New LAB golf putter—Mezz

Liveonce

2 minutes ago, elbellet said:

Well, I have been missing a lot of putts, but definitely an element of user error...I do not like the way the grip feels however, its sticky and smooth to the touch compared to the righty version with the sort of perforations.  I am very optimistic about the putter though!

Seems like it takes time and adjustment.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR2 with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

4 hours ago, elbellet said:

Hi Everyone,

I just received my Mezz.1 yesterday, played a few holes, and a few thoughts:

a.  Has anyone had to alter or change their setup or stroke at all?

b.  Any lefties out there?  I ordered mine with the Press 1.5 and the grip look and texture is totally different than the righty model, honestly don't love it.

c.  Mine came with the fabric headcover and its great

I am new to LAB, so any putting tips welcomed.  

Set up with the tip of the shaft in the center of your stance.  Ball position will be based off of that.  That's the low point, where the head wants to return to square.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Order my Mezz 12/30 and it arrived 1/19; requested total weight 500-550 and SW D0-D4. 34” came in at 517gm and D0. It feels maybe a touch light-may add some tape then send back for adjustment. 
Background:I’ve owned DF2.1 but sold it simply due to its size in the bag and difficulty getting it in and out w the 3*grip etc. I own the B2 stainless, removed all the powder weight in head and installed optivibe inside shaft 4” down to get SW down: it is 34” 586gm at D0. My B2 def feels heavier and somewhere b/w the Mezz and B2 spec would be my ideal. 
Mezz thoughts after 9 holes: I am a fan of the LAB experience, Mezz is way more akin to DF than B2. Mezz has that hollow higher pitched ‘Tonk’ when struck-somewhat similar to the old Ping 1-A. Personally I prefer sound/feel of the B2, but it’s kinda quirky in a fun way. Playing partner commented on how it sounded. Mezz face is hot imo, at first I was sending 10-20 footers well past hole ~6-8’. Longer putts including off the fringe were very good for me. Weighting may be a part of this as the DF/Mezz tend to feel lighter to me. I enjoy the weightless (torque-less) feelings the DF/Mezz give, and the grip w fwd lean are fun to me. It makes my motion different in a good way-it feel like you simply setup and rock it. If using a ball line then your reads become very noticeable if you miss with a pure roll. 
My guess is the sound is due the hollow(aside from the screws) aluminum head. If the DF/Mezz could sound like a Toulon Atlanta that would be my unicorn. 

I’m excited to play a bit more now after 3 months off and a new putter🙌🏼  

BW

Edited by wattage
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, elbellet said:

Well, I have been missing a lot of putts, but definitely an element of user error...I do not like the way the grip feels however, its sticky and smooth to the touch compared to the righty version with the sort of perforations.  I am very optimistic about the putter though!

Scoot the ball forward of where it normally is by a couple inches. Then scrutinize your aim. The putter is working hard to go where you point so aim is more important than with other putters. Lastly, accept its a different thing. All other putters require you to KEEP them square. This putter you just need to LET it stay square. Let the putter lead you to a better, more free stroke. No more manipulation. And sorry you don't like the grip. I wish we had the others in lefty for you but we don't. Maybe some tennis tape?

Has anyone tried any of the other LAB grips on the Mezz? interested in trying the OG 3 degree grip on it. @labgolf thoughts?

Driver Taylormade Qi10

3W Ping G430 LST 5W Callaway Apex UW 

4i Mizuno Fli Hi 5-PW Ping Blueprint S

GW 50 Ping Glide 4.0 SW 56 Vokey S LW 62 Vokey M

Putters Kevin Burns 9306 Ball Titleist Pro V1

After struggling with putting and hating the paint chips on my Spider I watched a guy get off a plane in Palm springs and sink everything with a DF 2.1.  The Mezz looks like something I could game so I’ve set up a putter fitting with a local fitter who carries LAB.

I’m trying to keep the fitting brand agnostic for now but I really want the Mezz to win.  The fitter said LAB works great for some people. @labgolf - Any thoughts on who is best suited with a Mezz?  The wait is killing me..,,

Edited by JZ75

I am 14 rounds in now and use arccoss for every round. Coming from an Evnroll er6 which I had for 5 years my stats have me 1 full shot better in strokes gained (compared to a scratch handicap) and I am making 1 more 1 putt per round now (average 6.2 1 putts per round) than before. That is quite a significant improvement. Biggest can has been on 10-25 foot putts. I am a fan and definitely better st getting the ball on my intended start line. 

