the fairway too, to get a little more out of par 5's, but I just have zero confidence with it off the deck- my guess is that has more to do with the shaft length than the loft (launch is fine off the deck on good strikes).

I'll also play around with setup with my 3w, perhaps my ball position is creeping around a bit.

I carry a 3W and a 2H.  My hybrid carries about 220 yards and the 3W about 240 yards.  The 2H is definitely easier to hit for me, both off the deck and off a tee.  I'm currently on the look out for a 915 4H to match my 2H, as I've had such good luck with it. 

So, I would say that it will not replace the length you could get from the 3W.  But, it may net you more yardage than you're currently able to get out of your 3W.  Maybe 215-225 carry. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Club champ at my club didn't carry any fairway woods. He went Driver, 2H, 3H, 4i and down.

If he was loose with the driver he'd smash that 2H like a boss (probably hit it about 250-260). It was still longer than most of the guys using driver... LOL.

I bought a 2H to give it a try (because of him) and carried it for a year, but wound up preferring a 3W off the tee because I found it easier to hit a draw with a 3W.

-ZA

• Like 1

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

I don't carry a 3 wood.  2h and 4h get the job done most of the time and for ME, are easier to hit almost every time.  If I am playing the proper tees, take ego out of play and know my layup #'s, it's rare that a 3W could help me.  And the 2h off a tee is almost always a better play than the 3W ever was.  For ME.  

• Like 2

Titleist 913d3 with a graphite shaft
Titleist 913fd with a 3w shaft
Titleist 910h19 degree with some shaft appropriate to it's use
Titleist Ap2 4-PW with metal shafts
Titleist 52, 56 and 60 wedges w/ shorter metal shafts
Never Compromise TDP 5.2 Putter or a TDP4.2 Putter or a GoLo Putter with a putter shaft

Just working through this same debate. 

I ended up shelving my 15 degree 3 wood for a 17 degree hybrid adjusted down to 16. Lose maybe 10-15 yards compared to the 3 wood but am way more consistent and have the confidence to take it off the deck if ever needed. 

Pick whatever one shrinks the misses the most for you. 

• Like 1

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snake bite and furthermore, always carry a small snake. 

1 hour ago, highandright said:

So my current setup is 3w (15* Ping G25), which I have an ok relationship with. I almost exclusively use it off the tee, as I've never had reliable results with any FW off the deck. The problem is, off the tee I tend to hit it too high a fair amount of time, and lose out on rollout. 

Getting to the question- I have a 20* hybrid that I carry about 200yd, whilst my 3w can carry 215yd on a good hit, but more like 200yd on the frequent high ball. Has anyone tried replacing a 3w with a 2-3 hybrid, say in the 18* range? My thought is that maybe I lose a tiny bit of carry, but gain some roll. Also, I feel generally more comfortable with a shorter/smaller hybrid off the deck than a 3w.  

Bonus question- Anyone with experience with the Sub 70 hybrids? The price on those is really intriguing for an experiment like this. 

I'm usually not one to blame the equipment, but the above statement makes me think the issue has more to do with the club head or shaft than the fact that it's a fairway wood vs a hybrid. There should definitely be more than a 15 yard difference between those two clubs when hitting off a tee.

That being said, if you aren't comfortable at all using a fairway wood then why are you still using it? It sounds like you prefer hybrids so go ahead and get one. I'd say you should go with a 16* (or 17* max loft) hybrid to compliment your 20* one. If you go with an 18* I don't really see you getting more than a few yards of extra distance. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Abh159 said:

I'm usually not one to blame the equipment, but the above statement makes me think the issue has more to do with the club head or shaft than the fact that it's a fairway wood vs a hybrid. There should definitely be more than a 15 yard difference between those two clubs when hitting off a tee.

That being said, if you aren't comfortable at all using a fairway wood then why are you still using it? It sounds like you prefer hybrids so go ahead and get one. I'd say you should go with a 16* (or 17* max loft) hybrid to compliment your 20* one. If you go with an 18* I don't really see you getting more than a few yards of extra distance. 

Thanks for the input. Fair point about the loft suggestion, I'll look around in the 16* degree range.

Just had this conversation with my father. He opted out of his 3w and replaced it with a 17* hybrid.  The best part, he made the 17* hybrid close to the length of his 3w (maybe an inch shorter).  He says he hits it amazing!  Maybe a little less carry distance but I would say he's not missing anything.  His flight with a 3w was way too low so it would only go so far.

Current WITB

Driver: Titleist TSR3 (9 degrees) - Shaft: Fujikura Ventus TR Black Patriot 6X (45")

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim Ti Tour Issue (15.4 @ 14.7) - Shaft: GD Tour AD XC-8 (43")

2 Utility: Srixon ZX Utility MKII (18 degrees) - Shaft: Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX (40")

Irons: Miura TC-201 (4-PW) - Shaft: Nippon Modus3 120TX

Wedges: Miura Forged Wedges (50, 56), Vokey Wedgeworks SM9 (60) - Shafts: Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge

Putter: LAB Mezz.1 (35 inches/69 degrees)

Grips: Golf Pride MCC Midsize 

Putter Grip: Press II 1.5

My .02 would be to echo the 4w comment above.  I gamed a 4w all through HS and college, only in the past few years have I became proficient with a 3w (to the point it's one of the best clubs in my bag).

