2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Golf clubs for wife

Liquid_A_45

3 hours ago, Liquid_A_45 said:

Wife is wanting some clubs and lessons. Obvious answer is to grab her a ladies box set hut she's pretty tall (5'8") and athletic so I am wondering if mens senior would be better?  Any tips?  Don't want any "go get fit" responses as this needs to be a very low investment purchase lol. 

Depending on how strong she is, men's senior or even regular would work.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Why not get her a short set at golfworks. You’d save $, get high quality clubs, and can add clubs if she sticks with it. The M890 model is perfect

• Like 2

Driver: SIM 9*, Ventus 6R
FWs: Maltby ke4 ist 17*, kura kage silver 65 R; ke4 ist pro 20*, Maltby fw shaft

4H: Srixon ZX, Evenflow Riptide 80 5.5

Irons: Golfworks TS2, 5i Recoil F3; 6i-GW , Nippon 950GH reg (all + 1/2”)
Wedges: Golfworks TSW 52 & 58
Putter: Odyssey versa 12
Ball: Maxfli tour x

I a looking to get the wife new sticks this year. Hers are old and don't think they help her game any. The Wilson box set can be had in purple, I think that would sell it.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Just now, Hawkeye77 said:

Don't want to hear get fit, don't want to buy a set for more than $300 - no garage sales in your town this weekend?

Jeeez Kuchar, your wife lets you have a custom tennis racquet.

What I tell people all the time.....YOU CAN'T GET FIT UNLESS YOU HAVE TENDENCES 🙂

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk. No but for real, unless you're freakishly tall or freakisly short just pick up a club and go have fun

1 minute ago, Tommyboi95 said:

What I tell people all the time.....YOU CAN'T GET FIT UNLESS YOU HAVE TENDENCES 🙂

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk. No but for real, unless you're freakishly tall or freakisly short just pick up a club and go have fun

LOL, I tell people you want your wife to enjoy golf (or continue to enjoy you) don't go all cheap when it comes to getting her (or anyone else) into the game.  Plenty of ways and places to go to get close to a good fit and shaft is pretty darn important, and buy some decent clubs and give her a chance to learn the game and get some pleasure out of it.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Liquid_A_45 said:

Wife is wanting some clubs and lessons. Obvious answer is to grab her a ladies box set hut she's pretty tall (5'8") and athletic so I am wondering if mens senior would be better?  Any tips?  Don't want any "go get fit" responses as this needs to be a very low investment purchase lol. 

MY wife is 5'7" with somewhat large hands for a woman, she has been fitted twice and both times it was -1/2" senior shafts.  Womans grip were too small sometimes as well.

• Like 1

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R or TMAG SIM max Riptide R shaft
XHot Callaway 3w
19, 23 & 26 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap Apex DCB Recoil Dart F3
Scotty Kombi
52/11 Cleveland CBX 56 Tmag ATV

I just went through this with my wife...

She ordered a box set of Wilson clubs off of Amazon.  When they got here I didn't particularly care for them...  they were not PINGs after all...  So, I convinced her I could build her a set of clubs for a couple hundred more and would build them to the same specs as the Wilsons.

I found a set of PING G5's 4- SW on the book of faces for $100 that were in great shape.  Shopped around on the bay and found a nice 15* loft G2 driver, G5 five wood and a PING Faith hybrid.  IIRC, the driver, five wood and hybrid cost me ~$150.  I picked up new Graphite Design ladies flex shafts and Lamkin grips that were on sale at Billy Bob's.  I re-shafted the irons, cut down the driver, five wood and hybrid after tip weighting them to get the swing weight back to match the Wilsons...  I then found her a nice PING Faith "Craz-E" putter with the PING "retro" head cover on the bay for $75.  I just ordered her a PING "Tropical" Hoofer Lite bag this morning...  when all is said and done we will probably have ~$750 in the entire deal.

• Like 2

Get her ladies flex Nike clubs on ebay or something from another OEM thats several seasons old.

ALL golf equipment is marked up right now due to the COVID hype still, so it is what it is.

I would not get senior flex stuff if you dont know how she will swing yet. Ladies flex will most probably suit her better right now and you can fit her into something stronger when she gets better in a few years.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

9 hours ago, Liquid_A_45 said:

You have a tall, athletic wife who wants to play golf, and you want to go cheap?

Try to find a shop where she can get lessons and a fitting. The fitting doesn't have to be a full-bag, two-day marathon. Go with a static fitting to make sure the clubs are the right length, check the dynamic lie (hit some balls, check impact points), and grip thickness. Also, make sure the clubs are right weight and flex for her. She can get a static fitting on boxed sets.