• Like 3

So first round in with the MEZZ.   I will start by saying I had been putting atrociously the previous 3 to 4 months with maybe three good rounds in 14 in that time.  So on December 31st I ordered a MEZZ sight unseen, obviously since they are not out yet.  Unfortunately Atlanta has been cold and even had a little snow on the north side where I live, so other than hitting putts on my mat in the basement in between and sometimes during meetings I had not had any time with it on the course.

Greens were covered and we teed off late(11:45 shotgun) and the practice green stayed closed so I never had a chance to hit a single putt before going out and because of the bad weather hadn't played since that round on the 31st.

I hit 11 greens, only one inside of 15 feet and I made it.  I three putted the second green from 50 feet(I had to hit a shot over a tree and couldn't get it any closer).    Missed a 10 footer for par.  My chipping and tee game were horrendous.  I putted from the fringe twice and hit it to a foot or less.  I made five putts in the 6-10 foot range for par.  My total putts will not show how much better it was because my chipping game was so poor, but it is a step in the right direction.  I mean when you miss a green and have a relatively straight forward chip from 30 feet and manage to have outside of ten feet for par 5 times you cannot expect your putter to bail you out every time. I hit numerous putts from 20-25 feet that burned the edge and a couple that lipped out.  My distance control was much better than the last time I tried a LAB putter(with the exception of on the second hole) and I did not miss a putt under 6 feet all day.    Fell like my green reading was a bit off too, as all of those putts I hit that burned the edge (and ended up les than two feet away) I hit them right where I was aimed.  This while still feeling pretty uncomfortable for the first 6 holes.  I know that once it begins to warm up and I can practice at my club and actually play relatively consistently that it will be even better.

One thing I will say.  I was uncomfortable with it for the first 5-7 holes, I made some tentative strokes, and just some bad strokes over those holes.  How I line up standing on a floor and putting on a mat is different than what feels comfortable on the course.

One round is not a trend, but I cannot tell you how good it feels seeing that even when you are not comfortable in your stance, and knowing that the ball will roll where you aim unless you have a spasm is just so good for the confidence.  My chipping and driving are simply a fact of this being my second round since late November.

• Like 3
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

7 minutes ago, EdM said:

Does anyone have experience with the remote fitting through LAB? I'm wondering what the time frame was and how well the putter fit after the remote fitting. Thanks!

I'm sure others will chime in, I didn't do the remote fitting - used my known specs from an Edel fitting - but if you search through the big LAB thread for tidbits about the remote fitting you will find A LOT of happy customers.  I'm actually reading through the whole thread (on page 25 out of 75+) and there is pretty universal acclaim for the accuracy of the remote fitting.  I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

• Like 3

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

11 minutes ago, EdM said:

Does anyone have experience with the remote fitting through LAB? I'm wondering what the time frame was and how well the putter fit after the remote fitting. Thanks!

I did the remote fitting just after the New Year, they got back to me 3-4 days later, then I ordered the putter on January 6th.  It is supposed to arrive today.

• Like 1

LEFT HANDED

3 hours ago, EdM said:

I did the remote fitting for a DF2.1 and it was super easy and spot on. Used those same specs for a Mezz and same perfect fit

• Like 1

Got my putter today.  I rolled about 100 putts on my putting green inside tonight.  Here are my initial thoughts.

-Looks very nice and sets up nicely at address. Nice feel and look.

-The ball rolls very nicely off the face.

-I try and put the tip of the shaft in the center of my stance as suggested and this works well. As a result, the ball is just inside my front heel and my hands are then in my normal position which is nice.  This has not really required any adjustment for my stroke, other than just making sure that the tip of the shaft is in the center of my stance.

-The putter seems very balanced and easy to stroke, without requiring any real effort.  

-My putting green has a 6 foot, 8 foot, and 10 foot hole. I really didn't notice a problem with speed with these length putts, but can't comment on lag putting.

-Overall, I am very pleased with initial impressions.  I will have several months to practice with it before getting it outside in the spring here in Indy. I am putting with the same grip, stance, stroke and hand position, so I don't really see this being a big adjustment for me, and I can't see any reason why I couldn't go back and forth between this and my Spider Ex, if I wanted to.

LEFT HANDED

2 hours ago, Mob said:

Got my putter today.  I rolled about 100 putts on my putting green inside tonight.  Here are my initial thoughts.

-Looks very nice and sets up nicely at address. Nice feel and look.

-The ball rolls very nicely off the face.

-I try and put the tip of the shaft in the center of my stance as suggested and this works well. As a result, the ball is just inside my front heel and my hands are then in my normal position which is nice.  This has not really required any adjustment for my stroke, other than just making sure that the tip of the shaft is in the center of my stance.

-The putter seems very balanced and easy to stroke, without requiring any real effort.  

-My putting green has a 6 foot, 8 foot, and 10 foot hole. I really didn't notice a problem with speed with these length putts, but can't comment on lag putting.

-Overall, I am very pleased with initial impressions.  I will have several months to practice with it before getting it outside in the spring here in Indy. I am putting with the same grip, stance, stroke and hand position, so I don't really see this being a big adjustment for me, and I can't see any reason why I couldn't go back and forth between this and my Spider Ex, if I wanted to.

Interesting to hear you are coming from a Spider Ex and the adjustment is minimal. I’m gaming the Ex with the flow neck which has minimal toe hang.  Which Ex neck are you coming from?  Just interested to hear if it’s face balanced.  I understand that Lie Angle Balanced is different than Face Balanced, I’m just interested in what Spider you’re coming from to compare to where I am.

25 minutes ago, JZ75 said:

Interesting to hear you are coming from a Spider Ex and the adjustment is minimal. I’m gaming the Ex with the flow neck which has minimal toe hang.  Which Ex neck are you coming from?  Just interested to hear if it’s face balanced.  I understand that Lie Angle Balanced is different than Face Balanced, I’m just interested in what Spider you’re coming from to compare to where I am.

My Spider Ex is a short slant neck with some toe hang.  What I may not be saying clearly is that because of the Press grip and the shaft being an inch or two behind the face, the ball is forward, but my hand position hasn't changed from where I normally have them at address with my Spider Ex.  Instead of trying to stroke the putter differently, I am just using the exact same set up I normally do, and it seems to roll just fine.  Maybe I am just less sensitive to the changes that come with changing to a different putter than others here.

• Like 1

LEFT HANDED

20 minutes ago, Mob said:

My Spider Ex is a short slant neck with some toe hang.  What I may not be saying clearly is that because of the Press grip and the shaft being an inch or two behind the face, the ball is forward, but my hand position hasn't changed from where I normally have them at address with my Spider Ex.  Instead of trying to stroke the putter differently, I am just using the exact same set up I normally do, and it seems to roll just fine.  Maybe I am just less sensitive to the changes that come with changing to a different putter than others here.

Which shaft did you get in yours?

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

4 wood: Callaway Apex UW 17* Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: Odyssey Jailbird 380 MH

1 minute ago, Sankacoffee said:

Which shaft did you get in yours?

LAGP.

• Like 1

LEFT HANDED

Finally bit the bullet and I will be retiring my beloved 2.1 and ordered the Mezz. Was really thinking hard on this because I really love my ugly looking frying pan, but I have to give the Mezz a test. Ordered yesterday, can’t wait for it to arrive. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX Mk II 20 Degree Graphite Design AD-DI Hybrid 95X

Miura MC 502 4-P Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52, 56, 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Ping PLD DS 72

Titleist Pro V1

Love this thread, curious from those that have had some time with it and have a few rounds under their belt. I got a DF this summer, love it but play very fast greens and I think mentally would do better with a smaller profile.

Has anyone gone to the Mezz from the DF2.1 and gone back to the df?

On 1/24/2022 at 11:11 AM, driveandputtmachine said:

One thing I will say.  I was uncomfortable with it for the first 5-7 holes, I made some tentative strokes, and just some bad strokes over those holes.  How I line up standing on a floor and putting on a mat is different than what feels comfortable on the course.

Do you wear the same footwear while practicing on the mat versus on the course?  I think the amount of lift in shoes is an aspect too often overlooked.

• Like 4

Anyone have experience using a SuperStroke on a LAB?  Or should I just learn to love the press 1.5?

Ping G430 Max w/HZRDUS Black 6.5

Srixon Zx Utility 3 Iron w/TourAD Di 95x

Callaway Apex MB 18 7-P w/PX LZ Blackout 6.5

Callaway Apex TCB 6 Iron w/PX LZ Blackout 6.5

Sub 70 685 CB 4 & 5 Iron w/PX LZ Blackout 6.5

Vokey SM9 50,54,58 w/S400TI

Cleveland RTX ZipCore Full Face 65 w/S400TI

LAB Golf Link.1

GFore Daytona Golf Bag 

7 minutes ago, elbellet said:

Anyone have experience using a SuperStroke on a LAB?  Or should I just learn to love the press 1.5?

I cannot comment on the super stroke grip, but I can tell you the Press 1.5 has been a very good grip. It really helps put your hands and club in the right position as they intended. If you don’t try to manipulate the club and just stroke it, I found it works really well. I really like the grip and would recommend trying it.

LEFT HANDED

On 1/29/2022 at 10:14 AM, tenacious84 said:

Do you wear the same footwear while practicing on the mat versus on the course?  I think the amount of lift in shoes is an aspect too often overlooked.

I don't wear spikes and based on a casual look, the amount of rise on my golf shoes and my daily shoes are very similar.

The issue with "comfort" has more to due with me trying to completely overhaul my putting stroke based on what others in this thread and the other thread reported.  Move the ball forward they said, it will help start line they said.  I should not have listened to anyone.  

I keep the ball somewhat back in my stance, and putt with an open stance.  I was trying to move it forward and do other things, that work great on a mat.  My mat has a long putt of 10 feet, so as soon as I got on the course with a putt of 30 or 40 feet it felt weird, because I was unable to hit putts of this length because the mat and then our putting green has been closed on days I have gone out to play.

If I had the ability to hit longer putts, then this wouldn't have been a problem. 

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I finally got my fitting and ordered a mezz. Came in at 35/67*.  But I got a couple of questions for @labgolf . I’ve never even seen a mezz, much less putted with one. My fitting was done on a 2.1. Do you guys have a return if the mezz isn’t all I hope it is. I have no problem with the 2.1. I just wanted the more conventional looking putter. Also, what is the shipping delay on the mezz? I was told 2-5 weeks. Could you narrow it down for me. Thanks in advance. 

12 hours ago, Aucaveman said:

I finally got my fitting and ordered a mezz. Came in at 35/67*.  But I got a couple of questions for @labgolf . I’ve never even seen a mezz, much less putted with one. My fitting was done on a 2.1. Do you guys have a return if the mezz isn’t all I hope it is. I have no problem with the 2.1. I just wanted the more conventional looking putter. Also, what is the shipping delay on the mezz? I was told 2-5 weeks. Could you narrow it down for me. Thanks in advance. 

Mezz and 2.1 are supposed to fit the exact same.

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 8° w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood - Ping G425 14.5° w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

Hybrid - Ping G425 17° w/ Accra TZ SIX 85H M5

Hybrid - Ping G430 20.5° w/ Accra TZ6 Proto 85H M5

5 Iron - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Nippon Modus 120S

6-GW - Mizuno JPX 923 Forged w/ Nippon Modus 120S

Sand Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 53° w/ Nippon Modus 125

Lob Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 58° w/ BGT ZNE 130

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Double Wide DB 32.5" w/ Garsen Max Grip

Ball - Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track

48 minutes ago, Aucaveman said:

I’m more concerned about paying $450 for a putter that I’ve never seen or held. Especially when I’d have no problem gaming the 2.1. Nobody I talked to had a mezz that I called within an hour and a half of me. Hopefully it’ll be all that I hope it  is. 

I did the same thing. I ordered one on Friday after a little back and forth and the online video fitting.

It will feel different that the 2.1 but gives you that "normal" putter look. Read in one of the threads about the Mezz that all L.A.B. employees who switched to try it have no gone back to their DF's so that should be a testament as they all have the exclusive ability to play/test these on a regular basis.

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 8° w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood - Ping G425 14.5° w/ Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

Hybrid - Ping G425 17° w/ Accra TZ SIX 85H M5

Hybrid - Ping G430 20.5° w/ Accra TZ6 Proto 85H M5

5 Iron - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Nippon Modus 120S

6-GW - Mizuno JPX 923 Forged w/ Nippon Modus 120S

Sand Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 53° w/ Nippon Modus 125

Lob Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 58° w/ BGT ZNE 130

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Double Wide DB 32.5" w/ Garsen Max Grip

Ball - Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track

7 minutes ago, KhiloD said:

I did the same thing. I ordered one on Friday after a little back and forth and the online video fitting.

It will feel different that the 2.1 but gives you that "normal" putter look. Read in one of the threads about the Mezz that all L.A.B. employees who switched to try it have no gone back to their DF's so that should be a testament as they all have the exclusive ability to play/test these on a regular basis.

That does say alot for the mezz and  thats exactly why I went with it. I just wanted the more conventional looking putter. I’m looking forward to receiving it.