High Swing Speed Player - Need Lower Spin Driver

KingTitus

1 hour ago, GMcKelvie said:

Thoughts based on the below. This is a good average of my numbers. 

Basically my previous posts are my thoughts based on those numbers.  So sorry, not sure if you were asking for more info and if so, about what specifically?

1 hour ago, GMcKelvie said:

Thinking an 8 degree head that I can drop down to 6-7 and go with a ventus 7x tipped an inch. 

Just be careful.  Lowering the loft via a hosel adjustment will open the face angle - not always the best for someone who might prefer a draw bias set-up.  Never hurts to try it out though.  Just keep an eye on the shot shape when you do.

Second, chasing launch and spin with shaft changes might work in some cases but it also might backfire in various ways.  Changes to the stiffness feel can also potentially effect the release timing and body sequencing in various ways for different players - so it can change the results in more ways than just the amount of dynamic loft added with the forward bend of the shaft.  It can also potentially effect other aspects of the shot and results such as consistency (dispersion), shot shape control and accuracy.  Those last 3 things should dominate the choice of a shaft more than the launch and spin so don't get overly fixated on the launch and spin numbers.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GMcKelvie said:

Thinking an 8 degree head that I can drop down to 6-7 and go with a ventus 7x tipped an inch. 

With your ss,  10 degrees of launch with the 8* head wouldn't hurt since you're currently getting 12.5 with the 9* head.  Spin will come down with the lower loft head.  Good luck to you and hope it works out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

5 hours ago, GMcKelvie said:

Currently gaming a TSi3 9 degree set to 8.25 with a Ventus Black 6x. Typical angle of attack is 4-5 degrees up with a natural club path. Swing speed on GCQuad is 120-124. At the moment I'm averaging a launch angle between 12.5-13.5 but spinning well over 3k. Average spin is usually between 3200-3500 which means I'm losing massive amounts of yards due to it.

Any suggestions on a lower spinning head? Would most likely switch to a Ventus Black 7x with the new head to get a bit more feel and control over the club head. 

Are you doing that with a low-spin ball? Dare I presume you've tried Dash - ?  I don't have the same SS but can attest, it's a low spinning ball for me.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

1 minute ago, Pepperturbo said:

Are you doing that with a low-spin ball? Dare I presume you've tried Dash - ?  I don't have the same SS but can attest, it's a low spinning ball for me.

Have used both Prov1 and Prov1x for testing. Same spin on both. Haven't tried left dash as I think it might drop spin by 100-150rpm...still would need another few hundred off. 

SIM2 8 degree - Ventus Black 7x

SIM2 3 wood - Ventus Black 8x

Srixon ZX Utility 2 Iron - Ventus Black 10TX

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW - Project X 6.5

Mizuno T20 50/55/60 - Project X 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

2 minutes ago, GMcKelvie said:

Have used both Prov1 and Prov1x for testing. Same spin on both. Haven't tried left dash as I think it might drop spin by 100-150rpm...still would need another few hundred off. 

Try the Chrome Soft X LS if you haven't already.  It knocked 200 rpm off and it's my gamer now. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

3 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Try the Chrome Soft X LS if you haven't already.  It knocked 200 rpm off and it's my gamer now. 

I'll give this a try!

9 minutes ago, GMcKelvie said:

Also try Left dash and Taylormade TP5X.  Prov1 and 1x are not that low in spin either.  

Sim2 8* or Max LS 9* to 7* with Ventus Black 7X tipped 1.5" with Tp5X.  Enjoy the rockets

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Just now, J13 said:

Also try Left dash and Taylormade TP5X.  Prov1 and 1x are not that low in spin either.  

Sim2 8* or Max LS 9* to 7* with Ventus Black 7X tipped 1.5" with Tp5X.  Enjoy the rockets

Just found a brand new 8* Sim2 with Ventus Black 7X tipped 1.5" on Ebay for $650...I'd call that a deal. Will have next week and will report back. Will try a few different balls as well to see how they influence launch and spin. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, toddmanley said:

I'm testing my SIM2 9* tonight and will report back on what I see with lofting it down.

I just realized.... the golf garage?!?!

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I might be missing something, but the only response I saw re; face impact was pretty brief. Is that basing it on tee marks or using impact tape and/or some other physical marker? I'm not saying a different head and/or ball and/or shaft might not be better, but it didn't seem like the impact location was fully explored.

Best of luck regardless. I know for me personally I can fight spin successfully but I can also sometimes find better and worse parts of the face for that.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GMcKelvie said:

Heard the TSi4 is not forgiving at all, which I'd like to stay away from. I've messed with swing weight, loft/lie and nothing seems to get the numbers down. I occasionally will get 1-2 shots on quad below 2400 but those are so few and far between.

@Stuart_G is absolutely right in that you should be looking at dynamic loft and how you're delivering the club WELL before you go hunting for another driver. Your strike quality is good, but you are delivering too much loft in an effort to hit up on the ball and that is creating more spin, simple as that. You're turning your 8.25* driver into a 15* 3-wood with how you are delivering it, hence getting 3-wood spin numbers. Another shaft or driver won't change that. 

Also to highlight the quoted post above, low spin drivers are inherently less forgiving, that is always the trade off and it is important to understand that relationship. A driver that is inherently "low spin" is such due to a combination of lower CG and lower MOI. These two work together to create less spin on properly struck shots (slightly above center) via vertical gear effects, the same effects that will also make shots struck low spin up more and heel/toe strike curve more. It is just the nature of the beast, which is why it is important to understand why your spin is what it is. The TSi3 is not the lowest spinning driver out there, but nothing about it will inherently produce 3k+ spin without a delivery problem. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

This might not apply as my swing speed is only 109-112. 

Every time I tried to hit up on the ball my spin would greatly increase. Also my dispersion would be horrible. 

For me I would tee the ball a little lower keeping my club through impact more level. I hit it longer and straighter. 

Might be worth a try messing with tee night .... 

16 hours ago, GMcKelvie said:

Just found a brand new 8* Sim2 with Ventus Black 7X tipped 1.5" on Ebay for $650...I'd call that a deal. Will have next week and will report back. Will try a few different balls as well to see how they influence launch and spin. 

It will be much better than the Tsi3.  Enjoy and that's hilarious you found the exact setup lol

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Finally made it out and captured some Trackman data.  SS was down a little bit from a working out earlier in the day and a full week of lifting.  All shots were with the Left Dash and the driver/shaft combo noted below.

TSi3 9*, Ventus 6x untipped, playing 46" (untipped) in the D1 (8.25* loft) position - May 20th

This first series of shots was taken back on May 20th as I was working through some really poor swing path mechanics.  I was dumping speed at the top and coming thru the ball with an out-to-in swing due to some early extension flaws.  Nonetheless here's the data.

image.png.32aaf7c7c88f802b90df823856f0bf56.png

TSi3 9*, Tour AD DI 6x, playing 46" (tipped 1") in the D1 (8.25* loft) position - June 11th

A couple of weeks later and you see an improvement with my club path.  Lower SS but better spin and club delivery.

image.png.78f1865120579c9dc3a0a2b60502e5d3.png

TSi3 9*, Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5, playing 45.5" (untipped) in the D1 (8.25* loft) position - June 11th

Tried this combo just to see what an older shaft would do today.

image.png.9d0b90ced15a18124a3c08d9c8ac0e8a.png

SIM2 9*, Atmos TS Black 6s, playing 45.75" (untipped) in the standard position - June 11th

I was fitted into this shaft with my original SIM, so had it laying around to try in the SIM2 (which was a warranty replacement as my SIM face cracked).  Not a bad combo.

image.png.8ce1e68e2dedce318a3c491ced4317aa.png

SIM2 9*, Tensei Pro Orange 65tx, playing 45" (untipped) in the standard position - June 11th

Not surprised to see a little higher SS given the counter-balanced nature of this shaft - wasn't expecting to see the higher spin rate but not surprised as it "felt" spinny...which Trackman confirmed.

image.png.bdb8d4a7566a269dfbac1fdc32e8ce90.png

SIM2 9*, Smoke RDX 6.0, playing 45.75" (untipped) in the standard position - June 11th

This shaft came with the replacement SIM2 and surprisingly enough showed some real promise in cutting down spin.

image.png.6e97cd315677463aaa49e8a1b3ab9bc3.png

What's next?

I'm waiting to get the Ventus back next week - decided to tip it 0.5" and see what it feels like.  With the recent swing improvements I'm excited to see what numbers the TSi3/Ventus Black combo will produce.

image.png

I’m right at the same speed.   My “normal” swing is 120 and juiced up is around 123-125.  Ball speed was around 170-175.  I play a 9* M3 head with the weights all the way forward and a KBS 60g Category 4 untipped.   I swung the new mizuno head and the tsi3 and was surprised at how fast the tsi3 was.   It was about 3-5 faster than my M3 with a touch better launch and lower spin.  I’m going to set up another outdoor session next month with a fitter and really tune on a tsi3 head.  We only had about 20 minutes after a shaft/loft/lie adjustment on my irons and the guy was cool enough to let me swing some drivers.   I’m definitely sticking with the KBS shaft and I love the control and feel.  I went down the ventus, tensei white, Hzrdus road and wasn’t impressed by any of them.   

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

I wanted to provide a follow up for anyone who might be interested. Have since made the switch to an 8* SIM2 (playing at standard loft) with Ventus Black 7x tipped 1". Have also switched over to the ProV1x Left Dash. This combination has helped reduce my spin numbers to an average of 2100. While a lot of work has been put into my delivery and swing path over the last 2 weeks, that in combination with the SIM2 is working very well for me. Happy to report that in my first round with it over the weekend, I hit 10/14 fairways with my worst miss being in the 2nd cut of rough. Ball flight with the SIM2 for me as been extremely straight with my miss being a baby fade. My average drive distance came out to 316 yards with two being 340+ yards. 

• Like 3