I experimented with Driver, 17, 19, 21 degree hybrids (Titleist 816H2s, with the 17 turned down to 15.5).  For me personally, I have better luck with a 3w than a low hybrid cranked down.  Perhaps in a more forgiving hybrid I might have gotten better results, but for me, anything less than 18 degrees and I want a fairway wood, not a hybrid.  Even the least forgiving modern 3 or 4 wood is more forgiving than the majority of the most forgiving hybrids.  Of course, some peoples swing planes get along better with fairway woods, and some get along better with hybrids, but generally as a rule of thumb I don't see hybrids and fairways as interchangeable until roughly 20 degrees.  

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

I'm a bit surprised that you have issues hitting a G25 3wd off the deck.  That makes me think either shaft issue or swing issue as that head isn't hard to elevate.

I wouldn't think that an 18* hybrid would bring enough difference to create a gap more than what you have now.  Any lower and you might not have the SS to keep it in the air.

A Revolving Door

2 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

I'm a bit surprised that you have issues hitting a G25 3wd off the deck.  That makes me think either shaft issue or swing issue as that head isn't hard to elevate.

I wouldn't think that an 18* hybrid would bring enough difference to create a gap more than what you have now.  Any lower and you might not have the SS to keep it in the air.

The issues off the deck are not about getting it elevated. It's moreso just consistency of strike. It's probably as much mental as anything at this point.

5 hours ago, Clark_Griswold said:

I don't carry a 3 wood.  2h and 4h get the job done most of the time and for ME, are easier to hit almost every time.  If I am playing the proper tees, take ego out of play and know my layup #'s, it's rare that a 3W could help me.  And the 2h off a tee is almost always a better play than the 3W ever was.  For ME.  

^^^ My sentiments exactly.

Though every season I feel I "may" be leaving some "easy yardage" on the table on the Par 5's and re-investigate 4 or 5 woods, only to realize my failure with such clubs, then back to my trusty 2H / 4H combo.

• Like 2

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

I am going through this transition now. Always struggled with 3wd off the deck. Went through 5 3wds and multiple shafts. Never found a combo that worked well off the tee and fwy. Tried a 5wd for a bit and loved it from the fwy, but it went way to high. 

Working through some shafts to find the right combo for a 17d hy. This thing is great from tee and i have lots of confidence from the fwy. Once i get it dialed in i am planning to get a 20d or 21d hy.

Dr, 17h, 20/21h, 4i

7 hours ago, highandright said:

Love my sub70 hybrid... I have the 19 degree... it’s great.

I carry a 13 degree three wood but never hit it.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

8 hours ago, highandright said:

Like everyone else, this is a debate about use. For some, fairway woods are easy to hit. For a multitude of reasons, others have a hard time off the deck.

So if you need to cut down to one, you're between a 16/17º hybrid, or a 5 wood. You answer your own question with your ease at hitting a hybrid, so that's what you should have. Whether it's a replacement for your 3-wood at the tee block is a question you'll have to answer. I think most would tell you that given your 215 out of your 3w, you won't lose much of anything with a move to a 2h.

Where I think you'll succeed or fail is in the shaft. In a 2h, you can get a lot of different things. It's still technically an "iron replacement", so some shafts will send you high, spinny, and stop your ball. Others will give you low, accurate runners that will advance the ball very well.

I carry a 2 and a 3 hybrid, and they have different shafts, different flights, and different purposes. The two of them cover so many options, it's very helpful. I'd advise you to test out some hybrids, but have an idea of how you want the ball to fly, both off the ground and off a tee (if you're dropping your 3w). Your 20º hybrid clearly serves you well, but you don't automatically want a "clone" in a lower head. Maybe you'll end up with the same combo, but don't assume that's better.

I'll be switching my 2 to a Ping 425, as the spin off the bottom half of the face is excellent, and exactly what I want in something off grass. My 3h goes a mile high with a tensei, and lands softly. Your mileage may vary, but get that ball flight you want!

• Like 1

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg 410LST 9º (TourX) RogueST 3D (ADDI 6X) [OMG what?], 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

3 hours ago, highandright said:

The (3W) issues off the deck are not about getting it elevated. It's moreso just consistency of strike. It's probably as much mental as anything at this point.

Strike consistency? You might try this before you spend a lot of $$. Put an impact decal on the face of your 3W. Hit 10 shots and see where the impacts fall. If impact points are all over the face, possibly the shaft is too long. (This is a basic check suggested by the GolfWorks schools.) 

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

13 hours ago, karstens_ghost said:

I carry a 2 and a 3 hybrid, and they have different shafts, different flights, and different purposes. The two of them cover so many options, it's very helpful. 

My 23* is for a specific yardage and shafted for higher ball flight, softer landing.

My 19* is for max yardage and shafted for a lower penetrating flight

• Thanks 1

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

I'm a big fan of hybrids over woods, easier to hit consistently and get up in the air. I use to be able to hit my 3w off the tee well when I wasn't comfortable with my driver, but now that my driver swing is consistent I maybe have used it on a handful of par 5s per year now. But if I dial in on my 3H, I can hit it almost as far and I'm far more confident that I'll get a more consistent contact and thus distance and accuracy. It really depends on the person I feel. I still carry my 3w in the bag, but rarely use it.

Cant believe nobody has mention this yet.

Callaway Super Hybrid!!!!!!

There is a pretty good thread about it.

I like so many in this chain have fiddled endlessly with 3/4 woods with different shafts. For me I just wasn't consistent. Either off the tee or fairway I would have the occasional bad shot.

Picked of Cally 2 Super Hybrid and it has worked out well.

Stock Tensei Orange shaft at 17 degrees.

Cant say I am giving much up in yardage because I just make better contact than I do with the fairway woods. I do use Ping G 410 3 and 4 also.

The face is super hot and it has lower spin than my other hybrids. But it launches the ball pretty well so it can be played into greens.

I really like it off the tee. Somebody on the other thread remarked that since it is bigger than other hybrid but smaller than the larger modern fairway woods that the super hybrid is about the size of fairway woods from 20 years ago.

I really do treat it like a fairway wood though as fair as lie is concerned. Great off of fairway and second cut, go to my other hybrids out of rough. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, fj_magni said:

Cant believe nobody has mention this yet.

Callaway Super Hybrid!!!!!!

There is a pretty good thread about it.

I like so many in this chain have fiddled endlessly with 3/4 woods with different shafts. For me I just wasn't consistent. Either off the tee or fairway I would have the occasional bad shot.

Picked of Cally 2 Super Hybrid and it has worked out well.

Stock Tensei Orange shaft at 17 degrees.

Cant say I am giving much up in yardage because I just make better contact than I do with the fairway woods. I do use Ping G 410 3 and 4 also.

The face is super hot and it has lower spin than my other hybrids. But it launches the ball pretty well so it can be played into greens.

I really like it off the tee. Somebody on the other thread remarked that since it is bigger than other hybrid but smaller than the larger modern fairway woods that the super hybrid is about the size of fairway woods from 20 years ago.

I really do treat it like a fairway wood though as fair as lie is concerned. Great off of fairway and second cut, go to my other hybrids out of rough. 

Cool, I was not aware of the Super Hybrid- I'll definitely give those a look.

Got rid of my 3w and how have the Ping G425 hybrid that has been lowered in loft, i only ever hit the 3w off the deck on par 5's and was just to inconsistent, yeah my last one probably went about 10 - 15 yards further on a good shot but i worked out on average there was barely anything in it, and i actually hit the hybrid off the tee now and again, i hated hitting a 3w off a tee

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

I have no issue hitting a 3w but over the last few years ive come to understand I simply never use it (or NEED to use it). I would say almost 99% of the time ive used a 3w the last few years has been off the tee just bc I havent used it in a while.

Im long enough off the tee and im not playing 7500 yard courses where a 3w would even benefit me. This year I put a 2h (17*) in the bag an dropped my driving ion bc the hybrid has been more versatile. Last week I bought a Super Hybrid again and that will be my new 3w technically

This saturday will be my first round with the new setup. im going driver, super hybrid set to 16* and lofting the PXG up to 19*. I love my PXG 2h so much and its been the best club in my bag so hopefully I don't develop a left miss by lofting it up to 19*. If I was smart I should have stuck with the 17* PXG and bought either the 19 or 22 so I can go 2hybrid, 3hybrid, to 4 iron.

A 2 hybrid is a great club for people struggling with fairways but I know some people have issues elevating the 2h for it to be worth it

• Like 2

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

On 4/29/2021 at 5:02 AM, ChipNRun said:

Sorry but I have to debunk this myth. I have tried 3 different 4 woods to try and replace my 3 wood so that I have a club I can use more easily off the deck as well as off the tee. A half to a quarter inch shorter shaft and 2 degrees weaker loft (15° to 17°) has made no difference whatsoever in terms of playability.  I'm like the OP and use my 3/4 wood almost exclusively off the tee and prefer hybrids off the fairway.  I rarely use my 3/4 wood off the fairway. And everytime I do it just reminds me why I don't. 

• Like 2

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

I tried going with a 2 hybrid a long time ago but just couldn't get along with it at all. I used to hate fairway woods until I got my Callaway X2Hot Pro 4 wood. 3 woods just didn't have enough loft for me. I rarely hit my hybrid these days as I oddly enough have more confidence in my 4 iron than my 3H. I think it's just the shaft in my hybrid. Feels too whippy but I would never go back to a low lofted hybrid because it didn't give me any confidence. Harder to launch for me.

Titleist 915D2 10.5º - Diamana Blue 60 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro 4W 17º - Aldila Tour Green

Titleist 915H 20° - Diamana Blue 70 S
Cobra AMP Forged (4-PW) - KBS Tour S+
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°/54°/58° - TTDG Spinner Tour
Seemore Nashville mFGP Blade