If you do the eBay shuffle, you could waste quite a bit of money plus a full golf season hoping she gets clubs she can hit.

eBay might work once she figures what weights, etc., she needs, but in early going get at least a static fitting.

• Like 2

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

My wife is 5"7" and was fit for Senior flex men's standard length. Her's are 1° upright, but you can probably get away with standard lie. 

I think the ladies length are gonna be way too short for your wife. Mine used a hand-me-down set of my mom's and you could tell she had to bend down an uncomfortable amount to swing them. Once she started using Men's length it was a night and day difference. 

I grabbed my wife a complete set of the Tour Edge HL3 a bit ago when they were on clearance.  Just slightly above your price range.  My wife was an athlete in college and currently teaches fitness classes.  She's also the same height as your wife, which I hadn't ever really considered that tall.  The ironwoods, Cobra T Rail or Cleveland Launchers are nice quality beginner sets.

My wife is short and not athletic.  

I bought some ladies flex shafts off of eBay and threw some Ping adaptors on them.  Gave her my old G driver and 5W head.  Once I explained Dragonfly technology to her she was impressed, lol.

Then I bought some senior flex M2 hybrids for dirt cheap and cut them down a bit.

I found a used set of ladies 6-S Steeheads on Callaway Preowned for a couple hundred dollars.

Then to finish the bag I cut a few inches off of my Scotty Monterey 1.5 and an old Vokey 58.

I even gave the Scotty a custom translucent purple paint job.

Ping G driver ladies flex

Ping G 5 wood ladies flex 

M2 20 and 24 hybrid senior shaft  

Ladies Steehead 6-S

Sawed off Vokey 58 and Scotty 

She crocheted herself custom head covers.  

She has a better bag than half my buddies for dirt cheap (not counting the initial cost for my old clubs). 

Edited by St Jimmy
  • Like 2

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

If she has truly never played, spend on lessons not equipment.  She'll hopefully learn the right way once (much more economical in the long run!) The person leading that lesson will be a great equipment resource.  There are tons of easily accessible clinic/lessons series for women right now.  

A boxed set will probably be easiest. The used route will be more legwork.  There isn't much women's golf equipment out there to begin with.  Women don't change equipment much, so there is less used equipment floating around.  I've helped girlfriends taking up or coming back to the game, and most of the time their husband/boyfriend/mother/friend had workable equipment that could be mildly repurposed.

• Putter: Do you have an old or second one at home? 
  • Irons:  
    • Do you, or someone you know have decently forgiving cavity back irons languishing in the basement? You could probably take a 7, 9, + wedge and get those re-shafted inexpensively with entry level graphite iron shaft and basic grip.  
    • Up to you, but if she is truly a beginner,  there is probably not going to be a enough of a  difference in the length she hits her irons to need a full set.  
  • Hybrid used 
  • Driver used 

Other thoughts: 

• Bag: Let her pick it out, don't buy it for her and don't assume she wants bright pink!  
  • Head Covers: Used clubs won't come with head covers, but she'll notice if she doesn't have them.
  • Doesn't hurt to ask around if there is someone you know that has clubs she can borrow initially until she forms preferences around what she likes and doesn't with golf equipment.      

Edited by ThePutterGirl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I came across these and I might have to. They look great, but I don't think she will appreciate the JDM quality like I do. 🤣

Screenshot_20210625-113241.png

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

My wife is 5'8, and a jock most of her adult life.  When I met her she was playing a little using women's clubs.  After I saw her play and she talked of new clubs I suggested getting fit, she said fine.  I sent her to a fitter I know that works for an OEM.  After the fitting, he suggested men's senior shafts and some mid-level heads.  It changed her game in a good way, she plays to a 12 and often plays men or women's white tees.  Point, don't assume women's shafts cause of sex.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 3
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Also don't assume ladies grips because she's a lady!  My wife cannot get along with ladies grips because she can't grip it securely with her fingers.  Big arthritic grips did the trick despite her small hands.  She can drive 200+yd, but would revert to a bad swing when hands got tired from death gripping ladies grips.... You've seen that first timer swing - palmed split grip, bent arm, no wrist hinge, half swing.

I just took her to a store to hit all kinds of irons, and found she didn't like the flexy feel of ladies shafts.  It's up to her if you want to piece a few clubs together (D, hy, 8i, SW, P); used/new; or box set - men's senior like you said may be easier to manipulate (choke down, cut, regrip).  Check out Hireko.  Try to teach a couple fundamentals with your own clubs - grip, aim and swing towards a target.  But yeah, lessons.  You might be able to teach her similar things as the pro would, but she'll listen to the pro!

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, RIPα105X 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf