2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Ball shortage????

tsecor

1 hour ago, dalehead said:

I agree. But what happens if the cheaper balls start disappearing from the shelves? Do the guys who use them just stop playing? Or do they bite the bullet and buy a premium ball putting even more demand on production.

I only see a possibility of that being a choice that someone realistically has to make if they only buy golf balls in stores/pro shops and absolutely refuse to order balls online.  There will continue to be many options for non-premium balls at various price points.  The only people who I think "might" have to make that kind of temporary decision if they can't find their ball of choice are folks who play Kirkland balls and want to stay with new urethane balls or folks who play non-white DTC urethane balls and want to stay with non-white urethane balls.

Edited by cardigan

1 hour ago, cardigan said:

I only see a possibility of that being a choice that someone realistically has to make if they only buy golf balls in stores/pro shops and absolutely refuse to order balls online.  There will continue to be many options for non-premium balls at various price points.  The only people who I think "might" have to make that kind of temporary decision if they can't find their ball of choice are folks who play Kirkland balls and want to stay with new urethane balls or folks who play non-white DTC urethane balls and want to stay with non-white urethane balls.

Kirkland and DTC brands are going to feel the pinch first. Titleist, TM, Callaway have the clout, and the $, to go to the head of the line with suppliers.

• Thanks 1

I’ve looked in four different stores, two Dicks, a Golf Galaxy (I know, really just another DSG, and Scheels. None have any TM Tour Response. They do seem pretty well stocked on most of the other models though. 

As little as I play anymore, I probably have enough to last me the rest of my playing days. 

27 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

I’ve looked in four different stores, two Dicks, a Golf Galaxy (I know, really just another DSG, and Scheels. None have any TM Tour Response. They do seem pretty well stocked on most of the other models though. 

As little as I play anymore, I probably have enough to last me the rest of my playing days. 

You got me curious. I checked Amazon. The first hit I got, the Taylormade Store, has Tour Response white at $57.06 a dozen with delivery the second week of November. You can get a dozen yellow right away, for $72.

The TM website has them available at $34.95 with shipping right away. This plus your observation leads me to believe TM is curtailing shipments to retailers in favor of selling them online at full retail rather then sell them at wholesale to other vendors.

Edited by dalehead

1 hour ago, dalehead said:

You got me curious. I checked Amazon. The first hit I got, the Taylormade Store, has Tour Response white at $57.06 a dozen with delivery the second week of November. You can get a dozen yellow right away, for $72.

The TM website has them available at $34.95 with shipping right away. This plus your observation leads me to believe TM is curtailing shipments to retailers in favor of selling them online at full retail rather then sell them at wholesale to other vendors.

3 hours ago, dalehead said:

Kirkland and DTC brands are going to feel the pinch first. Titleist, TM, Callaway have the clout, and the $, to go to the head of the line with suppliers.

I would just say that if you are really that concerned then go ahead and stock up on your ball of choice.  Personally I haven't seen anything yet to make me want to start hoarding balls or  to encourage others to do so but everyone has their own opinions.  In any case as a wrx member it goes without saying that I have more than enough balls to last a few years but still buy new balls regularly.

9 hours ago, dalehead said:

DTC brands already are feeling the pinch. Kirkland, better yet, Costco probably has more $ and buying clout than all those companies combined. Heck, they just procured 3 cargo ships to ensure their supply chain issues are minimal compared to what everyone else is dealing with nowadays. Unfortunately, I'm willing to bet golf balls are not high on their list of importance these days and might fade away until things get back to normal. But who knows for sure, balls are still available on their website and stores are still receiving fresh pallets. 

9 hours ago, cardigan said:

I would just say that if you are really that concerned then go ahead and stock up on your ball of choice.  Personally I haven't seen anything yet to make me want to start hoarding balls or  to encourage others to do so but everyone has their own opinions.  In any case as a wrx member it goes without saying that I have more than enough balls to last a few years but still buy new balls regularly.

I am stocking up.

Interesting that you say you’re  not going to start hoarding golf balls, but you have several years supply and you keep buying more.

8 minutes ago, dalehead said:

I am stocking up.

Interesting that you say you’re  not going to start hoarding golf balls, but you have several years supply and you keep buying more.

Like many here, that predates any fear of a ball shortage.  TP5X practice balls bought in bulk to get free shipping, Spalding Tour X balls from when Walmart was blowing them out at $6 - $9 a dozen, OG KSig 4 piece balls, random one-off dozens of balls I've wanted to try, birthday/Christmas gift balls, etc.  I even have suryln balls that I bought just to cut them open.  It's still a small amount compared to a lot of people around here.  Nothing bought out of fear golf balls in general being unavailable.  If someone I have a tee time with says they need to buy some balls in the morning before our round, I tell them not to worry about it and just give them some.  The collection of balls found while playing that are in good shape is also growing but that's a different story.  I have issues.

• Like 3

Like many here, that predates any fear of a ball shortage.  TP5X practice balls bought in bulk to get free shipping, Spalding Tour X balls from when Walmart was blowing them out at $6 - $9 a dozen, OG KSig 4 piece balls, random one-off dozens of balls I've wanted to try, birthday/Christmas gift balls, etc.  I even have suryln balls that I bought just to cut them open.  It's still a small amount compared to a lot of people around here.  Nothing bought out of fear golf balls in general being unavailable.  If someone I have a tee time with says they need to buy some balls in the morning before our round, I tell them not to worry about it and just give them some.  The collection of balls found while playing that are in good shape is also growing but that's a different story.  I have issues.

Lol yup

guilty as well😂

• Like 2

Yadi for President

12 hours ago, dalehead said:

Even though that the particular link is visible in the "TaylorMade Store", TaylorMade is not the seller.  Those are from random 3rd party sellers.  Check golfdiscount for a better price.

• Like 1

The "good" news is that most of the northern hemisphere is starting to move into non-golf weather, so that might alleviate some of the demand-side issues.

The better news is that I don't live somewhere that ever has non-golf weather 😉 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

22 hours ago, dalehead said:

I agree. But what happens if the cheaper balls start disappearing from the shelves? Do the guys who use them just stop playing? Or do they bite the bullet and buy a premium ball putting even more demand on production.

Already happening a little but I would say that the demand for used/found balls goes way up from that demographic and I’m sure some will pay up for more premium balls. Will be interesting to see if that causes price increase pressure as well

I talked to 3 pro shops at golf courses and they are not able to get any new ball shipments until next year.  One course told me that they had orders placed with several manufactures but all back orders were canceled and only new orders for shipment in the spring were being accepted.  He also said that there will be restrictions on how many balls they can order which he believes are based on past sales.  

• Like 1

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

1 hour ago, crazygolfnut said:

I talked to 3 pro shops at golf courses and they are not able to get any new ball shipments until next year.  One course told me that they had orders placed with several manufactures but all back orders were canceled and only new orders for shipment in the spring were being accepted.  He also said that there will be restrictions on how many balls they can order which he believes are based on past sales.  

It makes complete sense that OEM's having supply issues would prioritize large retailers over smaller retailers and individual pro shops.  Same as factories that produce balls for multiple companies prioritizing big OEM's over DTC companies.

Exactly, most places have stock right now but I think that when March/April comes around and there is the initial spike in demand as golfers are going out to stock up for the season, that will be the true test of where the industry is at. It will certainly be exacerbated if there are any signs of limiting how many you can purchase at once and people will try to stock up/hoard as much as they can. I'm planning on having enough to not need to purchase balls next season if necessary.  

I live in Florida. I’m guessing manufacturers will divert inventory to warm weather states for the fall and winter months. Chains like Dick’s may do the same.

Next spring I do not expect any deals like Titleist and TM buy 4 for the price of 3. If supplies are still tight when  the spring buying surge hits it may make the situation worse.

I currently have enough ammo to get through about June. I may add a couple of months supply to that. I’m going to use them anyway.

If there is no shortage no harm done. If there is it will not be a problem for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that the "ball shortage" will lessen over the winter. While golf is played worldwide both northern and southern hemispheres, a lot of golfers will be on winter hiatus. I realize that balls are bought out of season, I personally am well stocked and unless there is a winter sale I plan on buying no balls over the winter. Lets hope that all of the cold climate golfers will not be buying and the shortage eases.

On 10/15/2021 at 11:03 PM, deadsolid...shank said:

i was so tempted to make a joke

37 minutes ago, tsecor said:

all you hoarders probably have 20 dz at home, but scream at your spouse when she wants to buy extra toilet paper....:)😃

I plead the fifth sir. 🤐

I did some cleaning of my basement, and put all of the dozens of balls in one spot. I found out I had about 15 dozen boxes, and I have a few in the garage to bring in to add, so I have about 18~ dozen not including the found balls/extra balls in my bag. It was eye opening to say the least.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft